Best selling Bloodshot #1 on the modern era!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Best selling Bloodshot #1 on the modern era!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote:
jmatt wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:Atom and Dinesh never did that.
While I agree with your sentiment about pumping the numbers with incentives and returnability, this statement is not correct. They did it a number of times in the same way and for the same reason.
Not true. Read the interviews. They limited the metal covers to 1 per store. They turned down store exclusives if the store was just trying to make a collectible and not get readers. They revoked a license with an overseas publisher when the publisher started printing 25 copy covers. They printed at least 1000 copies of all the variants from 2012 and 2013 to feed demand. Stores were told they had to pitch Valiant on how they would bring new readers in order to be able to order an exclusive in big amounts. Just ask a store. Paradise here I'm sure knows this.
I’m sure you’re correct on the limited covers. They did make some books returnable though from memory, eg Book of Death, which I think is why the high ratio variants for that book (1:50’s) are relatively commonplace. I’m sure that had circa a 90k print run for that #1, not sure how many readers actually picked up the book though.

Maybe the new guys don’t understand long term collectibility the way Dinesh did which is why they’ve been more loose with the glass cover variant? :?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

IMJ wrote:The *SQUEE* wipes over at Bleeding Heart Cool did an article on this by taking the position that modern Valiant put older Valiant on blast by soliciting this result. I'd link to it, but I don't want to give Bleeding Cool the clicks.
kinggirlfriend wrote:Here's the Bleeding Cool article:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/14 ... es-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMO, this looks like a damn Acclaim book. Valiant should be ashamed of themselves for trying to push this false sales narrative. This also proves that sales do not equal quality. Blah.
facepalm

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
jmatt wrote:
While I agree with your sentiment about pumping the numbers with incentives and returnability, this statement is not correct. They did it a number of times in the same way and for the same reason.
Not true. Read the interviews. They limited the metal covers to 1 per store. They turned down store exclusives if the store was just trying to make a collectible and not get readers. They revoked a license with an overseas publisher when the publisher started printing 25 copy covers. They printed at least 1000 copies of all the variants from 2012 and 2013 to feed demand. Stores were told they had to pitch Valiant on how they would bring new readers in order to be able to order an exclusive in big amounts. Just ask a store. Paradise here I'm sure knows this.
I’m sure you’re correct on the limited covers. They did make some books returnable though from memory, eg Book of Death, which I think is why the high ratio variants for that book (1:50’s) are relatively commonplace. I’m sure that had circa a 90k print run for that #1, not sure how many readers actually picked up the book though.

Maybe the new guys don’t understand long term collectibility the way Dinesh did which is why they’ve been more loose with the glass cover variant? :?
All their #1's have been returnable, something my LCS is just now catching on to.

X-O was given a big discount, something like 57% off cover price for initial ordering, or every store was given the "big store" discount, thus there are a ton of variants left on the shelf from that time. But it only lasted for the #1, and people still ordered a considerable amount of #2's and #3's. There was solid marketing around X-O. There was a reason for three sell outs, it was a damn good book. This is not, so I too question a second print run. I Haven't heard many (if any) glowing reviews on this book, maybe that's a good challenge.

The bit about bringing in readers when you order your exclusive, I've heard that from other stores. Limiting to one metal, that was a thing for certain.
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Dmg is just trying to make some coin. They need to and they need this Valiant buyout to work and well so do we. Can we blame them. They got a comic company and no experience to run it so they hired some giys in the comic industry. Nobody knows the caraters like we do. There is bound to be some hickups. A bald bloodshot would be a big dissapointment and exactly what I would expect. But dinesh is on set so I hope this isnt the case.
So far DMG hasnt won me over. If anything I feel more and more pushed away. This reminds me of the feeling I got after watching starwars tlj. Lukes death didnt mean anything to me and leia was a mcguffin bs mess.
Dmg needs desperately for Bloodshot to be good so I plan on getting the first arc and if its horrible Im gone from that title.
I know valiant isnt big in my city probably less than 15 issues came here.
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I’m sure you’re correct on the limited covers. They did make some books returnable though from memory, eg Book of Death, which I think is why the high ratio variants for that book (1:50’s) are relatively commonplace.
BoD is what I had in mind. Wasn't Unity #1 returnable? I seem to recall big orders for the lenticular cover. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

In any event, I was referring to returnable books with any kind of incentive, in general. It's done to boost the numbers. That's not a provocative thing to say, is it? It's just the way the industry is, these days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
jmatt wrote:

All their #1's have been returnable, something my LCS is just now catching on to.

X-O was given a big discount, something like 57% off cover price for initial ordering, or every store was given the "big store" discount, thus there are a ton of variants left on the shelf from that time. But it only lasted for the #1, and people still ordered a considerable amount of #2's and #3's. There was solid marketing around X-O. There was a reason for three sell outs, it was a damn good book. This is not, so I too question a second print run. I Haven't heard many (if any) glowing reviews on this book, maybe that's a good challenge.

The bit about bringing in readers when you order your exclusive, I've heard that from other stores. Limiting to one metal, that was a thing for certain.
Welp, just had a guy on the Valiant Comics Fan Buy/Sell/Trade FaceBook page state that his shop has 3 glass books available to sell. That blows the one shop/one book idea completely out the window! Collect-ability is gonna be *SQUEE* on these types of books.

At least this will let me prepare for the Livewire, as now the value (to me) will be around $125- $150, especially if they go this same route
Moose

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

For what it's worth, ic2v lists the best-selling Valiant comic of October as X-O # 20, at 7,781 copies sold.

Good for # 245 on the "Top 500 comics" list. It's the only Valiant comic listed in the top 250, and one four listed in the top 300 for the month.

So...best case scenario - this issue of Bloodshot ranks in the top 100?