Whatever happened to that Dr. Mirage CW tv show?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

I remember back in late 2016 there was talk about CW launching a show based on the new Dr. Mirage character from VEI. When searching for more info though, there doesn't appear to be anything since November 2016.

Anyone else know, seen, or heard anything since then? Was curious on if this was still happening in light of the Bloodshot movie proceeding forward.

syzhang28
Re: Whatever happened to that Dr. Mirage CW tv show?

Post by syzhang28 »

markie7235 wrote:I remember back in late 2016 there was talk about CW launching a show based on the new Dr. Mirage character from VEI. When searching for more info though, there doesn't appear to be anything since November 2016.

Anyone else know, seen, or heard anything since then? Was curious on if this was still happening in light of the Bloodshot movie proceeding forward.
The story I heard from the older, white haired executive at Valiant (Frank?) is that Dinesh told DMG it was happening, DMG then leaked the news early to the press and said that it was them that were doing the show and put it together. This was before the deal was done and it hurt Valiant's ability to negotiate a good deal. Dinesh then walked away from the deal because it was a bad deal for Valiant and to teach DMG not to leak Valiant news and focused on Quantum & Woody which they sold as a series with the Russo brothers.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

syzhang28 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:I remember back in late 2016 there was talk about CW launching a show based on the new Dr. Mirage character from VEI. When searching for more info though, there doesn't appear to be anything since November 2016.

The story I heard from the older, white haired executive at Valiant (Frank?) is that Dinesh told DMG it was happening, DMG then leaked the news early to the press and said that it was them that were doing the show and put it together. This was before the deal was done and it hurt Valiant's ability to negotiate a good deal. Dinesh then walked away from the deal because it was a bad deal for Valiant and to teach DMG not to leak Valiant news and focused on Quantum & Woody which they sold as a series with the Russo brothers.
Since then the Russo brothers have pulled out of Q&W once the DMG takeover happened

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

So basically at this point neither Mirage or Q&W are happening that we know of after the snafu and take over

Still could I guess, but if not, that's rather disappointing. I thought both would have made good shows. Though seeing how campy CW super hero shows become, I'd almost prefer they ink something with Netflix for original content where they can can target a more adult audience since some of the themes and content of Valiant are much more mature oriented. Q&W could work as a family comedy/drama show, and Mirage could also depending on direction. Shows like A&A probably not, considering Armstrong's alcoholic nature, and then you have characters like EW, Ninjak, Bloodshot, etc that I don't see how you could ever do any of these short of PG-13/R rated type content given their tendencies for violence.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

This topic had some news today:
https://deadline.com/2018/12/dr-mirage- ... 202512888/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:This topic had some news today:
https://deadline.com/2018/12/dr-mirage- ... 202512888/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outstanding! :clap:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Always like progress, and this would make a great show.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Happy to see some movement on this, hopeful they won't take off in some weird *SQUEE* direction that has little to do with the Valiant universe.

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

jmatt wrote:

100% agreed :D .

Do you think that this will lead to a Valiant version of DC's Arrowverse? It seems like a CW programming thing at the moment, build a universe of many shows around one show.
This is what happens when you try to work...

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by jxm640 »

jmatt wrote:

100% agreed :D .

Do you think that this will lead to a Valiant version of DC's Arrowverse? It seems like a CW programming thing at the moment, build a universe of many shows around one show.
This is what happens when you try to work...

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

depluto wrote:Happy to see some movement on this, hopeful they won't take off in some weird *SQUEE* direction that has little to do with the Valiant universe.
this
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

This seems promising :)
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Strikes me as just more random PR. New writer for a script. Nothing else is actually happening.

Harbinger has a director. Who was already attached as a writer. Nothing else is happening.

DMG has to keep interest up in their properties. I don't see any actual progress being made beyond the Bloodshot movie. Evrything will depend on that anyway. If its successful, more movies and TV will follow. If not, VALIANT will be sold off to someone else soon enough.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

BugsySig wrote:Strikes me as just more random PR. New writer for a script. Nothing else is actually happening.

Harbinger has a director. Who was already attached as a writer. Nothing else is happening.

DMG has to keep interest up in their properties. I don't see any actual progress being made beyond the Bloodshot movie. Evrything will depend on that anyway. If its successful, more movies and TV will follow. If not, VALIANT will be sold off to someone else soon enough.
Speaking of which, I don't think we ever got a definitive answer on whether or not Dan Mintz profits from the Sony Valiant movies. The whole reason why Disney refused to make any new X-Men cartoons or shows during their rivalry with Fox was because Fox owned the license to X-Men. Meaning Fox would always get a major cut of the profits from any X-Men related media. Dino made it sound like it's the same thing for DMG. Sony has financial and creative control over the Valiant properties they're licensing, and DMG only gets the leftovers. I wonder if that license if perpetual, or if it'll expire after the five film deal. The announcement of the Faith movie outside of the five film deal suggest Sony might retain control of Harbinger/Bloodshot for as long as they decide to make making movie for them.

So technically Dr. Mirage is the only Valiant project DMG has had an momentum with that they'll have control over. Assuming they're not licensing the character to the CW, which would give Warner Media and CBS control over the Dr. Mirage license.

I'm interested in seeing how things continue to develop. At this rate, Valiant might be heading towards a situation similar to pre-MCU Marvel, with the rights to their characters scattered to the wind to multiple media companies.

Funcha
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

BugsySig wrote:Strikes me as just more random PR. New writer for a script. Nothing else is actually happening.

I do know for a fact that there's more going on behind the scenes with Harbinger than anyone is publicly saying yet. It's gonna happen.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Funcha wrote:

I do know for a fact that there's more going on behind the scenes with Harbinger than anyone is publicly saying yet. It's gonna happen.
Looks like PR to me too. I'm also not keen because I feel like without Dinesh they won't get anything going in movies or TV.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

syzhang28 wrote:
Funcha wrote:

Looks like PR to me too. I'm also not keen because I feel like without Dinesh they won't get anything going in movies or TV.
To be frank, the moment Dinesh was booted the Bloodshot film was confirmed and production began, so I really don't understand this point of view. If anything, I think it's probably fair to say that the DMG shareholders perceived him as a hinderance to the progression of screen-based media occurring as a result of his deliberately slow (to increase quality, I'm not knocking it) approach to moving projects forward, and since his departure news of screen-based Valiant projects has increased significantly. I think it's fair to say that if anything, more is going to be happening in relation to film/tv series projects than if he were still onboard, regardless of how much we respect his contribution to Valiant

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
Funcha wrote:

To be frank, the moment Dinesh was booted the Bloodshot film was confirmed and production began, so I really don't understand this point of view. If anything, I think it's probably fair to say that the DMG shareholders perceived him as a hinderance to the progression of screen-based media occurring as a result of his deliberately slow (to increase quality, I'm not knocking it) approach to moving projects forward, and since his departure news of screen-based Valiant projects has increased significantly. I think it's fair to say that if anything, more is going to be happening in relation to film/tv series projects than if he were still onboard, regardless of how much we respect his contribution to Valiant
I’m not trying to be negative. It just reads to me as a lateral progression instead of forward momentum on the project. Pilots being ordered, casting, filming...that’s what I’m looking for.

The Harby news wasn’t anything special, but now they’re talking casting. That’s news IMHO, not “we have yet another person writing a script for a pilot that hasn’t been ordered yet,” It was only a few months between the initial casting news for Bloodshot and VD signing on and then filming, but it was years between script news and casting news prior to that. So DM May have some time before anything significant is announced. Or it could be tomorrow. Who knows?

And PR isn’t a bad thing. More hits, more mentions, more likes, more RTs and the better the chance a pilot gets ordered and eventually picked up as a series.