New interview with the 'new' Bloodshot creative team

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

https://comicbook.com/comics/2018/09/17 ... -grevioux/

Why bring on another writer for this 8-issue 'ongoing'?

Also somewhat of a concern - the new artist in Ken Lashley goes on to say:
This is the first time ... I did not realize what I was getting into when I signed on to this book.
her also says
I haven't drawn so many characters with guns. Working on my gun game. There's a lot of blood, a lot of splatter. It's a lot of fun. You don't get a chance to ... You just don't get a chance to draw crazy ... It's kind of a horror book. It's horror and ... I'm not known for that. I'm known for superheroes in tights and capes and that kind of stuff.
Now, I get that artists and writers for that matter wont' always know the in's and out's of the books they're hired to work on at first, but, given this is a job, you'd think some research and understanding of what's been done before is important right?

Also of note from this interview is the persistent pushing of Bloodshot's origin - didn't we have a #0 written by Matt Kindt which was actually pretty good? And there was a Bloodshot H.A.R.D Corps #0 which showed some pretty cool early PRS detail. So, you know, there HAVE been dips into Bloodshot's origin. I get that this is different (and I'm looking forward to it) but don't discount the stories that have come before.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: New interview with the 'new' Bloodshot creative team

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Also of note from this interview is the persistent pushing of Bloodshot's origin - didn't we have a #0 written by Matt Kindt which was actually pretty good? And there was a Bloodshot H.A.R.D Corps #0 which showed some pretty cool early PRS detail. So, you know, there HAVE been dips into Bloodshot's origin. I get that this is different (and I'm looking forward to it) but don't discount the stories that have come before.
I love both those issues and always felt like they explained enough. A little mystery is good. And I thought Lemire's take on the character showed him that it's not important who he was, it's the man he his in the now going forward that's important.

For me the make or break it moment will be if they ignore all the things Lemire laid down when they pick the character back up where we left off. Ignoring HW2 hopefully.

Artwise, it looks ok but it too seems like a step back. A bit more comicbooky than what we see at Valiant. Bart Sears on the HARD Corp title was probably the closest we've seen. But since then it's had a more sophisticated bent, Mico Suayan, Butch Guice, Lewis Larosa, Tomas Giorello, Doug Braithwaite.

I like that in the interview everyone is excited and wants to bring their A game. They seem inspired. All they need to do is read everything that came before and don't pee on it. Piece of cake.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

Thanks for sharing. My reactions:

- This is not good. Now I'm worried.
- Reads like the original writers quit.
- Reads like the artist is not doing his best to make the situation work.
- Reads like Valiant are going to undo what I thought was a really good job by Dinesh, Warren, Kindt and Lemire and building a complex character.
- Reads like they may not be working in sync with the movie (which I remember Dinesh talked about as part of the full origin of Bloodshot with Kindt's #0 and Lemire's run).

Please don't break Valiant, DMG

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

syzhang28 wrote:Thanks for sharing. My reactions:

- This is not good. Now I'm worried.
- Reads like the original writers quit.
- Reads like the artist is not doing his best to make the situation work.
- Reads like Valiant are going to undo what I thought was a really good job by Dinesh, Warren, Kindt and Lemire and building a complex character.
- Reads like they may not be working in sync with the movie (which I remember Dinesh talked about as part of the full origin of Bloodshot with Kindt's #0 and Lemire's run).

Please don't break Valiant, DMG
I was looking forward to Zac Thompson after seeing what he is doing with Cates on RELAY. I wonder if its the same scenario, not knowing how Relay's writing duties are broken down.

On the other hand. I like the art in a 'it reminds me of NEW 52 era DC' in a good way.

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

I may be the minority still, but my reaction at this point is still "yay....another origin story *sarcasm*"

Wake me up when Valiant stops making new revised origin stories for their characters and starts doing something interesting again. I just can't bring myself to read another angle of an origin story for Valiant characters. It seems like all they know how to do anymore, and it's frankly grown tired and old.

Tony_H
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Looks like an Acclaim-era relaunch to me, but blander than V2. Pass.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Where are Thompson & Nadler? Did they quit the project?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Where are Thompson & Nadler? Did they quit the project?
"Grevioux, whose work includes helping to create the Underworld franchise as well as numerous series for Marvel and DC, will be scripting the story created by Lonnie Nadler and Zac Thompson."

It sounds like Thompson and Nadler are just plotting and Grevioux is scripting dialogue.

I agree with Tony H, it does look very V2. :(

Joshua
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I didn't take Lashley's comments as negative. A horror-ish take on the origin could be awesome. And I think the art shown is cool.

A new writer on issue 2 leaves so many questions. I have read Grevioux's work and liked it buthe's not a name that jumps out as a writer when thinking of who could write Bloodshot. We'll see. It does soung, though, that Karl Bollers is pretty tight with Ken and Kevin and that could be good. If those 2 guys that were tapped to do the writing are just gone then there's going to be speculation as to why and that's never a good thing.

AnarchoMambo
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Agreed: Bollers is an asset here. Had some wonderful confidence-inducing moments with him at 2018 C2E2. If he’s still genuinely excited about this project (it’s impossible to tell from the interview if he’s displaying confidence or false bluster), then I will certainly remain calm, in spite of how poorly it looks to lose a really promising writing team.
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Well they deleted Bloodshot from all their social media which is a pretty clear sign. DMG strike again. Man I miss Dinesh, Warren, Hunter and co.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

syzhang28 wrote:
Well they deleted Bloodshot from all their social media which is a pretty clear sign. DMG strike again. Man I miss Dinesh, Warren, Hunter and co.
same.