DMG stock down 10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Re: DMG stock down 10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%!!!

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Can someone point me to the news that DMG is inevitably going to sell Valiant, or that they are going to merge? I've seen a lot of business talk but i'd love to read where you're all getting this information from. Or is it just speculation?
Looking at the long term trend in their share price, it looks like it went up when they made some significant profits. im not sure what they're involved in at the moment, but share price is usually a good indicator of dividend returns and assets. Institutional investors are possibly cashing in and making a profit.
But unless we know for sure, and talk about selling valiant or merging is speculative.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

BugsySig wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Well, now the news is out, in a big way

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status ... 14433?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Seriously, this dude just lurks on the boards and then uses what we’re discussing for stories at BC.
We should start another thread and pretend to rsise money to buy valiant.
I Miss the good old days.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Such a informative thread. Lots of meat on that bone.. it is always interesting when news like this gets made public.

chycho
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by chycho »

Thank you for the read everyone, loved it.

As for my 2 cents, no matter what happens we're not going to see Valiant die again, the universe is too valuable now, and we will see DMG take it at least to the next phase.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

chycho wrote:Thank you for the read everyone, loved it.

As for my 2 cents, no matter what happens we're not going to see Valiant die again, the universe is too valuable now, and we will see DMG take it at least to the next phase.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Valiant has no value...yet. If any of the film and tv come to fruition, that may change. But until then, it’s just a low (if any) profit comic book publisher. If DMG were to fail, I don’t see how it winds up any different than Acclaim.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

chycho

Post by chycho »

BugsySig wrote:
chycho wrote:Thank you for the read everyone, loved it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Valiant has no value...yet. If any of the film and tv come to fruition, that may change. But until then, it’s just a low (if any) profit comic book publisher. If DMG were to fail, I don’t see how it winds up any different than Acclaim.
Oh, I disagree on this. Valiant has tremendous value, undervalued actually, but we'll see where this all goes. Might be a few ups and downs but in the long run I'm pretty sure we'll still be here 10...20...30...40...50...60 years from now ;)

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It went down another 10% today. Standing at 5.79 CNY, which is $.86 USD. Still, a market cap of $10B.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

With the leadership that's been displayed thus far is anybody really surprised?

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

The Chosen 1 wrote:Can someone point me to the news that DMG is inevitably going to sell Valiant, or that they are going to merge? I've seen a lot of business talk but i'd love to read where you're all getting this information from. Or is it just speculation?
Looking at the long term trend in their share price, it looks like it went up when they made some significant profits. im not sure what they're involved in at the moment, but share price is usually a good indicator of dividend returns and assets. Institutional investors are possibly cashing in and making a profit.
But unless we know for sure, and talk about selling valiant or merging is speculative.
It's educated speculation based on some of us on the board actually invest in stocks, as well as historical trends of DMG performance and the core principals DMG is founded on.

Fact 1, a 60% drop in stock price means there are significant concerns from investors leading them to pull out or value the company lower than previous. To summarize numerous points, stock price drops do not necessarily mean a company is in trouble, but DMG has borrowed heavily against their stock price. DMG also tried to restructure earlier this year, putting a freeze on stock prices. For whatever reason, the restructure didn't happen, stock went back on sale starting July 9th, and ever since it has dropped the maximum allowed on the Chinese market of 10% daily. Also, as someone else noted, if you look at the history of DMG stock prices going back a decade, they never were really worth all that much. They spiked for a 3 year period off rampant speculation of movies that has yet to occur. The stock was way over priced and it's not correcting...Again, this normally would not be a problem, unless of course DMG borrowed against their stock in a significant amount that the drop in value makes the debt higher than the company value. I think it's fair to say none of us know if this is true.

Fact 2, DMG is really an investment capital group. They invest in various forms of entertainment for profit. They are not the creative arm, but merely the financial backing for various creative groups they have invested in. Buying Valiant is the foray into ownership, but I think it's fair to say they are in over their heads on it. Point is, they know finances and money markets, not comics. As an investment group, it is fair to speculate they will want to elevate the value of their Valiant purchase and then look to sell it at a significant profit. They didn't buy Valiant because they have a love of comics, believe in the characters, etc. They bought it for the same reason Sony and others are interested in making movies/shows off of Valiant characters...And that being aside from Marvel and DC, Valiant is the last major super hero universe (not a single hero comic like Spawn) that was yet fully owned or licensed out for media use. While risky, it also makes it attractive to media groups looking to cash in on the massively successful wave of comic and super hero franchises currently.

Is DMG going under? Will DMG sell? Are the media projects in danger or being cancelled? I think these are all items of speculation at this point based on supporting evidence. However, the only ones who really know the shape of DMG would be the CEO and Board members at DMG, and they are not sharing....Though if I was the PR director for DMG, I personally would have gotten word out and released an official statement to help ease investor concerns.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

The Chosen 1 wrote:Can someone point me to the news that DMG is inevitably going to sell Valiant, or that they are going to merge? I've seen a lot of business talk but i'd love to read where you're all getting this information from. Or is it just speculation?
Quantum And Woody is part of the Valiant Entertainment stable of comics which is owned by DMG Entertainment and remains one of the key superhero publishing troves not currently tied to a major studio. That could change as DMG is understood to be taking meetings around town for a bigger scenario deal.
I also hear the Beverly Hills-based DMG is talking with potential partners with regard to the Valiant universe and financing and producing movies based on the IP. Scenarios include DMG pacting with a studio under a first-look or a development deal.
Currently a "rumor". Like the Fox/Disney deal was a "rumor". Rumor is codeword for someone leaked the information, but can't confirm it publicly due to NDAs.
nycjadie wrote:It went down another 10% today. Standing at 5.79 CNY, which is $.86 USD. Still, a market cap of $10B.
Jesus Freakin' Christ. This is ridiculous. We're now at a 70% drop in two weeks. I get why they haven't made an official announcement yet. Addressing a problem means admitting that it exists. DMG's probably going to try to make sort of positive spin on things, but all the red flags are there. I bet a few Sony representatives are having some serious discussions right now about DMG's financial stability. Maybe Sony is one of the companies DMG is "taking meetings around town for a bigger scenario deal" with.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

nycjadie wrote:It went down another 10% today. Standing at 5.79 CNY, which is $.86 USD. Still, a market cap of $10B.
Is that right, or is it 10billion CNY?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

markie7235 wrote:
It's educated speculation based on some of us on the board actually invest in stocks, as well as historical trends of DMG performance and the core principals DMG is founded on.

Fact 1, a 60% drop in stock price means there are significant concerns from investors leading them to pull out or value the company lower than previous. To summarize numerous points, stock price drops do not necessarily mean a company is in trouble, but DMG has borrowed heavily against their stock price. DMG also tried to restructure earlier this year, putting a freeze on stock prices. For whatever reason, the restructure didn't happen, stock went back on sale starting July 9th, and ever since it has dropped the maximum allowed on the Chinese market of 10% daily. Also, as someone else noted, if you look at the history of DMG stock prices going back a decade, they never were really worth all that much. They spiked for a 3 year period off rampant speculation of movies that has yet to occur. The stock was way over priced and it's not correcting...Again, this normally would not be a problem, unless of course DMG borrowed against their stock in a significant amount that the drop in value makes the debt higher than the company value. I think it's fair to say none of us know if this is true.

Fact 2, DMG is really an investment capital group. They invest in various forms of entertainment for profit. They are not the creative arm, but merely the financial backing for various creative groups they have invested in. Buying Valiant is the foray into ownership, but I think it's fair to say they are in over their heads on it. Point is, they know finances and money markets, not comics. As an investment group, it is fair to speculate they will want to elevate the value of their Valiant purchase and then look to sell it at a significant profit. They didn't buy Valiant because they have a love of comics, believe in the characters, etc. They bought it for the same reason Sony and others are interested in making movies/shows off of Valiant characters...And that being aside from Marvel and DC, Valiant is the last major super hero universe (not a single hero comic like Spawn) that was yet fully owned or licensed out for media use. While risky, it also makes it attractive to media groups looking to cash in on the massively successful wave of comic and super hero franchises currently.

Is DMG going under? Will DMG sell? Are the media projects in danger or being cancelled? I think these are all items of speculation at this point based on supporting evidence. However, the only ones who really know the shape of DMG would be the CEO and Board members at DMG, and they are not sharing....Though if I was the PR director for DMG, I personally would have gotten word out and released an official statement to help ease investor concerns.
Well said.
Dinesh was valiant. DMG is not concerned with producing super comics. They are money hounds. Valiant the company died with Dinesh. So call valiant what it is. DMG. The only thing that is Valiant are the characters.
If bleeding cool is reading this. Dmg should make an announcment they should have on day one of the hostile take over to alleviate the investors. We vfans are investors.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote:
10.25B CNY, or about $1.5B USD. Likely soon to be a lot less;)

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

nonplayer wrote:Well said.
Dinesh was valiant. DMG is not concerned with producing super comics. They are money hounds. Valiant the company died with Dinesh. So call valiant what it is. DMG. The only thing that is Valiant are the characters.
If bleeding cool is reading this. Dmg should make an announcment they should have on day one of the hostile take over to alleviate the investors. We vfans are investors.
I think this is a point often overlooked, but people who buy comics ARE investors. We can all offer various reasons why we buy valiant...We love the characters, We love the stories, etc etc. Yup, sure, all true...that's why we READ the stories. But we buy physical paper comics typically as an investment. That doesn't mean we plan on selling, but if you buy a collectible, you tend to view it as having an inherint value with the hopes that value increases. For some, it's because they like to own something rare, special, or with eye appeal, for others it's in the hopes of later flipping for a profit. But comics are a collectible, and those who buy the physical item are investors/collectors.

And I would further state this is more so for those who buy graded comics, or submit comics for grading. I tell people I do it because it protects the books I love, especially from elements like every day moisture in the air, which is true....But it's also true I do it because I want to elevate the value of my comics also, especially those special books like Harbinger 1, Shadowman 5 Grampa, Solar 10, Eternal Warrior 5 Mack, etc.

Why should companies like Marvel, DC, and DMG/Valiant care? Because physical comic sales still provide a regular steady stream of income that funds other projects, like say a movie deal in the works.

So when DMG stock tanks, causing investor concern, it impacts us investors also...Because let's face it, many of us on these boards have a lot of money sunk into Valiant comics, from the every day issue, to obtaining 9.8 CGC copies of the truly rare and valuable ones. No one who has bought these items wants to see their now $1000+ copy of Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8 drop to worth $1. And when money is on the line, like it is in an investment, people get angry and upset when the reason their investment is at risk is because of poor decision making by the company producing the product. Fair to say, if Valiant went under (again), there's a lot of us on these boards that stand (or sit if you prefer) to lose thousands of dollars invested.

greg

Post by greg »

nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:
Right... the complete purchase of Valiant by DMG (assuming it was in the neighborhood of $200M USD) would only be 2% of a $10B company... but more than 10% if it's only $1.5B.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just market cap on stock value. I don't believe it reflects their total worth of assets and cash on hand.

I thought I read somewhere also that DMG actually just posted a 35% increase in profit margins last quarter...I want to say it was around $250M. Of course most of it was wiped out by debt, but it does help that their margins are increasing and they are pacing with debt payments.

greg

Post by greg »

markie7235 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just market cap on stock value. I don't believe it reflects their total worth of assets and cash on hand.
I'm not an expert on this, but I think market cap is usually a reflection of all assets and cash and even includes the expectation of future earnings/losses (not yet realized) since the stock price is a reflection of all "available knowledge" about a company.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

greg wrote:
markie7235 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:
I'm not an expert on this, but I think market cap is usually a reflection of all assets and cash and even includes the expectation of future earnings/losses (not yet realized) since the stock price is a reflection of all "available knowledge" about a company.
Greg, I don't think cash or assets is part of it. Market Cap is the current price per share of stock multiplied by the total number of outstanding shares.

So for example, if DMG is $5/share with 300M outstanding shares, then it's market cap would be $1.5B. What does this mean? It means if you wanted to buy DMG, the current fair market value of that company would be $1.5B to purchase. But, this isn't an exact science for valuing a company either, because other factors such as equity (cash & assets), yearly net income performance, etc would typically be factored into the final value a company would sell for in an offer if making a private purchase.

But this means if you wanted to become the primary owner of DMG, you could purchase up all outstanding shares for $1.5B, essentially making you the majority owner and therefore you just performed what could be viewed as a hostile takeover :)

greg

Post by greg »

markie7235 wrote:
greg wrote:
markie7235 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:
Greg, I don't think cash or assets is part of it. Market Cap is the current price per share of stock multiplied by the total number of outstanding shares.

So for example, if DMG is $5/share with 300M outstanding shares, then it's market cap would be $1.5B. What does this mean? It means if you wanted to buy DMG, the current fair market value of that company would be $1.5B to purchase. But, this isn't an exact science for valuing a company either, because other factors such as equity (cash & assets), yearly net income performance, etc would typically be factored into the final value a company would sell for in an offer if making a private purchase.

But this means if you wanted to become the primary owner of DMG, you could purchase up all outstanding shares for $1.5B, essentially making you the majority owner and therefore you just performed what could be viewed as a hostile takeover :)
Right, but if you could purchase DMG and all of its assets for $1.5B, how could there be significant cash and other assets not included in the $1.5B price?

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

greg wrote: Right, but if you could purchase DMG and all of its assets for $1.5B, how could there be significant cash and other assets not included in the $1.5B price?
Sorry, let me re-phrase, you would not technically be buying Valiant, but it's stock. But each share of stock is ownership in the company. So if you purchased all 300M outstanding shares for $1.5B, then you would be the majority stock holder. If at that point you owned over 51% of all DMG stock, in essence you would own the company because you could make any decision you wanted and no other share holders, even all banded together could down vote you. You would be the sole deciding vote on every company action.

The reason you wouldn't technically own the company is there's still a board of directors in a publicly traded company that determines strategy and day to day operations, so you wouldn't have 100% autonomy to do what you want, but when it came time to determine board members, or replace board members, you could basically stack the deck since again, your vote is the deciding vote. Kind of the difference though between publicly traded companies and private companies...Private companies have owners (can be multiple) where publicly traded companys have share holders and are run by an executive board with a President and/or CEO. So in a publicly traded company, there isn't really an owner, but there can be a majority share holder.

As to why that all matters for assets and cash...Cash and assets remain with the company. Cash is used to make purchases, marketing, pay salaries, dividends, etc. But buying shares of a company, even as a majority share holder, you don't get the cash in the bank....though cash in the bank does influence the price of the stock, so do assets.

So the outstanding shares may be worth $1.5B, but there could be let's say $100M cash on hand and $500M in assets. That cash and assets influence the stock price (and thus market cap) because investors are essentially placing a value on what they believe a company can do in terms of future profits off that cash and assets.

Look at another example. Amazon has been going around $1600 a share...I have no idea how many outstanding shares there, but let's just say the value of those shares times $1600 is WAY WAY WAY higher than the total value of all assets, products, cash on hand, etc that Amazon has. Amazon may actually be a bad example, because despite being an investor's darling right now, there stock is way over valued in comparison to their assets and cash.

So what we're seeing is DMG stock basically move closer and closer to being worth at Market Cap the value of what they have in liquid assets and valued assets. Amazon on the other hand has a market cap multiple multiple multiple times what all their assets are actually worth.

greg

Post by greg »

OK, but you seemed to imply that the $1.5B market cap doesn't represent the value of the assets and cash, and I don't think it's possible for the market cap to ever be lower than assets plus cash... because the market isn't going to allow that. :D

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

greg wrote:OK, but you seemed to imply that the $1.5B market cap doesn't represent the value of the assets and cash, and I don't think it's possible for the market cap to ever be lower than assets plus cash... because the market isn't going to allow that. :D
Well I think it could happen, but not sure how realistic a scenario that would be. I'm trying think of a good example of when that may occur, but that would basically be a scenario where investors have zero confidence in a company that still has value in equity...that should not happen because of a company still has equity, then there should be some interest there. But generally speaking in a real world scenario you're right, market cap shouldn't be lower than assets

The Chosen 1
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

markie7235 wrote:

No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation.
All you disciples of Dinesh are desperate for this to become an Acclaim V2, just so you can say, 'i told you so'. All this Doom and Gloom talk is ridiculous. All businesses evolve and change, and this is just a step in the process of their evolution. I'm surprised that some members still continue to buy Valiant comics with all their predictions of impending doom. Give it a rest.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:

No, it's just speculation. So why don't we lay off all the talk about certainties. Its just speculation. The share price could be dropping for numerous reason. The political climate, new legislation on the obligations of companies on the Chinese SX, maybe institutional investors profit taking, maybe the share price experienced a bubble on expectations (anyone heard of Bitcoin?). Until someone can be sure with some detailed investor analysis, its just speculation.
All you disciples of Dinesh are desperate for this to become an Acclaim V2, just so you can say, 'i told you so'. All this Doom and Gloom talk is ridiculous. All businesses evolve and change, and this is just a step in the process of their evolution. I'm surprised that some members still continue to buy Valiant comics with all their predictions of impending doom. Give it a rest.
Wow dude. Sorry you had to come down off your high horse to talk to the rest of us. :roll:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
markie7235 wrote:

As an investor of the previous Valiant comics run by Dinesh and crew. The new owners are not making me feel like investing. I dont need to be a stock market analyst to make this point.
Nor do I need you the choosen one to put me in my place reguardeing my feeling to the present situation. I keep a small hope that they can pull it off but again they arnt giving me anything to feel secure about. and if I owned stocks other than a few thousand dollars at this moment in comics. Id sell.
Dinesh kept the hype alive so far nothing from dmg.
Dmg hasnt done anything they havent even made a comic yet. It is speculation but the evedence is over welming they streached out hw2 to make more money.
Speculation ciyld be eliminated if they speak up and adtessed the fans they obviously need. Say something do something other than some on the wind movie.