VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT September 2018 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

https://www.newsarama.com/40460-valiant ... tions.html

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT September 2018 Solicitations

Post by agent_graves »

BRITANNIA: LOST EAGLES OF ROME #3 (of 4)
FAITH: DREAMSIDE #1-4 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE
HARBINGER WARS 2: AFTERMATH #1
NINJA-K #11
SHADOWMAN (2018) #7
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #19-22 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE
#StayValiant

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

Gilad sighting

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

agent_graves wrote:BRITANNIA: LOST EAGLES OF ROME #3 (of 4)
NINJA-K #11
SHADOWMAN (2018) #7
Your missing Quantum and Woody #10 in this list

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

betterthanezra wrote:
NINJA-K #11
SHADOWMAN (2018) #7

-Brian

I dropped Q & W after issue #5. Still haven’t read issues #4 & #5.... 8-)
#StayValiant

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I'm hanging in there but I would like to see a little sizzle ...

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I'll be picking up:

NINJA-K #11 - looking forward to seeing Eternal Warrior back in the fold, hopefully this leads to more appearances
SHADOWMAN (2018) #7
QUANTUM AND WOODY! (2017) #10

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

agent_graves wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:
NINJA-K #11
SHADOWMAN (2018) #7

-Brian

I dropped Q & W after issue #5. Still haven’t read issues #4 & #5.... 8-)
I haven't read it since issue #2. :oops:
Still getting it in the DCBS bundle though.
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

sonicdan
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

jaden_sai wrote:Gilad sighting
:headbang:
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

jaden_sai wrote:Gilad sighting
YAY!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Super behind in my reading. Never was a big Faith or Q&W fan, but stoked we have Shadowman and Britannia III.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

For the life of me, I have no idea why I get excited for the solicitations every month. We already know exactly what's coming out.

Faith: Dreamside #1- I'll be getting the first issue, but that's probably where I stop.

Brittania III #3- Assuming the first two issues don't suck, I can't wait. The David Mack A cover sucks though.

HW2 Aftermath- I'm sure this will be good, but I'm hoping it will launch the Valiant universe into it's next "phase," similar to what Armor Hunters: Aftermath was trying to accomplish.

X-O Manowar #19- Can't wait, although I'm annoyed at the cover artist switch-up from LaRosa to Rocafort. His cover really isn't very dynamic.

Ninja-K #11- Not a huge fan of De la Torre, but I'm so f***ing down.

Shadowman #7- Did anyone else notice that Shadowman is going "Premium," but X-O is losing the prestige format? What's up with that?

Q&W! #10- So Separation Anxiety goes from issue 8-11? I bet that means #12 will be the final issue, and there will be just one more $20 trade with issues 6-12. Maybe.

X-O: Barbarians TPB- I can't believe this is only $10 still.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote:For the life of me, I have no idea why I get excited for the solicitations every month. We already know exactly what's coming out.

Faith: Dreamside #1- I'll be getting the first issue, but that's probably where I stop.
Looks so bad. Is it called Faith: Dreamside or just Dreamside? The doesn't say Faith but the covers do. The covers all look terrible by the way. Also, did they not think that Dreamside was too similar to Dead side? I'm skipping this one.
TheFerg714 wrote:
Brittania III #3- Assuming the first two issues don't suck, I can't wait. The David Mack A cover sucks though.
Not excited for Britannia. Really liked what Dinesh had suggested they were going to do - introducing the world's first serial killer as a nemesis for the world's first detective. But not into this 'more of the same but with bad covers' mini.
TheFerg714 wrote:
HW2 Aftermath- I'm sure this will be good, but I'm hoping it will launch the Valiant universe into it's next "phase," similar to what Armor Hunters: Aftermath was trying to accomplish.
Valiant is clearly struggling with the loss of all the guys (Dinesh, Warren and co.) who brought it back and made it a force. It's most clear in Harbinger Wars 2. What with the format change, the price change, the loss of half the creative team and this strange one shot that lets face it is not going to usher in the new age Dinesh and Warren were cooking up.
TheFerg714 wrote:
X-O Manowar #19- Can't wait, although I'm annoyed at the cover artist switch-up from LaRosa to Rocafort. His cover really isn't very dynamic.
I agree but they didn't have a choice because LaRosa left when Dinesh and Warren left.
TheFerg714 wrote:
Ninja-K #11- Not a huge fan of De la Torre, but I'm so f***ing down.
Strange choice of artist on a series that Giorello started. Thought they were very smart about how they put artists on X-O Manowar. Again, I think the junior executives aren't able to be as smart as Dinesh, Warren, Atom, Hunter etc.
TheFerg714 wrote:
Shadowman #7- Did anyone else notice that Shadowman is going "Premium," but X-O is losing the prestige format? What's up with that?
See above. Another junior executive move if you ask me. X-O Manowar is such a big hit for Valiant. Why 'fix' what isn't broken?
TheFerg714 wrote:
Q&W! #10- So Separation Anxiety goes from issue 8-11? I bet that means #12 will be the final issue, and there will be just one more $20 trade with issues 6-12. Maybe.
Looking at the sales, Shadowman, Q&W and HW2 are big duds. Not surprising because after DMG came in there has been virtually no marketing for anything.

X-O: Barbarians TPB- I can't believe this is only $10 still.[/quote]

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Valiant is clearly struggling with the loss of all the guys (Dinesh, Warren and co.) who brought it back and made it a force. It's most clear in Harbinger Wars 2. What with the format change, the price change, the loss of half the creative team and this strange one shot that lets face it is not going to usher in the new age Dinesh and Warren were cooking up.
That doesn't make sense because they chose to get rid of everyone. What you say is struggling is actually exactly what they've chosen and planned to do.
Looking at the sales, Shadowman, Q&W and HW2 are big duds. Not surprising because after DMG came in there has been virtually no marketing for anything.
Marketing definitely seemed like a strength of Dinesh and the previous regime. But for such a tiny industry, it might have been over-marketing. The way that comics become hits is not through a deluge of advertisements and mentions on Bleeding Cool. Sure that will make more people notice, but the key to a comic's readership growing is word of mouth.

The key to word of mouth is making the stories so great that people spontaneously want to share it with their buddies. I remember in 2004 or so going into comic shops and people would practically fall over themselves recommending Walking Dead because they were so excited about the story. Same thing with Saga, VH1, and any comic book 'hit'.

A micro publisher with only 6-8 titles doesn't need a marketing department IMO. That money would have been better spent on having more writer's meetings and more drafts of the stories to make sure they were nailing everything 100%. There's a reason movie and tv screenplays go through multiple drafts and sometimes multiple writers, the story is the most important thing to hook an audience. :twocents:

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

syzhang28 wrote:Not excited for Britannia. Really liked what Dinesh had suggested they were going to do - introducing the world's first serial killer as a nemesis for the world's first detective. But not into this 'more of the same but with bad covers' mini.
Holy *SQUEE*, that's such a good idea.
I honestly wasn't that impressed with either of the first two mini's, but I liked them enough to buy every issue happily, so I'm not going in with the highest expectations in the first place.
I agree but they didn't have a choice because LaRosa left when Dinesh and Warren left.
Says who? He's doing the Aftermath B cover. I haven't seen any evidence of his leaving the company (yet).
Strange choice of artist on a series that Giorello started. Thought they were very smart about how they put artists on X-O Manowar. Again, I think the junior executives aren't able to be as smart as Dinesh, Warren, Atom, Hunter etc.
Well I don't know if it's necessarily a bad idea, I'm just not a big fan of the guy.
I wouldn't say Shadowman is a dud at all... Of course, that's almost entirely dependent on the how well the next arc does, but as of the third issue, it's still just about 10k, which is pretty much the benchmark for Valiant's ongoings right now. :?
Ryan wrote:Marketing definitely seemed like a strength of Dinesh and the previous regime. But for such a tiny industry, it might have been over-marketing. The way that comics become hits is not through a deluge of advertisements and mentions on Bleeding Cool. Sure that will make more people notice, but the key to a comic's readership growing is word of mouth.

The key to word of mouth is making the stories so great that people spontaneously want to share it with their buddies. I remember in 2004 or so going into comic shops and people would practically fall over themselves recommending Walking Dead because they were so excited about the story. Same thing with Saga, VH1, and any comic book 'hit'.

A micro publisher with only 6-8 titles doesn't need a marketing department IMO. That money would have been better spent on having more writer's meetings and more drafts of the stories to make sure they were nailing everything 100%. There's a reason movie and tv screenplays go through multiple drafts and sometimes multiple writers, the story is the most important thing to hook an audience. :twocents:
I'm not sure if I agree with that, although you're definitely onto something. I don't know how you can deny that the succes of Kindt's X-O was at least 50% predicated on the fact that Valiant shoved that s*** in everyone's faces for like 6 full months prior to it's release. It was easily their most vastly marketed series ever, and it showed in the sales figures.

I would say that, in order to have a successful book, Valiant needs a mix of a) simply telling great stories with great creators, and b) smart marketing. Without one of those things any book is doomed to fail. I'm eager to see if they push Livewire and Bloodshot PRS at all or just let them come out and hope people buy them.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

TheFerg714 wrote: I'm not sure if I agree with that, although you're definitely onto something. I don't know how you can deny that the succes of Kindt's X-O was at least 50% predicated on the fact that Valiant shoved that s*** in everyone's faces for like 6 full months prior to it's release. It was easily their most vastly marketed series ever, and it showed in the sales figures.

I would say that, in order to have a successful book, Valiant needs a mix of a) simply telling great stories with great creators, and b) smart marketing. Without one of those things any book is doomed to fail. I'm eager to see if they push Livewire and Bloodshot PRS at all or just let them come out and hope people buy them.
Certainly it takes both to succeed, and it was definitely one of their strengths. Maybe it was just a matter of playing to the strengths of the team they had assembled, I just think the balance got too skewed.

For example HW2 #1 since it's fresh in my mind. This is the big event that casual and new curious readers are going to check out and is supposed to launch a new phase for the entire line. This issue sets up the entire event, I should have felt excited at the end of reading it or at least intrigued. It's been in development for so long there was time to get notes and revise it, heck just have your brother in law or random person who likes Marvel movies read it and tell you where they're confused and what they felt, it isnt that hard.