ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Nov 13, 2018 2:10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Shooter’s Solar run
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33:55 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16613
Is it fair to say Shooter’s Solar run can’t be reprinted? Does this help its value?


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:57:54 pm 
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:38:00 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Here, there, at some point everywhere.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
I’d say so. The same for Magnus. Turok less so because it wasn’t Shooter and high print runs.

_________________
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56:17 pm 
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10:29 am
Posts: 3629
Location: York, Maine
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
StarBrand wrote:
Is it fair to say Shooter’s Solar run can’t be reprinted? Does this help its value?


Why can't it be reprinted? :hm:

I think it can, just no reason to do it.

I think if VEI felt they could make money on it they would. I don't know if the pages have been digitally scanned. I remember Dinesh scanning a lot of the VH 1 stuff by hand many years ago. Others may have a better memory of this.

_________________
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05:44 pm 
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:38:00 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Here, there, at some point everywhere.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
wrunow wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Is it fair to say Shooter’s Solar run can’t be reprinted? Does this help its value?


Why can't it be reprinted? :hm:

I think it can, just no reason to do it.

I think if VEI felt they could make money on it they would. I don't know if the pages have been digitally scanned. I remember Dinesh scanning a lot of the VH 1 stuff by hand many years ago. Others may have a better memory of this.


They can’t be reprinted because VEI does not own the rights.

_________________
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38:30 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51:18 pm
Posts: 1526
I think it's for the best if they can't rescan the originals or have access to the original masters. I looked at Harbinger: The Beginning hardcover recently and that digital coloring really doesn't age well. Along with the comic book scans (as opposed to original art scans) making the linework look blurry, it really does an injustice to those classic issues.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07:13 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:16:04 pm
Posts: 1833
Location: out for lunch
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo
Favorite title: Divinity, savage,
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Ya its to bad I'd love a turok hard cover.

_________________
I Miss Dinesh


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15:46 am 
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:12:20 am
Posts: 8876
Location: Calizona Sector, North Am
Ryan wrote:
I think it's for the best if they can't rescan the originals or have access to the original masters. I looked at Harbinger: The Beginning hardcover recently and that digital coloring really doesn't age well. Along with the comic book scans (as opposed to original art scans) making the linework look blurry, it really does an injustice to those classic issues.

They can borrow my originals if they give me a signed HC. :twisted:

Solar #0 page 3. Pencilled by Barry Windsor-Smith, inked by Bob Layton, and colored by Janet Jackson. Signed by Janet Jackson and Bob Layton.

Image

Image

Solar #0 page 15. Pencilled by Barry Windsor-Smith, inked by Bob Layton, and colored by Janet Jackson. Signed by Janet Jackson, Bob Layton, and Jim Shooter.

Image

Image

Solar #0 page 22. Pencilled by Barry Windsor-Smith, inked by Bob Layton, and colored by Janet Jackson. Signed by Janet Jackson and Bob Layton.

Image

Image

Solar #0 page 25. Pencilled by Barry Windsor-Smith, inked by Bob Layton, and colored by Janet Jackson. Signed by Bob Layton.

Image

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30:47 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51:18 pm
Posts: 1526
iggy101us wrote:
They can borrow my originals if they give me a signed HC. :twisted:


:thumb: How awesome would an oversized hardcover of the raw scans be? Like the IDW artist editions, but they would be in color since early Valiant colors were watercolors on actual paper. :cloud9:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44:15 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
I've got the full inks to 3 full issues of Rai (no covers).

I've got the full colors to 1 issue of Archer & Armstrong (no cover). I think DBS has the color cover.

It would be a lot of fun to see something like that in full-size, high quality print.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:17:34 pm 
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:12:20 am
Posts: 8876
Location: Calizona Sector, North Am
nycjadie wrote:
I've got the full colors to 1 issue of Archer & Armstrong (no cover). I think DBS has the color cover.

Is this the cover you're referring to? https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypie ... ce=1361274


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:03:29 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
I do believe that is the one! Yours?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40:48 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 10436
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
Love those pages! :clap:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15:13 am 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
I bet an artist edition of Unity 1 and 0 would sell loads. Valiant, iconic characters, BWS.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11:19 am 
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10:29 am
Posts: 3629
Location: York, Maine
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
Aram wrote:
wrunow wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Is it fair to say Shooter’s Solar run can’t be reprinted? Does this help its value?


Why can't it be reprinted? :hm:

I think it can, just no reason to do it.

I think if VEI felt they could make money on it they would. I don't know if the pages have been digitally scanned. I remember Dinesh scanning a lot of the VH 1 stuff by hand many years ago. Others may have a better memory of this.


They can’t be reprinted because VEI does not own the rights.




Who does then?

I think they own the intellectual property of Acclaim and VALIANT/Voyager Comm. I would think they would have every right to reprint, just not publish new material with the characters.

I'm not a IP lawyer, maybe I'm wrong.

_________________
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:13:47 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51:18 pm
Posts: 1526
wrunow wrote:
Aram wrote:
wrunow wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Is it fair to say Shooter’s Solar run can’t be reprinted? Does this help its value?


Why can't it be reprinted? :hm:

I think it can, just no reason to do it.

I think if VEI felt they could make money on it they would. I don't know if the pages have been digitally scanned. I remember Dinesh scanning a lot of the VH 1 stuff by hand many years ago. Others may have a better memory of this.


They can’t be reprinted because VEI does not own the rights.




Who does then?

I think they own the intellectual property of Acclaim and VALIANT/Voyager Comm. I would think they would have every right to reprint, just not publish new material with the characters.

I'm not a IP lawyer, maybe I'm wrong.


Purely speculation here, I think whoever currently has the rights to publish an IP can also reprint the previous material. Which makes reprinting early Valiant and Unity difficult because of the mix of licensed characters and original Valiant characters.

For an example, look at the Conan license. When Dark Horse had it they were able to reprint all of the old Marvel material, now that Marvel has the license again they can reprint the Dark Horse stuff if they want, but Dark Horse no longer can. Same deal with the Star Wars license.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08:59 pm 
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10:29 am
Posts: 3629
Location: York, Maine
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
Ryan wrote:
wrunow wrote:
Aram wrote:
wrunow wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Is it fair to say Shooter’s Solar run can’t be reprinted? Does this help its value?


Why can't it be reprinted? :hm:

I think it can, just no reason to do it.

I think if VEI felt they could make money on it they would. I don't know if the pages have been digitally scanned. I remember Dinesh scanning a lot of the VH 1 stuff by hand many years ago. Others may have a better memory of this.


They can’t be reprinted because VEI does not own the rights.




Who does then?

I think they own the intellectual property of Acclaim and VALIANT/Voyager Comm. I would think they would have every right to reprint, just not publish new material with the characters.

I'm not a IP lawyer, maybe I'm wrong.


Purely speculation here, I think whoever currently has the rights to publish an IP can also reprint the previous material. Which makes reprinting early Valiant and Unity difficult because of the mix of licensed characters and original Valiant characters.

For an example, look at the Conan license. When Dark Horse had it they were able to reprint all of the old Marvel material, now that Marvel has the license again they can reprint the Dark Horse stuff if they want, but Dark Horse no longer can. Same deal with the Star Wars license.


I get that argument.

I'm going to find out definitively.

_________________
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06:19 pm 
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Posts: 19907
Location: Texas
Favorite character: Kris
When VEI had announced the new Harbinger hardcover in... 2008?, we put the question to Dino about reprinting Solar's appearance and he said that as he understood it, they could reprint the old Valiant material in which the licensed characters appeared but could not advertise them. There was also a question about X-calibre/Sniper.

Could they release a reprint of the VH1 era Magnus or Solar or Turok? I don't know. My inclination is to say no but maybe they could, with a different title, even keeping the names the same in the book. Call it like the Valiant Era 4001 or the Valiant Era: the Lost Land or something like that.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22:49 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
You have to follow the license. All license terms are different. If they can't reprint Magnus/Solar, then that might also mean they can't reprint Unity. I haven't looked at the Valiant Masters, but that could provide a clue if say Magnus was included in those issues.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12:08 pm 
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:38:00 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Here, there, at some point everywhere.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
nycjadie wrote:
You have to follow the license. All license terms are different. If they can't reprint Magnus/Solar, then that might also mean they can't reprint Unity. I haven't looked at the Valiant Masters, but that could provide a clue if say Magnus was included in those issues.


Solar is in the archer and Armstrong omnibus. I think it was just the book runs and covers they had to avoid. Unity is a good question though, since the gk3 were prominent.

_________________
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35:01 pm 
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23:45 pm
Posts: 4386
Location: 619
iggy101us wrote:
Ryan wrote:
I think it's for the best if they can't rescan the originals or have access to the original masters. I looked at Harbinger: The Beginning hardcover recently and that digital coloring really doesn't age well. Along with the comic book scans (as opposed to original art scans) making the linework look blurry, it really does an injustice to those classic issues.

They can borrow my originals if they give me a signed HC. :twisted:



:drool:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:55:06 pm 
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:38:00 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Here, there, at some point everywhere.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Ryan wrote:
I think it's for the best if they can't rescan the originals or have access to the original masters. I looked at Harbinger: The Beginning hardcover recently and that digital coloring really doesn't age well. Along with the comic book scans (as opposed to original art scans) making the linework look blurry, it really does an injustice to those classic issues.

I think Harbinger the beginning was the worst or those early hcs.

_________________
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:55:37 pm 
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:38:00 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Here, there, at some point everywhere.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Of*

_________________
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42:36 am 
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10:29 am
Posts: 3629
Location: York, Maine
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
I asked someone who would have a definitive answer and he basically said VEI would have to make a deal to reprint, but if someone else wanted to reprint they'd have to make a deal with them pretty much.

So I guess you guys are right.

_________________
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18:39 pm 
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:12:20 am
Posts: 8876
Location: Calizona Sector, North Am
Aram wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
You have to follow the license. All license terms are different. If they can't reprint Magnus/Solar, then that might also mean they can't reprint Unity. I haven't looked at the Valiant Masters, but that could provide a clue if say Magnus was included in those issues.


Solar is in the archer and Armstrong omnibus. I think it was just the book runs and covers they had to avoid. Unity is a good question though, since the gk3 were prominent.

Love this project from VCS.

Unity binding project. Signed by Mike Cavallaro, Janet Jackson, Bob Layton, Jim Shooter.
Image
Image
Bob Layton added a Solar sketch at the San Francisco WonderCon in April 2011.
Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34:38 pm 
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:07:18 pm
Posts: 22255
Location: Adrift on the Seas of Fate
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman
iggy101us wrote:
Aram wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
You have to follow the license. All license terms are different. If they can't reprint Magnus/Solar, then that might also mean they can't reprint Unity. I haven't looked at the Valiant Masters, but that could provide a clue if say Magnus was included in those issues.


Solar is in the archer and Armstrong omnibus. I think it was just the book runs and covers they had to avoid. Unity is a good question though, since the gk3 were prominent.

Love this project from VCS.

Unity binding project. Signed by Mike Cavallaro, Janet Jackson, Bob Layton, Jim Shooter.
Image
Image
Bob Layton added a Solar sketch at the San Francisco WonderCon in April 2011.
Image

So Nice.
:clap:

_________________
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobby97801 and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group