Re-reading Magnus and got to the Malevs...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hawkboy71
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Re-reading Magnus and got to the Malevs...

Post by hawkboy71 »

Wow, I forgot how much I love this story line.
I think Magnus was really struggling creatively after it's first excellent 10 or 12 issues. For me it was actually very close to being dropped back in the day. But John Ostrander really turned things around with an exciting story that made me a full on Magnus fan again. What are the general views on here about Ostrander on Magnus? I will say the only negative on this for me was that gold armour he ends up wearing... not a fan. What about you?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Re-reading Magnus and got to the Malevs...

Post by jmatt »

I loved the title. Steel Nation is an awesome arc, as is the Malev Invasion. What a fantastic book!

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

Such a great comic, one of the only valiant titles that started off strong, and managed to still stay pretty good after the bob layton take over. The fact that there is a director's cut of steel Nation out there with expanded pages and story, and it will never be published, and I believe the extra pages were stolen from the valiant offices, bums me out in this weird way, where are those pages, they had them listed as an official release, it was almost released damn it!

hawkboy71
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by hawkboy71 »

I thought after Unity the title suffered a bit but got right back on track with Ostrander. Am I alone in the Gold Armour hate though?

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

hawkboy71 wrote:I thought after Unity the title suffered a bit but got right back on track with Ostrander. Am I alone in the Gold Armour hate though?
I hated the gold armour also, but it was the 90s and there was always a move to re-visualize characters and make them "cooler" looking, whatever the hell that means.

I liked the initial Malev storyline, but I just felt the Malev arc ran far too long in Magnus and the Rai series. Almost all of Magnus after the first 20 issues could pretty much be defined by the Malev Wars (since there were technically two seperate ones in the series). They weren't bad, but after awhile it felt like they were running out of creative juices on what to do with Magnus or who to have him fight.