DMG stock down 10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Re: DMG stock down 10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%!!!

Post by The Chosen 1 »

grendeljd wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:Can someone point me to the news that DMG is inevitably going to sell Valiant, or that they are going to merge? I've seen a lot of business talk but i'd love to read where you're all getting this information from. Or is it just speculation?
Looking at the long term trend in their share price, it looks like it went up when they made some significant profits. im not sure what they're involved in at the moment, but share price is usually a good indicator of dividend returns and assets. Institutional investors are possibly cashing in and making a profit.
But unless we know for sure, and talk about selling valiant or merging is speculative.
It's educated speculation based on some of us on the board actually invest in stocks, as well as historical trends of DMG performance and the core principals DMG is founded on.

Fact 1, a 60% drop in stock price means there are significant concerns from investors leading them to pull out or value the company lower than previous. To summarize numerous points, stock price drops do not necessarily mean a company is in trouble, but DMG has borrowed heavily against their stock price. DMG also tried to restructure earlier this year, putting a freeze on stock prices. For whatever reason, the restructure didn't happen, stock went back on sale starting July 9th, and ever since it has dropped the maximum allowed on the Chinese market of 10% daily. Also, as someone else noted, if you look at the history of DMG stock prices going back a decade, they never were really worth all that much. They spiked for a 3 year period off rampant speculation of movies that has yet to occur. The stock was way over priced and it's not correcting...Again, this normally would not be a problem, unless of course DMG borrowed against their stock in a significant amount that the drop in value makes the debt higher than the company value. I think it's fair to say none of us know if this is true.

Fact 2, DMG is really an investment capital group. They invest in various forms of entertainment for profit. They are not the creative arm, but merely the financial backing for various creative groups they have invested in. Buying Valiant is the foray into ownership, but I think it's fair to say they are in over their heads on it. Point is, they know finances and money markets, not comics. As an investment group, it is fair to speculate they will want to elevate the value of their Valiant purchase and then look to sell it at a significant profit. They didn't buy Valiant because they have a love of comics, believe in the characters, etc. They bought it for the same reason Sony and others are interested in making movies/shows off of Valiant characters...And that being aside from Marvel and DC, Valiant is the last major super hero universe (not a single hero comic like Spawn) that was yet fully owned or licensed out for media use. While risky, it also makes it attractive to media groups looking to cash in on the massively successful wave of comic and super hero franchises currently.

Is DMG going under? Will DMG sell? Are the media projects in danger or being cancelled? I think these are all items of speculation at this point based on supporting evidence. However, the only ones who really know the shape of DMG would be the CEO and Board members at DMG, and they are not sharing....Though if I was the PR director for DMG, I personally would have gotten word out and released an official statement to help ease investor concerns.

No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation.
All you disciples of Dinesh are desperate for this to become an Acclaim V2, just so you can say, 'i told you so'. All this Doom and Gloom talk is ridiculous. All businesses evolve and change, and this is just a step in the process of their evolution. I'm surprised that some members still continue to buy Valiant comics with all their predictions of impending doom. Give it a rest.
Wow dude. Sorry you had to come down off your high horse to talk to the rest of us. :roll:
Thats just dumb. I'm not on any high horse, i'm just not being a sycophant. All i see is doom and gloom talk. I was around when Valiant sold to Acclaim for $65m, and everyone was thinking thats a lot to pay for the company. But seriously, we dont know anything. We do know that movies are being made, there's new comics coming out, and some word on new TV shows. More is happening now than before. So it's no high horse, i'm just not getting worked up about speculation and stuff we don't know about.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Here’s some more Doom and Gloom: PossumGrease has stopped buying all the monthly issues. It gives me a little acid reflux not to add that de minimis $13 to my DCBS order. You know why though? Not because I’ll miss out on a story I might enjoy; it’s because I don’t want to miss out on X-O 68 or Armorines 4.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:Can someone point me to the news that DMG is inevitably going to sell Valiant, or that they are going to merge? I've seen a lot of business talk but i'd love to read where you're all getting this information from. Or is it just speculation?
It's educated speculation

No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation./quote]
I don't think anyone is denying that's its speculation. It's just a discussion of different possibilities. Obviously everyone has different opinions on the probability of different scenarios, but those are just opinions. People are going to back their theories up with facts, that's how discussions work. It would probably be better to say that certain people feel there is a strong possibility that something big is about to go down involving DMG. We uncovered a rabbit hole, and some of us are curious how far it goes.
Deadline wrote:
Quantum And Woody is part of the Valiant Entertainment stable of comics which is owned by DMG Entertainment and remains one of the key superhero publishing troves not currently tied to a major studio. That could change as DMG is understood to be taking meetings around town for a bigger scenario deal.
I also hear the Beverly Hills-based DMG is talking with potential partners with regard to the Valiant universe and financing and producing movies based on the IP. Scenarios include DMG pacting with a studio under a first-look or a development deal.
Source.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/quantum-an ... 202423569/

Third time I've posted this, but it's possible it was over looked. The article makes it fairly clear that there are rumors, that DMG is undergoing negotiations with a major studio. The nature of those meetings, the terms of the deal, and why DMG is having them are all mysteries.
TheChosen 1 wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote: Thats just dumb. I'm not on any high horse, i'm just not being a sycophant.
The Chosen 1 wrote: All you disciples of Dinesh are desperate for this to become an Acclaim V2, just so you can say, 'i told you so'... Give it a rest.
markie7235 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:
Right, looking at a single day is very misleading

If you look at their 5 year performance, their biggest drop happened between April and October of 2017 (at least in recent times), long before news of their purchase of Valiant. So any money woes or stock issue existed long before they had Valiant. Valiant honestly can only help them. I haven't found specifics, but it probably has to do with Q2 financial results. Typically if company's underperform from forecast, you see this type of single day plunge. Keep an eye on it for awhile. Stocks/companies should never be judged on a single days ups/downs at the market.
markie7235 wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:It's simple, Mintz isn't a likable person no one in Hollywood is taking meetings with him unless Dinesh is involved

Today TBS announcement for Q&W was simply to stop the bleeding they needed something from the stock nosediving the last few days

-Brian
Not trying to sound snarky, but this sounds like opinion because of how much everyone on this site loved Dinesh. While I'm by no means a fan of Mintz, I highly doubt this statement is true and would ask for verifiable evidence to show it is. If we're being real, Hollywood doesn't give two figs about Dinesh. In fact, Mintz, or DMG is probably more known to Hollywood than Dinesh was.
markie7235 wrote: I'm not trying to pick sides here... What happened to Dinesh sucks, yes. Demonizing Mintz doesn't make it better, and he did what any reasonable investor would do.... They had a contract, Dinesh failed to meet part of his end of the contract, and Mintz/DMG exercised their rights... he performed his duty as Dinesh agreed to when both signed... Never sign up for or agree to anything you don't believe you can reasonably accomplish...
markie7235 wrote: Again, I'm not defending Mintz or trashing Dinesh, just saying that such is the way of the business world... Does that mean DMG will botch it up? Maybe, but for now I remain hopefully optimistic... For that reason, many of us should hope DMG is successful, because no one wants to see their Valiant comics because worth less than the paper they are printed on....again
I can understand that the subject matter of this thread might bother you, but I think you might be misjudging the intentions of the people posting here. We've all got our opinions dude. We're allowed to be curious about the credentials of DMG. I'm of the opinion that no matter what happens, everything will work out in the end. All we need is the Bloodshot movie to be released to secure the future of Valiant as a whole. After that, who knows what'll happen, but either way it'll cement the value of Valiant Comics in the eyes of audiences and future investors.

We all want to one day go out and confidently wear our fedoras while telling people we knew about Valiant Comics before it was cool.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I think fans will breath easier once August 8 comes around and the filming of Bloodshoot officially begins. What that will do to the stock, I've no idea, but hopefully it reflects positively.

#StayValiant

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Looks like we might possibly have a bottom. It’s up to 6.09 from 5.51, as of now. Perhaps the value investors have swept in.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation.
All you disciples of Dinesh are desperate for this to become an Acclaim V2, just so you can say, 'i told you so'. All this Doom and Gloom talk is ridiculous. All businesses evolve and change, and this is just a step in the process of their evolution. I'm surprised that some members still continue to buy Valiant comics with all their predictions of impending doom. Give it a rest.
Bro, you need to chill... facepalm

I have literally no knowledge about the stock market, but from my perspective, it's totally not crazy to predict doom and gloom. You're mad at people for being skeptical of this brand new company owning Valiant, that doesn't have the love for comics that VEI had, and yet, for some strange reason, you're like ridiculously positive, for no reason. I'm still 'all in' right now, just like you, but you'd have to be insane to NOT be worried. Disciples of Dinesh? How about you look in the mirror, because you've got a serious blind spot for these characters that (apparently) is keeping you from criticizing what's going on with the company.
1) Harbinger Wars II is a s***-show.
2) the new line-up of books is lackluster
3) this stock market news

^Does none of this raise an eyebrow for you? I guess not, but seeing as your favorite title is Harbinger Renegade, that's not surprising. facepalm

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote:No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation.
Bro, you need to chill... facepalm

I have literally no knowledge about the stock market, but from my perspective, it's totally not crazy to predict doom and gloom. You're mad at people for being skeptical of this brand new company owning Valiant, that doesn't have the love for comics that VEI had, and yet, for some strange reason, you're like ridiculously positive, for no reason. I'm still 'all in' right now, just like you, but you'd have to be insane to NOT be worried. Disciples of Dinesh? How about you look in the mirror, because you've got a serious blind spot for these characters that (apparently) is keeping you from criticizing what's going on with the company.
1) Harbinger Wars II is a s***-show.
2) the new line-up of books is lackluster
3) this stock market news

^Does none of this raise an eyebrow for you? I guess not, but seeing as your favorite title is Harbinger Renegade, that's not surprising. facepalm
Just wow, you're having a crack at me for not wanting to get involved in all the speculation, then you have a rant. I probably could have updated my favorite title, but i haven't been bothered. If that's your way of determining what type of person i am based on that, then you're a moron. As for being a disciple, just look at your comment on your on your profile, Is it Dee-no or Die-no.

As for criticizing the company, i'm taking a wait and see approach instead of getting all depressed about Dinesh leaving. Which we can tell that you have special place in your heart for him. Im not mad at people a different appreciation of Valiant, but saying things for the sake of saying it is just idiotic.
You've offered nothing but emotional opinions, yet you're having a crack at me for taking a rational approach. That says volumes about you. Next time, take a breath, think through this properly instead of ranting about how Valiant has gone to crap because Dinesh has left. Like i said, i'm taking a wait and see approach. If it turns to crap, so be it. Maybe Dinesh might be lucky enough to buy back Valiant and finish his vision. If it doesn't, all the better for us as we'll see Valiant thrive in mediums they haven't. It's nice to see that you're 'opinion' is being forced. Think it through logically next time before trying to be smart. Especially on subjects you admit you know nothing about.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:As for being a disciple, just look at your comment on your on your profile, Is it Dee-no or Die-no.
That's automatic. I didn't write that...
Which we can tell that you have special place in your heart for him. Im not mad at people a different appreciation of Valiant, but saying things for the sake of saying it is just idiotic.
I got into Valiant because of VEI and Dinesh. Seeing as Dinesh and VEI have nothing to do with Valiant comics circa mid-2018, obviously people like me are going to be skeptical. Again, there you go being positive for no reason. Yea, I'm 'waiting and seeing' too, but we're allowed to point out things that make us nervous.
You've offered nothing but emotional opinions, yet you're having a crack at me for taking a rational approach.
Refusing to be critical =/= "a rational approach"
These are not emotional opinions: HW2 is not what it was meant to be; DMG's stock is dropping rapidly; Beyond Valiant could easily be better. These are facts, not "emotional opinions."
That says volumes about you. Next time, take a breath, think through this properly instead of ranting about how Valiant has gone to crap because Dinesh has left.
Strawman. I'm literally not ranting about how Valiant's gone to crap. I'm saying that there's no reason to be blindly positive. There's nothing that should give you any reason to think everything's going to be fine.
Think it through logically next time before trying to be smart. Especially on subjects you admit you know nothing about.
This entire thread is full of logical, rational, knowledgable posts about the stock market. You don't have to be a genius to see that dropping 10% every single day probably isn't a good thing.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:
Looking at the long term trend in their share price, it looks like it went up when they made some significant profits. im not sure what they're involved in at the moment, but share price is usually a good indicator of dividend returns and assets. Institutional investors are possibly cashing in and making a profit.
But unless we know for sure, and talk about selling valiant or merging is speculative.
It's educated speculation based on some of us on the board actually invest in stocks, as well as historical trends of DMG performance and the core principals DMG is founded on.

Fact 1, a 60% drop in stock price means there are significant concerns from investors leading them to pull out or value the company lower than previous. To summarize numerous points, stock price drops do not necessarily mean a company is in trouble, but DMG has borrowed heavily against their stock price. DMG also tried to restructure earlier this year, putting a freeze on stock prices. For whatever reason, the restructure didn't happen, stock went back on sale starting July 9th, and ever since it has dropped the maximum allowed on the Chinese market of 10% daily. Also, as someone else noted, if you look at the history of DMG stock prices going back a decade, they never were really worth all that much. They spiked for a 3 year period off rampant speculation of movies that has yet to occur. The stock was way over priced and it's not correcting...Again, this normally would not be a problem, unless of course DMG borrowed against their stock in a significant amount that the drop in value makes the debt higher than the company value. I think it's fair to say none of us know if this is true.

Fact 2, DMG is really an investment capital group. They invest in various forms of entertainment for profit. They are not the creative arm, but merely the financial backing for various creative groups they have invested in. Buying Valiant is the foray into ownership, but I think it's fair to say they are in over their heads on it. Point is, they know finances and money markets, not comics. As an investment group, it is fair to speculate they will want to elevate the value of their Valiant purchase and then look to sell it at a significant profit. They didn't buy Valiant because they have a love of comics, believe in the characters, etc. They bought it for the same reason Sony and others are interested in making movies/shows off of Valiant characters...And that being aside from Marvel and DC, Valiant is the last major super hero universe (not a single hero comic like Spawn) that was yet fully owned or licensed out for media use. While risky, it also makes it attractive to media groups looking to cash in on the massively successful wave of comic and super hero franchises currently.

Is DMG going under? Will DMG sell? Are the media projects in danger or being cancelled? I think these are all items of speculation at this point based on supporting evidence. However, the only ones who really know the shape of DMG would be the CEO and Board members at DMG, and they are not sharing....Though if I was the PR director for DMG, I personally would have gotten word out and released an official statement to help ease investor concerns.

No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation.
I would not consider myself a "Dinesh Disciple". To be honest, I don't know Dinesh, never personally met him, know little about him. I typically don't care who owns/runs a comic company, so long as the stories are worth reading with great characters. Many people here found Valiant for the first time with the launch of VEI, and that's awesome. I'm happy for new fans to enjoy the characters and stories. I personally discovered Valiant early in the 90's when Jim Shooter started it all. Despite the love/hate relationship many have towards Shooter, I still view him as the founder of Valiant and credit him for the existence of the comic universe we have today. Dinesh relaunched that universe is a very compelling way that paid respect to the creative decisions and directions that came previously, and I'm happy he did.

As for speculation, the two specific points I stated are not speculation. DMG stock is dropping, and that happens when there are investor concers. I don't disagree with any of the reasons you stated, as I acknowledged there were numerous reasons for it, and only touched on a couple. DMG stock was clearly over-valued for some time and you're seeing a market correction, not unlike some US stocks. That said, the fact that a re-structure fell through also says something, most likely financial concerns from the 3rd party (yes, this is speculation as to the reason it fell through). Whatever the reason, the deal fell through, stock sales resumed, and since they've tumbled. I don't think that means DMG is going under...unless of course there is any truth in the theory they borrowed heavily against their stock price, because as prices fall, that could leave them holding more debt than the value of the company as a result. That would mean a problem if collections come calling and even liquidating everything wouldn't cover the loan. Again, that's not speculation, that's a true statement IF they indeed borrowed heavily against their share price.

The second point is also not really speculation...The actual description of DMG is "...specializes in the production and distribution of animation, radio, and TV media...". In other words, they do not create the content or materials, they merely help creative studios find capital and markets for their creations. In that sense, they are an investment group who is essentially connecting artists with money and other people to release their content. For example, they assisted with Iron Man 3, but only in terms of funding and global marketing. They didn't care what the script, story, direction, etc of the film was, only how to help distribute it and profit it from it. Buying Valiant puts them for the first time in the driver seat, but from everything I can see in their portfolio, I see no record they have ever created media of their own. Since their focus has been on finances and distribution, this is like a fish out of water. That's not necessarily a problem if they hire and rely on artistic directors, creators, etc to manage these media projects with a more hand-offs approach. I never claimed they would or wouldn't botch it up, since I have no prior reference in their portfolio to make a claim on it one way or another. I truly hope they are successful

I completely understand the point you're making, but I wouldn't so quickly dismiss everyone on here. Some of what's being stated is pure speculation, yes, and I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. At the same time, as I've learned over the years on here, there's also a lot of very smart people that are members of this group that do have connections within the comic industry and media industry. This isn't your typical fan site of comic readers sitting in their basement pawing their comics...Many of the Valiant fans are industry insiders with direct contact and knowledge of the creative teams working for and with Valiant. That gives them a unique and inside perspective that you don't typically see on other fan sites.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I have been lied to in the passed. I keep a tight hold of my excitements reguarding movie announcments. Its easy to spit what ever to keep people and investors in check. Me my self I am not buying any news or hype reguarding movies or tv shows. When I see real filming shots. Locations, people dressed up as people from valiant, when movie posters or somthing concrete is shown then I will get excited and belive.Right now nothing but bla bla bla.
I Miss the good old days.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

nonplayer wrote:I have been lied to in the passed. I keep a tight hold of my excitements reguarding movie announcments. Its easy to spit what ever to keep people and investors in check. Me my self I am not buying any news or hype reguarding movies or tv shows. When I see real filming shots. Locations, people dressed up as people from valiant, when movie posters or somthing concrete is shown then I will get excited and belive.Right now nothing but bla bla bla.

I feel your pain on Valiant movie hype in the past (2015) that never happened. But, I am having faith that this time at least the Bloodshot movie will happen as planned. I realize this is business. Even with this big scare of DMG stock falling... It seems like it is in everyone's best "business interest" for this one film to happen. The deal had already been made before the DMG takeover. DMG needs the Valiant Company to have more public entertainment and consumer value to either sell it off or make more media projects. Sony wants comic movies. :hope:

Hopefully in August there will be proof of film production. If that gets pushed back... then I will have doubts.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Down another 10% today. 5.04 CNY

Looks like it’s not the bottom, and probably won’t be for awhile.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

How are the stocks doing?

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

nonplayer wrote:How are the stocks doing?
I'm not sure how to attach the graph, but it seems to have found support around 5 CNY, and its been hovering around there for the last few days. So hopefully thats where it stays. I can't find much news on why it dropped off. Maybe profit wasn't in linw ith forecast, but if you check the reported financials, profit and revenue were up from last year, so that's a positive.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
I'm not sure how to attach the graph, but it seems to have found support around 5 CNY, and its been hovering around there for the last few days. So hopefully thats where it stays. I can't find much news on why it dropped off. Maybe profit wasn't in linw ith forecast, but if you check the reported financials, profit and revenue were up from last year, so that's a positive.
So no real change. Could you keep this post updated?

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
My guess based on US stocks: The price on the stock was inflated up around $20 CNY or so, came down a bit to around $14 CNY, and then was froze as they went through negotiations to re-structure. The fact that the re-structure didn't happen probably confirmed for investors the view that the stock price was bloated up around $13 CNY and as a result it fell. Another factor that probably played into it was an article I found previously (can't find it again now) where one of their largest share holders liquidated their stock sometime this year, so I'm sure that also made investors nervous. Think of it like when Warren Buffet suddenly dumped a bunch of money into Apple stock this year how it again caused Apple stock to climb...Now imagine if Buffet suddenly today sold off his entire portfolio of Apple Stock. Because of the aura surrounding Buffet, others would assume it means he sees something in Apple to make it not worth holding, and it would cause a sell off and prices to drop. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with Apple, but when you get a major investor like that selling off their entire stake, others take note and it causes a slight panic.

The fact that it's stabilized around 5 CNY for DMG probably means several factors caused it to tumble. As long as the market is stable, DMG will eventually climb back up if their finances are healthy. Like you said (I saw that previously also), profit and revenue were up last year and also last quarter (I think profit margin was up like 35%), so those are both good signs for DMG stability.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

This is a ham handed way of looking at it without much knowledge about the forces at play, but I see nothing frightening about an inflated stock finding its real market value. I suppose if they are over-leveraged with debt, that could be a concern.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Down another 10%. 4.60 CNY. That’s 67 cents. Total market cap is $1.18B USD.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nycjadie wrote:Down another 10%. 4.60 CNY. That’s 67 cents. Total market cap is $1.18B USD.
Damn, and that is WITH the announcement of the movie starting to film...
Moose

SuperMage
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

Now it’s looking like Hollywood’s long-awaited payday in China could become collateral damage in the trade war brought on by President Trump’s tariffs. Not only have negotiations about widening access to the market stalled, but some in Hollywood also quietly worry that their films could be targeted in retaliation for tariffs the U.S. has identified for about $250 billion in imports from China. “The timing for this is inopportune,” says Chris Fenton, a trustee of the U.S.-Asia Institute and former president for U.S.-China film company DMG Entertainment. “In fact, the macro environment may be getting worse. It also could lead to the worst-case possibility of China backtracking on past agreements.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... with-china

An article discussing the state of the U.S./Chinese film industry. Give Markie a cookie, it looks like his first prediction was right on the money. The tariffs are playing a key role in DMG's stock devaluation. Didn't know DMG had a former president named Chris Fenton. Wonder why he left.
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
nycjadie wrote:Down another 10%. 4.60 CNY. That’s 67 cents. Total market cap is $1.18B USD.
Damn, and that is WITH the announcement of the movie starting to film...
So realistically stock has dropped roughly 80% since all this began. There's still hope that the release of Bloodshot could give DMG a boost. Also we've still got the rumor of DMG secretly plotting to pact with a major Hollywood studio as part of a film deal. Even if things still haven't picked up for DMG yet, Sony could always bail them out. Anything could happen in two years.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I think a Sony bailout, or a sale to another studio is unlikely. It's not a good time for studios. Fox has tanked and is selling its back catalog. Even Deadpool couldn't save it.

My friends in the industry are fleeing to Netflix. It's the new model.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I think it would be pretty funny if Dinesh could find some partners to help buy everything back.

Funcha
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

nycjadie wrote:I think a Sony bailout, or a sale to another studio is unlikely. It's not a good time for studios. Fox has tanked and is selling its back catalog. Even Deadpool couldn't save it.

My friends in the industry are fleeing to Netflix. It's the new model.
What do you mean about Fox? They sold everything in their movie division to Disney, didn't they? Someone else has their back catalog now?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I'm looking at it this way: The success of Valiant is more important than ever for DMG.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

jmatt wrote:I'm looking at it this way: The success of Valiant is more important than ever for DMG.
Probably more true than many know. There were several articles some time back about how Dan Mintz was essentially betting nearly everything on the Valiant universe as it was the last untapped major super-hero universe not yet attached to a movie studio.

Now I don't know what other assets DMG owns, but I think it's fair to assume at this point that their largest investment is now in Valiant, at least in terms of assets they are actively pursuing.

This statement also cuts both ways: The Success of Valiant is more important than ever for DMG. That also means the success of DMG is more important than ever for Valiant.

Since it's now 100% owned by DMG, if one goes other, I think the other does too. Despite feelings on DMG, I'd rather not see them fail, Valiant purchased again, and possible delays in further comic lines, or another re-boot of the Valiant universe. I mean it took half a decade from Dinesh purchasing the rights to Valiant before publishing new comics began. While an interesting pipe dream of Dinesh re-purchasing if DMG sank, would Dinesh even want to? I mean to some extent, that would mean the movie direction failed, so how much more could be done with Valiant. On top of that, if Dinesh had financial assistance the first time that lead to the forced take-over, that would tell me that unless highly devalued, Dinesh would not be able to purchase Valiant outright a second time either. In which case if he needs other people to partner with, after his last experience, would Dinesh even want to do that considering he got burned this last time? Again, all hypothetical, and if DMG plays it safe and looks more to the model Disney/Marvel have set for comic films and Netflix shows, I see no reason with the right talent, directors, direction, etc that Valiant could not also be highly successful. They need to avoid the Warner Bros/DC direction though....If it wasn't for the fact that DC has such a storied history, those films alone would have sank any chance of a successful DC media venture.