CBR- "20 Valiant Characters That Are Actually Rip-Offs..."

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

https://www.cbr.com/valiant-characters-rip-offs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*SQUEE* CBR. This list is just... So wrong on so many levels. facepalm

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Re: CBR- "20 Valiant Characters That Are Actually Rip-Offs..

Post by possumgrease »

Boy, some of those are a stretch. Pete being an analog for Cyclops? Who knew?!?

battlepark
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: uh...All of them!

Post by battlepark »

how are they comparing Faith to the "New" Ms. Marvel? Faith is an older character.
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Wow. Some of those are just stupid (Faith/Ms Marvel?). Some of their “ripped off” characters are rip offs themselves (Dormamu? Like he was the 1st ever evil sorcerer? Dr. Manhattan was a rip off of Captain Atom by definition, who was a rip off of Dr. *SQUEE* Solar!). And a bunch are actually contemporaries of the VH1 originals (like Constantine/Dr. Mirage and Azrael/Archer). Not to mention VALIANT was founded by former Marvel EiC Jim Shooter who wanted to tell modernized stories of the characters at Marvel who had grown stale, but that he wasn’t allowed to...of course they’re “rip-offs”!!! But how much is Shadowman actually like Ghost Rider, Harbinger like X-Men, or Aric like Iron Man?!? Anyone ever heard of Moon Knight the Bat-Man rip-off, Deadpool the Deathstroke rip-off, or Lobo the Wolverine rip-off?!?No one cares if you tell good stories with cool art. Seriously, this kind of trash is why no one ever has a chance to break through the Big 2’s strangle hold. Like, was this sponsored by Marvel?!?

I’m not sure what this author or CBR have against VALIANT (I mean, how negative is the title alone?!?), but at least the comments are all calling the guy out for being an idiot.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

F**k CBR

Fake comic book news.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Geez... this was a poor attempt, even by listicle standards.

I’d love to see the author apply a similar effort to all of Liefelds Extreme creations. Now that would make for some humorous reading.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Click bait. I was amused to learn recently that Forbes only pays authors (noticed I didn’t use the word reporter) based solely on traffic. Makes sense right?

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

Wow...that was awful..
Haha...the only one they got close was xo/iron man...
But it should have been xo equals Conan and iron man with some venom..
As in Layton and bws + venom..

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Uses "rip-off" in the title and goes on to say "It’s not intended to be a slight on Valiant or their characters in any way".
That's quality journalism right there. :roll:

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

I didn't know John Constantine invented the concept of mediums, and the afterlife. This is such big news for me. DC Comics should definitely sue the creators of Ghost, Ghostbusters, Paranormal Activity, Poltergeist, and Steven King. How dare they infringe on DC's copyright on the afterlife. Don't they know DC Comics wrote the bible? Degenerates.

This is even worse then when Disney stole the plot of Snow White from Astro Boy. Honestly it disgusts me how all American media is clearly a rip-off of superior Japanese manga. I still can't believe that William Shakespeare plagiarized Super Mario Bros. and renamed it Hamlet. I mean the evidence is all right there. I read a blog that said that a homeless guy who used to work in Universal Pictures's mail room heard from a streetwalker that used to give lap dances to Eisenhower told Jimmy Hendrix that all DC and Marvel characters are just rip-offs of characters from the Emoji Movie, the most celebrated cinematic masterpiece in all of human history, which was in itself a sequel to Thomas the Tank Engine.

I might just sell all of my Valiant Comics now that I know that Dinesh Shamdasani, who "created" the Valiant Universe six months ago in a basement in Idaho, stole all of the character concepts from Vin Diesel's the Shining. Also how dare Steven Spielberg steal Orson Welles' sled? Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space). Honestly, I don't why people don't do their research before supporting people who are clearly art thieves.

Some high quality journalism from CBR. It's nice to know they're so committed to such hard hitting journalism, exposing the real injustices in our society. They should hire Alex Jones as their lead editor. More people need to know the truth that reptilian/Celtic/grey aliens created Superman as part of a cover up for the 1984 Olympics to launder money into off shore bank accounts to fund their fidget spinner factory to give the Illuminati control over the trademark rights to Tommy Wiseu's beloved franchise, Ronald McDonald.

Also Iron Man is a rip-off of Halo. #cancelstevencolbert #outrage #gooutsideandrideabikeorsomething #thisisthedumbestthingI'veeverreadandIreadthescriptforDragonBallEvolution(Spoilerit'saweful) #youknowitstimetoreexamineyourlifechoiceswhenyoumakeacareeroutwritingclickbaitarticlestotrytocapitalizeonoutrageculture.contributingthelargerprobleminamericancultureofthedumbingdownofboththemediaandthesocietywelivein #hashtag #PowerGirlRule34
Last edited by SuperMage on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:41:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

:funnypost: Quality rant.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I am encouraged by this.

They are obviously going for hate clicks and they think there are enough people that will get mad about Valiant characters that this kind of garbage is worth their time to publish.

This is a good thing. Except CBR - if I needed to give the comics internet sites an enema, that is where I would stick the hose.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Didn't read it because the premise is dumb. All characters are amalgams of others. And even when not, is NO other publisher allowed to use a certain aspect of superhero-dom simply because Marvel and DC dominated the space for 40 years prior? Please.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

SuperMage wrote:I didn't know John Constantine invented the concept of mediums, and the afterlife. This is such big news for me. DC Comics should definitely sue the creators of Ghost, Ghostbusters, Paranormal Activity, Poltergeist, and Steven King. How dare they infringe on DC's copyright on the afterlife. Don't they know DC Comics wrote the bible? Degenerates.

This is even worse then when Disney stole the plot of Snow White from Astro Boy. Honestly it disgusts me how all American media is clearly a rip-off of superior Japanese manga. I still can't believe that William Shakespeare plagiarized Super Mario Bros. and renamed it Hamlet. I mean the evidence is all right there. I read a blog that said that a homeless guy who used to work in Universal Pictures's mail room heard from a streetwalker that used to give lap dances to Eisenhower told Jimmy Hendrix that all DC and Marvel characters are just rip-offs of characters from the Emoji Movie, the most celebrated cinematic masterpiece in all of human history, which was in itself a sequel to Thomas the Tank Engine.

I might just sell all of my Valiant Comics now that I know that Dinesh Shamdasani, who "created" the Valiant Universe six months ago in a basement in Idaho, stole all of the character concepts from Vin Diesel's the Shining. Also how dare Steven Spielberg steal Orson Welles' sled? Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space). Honestly, I don't why people don't do their research before supporting people who are clearly art thieves.

Some high quality journalism from CBR. It's nice to know they're so committed to such hard hitting journalism, exposing the real injustices in our society. They should hire Alex Jones as their lead editor. More people need to know the truth that reptilian/Celtic/grey aliens created Superman as part of a cover up for the 1984 Olympics to launder money into off shore bank accounts to fund their fidget spinner factory to give the Illuminati control over the trademark rights to Tommy Wiseu's beloved franchise, Ronald McDonald.

Also Iron Man is a rip-off of Halo. #cancelstevencolbert #outrage #gooutsideandrideabikeorsomething #thisisthedumbestthingI'veeverreadandIreadthescriptforDragonBallEvolution(Spoilerit'saweful) #youknowitstimetoreexamineyourlifechoiceswhenyoumakeacareeroutwritingclickbaitarticlestotrytocapitalizeonoutrageculture.contributingthelargerprobleminamericancultureofthedumbingdownofboththemediaandthesocietywelivein #hashtag #PowerGirlRule34
:hm:

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

SuperMage wrote:I didn't know John Constantine invented the concept of mediums, and the afterlife. This is such big news for me. DC Comics should definitely sue the creators of Ghost, Ghostbusters, Paranormal Activity, Poltergeist, and Steven King. How dare they infringe on DC's copyright on the afterlife. Don't they know DC Comics wrote the bible? Degenerates.

Made me laugh so hard

SuperMage
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

greg wrote:
SuperMage wrote:Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Well I guess now I know how the custom ranking system works. A little dissapointed it wasn't #PowerGirlRule34

greg

Post by greg »

SuperMage wrote:
greg wrote:
SuperMage wrote:Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Well I guess now I know how the custom ranking system works. A little dissapointed it wasn't #PowerGirlRule34
The custom ranking system requires 3,000 posts, unless it doesn't. Very rarely does a post earn custom title honors before 3,000 posts.

FYI... PowerGirlRule34 wasn't funny enough... by a long shot. I'm tempted to revoke custom status since you think you know better how it should work. :twisted:

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

The article title, combined with the opening paragraphs really say it all: "I've made you read my article using clickbait, but similarities exist between characters in Marvel and DC’s own stables after all, so it’s nothing new".

So why should anyone bother reading this article when the author themselves tell us immediately that there's no point to it? :roll:

Read the article for lolz anyway. Some of his comparisons are pretty reasonable, and a lot of them are pretty tenuous, but this is the kind of thing that can't fail: I always say that if someone *wants* to find something in an artistic product then they'll always find a way to justify their interpretation on what they wanted to find all along.

Bloodshot: He's a soldier, so he's like Captain America. And he can heal his own wounds too, so he's like Wolverine, but Ninjak can heal his own wounds too, so I guess Bloodshot is also like Ninjak... Or is Ninjak like Wolverine? Or is ninjak like Bloodshot? Oh, and Deadpool can heal wounds too, so I guess he's like Bloodshot too, or vice-versa, but Ninjak must be like Deadpool too because he can heal wounds and uses swords... Oh I don't know, it's all so confusing.

The author is right: it has all been done before so what point is there in even drawing this type of comparison? Oh, that's right, none, because he told us that in the second paragraph.

Such a dumb article :lol:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:Click bait. I was amused to learn recently that Forbes only pays authors (noticed I didn’t use the word reporter) based solely on traffic. Makes sense right?
Or in "exposure" (i.e. not at all). My sister has a long-time movie review website and was approached by Forbes to write for them. Of course, they weren't looking to pay her, even though they're a multi-million dollar company. Screw Forbes.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

CBR.com got hijacked by SJW's.

It's been awful.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

The only thing worse than SJWs are those who complain about them.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Chiclo wrote:The only thing worse than SJWs are those who complain about them.
Permission to quote this at all times? I’ll be sure to cite you in your preferred format (APA, Chicago, ?)

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote:
Permission to quote this at all times? I’ll be sure to cite you in your preferred format (APA, Chicago, ?)
:thumb:

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

What damage are these complainers doing?

greg

Post by greg »

Sven the Returned wrote:
What damage are these complainers doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;