The Schizophrenia of Neville Alcott

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
The Schizophrenia of Neville Alcott

Post by Shadowman99 »

I recently read Ninja-k (11, I think), the issue where Neville gives Ninjak the location of the Eternal Warrior's possessed body in return for his promise that he'll bring Livewire into MI6, which brought once again the following notion to mind.

It's struck me for a while now how the relationship between Neville and Ninjak seems to vary quite significantly from moment to moment. Sometimes Neville seem to practically want to be Colin's best pal, and then at other times he's totally and completely detached and professional.

I can't really decide whether this change in how Neville is portrayed from issue to issue is the result of his being used to varying degrees as a plot device, a concious effort to portray the dichotomy between his professional demeanour and his personal feelings, or simply how he's written by different writers.

Has anyone else noticed this, and what are your thoughts?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Re: The Schizophrenia of Neville Alcott

Post by Shadowman99 »

Just me then I guess.

Man, this is a lonely thread :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I've noticed the flip-flop. It's not like they haven't tried to give him more character--but I feel like it's just a writing issue. That said, I know bosses in real life that are like this, constantly flipping a switch between best friend and task master often times catching their employees off guard. So if I let that experience blur with this fiction, I can accept Neville as he is written.

On the other hand, Ninjak has to be a hard dude to deal with, always cracking wise while being a deadly weapon. I could see wanting to be his best friend--in hopes he wouldn't kill me one day, but being irritated by his British cockiness and just wanting him to get the job done without giving me another headache..

Maybe one day he'll have James Gordon's depth, but right now he's a plot device...

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

He is a plot device.

It is a writer thing, where one writer might be interested in exploring/expanding him as a character, and the next does not.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Shadowman99 wrote: used to varying degrees as a plot device.....simply how he's written by different writers.
These. He's the guy that gives the book some structure and different writers use that in whatever way they need for their story.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Can someone remind me, is Roku Neville’s ex-wife? I can’t recall weather this was revealed and whether it was addressed with Colin King? :? I’m probably due a re-read!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

No way. I seem to recall wondering back when they were doing the short backstories at the end of a bunch of issues if she was his daughter, but I don't think that was ever established.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:No way. I seem to recall wondering back when they were doing the short backstories at the end of a bunch of issues if she was his daughter, but I don't think that was ever established.
Yeah they left it vague. I didn’t think Alcott was that much older than King, but then we don’t know how old Roku is so I guess it’s podsible? Could be his sister? :? :lol:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Didn't Dinesh explain that Neville Alcott isn't a person but a title and there we've seen a few different people in the position at a Valiant summit? That's why his hair keeps changing color? It was meant to be part of the Ninja-k story at the end of the first year I think.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

syzhang28 wrote:Didn't Dinesh explain that Neville Alcott isn't a person but a title and there we've seen a few different people in the position at a Valiant summit? That's why his hair keeps changing color? It was meant to be part of the Ninja-k story at the end of the first year I think.
I’ve never heard that one before!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I’m pretty sure Roku is actually Neville’s former wife - who was having an affair with Colin before she became Roku. Neville doesn’t remember it anymore because of something that happened with the undead monk & the Shadow Seven, but I can’t recall exactly what. There is a memory fracture there that I don’t think has actually been resolved or mentioned in quite some time in the comic. Which is a shame.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

DirtbagSailor wrote:He is a plot device.

It is a writer thing, where one writer might be interested in exploring/expanding him as a character, and the next does not.
Agreed. And I think it’s unfortunate when an interesting sub plot gets dropped & forgotten like this.

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by jxm640 »

grendeljd wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:He is a plot device.

Agreed. And I think it’s unfortunate when an interesting sub plot gets dropped & forgotten like this.
I completely agree with this.

It would be fascinating, in my opinion, for Valiant to do a miniseries explaining how his job as a handler means that eh has to be whatever he needs to be for his assets. Almost a psychological thriller of a comic.