Bloodshot Salvation #12 to be Lemire's Last

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

https://www.inverse.com/article/45096-b ... inal-issue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully, there's more Bloodshot to come soon. I would be surprised otherwise.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: Bloodshot Salvation #12 to be Lemire's Last

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I do like the way that Lemire has continually tied things together, especially the Book of Death and 4001AD stuff. I wonder what's next for Bloodshot and if Lemire will be doing anything else for Valiant?

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Slightly concerning news that Lemire is off the character, if he’s not writing anything else for Valiant then this is another blow (after Heisurrer left). It’ll be interesting to see what fresh talent the new editors can get on board.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I have not purchased or read any of the Bloodshot Salvation trades. Looks like I will just wait for a Deluxe HC to read the series. :(

tanord
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by tanord »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Slightly concerning news that Lemire is off the character, if he’s not writing anything else for Valiant then this is another blow (after Heisurrer left). It’ll be interesting to see what fresh talent the new editors can get on board.

What if they are cleaning house and Valiant is looking to prepare for the return of Jim Shooter to the company? IDW did that with G.I. Joe where they got the license and brought Larry Hama on board.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

tanord wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Slightly concerning news that Lemire is off the character, if he’s not writing anything else for Valiant then this is another blow (after Heisurrer left). It’ll be interesting to see what fresh talent the new editors can get on board.

What if they are cleaning house and Valiant is looking to prepare for the return of Jim Shooter to the company? IDW did that with G.I. Joe where they got the license and brought Larry Hama on board.
As much as I like Jim, bringing him on board would be the opposite of cleaning house, imo. His editorial style requires a high level of control and it's apparent that DMG wants control.

It doesn't matter, the odds of that happening are infinitesimal. I wouldn't want it anyway.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

tanord wrote:

That could be the silliest thing ive heard. I doubt Jim Shooter is coming back, and to be honest, i don't think Valiant need him. The stories being told now are much more interesting. I understand nostalgia, but that that's really stretching it.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

First off, DMG doesn’t know who the *SQUEE* Jim Shooter is. If they gave one drizzling *SQUEE* about VALIANTs history they wouldn’t have bounced Dino, Warren, et al. Even if they did know who he was, bringing him in would be a terrible idea and likely lead to the end of VALIANT as a publisher. For as much as the guy has done in the past, he’s been completely irrelevant for almost 2 decades now. It’s like old school Marvel fans pining for the return of Stan Lee as EiC. Please stop. End rant.

Anyway...This is another HUGE loss for VALIANT. Lemire is/was arguably their biggest name writer in the industry. I’d be interested to know if this was the planned end of his multi-year run, or a more abrupt exit. Most likely the former as he’s been going strong on the title for some time now.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

To be honest, while Lemire is a talent and big name to have on the book, I'm ready for a change.

I'm left wondering if Kindt will survive the shakeout.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

I think Jeff has been ready to leave for while now. Lemire thought he was done after Reborn, but decided to pitch Salvation after a change of heart. Hence the gap between the two series. Jeff's been writing Bloodshot since 2014. Salvation is the grand finale to a four year run starting with The Valiant. If he wants to take a break then it's cool.

Joe is the new head Valiant editor. I doubt Valiant will bring anyone who would undermine his authority. So he should get used to him being the main man in charge. Valiant board members have been asking for new writers to join for a while now. We have Elliot Rahal, but not much else. I'm not against seeing new faces in Valiant's 2019 lineup. Mel hinted that they've already been putting things together for next year.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Not sure how I feel about this news.

I've enjoyed Salvation and thought it was scheduled to run for a couple of years at least. The issues so far have laid the path for some longer term storytelling which it now looks like we're not going to reap the benefits of.

Given all the movie talk I am surprised the the series is finishing (abruptly).

Hopefully someone from Valiant comes out and talks to the direction of Bloodshot soon to alleviate the fans concerns.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

A few thoughts and baseless speculation

- I don't think Shooter is on the radar, that ship has sailed for sure.

- I would look at the recent Lion Forge Catalyst Prime superhero universe where Joe Illidge was the head editor for a possible preview of what may be coming to Valiant. They mention more diversity and expanding the universe a few times in the interview. I wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of the Catalyst Prime writers to be doing Valiant books in the near future: Brandon Thomas, Christopher Priest, Joe Casey, David F. Walker, Alex de Campi, Amy Chu.

- I imagine with DMG involved with the Bloodshot movie they have the script done or at least know the general storyline. It would make sense to relaunch Bloodshot that's more in line with what the movie version will be.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Good riddance! :clap:

But for real though, I really don't want him to leave Valiant for good. I'd like to see him take the reigns of another A-lister, or maybe even Unity.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

jmatt wrote:To be honest, while Lemire is a talent and big name to have on the book, I'm ready for a change.

This.

Both Kindt and Lemire have handled themselves professionally over this shake up. Loyalty is a tough to lose, so I'd understand if both move on entirely.

I'd still like Lemire to play in this sandbox. I'd be interested in a Harbinger series from him, something reflective of post-HW2.

I just hope this issue #12 is a doozy. Go out big! Make it hard on the next guy!

For Bloodshot--I'd like to see Gage of all the options in house. His Ninjak's has been excellent.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:To be honest, while Lemire is a talent and big name to have on the book, I'm ready for a change.

Heisserer and Lemire leaving seems more like a creator decision than VEI deciding it. So my concern is A level talent leaving and being replaced by B or C level writers.

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I wonder how many of his BOOK OF DEATH threads we'll see? I know I never stop asking about Pirate Bloodshot and Armstrong, but there was also Bloodshot: Dinosaur Hunter and Bloodshot: Robot Fighter, along with his time spent living with the Eskimo people. It was also said in Fred's A&A that Archer will kill Bloodshot (not sure if that still works given the 4001AD Bloodshot) and that there are 4 Harbinger Wars. Lemire seemed to really be plotting for the long term so I wonder if anyone else will run with these threads?

I hope whoever Valiant gets to write any of their titles in the future does their homework and reads every title several times to pick up on all the little threads. Fred Van Lente and Jeff Lemire dropped in so many ideas that are just begging to be revisited down the line.

Slightly OT but, ....

Revisiting Fred's A&A recently and I discovered they mention Britannia (second panel): https://books.google.com/books?id=XDhcC ... al&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I also got a PM from a recently unemployed Valiant CEO that said Heisserer's 4002AD SECRET WEAPONS pitch was a go, something that they worked on for months back and forth and everyone was really excited about it. He only assumes it isn't happening because of new management or because Eric left. Either way he said him and Warren had big plans for 4002AD.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Really they are doing it again.
Guess we'll see xo start over again. Bla bla bla so bord of this nonsence.
So far salvation has been pretty low on the entertainment factor. Started off good but kinda blowing in the wind now. I have faith we will have some cool moments soon.
I Miss the good old days.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

I know how this board loves unsolicited negativity and I hate to pile on, but I think I'm going to stop buying the monthlies and see how all this shakes out. I've just grown bored with the universe. Everything seems to be treading water or retreading through secret unknown history.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:Really they are doing it again.
Guess we'll see xo start over again. Bla bla bla so bord of this nonsence.
So far salvation has been pretty low on the entertainment factor. Started off good but kinda blowing in the wind now. I have faith we will have some cool moments soon.
I dont plan on dropping bloodshot or xo but all the other stuff doesnt intrest me. Hopefully DMG puts out some on going titles and soon that I'm actuelly interested in.

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

possumgrease wrote:I know how this board loves unsolicited negativity and I hate to pile on, but I think I'm going to stop buying the monthlies and see how all this shakes out. I've just grown bored with the universe. Everything seems to be treading water or retreading through secret unknown history.
I hear ya' man. The whole line seems to have lost all momentum, compared to even a year ago. It's hard to place a finger on it, the quality isn't bad, but everything feels so disparate.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

kinggirlfriend wrote:It's hard to place a finger on it, the quality isn't bad, but everything feels so disparate.
Yes. Exactly.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by betterthanezra »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Heisserer and Lemire leaving seems more like a creator decision than VEI deciding it. So my concern is A level talent leaving and being replaced by B or C level writers.
It's not Lemire would still be writing for VEI if Warren and Dinesh were still in place

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

possumgrease wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:It's hard to place a finger on it, the quality isn't bad, but everything feels so disparate.
Yes. Exactly.
I'm gonna have to agree, to an extent. X-O being off-planet for a year is a part of that, which is understandable. I think a lot of it is that books start and stop, have short runs, lots of 'pause' issues, etc. I've enjoyed it all but I'm not getting the sense of a cohesive universe.

I think HW2 will remedy much of this. Oh, and, where the hell is Pete? Or the other Renegades? Or Harada?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
Yes. Exactly.
I'm gonna have to agree, to an extent. X-O being off-planet for a year is a part of that, which is understandable. I think a lot of it is that books start and stop, have short runs, lots of 'pause' issues, etc. I've enjoyed it all but I'm not getting the sense of a cohesive universe.

I think HW2 will remedy much of this. Oh, and, where the hell is Pete? Or the other Renegades? Or Harada?
In the back of xo today we saw a child getting activated. Do we know whom that is. It does not look like Pete.