VALIANT APRIL 2018 SALES

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
VALIANT APRIL 2018 SALES

Post by agent_graves »

165 Shadowman #2* $3.99 Valiant 11,738

188 X-O Manowar #14 $3.99 Valiant 9,269

202 Bloodshot Salvation #8 $3.99 Valiant 8,171

209 Ninja-K #6 $3.99 Valiant 7,850

230 Quantum & Woody #5 $3.99 Valiant 6,488

243 Ninjak Vs. Vu #4 $3.99 Valiant 5,616
#StayValiant

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: VALIANT APRIL 2018 SALES

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

All in all, I think these are pretty solid numbers. Looking at X-O, and knowing it's better than a year running, and it's producing like this, that's great!

Guess the only one that surprises me, is that Ninja-K is as low as it is. Although close, it's a better book than Bloodshot, and should be read by more people. It's been a great book!
Moose

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:All in all, I think these are pretty solid numbers. Looking at X-O, and knowing it's better than a year running, and it's producing like this, that's great!

Guess the only one that surprises me, is that Ninja-K is as low as it is. Although close, it's a better book than Bloodshot, and should be read by more people. It's been a great book!
XO is a genuine Indy hit. All the recent "tent-pole" relaunches have maintained very solid non-Big 2 numbers. Bloodshot is bound to get a boost with each new bit of movie news as well.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Seems an odd decision to end Bloodshot given the decent numbers it’s still pulling in. I get that Lemire wanted to leave but why couldn’t they bring another writer to pick up from #13? :?

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Seems an odd decision to end Bloodshot given the decent numbers it’s still pulling in. I get that Lemire wanted to leave but why couldn’t they bring another writer to pick up from #13? :?
Because #1 issues.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Seems an odd decision to end Bloodshot given the decent numbers it’s still pulling in. I get that Lemire wanted to leave but why couldn’t they bring another writer to pick up from #13? :?
Because #1 issues.
Sadly, this is likely the truest answer. (and it's woken up the bee in my bonnet again, so here comes my mini-rant)

Another could be that there just wasn't any more story thought of/planned to tell from there. Not that they couldn't have solicited work/ideas from people from the start of this series months ago, giving them the broad outline of where it was going, and seeing if anyone could come up with a good storyline to continue the series after #13.

I'd love to see Valiant do an experiment with one title. Pick a well known character, and start up a new series with the intention of keeping it as an ongoing through multiple writers story lines indefinitely. Have them work together to craft their individual tales, but be able to hand it off to the next person with full knowledge and planning of where the series would be at the transition time. And see how long you can keep the series going that way! Just try it with one title!! How bad could that be? Nobody TRIES to have an actual ongoing title anymore.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Because #1 issues.
Sadly, this is likely the truest answer. (and it's woken up the bee in my bonnet again, so here comes my mini-rant)

Another could be that there just wasn't any more story thought of/planned to tell from there. Not that they couldn't have solicited work/ideas from people from the start of this series months ago, giving them the broad outline of where it was going, and seeing if anyone could come up with a good storyline to continue the series after #13.

I'd love to see Valiant do an experiment with one title. Pick a well known character, and start up a new series with the intention of keeping it as an ongoing through multiple writers story lines indefinitely. Have them work together to craft their individual tales, but be able to hand it off to the next person with full knowledge and planning of where the series would be at the transition time. And see how long you can keep the series going that way! Just try it with one title!! How bad could that be? Nobody TRIES to have an actual ongoing title anymore.
Yes I’d be down for this idea too. I also think there’s only 2 books where the ongoing sales could support this experiment, XO and ......Bloodshot!

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Because #1 issues.

Yes I’d be down for this idea too. I also think there’s only 2 books where the ongoing sales could support this experiment, XO and ......Bloodshot!
I agree it would need to be a bigger title like these. The only other possible one would be Harbinger in my mind, if they could do it right again. That 'if' holds true for any title though, and for each writer's individual parts. As long as they were set up as pretty big individual chunks though, I think it could work. Not 4 issues for one person, then 4 issues for another. Have them plot and plan out 12-25+ issue arcs for each writer so there's plenty of time for the 2nd writer to prep all their stuff while the 1st writer is putting their's out. Same long term planning they're doing now, just tighten it up a bit so you get a flow from one writer's story directly into the next and just keep the series going instead of ending and restarting it a few months later.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

nwoslave
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

Wait they are ending bloodshot? What the SQUEE was the point of the whole book? Now I'm bleeping bleeped I wasted money on a meandering story with no point.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Jeff Lemire has written 18 issues of Bloodshot Reborn, 4 issues of Bloodshot USA, and now 12 issues of Bloodshot Salvation (Probably a one-shot or special or two I'm missing).
He's written one of the longest runs on the character ever. He's greatly expanded the mythos and added more depth / characterization than anyone since the characters conception.
I would hardly say there was no point. I've thoroughly enjoyed his run and am confident the last few issues will be well worth the ride.
Dan
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

nwoslave
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

sonicdan wrote:Jeff Lemire has written 18 issues of Bloodshot Reborn, 4 issues of Bloodshot USA, and now 12 issues of Bloodshot Salvation (Probably a one-shot or special or two I'm missing).
He's written one of the longest runs on the character ever. He's greatly expanded the mythos and added more depth / characterization than anyone since the characters conception.
I would hardly say there was no point. I've thoroughly enjoyed his run and am confident the last few issues will be well worth the ride.
Dan
Look I known didn't say the current salvation book but how you assumed I meant everything since 2012 is a mystery. At least those books had a point to them, salvation meh.

Think about it, this whole salvation story has been plain Jane vanilla with a tarry of a story. It has meandered between saving his daughter to his wife to some dog and a whole issue with no pictures If that was the point of Salvation it's pretty bleeping poor. As a matter of fact I'm dropping the book nothing of benefit has come from it and nothing about my completist says to stay on until the end.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk