Bob Layton pizza party at Valiant HQ

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Bob Layton pizza party at Valiant HQ

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:We gotta let this poor guy live down one bad haircut choice.
Yeah... I don't mean to jump on a bandwagon of poking fun at him, I really do think of that Gary Oldman character when I see photos of Bobs haircut from then - but that's not entirely a bad thing. It's a haircut "of its time".
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Re: Bob Layton pizza party at Valiant HQ

Post by The Dirt Gang »

grendeljd wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

I reached out to Bob Layton fresh out of college trying to get an internship with his newly founded, Future Comics. He was very kind but ultimately said no. So did CrossGen. It must have been me.
Dang, man! What part of the business were you interested in trying to intern for?
I didn't really know which is probably why I didn't get hired. :lol: Really I wanted to work in film and TV. I was two weeks away from moving to NYC when 9/11 happened. The work I had lined up in NYC was understandably put on an indefinite hold and so I ended leaving with my parents near Tampa, FL. At the time, movies were my first love with comics a close second.

I got a phone interview with CrossGen and was pitching my growing Photoshop skills but really was just looking for anything that would get me in the door. CrossGen was really nice but ultimately said they didn't have room for an intern.

I found out Future Comics was starting up and based in Tampa and sent them an email. I got a polite thanks for the interest but we aren't taking interns from Layton.

About 9 months later, I moved to NYC and was struggling to get jobs in film so was looking for internships at production companies and comic comics (DC & Marvel) but really they wouldn't hire you as an intern unless you were still a student at a university and could receive credit. Although, I've also never been good at selling myself.

Eventually, I managed to get an internship with Wes Anderson's production company and did that for about 3 months before I started getting paying work in film and commercials. I only got the job with Wes Anderson because he had a new assistant who was new to NYC and about my age and we hit it off.

At this point, I've got no skills that I could offer anyone in comics. :lol:
Multum In Parvo