DMG stock down 10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
DMG stock down 10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%!!!

Post by syzhang28 »

Hearing lots of bad rumors about DMG. The are having money trouble. Tried to get a loan but it didn't work out. Their stock is down 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% and counting. They are trying to get some press so they can raise money in China. Announcing any movie projects Valiant has (Faith which we had heard about from Dinesh in the past, Quantum & Woody just got announced again today a year after the first announcement etc) and trying to do a deal with a studio at any terms just so they can say they have the deal and raise money in China. So much for slow and steady or the long term approach...

https://image.ibb.co/g9CxCT/Screen_Shot ... _13_PM.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CORRECTION: 30%. I guess stocks in China can only fall 10% a day so the DMG stock has fallen the maximum each day for 3 days.

https://image.ibb.co/n7W7xT/Screen_Shot ... _12_PM.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DOUBLE CORRECTION: 40%. The stock has fallen the maximum amount it is allowed to in China everyday since it began trading again...

https://image.ibb.co/cj58NT/Screen_Shot ... _28_AM.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRIPLE CORRECTION: Over 50%! Stock fell 10% again in the last day. It is now down more than 50% (including compounding). Will the fall stop?

https://image.ibb.co/fT0nZ8/Screen_Shot ... _42_PM.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NEW WEEK, NEW CORRECTION: Over 60%. The stock free fall continues past the week news hit that DMG are running out of money and loans need to be paid back.

Last edited by syzhang28 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11:53 am, edited 10 times in total.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: DMG stock down 20%

Post by BugsySig »

It’s Acclaim all over again. Maybe Dino can repurchase the rights when they go bankrupt with the money they paid him off in his severance...that would be Karma.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

To be fair, the entertainment area as a whole hasn't been great at the stock market. Even Disney has struggled over the last year from a stock price.

Now if the loan piece is true, that is concern because then it's not a market issue but a business issue.

I don't always trust stock prices as a reflection of a business. Stock fluctuations have more to do with investor confidence or fickleness than company performance. Better evaluation is company performance, longevity, profit/earnings, etc. Now I don't know much about DMG on that front since I've never investigated investing in them, but if they are struggling in any of those areas, those are definitely warning signs to be fearful of.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Wonder if this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the total numbers. Last quarter, showed a loss of $200M. Based on that alone, maybe people are thinking they need to bail (seems like a 1 day loss). What regular investors may not realize is that they purchased 100% of a comic book company that will be putting out movies.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the week unfolds
Moose

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Wonder if this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the total numbers. Last quarter, showed a loss of $200M. Based on that alone, maybe people are thinking they need to bail (seems like a 1 day loss). What regular investors may not realize is that they purchased 100% of a comic book company that will be putting out movies.

Right, looking at a single day is very misleading

If you look at their 5 year performance, their biggest drop happened between April and October of 2017 (at least in recent times), long before news of their purchase of Valiant. So any money woes or stock issue existed long before they had Valiant. Valiant honestly can only help them. I haven't found specifics, but it probably has to do with Q2 financial results. Typically if company's underperform from forecast, you see this type of single day plunge. Keep an eye on it for awhile. Stocks/companies should never be judged on a single days ups/downs at the market.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

markie7235 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Wonder if this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the total numbers. Last quarter, showed a loss of $200M. Based on that alone, maybe people are thinking they need to bail (seems like a 1 day loss). What regular investors may not realize is that they purchased 100% of a comic book company that will be putting out movies.

If you look at their 5 year performance, their biggest drop happened between April and October of 2017 (at least in recent times), long before news of their purchase of Valiant. So any money woes or stock issue existed long before they had Valiant. Valiant honestly can only help them. I haven't found specifics, but it probably has to do with Q2 financial results. Typically if company's underperform from forecast, you see this type of single day plunge. Keep an eye on it for awhile. Stocks/companies should never be judged on a single days ups/downs at the market.
Just an interesting thought,

If last quarter, there was a loss of $200M, and that's the same quarter as the buy out numbers, we can assume that the buy out cost DMG somewhere in the $200M+ category (depending on if they had any positive growth before the buy out). Now, I know that DMG already had a shade over 50%, so they had controlling interest, but if the remaining interest in Valiant was say 48%, and Dinesh owned half of that 48%, then that's a pretty nice buy out!

What did he purchase Valiant for? Or should I say, what portion of the purchase was his?
Moose

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
markie7235 wrote:

Just an interesting thought,

If last quarter, there was a loss of $200M, and that's the same quarter as the buy out numbers, we can assume that the buy out cost DMG somewhere in the $200M+ category (depending on if they had any positive growth before the buy out). Now, I know that DMG already had a shade over 50%, so they had controlling interest, but if the remaining interest in Valiant was say 48%, and Dinesh owned half of that 48%, then that's a pretty nice buy out!

What did he purchase Valiant for? Or should I say, what portion of the purchase was his?
It's possible, but I don't think we can make that assumption. Valiant is only one piece of DMG's portfolio, and to be honest, I'd be shocked if it was worth $200M. Also, doing a little research, looks like DMG put a freeze on stocks in February. Also at the end of January, one of the controlling share holders sold 106M shares (or 6% of the company stock) to a chinese firm called Anxin. This type of sell off can also impact share price. So if that happened January, and then there was a freeze placed in February, we may now be seeing the impact on shares from numerous events after the freeze was lifted.

My guess is this drop is completely unrelated to Valiant, the $200M is unrelated to Valiant, and I'm sure it's a market correction as a whole.

Also, keep in mind the Chinese stock exchange has been in rough shape over the last year, there's now an unofficial trade war between China and the US, and a lot of other global events in play. I think the stock price drop we're all seeing has a lot of external factors driving it compared to the overall health of DMG as a whole. Also, if I read it correctly, looks like the company has $17B in assets, so if that's the case, pretty sure their ok for awhile, at least long enough to get the movies out.....unless Dan Mintz sells off DMG/Valiant to some other party, and then who knows....I'm sure his hope is to ultimately sell Valiant to some major studio (like Disney or Warner Brothers, similar to DC and Marvel) ultimately, and there's plenty of studios looking for something like that since Super Hero movies are hot right now. Valiant is the last untapped major Super Hero universe, so I honestly don't think finding a buyer would be difficult. But if he can get successful movies out first before courting buyers, he can increase sale value to maximize profit.

Not what any Valiant fans probably want to hear, but Dan is an investor, and being an investor in stocks and so forth myself, I understand the approach. It's honestly exactly what I would do. We can only hope that he finds a buyer who actually cares about the Valiant Universe and what it can be that keeps it all intact.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

It's simple, Mintz isn't a likable person no one in Hollywood is taking meetings with him unless Dinesh is involved

Today TBS announcement for Q&W was simply to stop the bleeding they needed something from the stock nosediving the last few days

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Oooh, it's my turn: DOOOOOM!

syzhang28
Re: DMG stock down 20% CORRECTION: 30%

Post by syzhang28 »

CORRECTION: 30%. I guess stocks in China can only fall 10% a day so the DMG stock has fallen the maximum each day for 3 days.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

betterthanezra wrote:It's simple, Mintz isn't a likable person no one in Hollywood is taking meetings with him unless Dinesh is involved

Today TBS announcement for Q&W was simply to stop the bleeding they needed something from the stock nosediving the last few days

-Brian
Not trying to sound snarky, but this sounds like opinion because of how much everyone on this site loved Dinesh. While I'm by no means a fan of Mintz, I highly doubt this statement is true and would ask for verifiable evidence to show it is. If we're being real, Hollywood doesn't give two figs about Dinesh. In fact, Mintz, or DMG is probably more known to Hollywood than Dinesh was. And at the end of the day, Hollywood makes decision and movies based on marketable box office smash success potential. If they see money in the Valiant universe (and they do) then they will work with Mintz or whoever. About the only way you really get blacklisted in Hollywood is if you're a known predator, racist, or seriously wronged a major Hollywood player...And like I said, Valiant is currently the ONLY super hero universe (with continuity at least) not yet signed to a major studio, and with how hot super hero movies are currently, that makes Valiant of extreme interest to major studios currently missing out on that action.

I'm not trying to pick sides here, but let's not let our dislike of Mintz and DMG cloud reality on how these things work. What happened to Dinesh sucks, yes. Demonizing Mintz doesn't make it better, and he did what any reasonable investor would do, especially after someone you loaned a substantial amount of money too didn't complete their end to find additional capital as agreed. They had a contract, Dinesh failed to meet part of his end of the contract, and Mintz/DMG exercised their rights within the contract. We can call Mintz the "devil" for it, but that's a bit unfair considering he took a risk on Dinesh/Valiant in the first place, and when conditions in the contract weren't met, he performed his duty as Dinesh agreed to when both signed. Had Mintz not done what he did, he would have failed the investor's and board members of DMG that he has a commitment to, and probably would have been out of a job. The business world is cutt-throat, especially when we're talking loans. Having been a business owner myself of a successful retail small business, even I know not learning the business end and financial end of the business is very dangerous. Never sign up for or agree to anything you don't believe you can reasonably accomplish. Because banks and investors will not give you second chances, they will seize what they can.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Maybe now is a good time to buy. :hm:

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

syzhang28 wrote:CORRECTION: 30%. I guess stocks in China can only fall 10% a day so the DMG stock has fallen the maximum each day for 3 days.

I don't think this is unique to DMG. The Chinese stock market as a whole has been tumbling for awhile, especially given the recent US/China relations.

As for DMG, this may have more to do with some of their other assets aside from Valiant. If that's the case, they may choose to sell off those assets. You want a different example, look at Sony. Their performance as a whole has been rocky, but no one would say it's because of the performance of the Playstation. It's their other assets that are under-performing. The Playstation is one of their more profitable ventures, but the overall company still has some financial problems, more related to their motion picture studios and music investments. There's a reason they've partnered with Disney now to produce Spider-Man movies.

The market as a whole globally is ping-ponging right now daily, and many analysts have been saying for awhile it's heading towards a correction (ie, stocks are going to drop). This happens every so many years. You need look no further back than 2008/2009. Are we heading for another recession? Possibly, which is why most of my cash in my stock portfolios is just sitting for the moment until I see can see where it ends up. I think the bigger concern to watch for DMG will be their cash flow and quarterly earnings throughout the year.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

Chiclo wrote:Maybe now is a good time to buy. :hm:
Well, if all these movies and TV shows are really happening, it possibly is. Also, if you think DMG really does intend to market Valiant high and then sell for a nice profit (my personal belief), than there potentially is a nice profit to be made here. I'd consider DMG a risky investment currently, but given how low the price per share is on DMG, I'd argue it's a fairly low investment. The other thing is it looks like they've do offer a dividend, which is nice, because it means they pay something to you just for owning stock. It's not a great dividend, but they still offer one. Where you would want to worry is if they talk about holding off on paying dividend any quarter, because that's a sure sign of financial troubles.

I have never personally bought stock not sold on the New York Stock exchange, so it's a little harder for me to provide as good of an analysis on DMG stock. But if you're comfortable investing in foreign markets, it doesn't seem like the price per share is all that high. The highest DMG stock has been over the last 5+ years was around $28, so if better times are in the future for DMG, they certainly have a lot of potential upward movement from where they currently are....again, if you believe this is just a current slump and not a long term issue

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

FYI, *this* probably has the most to do with the DMG stock slide: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/brief-dm ... 49056.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the freeze on stock sales I mentioned previously that occurred back in February was because there were plans to re-structure the assets of the company (ie, probably someone buying in, or sell off of some assets, etc). Appears one or more parties backed out of the deal, so stock sales resumed on 7/9/2018. Typically when something like this happens, it's viewed negatively by investors, hence, when the sale of stock started up again this week on DMG stock, you can see the tumbling prices being mentioned.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dinesh is loved here for a lots of reasons. He did what everyone said couldn't be done with Valiant and he made it look easy. There was no contract that allowed DMG to push Dinesh out. Dinesh did not fail in a deal with DMG. The 2012 Valiant team built a successful company that had movie deals, licenses and hit comics and DMG wanted to take credit for it. They bought all the other investors out. There was a betrayal of Dinesh by other investors for money and DMG was able to push him out as majority owner. The rest of the key staff and many creators left in retaliation and because they didn't want to work for DMG. Even people like Atom and Annie who both were promoted right after left. That's why DMG keep announcing projects Dinesh and team put together like Faith and Quantum & Woody. They are trying to prove that they are players. Probably more so now that the stock is tanking. Don't forget Dinesh came from Hollywood before he was at Valiant. I wouldn't assume Hollywood knows him more than Dan Mintz. I'm not sure which way it goes but Dinesh did bring in the shared universe deal at Sony, get Bloodshot greenlighted, get a major star in Vin Diesel, bring the Russo bros to Valiant and many other Hollywood people like JMS, the zombieland director, the pirates writer, Drax and more I'm too lazy to look up right now. They next step is for DMG to do the same or better. Time will tell. Can they keep publishing as strong, can they grow the company every year like it has been, can they bring the TV and movie shows they like to make press releases about.
markie7235 wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:It's simple, Mintz isn't a likable person no one in Hollywood is taking meetings with him unless Dinesh is involved

-Brian
Not trying to sound snarky, but this sounds like opinion because of how much everyone on this site loved Dinesh. While I'm by no means a fan of Mintz, I highly doubt this statement is true and would ask for verifiable evidence to show it is. If we're being real, Hollywood doesn't give two figs about Dinesh. In fact, Mintz, or DMG is probably more known to Hollywood than Dinesh was. And at the end of the day, Hollywood makes decision and movies based on marketable box office smash success potential. If they see money in the Valiant universe (and they do) then they will work with Mintz or whoever. About the only way you really get blacklisted in Hollywood is if you're a known predator, racist, or seriously wronged a major Hollywood player...And like I said, Valiant is currently the ONLY super hero universe (with continuity at least) not yet signed to a major studio, and with how hot super hero movies are currently, that makes Valiant of extreme interest to major studios currently missing out on that action.

I'm not trying to pick sides here, but let's not let our dislike of Mintz and DMG cloud reality on how these things work. What happened to Dinesh sucks, yes. Demonizing Mintz doesn't make it better, and he did what any reasonable investor would do, especially after someone you loaned a substantial amount of money too didn't complete their end to find additional capital as agreed. They had a contract, Dinesh failed to meet part of his end of the contract, and Mintz/DMG exercised their rights within the contract. We can call Mintz the "devil" for it, but that's a bit unfair considering he took a risk on Dinesh/Valiant in the first place, and when conditions in the contract weren't met, he performed his duty as Dinesh agreed to when both signed. Had Mintz not done what he did, he would have failed the investor's and board members of DMG that he has a commitment to, and probably would have been out of a job. The business world is cutt-throat, especially when we're talking loans. Having been a business owner myself of a successful retail small business, even I know not learning the business end and financial end of the business is very dangerous. Never sign up for or agree to anything you don't believe you can reasonably accomplish. Because banks and investors will not give you second chances, they will seize what they can.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

syzhang28 wrote:Dinesh is loved here for a lots of reasons. He did what everyone said couldn't be done with Valiant and he made it look easy. There was no contract that allowed DMG to push Dinesh out. Dinesh did not fail in a deal with DMG. The 2012 Valiant team built a successful company that had movie deals, licenses and hit comics and DMG wanted to take credit for it. They bought all the other investors out. There was a betrayal of Dinesh by other investors for money and DMG was able to push him out as majority owner. The rest of the key staff and many creators left in retaliation and because they didn't want to work for DMG. Even people like Atom and Annie who both were promoted right after left. That's why DMG keep announcing projects Dinesh and team put together like Faith and Quantum & Woody. They are trying to prove that they are players. Probably more so now that the stock is tanking. Don't forget Dinesh came from Hollywood before he was at Valiant. I wouldn't assume Hollywood knows him more than Dan Mintz. I'm not sure which way it goes but Dinesh did bring in the shared universe deal at Sony, get Bloodshot greenlighted, get a major star in Vin Diesel, bring the Russo bros to Valiant and many other Hollywood people like JMS, the zombieland director, the pirates writer, Drax and more I'm too lazy to look up right now. They next step is for DMG to do the same or better. Time will tell. Can they keep publishing as strong, can they grow the company every year like it has been, can they bring the TV and movie shows they like to make press releases about.
markie7235 wrote:

-Brian

I could be wrong, and if I am, then my mistake, but I thought I read previously the contract with DMG stated if no additional investors were located after 5 years to pick up some or all of DMG's investment, than DMG could enact a clause in the contract that allowed them to purchase Valiant. Unfortunately, details are murky at best, and probably protected by confidentiality clauses. One article I found is below:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/29 ... stors-dmg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In here the author states as they understand, DMG exercised an option in their original investment agreement. I would assume there's some truth to this, given the complexity involved in a corporate take over of this nature.

Now, was there some behind the scenes leveraging of other investors and buyouts that happened there as well? Wouldn't surprise me

I'm not sure any of us will ever get the full story of what went down as I'm sure it's all covered by NDAs surrounding the buyout.

Again, I'm not defending Mintz or trashing Dinesh, just saying that such is the way of the business world. Mintz saw an opportunity and had the capital to make it happen. Same thing happened to Marvel and DC really. The difference is Disney and Warner Bros have a lot more consumer confidence than DMG on doing right by their respective universes. Does that mean DMG will botch it up? Maybe, but for now I remain hopefully optimistic, especially given the amount of energy, time, and money many of us have invested into Valiant. For that reason, many of us should hope DMG is successful, because no one wants to see their Valiant comics because worth less than the paper they are printed on....again

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

You're right about NDAs, and I think at this point everyone knows there's always two sides to every story. There's the truth, and there's the official statement. betterthanezra, and Paradise know the "truth", because they personally know the people involved on the Valiant end of things.

Allegedly, there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff that Dinesh isn't allowed to speak about due to NDAs. Basically he was screwed over by someone on the Valiant side of things who decided to sell to DMG. DMG was intentionally preventing Valiant from moving forward with certain projects, because they wanted Valiant's deadline to expire so that they could use the contract clause to gain complete rights over the Valiant Universe library. Allegedly, it was corporate sabotage and that there were numerous times were Valiant and DMG were playing tug-o-war with control over media adaptions of Valiant properties which is what lead to those projects being delayed. Dinesh has managed to say, without explicitly saying anything, that it was a hostile takeover and he was unexpectedly removed from his position. Defeat snatched from victory, and all that. These are all allegations, but these days allegations carry a little more weight. Rumors are only rumors until the NDAs expire.
markie7235 wrote: I could be wrong, and if I am, then my mistake, but I thought I read previously the contract with DMG stated if no additional investors were located after 5 years to pick up some or all of DMG's investment, than DMG could enact a clause in the contract that allowed them to purchase Valiant. Unfortunately, details are murky at best, and probably protected by confidentiality clauses.
Key phrase there. After 5 years. Valiant, and DMG partnered in 2015. Last time I checked it's not 2020 yet. Back when everyone noticed that detail during the buyout we sensed that something fishy was going on. Dinesh quoting "To snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" immediately after the takeover was announced added more fuel to the fire. Valiant staff conveniently leaving during the takeover, without releasing any official statement was likewise odd. The delayed release of Ninjak Vs., which was due to "unexpected legal issues" was a pretty big red flag. Especially since the idea of Ninjak Vs. was to jumpstart a series of Valiant Digital series that could be used to attract additional investors. Similar to how the leaked Deadpool footage lead to the Deadpool film being greenlit. There were only two people who could have stopped Ninjak Vs. from being released, Sony or DMG. The fact that Ninjak Vs. was released after the DMG buyout kind of eliminated Sony from the list of suspects.

They're pushing forward with Eric Heisserer as the writer of the Valiant films even though Heisserer's has publicly stated he has no interest in working with Valiant's new management. Heisserer is definitely a "Hollywood" guy, but he seemed to prefer working with Dinesh rather than with "current management". He never specified who it was that rubbed him the wrong way. Maybe he'll come back if there's a Bloodshot sequel, but it sounds like he's done with Valiant due to "current management". The Russo Brothers were supposed to start working on Quantum and Woody almost six months ago. The official story was that they'd get started on the pilot as soon as they were done with Infinity War. That didn't happen, and sounds like they've only just now convinced them develop the pilot under a "special condition".

I'm sure that DMG's name carries a lot of weight in Hollywood, but Dinesh made himself known at TBS, CW, and Sony as the CEO of Valiant for the past three years. He was that guy they personally got used to working with. He negotiated all of the deals that DMG inherited from him. He was the one who made friends with all those people in the industry. Then DMG comes in, mid-deal, and suddenly they're working with someone else. It's possible that people who personally knew Dinesh would prefer to continue working with him. All speculation and rumors obviously. I'm sure there's a valid reason why DMG hasn't made nearly as many announcements over the last seven months as they claimed they would. It's been nearly a year, and we've got nothing new. Even after Dan Mintz claimed everything would be fast tracked into production. We had an update on the Dr. Mirage show claiming DMG was pushing for it be released on the CW the day of the takeover. Haven't heard anything since. Nothing new on Quantum and Woody. Nothing new on any of the films other than Bloodshot, which was so far into productions that was getting hard to delay it any longer. Faith movie doesn't really count, because they've been rumors that it had in development a while know. DMG just decided to make an official statement.

I doubt that any of this is actually related to DMG's stock. Like you said, that likely has more to do with global political issues. I agree with you that Dan Mintz is only interested in getting the first few Valiant films released so that he can sell DMG to an actual production company. Dan Mintz's career was built on financing films. DMG isn't a production studio. No one should be surprised if, after Bloodshot is released, it's announced that DMG is undergoing a merger with one of the major film studios.
Quantum And Woody is part of the Valiant Entertainment stable of comics which is owned by DMG Entertainment and remains one of the key superhero publishing troves not currently tied to a major studio. That could change as DMG is understood to be taking meetings around town for a bigger scenario deal.
I also hear the Beverly Hills-based DMG is talking with potential partners with regard to the Valiant universe and financing and producing movies based on the IP. Scenarios include DMG pacting with a studio under a first-look or a development deal.
More fuel to the fire. DMG/Valiant looks like it's going to shorter than we though. Sony/Valiant? To early to say, but worth keeping any eye on things. I wonder if current global politics might be pressuring DMG to sell. That's what you get for working in China, and living in the U.S.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

SuperMage wrote:You're right about NDAs, and I think at this point everyone knows there's always two sides to every story. There's the truth, and there's the official statement. betterthanezra, and Paradise know the "truth", because they personally know the people involved on the Valiant end of things.

Allegedly, there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff that Dinesh isn't allowed to speak about due to NDAs. Basically he was screwed over by someone on the Valiant side of things who decided to sell to DMG. DMG was intentionally preventing Valiant from moving forward with certain projects, because they wanted Valiant's deadline to expire so that they could use the contract clause to gain complete rights over the Valiant Universe library. Allegedly, it was corporate sabotage and that there were numerous times were Valiant and DMG were playing tug-o-war with control over media adaptions of Valiant properties which is what lead to those projects being delayed. Dinesh has managed to say, without explicitly saying anything, that it was a hostile takeover and he was unexpectedly removed from his position. Defeat snatched from victory, and all that. These are all allegations, but these days allegations carry a little more weight. Rumors are only rumors until the NDAs expire.
markie7235 wrote: I could be wrong, and if I am, then my mistake, but I thought I read previously the contract with DMG stated if no additional investors were located after 5 years to pick up some or all of DMG's investment, than DMG could enact a clause in the contract that allowed them to purchase Valiant. Unfortunately, details are murky at best, and probably protected by confidentiality clauses.
Key phrase there. After 5 years. Valiant, and DMG partnered in 2015. Last time I checked it's not 2020 yet. Back when everyone noticed that detail during the buyout we sensed that something fishy was going on. Dinesh quoting "To snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" immediately after the takeover was announced added more fuel to the fire. Valiant staff conveniently leaving during the takeover, without releasing any official statement was likewise odd. The delayed release of Ninjak Vs., which was due to "unexpected legal issues" was a pretty big red flag. Especially since the idea of Ninjak Vs. was to jumpstart a series of Valiant Digital series that could be used to attract additional investors. Similar to how the leaked Deadpool footage lead to the Deadpool film being greenlit. There were only two people who could have stopped Ninjak Vs. from being released, Sony or DMG. The fact that Ninjak Vs. was released after the DMG buyout kind of eliminated Sony from the list of suspects.

They're pushing forward with Eric Heisserer as the writer of the Valiant films even though Heisserer's has publicly stated he has no interest in working with Valiant's new management. Heisserer is definitely a "Hollywood" guy, but he seemed to prefer working with Dinesh rather than with "current management". He never specified who it was that rubbed him the wrong way. Maybe he'll come back if there's a Bloodshot sequel, but it sounds like he's done with Valiant due to "current management". The Russo Brothers were supposed to start working on Quantum and Woody almost six months ago. The official story was that they'd get started on the pilot as soon as they were done with Infinity War. That didn't happen, and sounds like they've only just now convinced them develop the pilot under a "special condition".

I'm sure that DMG's name carries a lot of weight in Hollywood, but Dinesh made himself known at TBS, CW, and Sony as the CEO of Valiant for the past three years. He was that guy they personally got used to working with. He negotiated all of the deals that DMG inherited from him. He was the one who made friends with all those people in the industry. Then DMG comes in, mid-deal, and suddenly they're working with someone else. It's possible that people who personally knew Dinesh would prefer to continue working with him. All speculation and rumors obviously. I'm sure there's a valid reason why DMG hasn't made nearly as many announcements over the last seven months as they claimed they would. It's been nearly a year, and we've got nothing new. Even after Dan Mintz claimed everything would be fast tracked into production. We had an update on the Dr. Mirage show claiming DMG was pushing for it be released on the CW the day of the takeover. Haven't heard anything since. Nothing new on Quantum and Woody. Nothing new on any of the films other than Bloodshot, which was so far into productions that was getting hard to delay it any longer. Faith movie doesn't really count, because they've been rumors that it had in development a while know. DMG just decided to make an official statement.

I doubt that any of this is actually related to DMG's stock. Like you said, that likely has more to do with global political issues. I agree with you that Dan Mintz is only interested in getting the first few Valiant films released so that he can sell DMG to an actual production company. Dan Mintz's career was built on financing films. DMG isn't a production studio. No one should be surprised if, after Bloodshot is released, it's announced that DMG is undergoing a merger with one of the major film studios.
Quantum And Woody is part of the Valiant Entertainment stable of comics which is owned by DMG Entertainment and remains one of the key superhero publishing troves not currently tied to a major studio. That could change as DMG is understood to be taking meetings around town for a bigger scenario deal.
I also hear the Beverly Hills-based DMG is talking with potential partners with regard to the Valiant universe and financing and producing movies based on the IP. Scenarios include DMG pacting with a studio under a first-look or a development deal.
More fuel to the fire. DMG/Valiant looks like it's going to shorter than we though. Sony/Valiant? To early to say, but worth keeping any eye on things. I wonder if current global politics might be pressuring DMG to sell. That's what you get for working in China, and living in the U.S.
I'm sure you're right about the takeover being hostile, at least for Dinesh. They usually are, at least as far as the creative entrepreneuer who started the company is concerned, because it often leaves them outside looking in at the end. Has Dinesh shared with anyone and broke his NDA? Probably, most people do to some extent to trusted friends/family, but it stays quiet and no one shares.

We just need to all hope Bloodshot succeeds so that Valiant is sold off to a company better suited to own it. Honestly, would Sony owning Valiant be a bad thing? Not sure, but it certainly opens up further doors if they did.....lol, like PS4 exclusive Valiant games....just kidding, though you know it would happen.

As to current delays on media projects...I don't know, I feel the same way, would have hoped to hear more on some of these by now. Then again, we're consumers, so these days we tend to want to know everything now and be kept in the loop the whole way....That never happens, though Dinesh was somewhat the rare exception. There could be a slew of reasons we're not hearing anything, from them wanting it to be a surprise, to legal reasons from the other parties involved not wanting news out yet, to the more catastrophic development hell or lack of interest. At this point, I think we can at least say with confidence a Bloodshot movie IS happening, Faith movie is most likely happening, and a Quantum & Woody TV show is happening. The rest I feel are still closer to rumor than confirmed events....including the Harbinger movie, since that could get scrapped if Bloodshot bombs

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The only thing I have power to do is buy what comics fit into my intrest leval and that my personal funds can aford. DMG has been fing the dog as of late not working on their titles and whats coming out is sub par.
Im hopeful this will cause them to right the ship.
Unfortunatly their stocks is their buisness buying is mine they have made that clear.
I still doubt a movie or TV shows or anything will happen untill it happens I wont hold my breath for this company.
I still love the Valiant charaters but DMG isnt valiant till they proove them selves
I Miss the good old days.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

markie7235 wrote: if you think DMG really does intend to market Valiant high and then sell for a nice profit (my personal belief)
+1. Sell or begin wind-down by 6/30/19 is my guess...only a guess, but emerging fact pattern looks familiar.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

This on the heels of them announcing this Matthew Klein guy as direct of sales. He must really not be well liked.
:kidaround:
Multum In Parvo

betterthanezra
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

The Dirt Gang wrote:This on the heels of them announcing this Matthew Klein guy as direct of sales. He must really not be well liked.
He was FIRED from Valiant under the last management team

Not quit but FIRED

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

betterthanezra wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:This on the heels of them announcing this Matthew Klein guy as direct of sales. He must really not be well liked.
He was FIRED from Valiant under the last management team

Not quit but FIRED

-Brian
...why?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

One more update. The stock dropped the maximum amount it was allowed to again today. It has fallen the maximum amount it is allowed to everyday since it started trading again. It is now down 40%.

The article posted above is interesting. It looks like DMG borrowed heavily against its stock (75% of the stock looks to have been put up as collateral against loans) when the stock price was very high (probably significantly over valued). They tried to refinance but no one wanted to take on the risk and now that the stock is trading again (halted during negotiations to refinance?) it's dropping at an alarming rate - which of course only makes the three quarters of the company that was put up as collateral against loans in the form of stock more dangerous because as the price drops the amount of the company that is due to lenders increases to make up for the short fall from the previous high price. This is a very bad looking situation for DMG. Without a refinance, a massive loan or selling off a big asset (would need to be something much bigger than the $200 million or $300 million Valiant could be worth).

This might also give us some insight into their motivations for the hostile takeover of Valiant. It never made sense to me why they would push out a team that was having so much success and derail a train that was about to have a new level of success (with the Bloodshot movie and Quantum & Woody TV shows Dinesh got going). We could, and this is speculation, assume that DMG felt they needed something big and shiny to convince the banks to refinance or lenders to do a new loan and Valiant may have been the best thing they had a shot at, even if it meant hurting it in the medium and long term. Kill Valiant to try and save DMG? Either way, looks like it failed.