Ivar's Timeline

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Ivar's Timeline

Post by TheFerg714 »

There's something I've been a little confused about since finishing Ivar, Timewalker. Before reading it I always thought that Ivar could be literally anywhere in time whenever he wanted. Ie: he could pop into any story at any time if the writer so chooses.

So my question is: When would he have the time? A&A and Timewalker make his story out to be actually pretty small, and I really don't know when he would have found the time to do anything but the events that we see in A&A/Timewalker. So what am I missing here? Am I wrong about the continua?

1. Ivar activates the Boon
2. Neela pulls him through a timearc right before everyone dies.
3. The events of 'Ending History.'
4. The Archies find him in 4001 to trap him in the continua. (which I thought meant he could view all of history and astral project, but not actually move through time)
5. The events of 'Far Faraway.' Ivar is set free by Archer.
6. Ivar goes on a pub crawl through history with Armstrong.
7. The events of 'Making History.' Ivar stops Neela from breaking chronology protection and paradoxically sends her on a journey to break chronology protection.
8. The events of 'Breaking History.' Ivar stops the Mistress from destroying reality by kissing her? Which kills him? (I might be a little fuzzy on this part)
9. Wash. Rinse. Repeat

I just don't see how you can justify Ivar showing up in Vault of Spirits (for example), unless he did it in the time between Far Faraway and Making History.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Ivar's Timeline

Post by BugsySig »

The easiest answer is with time travel you can squeeze in an appearance at anytime. He does take Aram back to bar crawl through time before going off to "save a girl"...knowing how all of the events were going to unfold once he started them (by visiting Neila), and knowing there may have been no stopping them, he could have done any number of things inbetween. Much like older Doctors appearing in the new series at various points, there's always a way to fit it in.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

BugsySig wrote:The easiest answer is with time travel you can squeeze in an appearance at anytime. He does take Aram back to bar crawl through time before going off to "save a girl"...knowing how all of the events were going to unfold once he started them (by visiting Neila), and knowing there may have been no stopping them, he could have done any number of things inbetween. Much like older Doctors appearing in the new series at various points, there's always a way to fit it in.
Eh, I just don't buy that explanation. The events in the comics that we see make it look like Ivar doesn't really have much off-time.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

That was my takeaway as well. He basically has that one story after he's free. I swear there was even an interview somewhere where either Dinesh or Lente said the same thing. Sure they can always cheat, (and I'm sure they will). But Neela's the Timewalker now. That's it.

I hope they stick to it. The Immortal Brothers are my favorite part of Valiant and it really adds some tragedy to Ivar's character. He destroyed the world once, but eventually saved it. I like that no matter what happens with VEI we got a complete story for both Ivar and Gilad. I wish we'd get a future Aram story, post Archer. I'm dying to see Pirate Armstrong and Bloodshot.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:That was my takeaway as well. He basically has that one story after he's free. I swear there was even an interview somewhere where either Dinesh or Lente said the same thing. Sure they can always cheat, (and I'm sure they will). But Neela's the Timewalker now. That's it.

I hope they stick to it. The Immortal Brothers are my favorite part of Valiant and it really adds some tragedy to Ivar's character. He destroyed the world once, but eventually saved it. I like that no matter what happens with VEI we got a complete story for both Ivar and Gilad. I wish we'd get a future Aram story, post Archer. I'm dying to see Pirate Armstrong and Bloodshot.
1) I'd love a pirate Armstrong/Bloodshot book, but I would never want a book starring only Armstrong. That's basically what A+A did, and it failed hard imo.
2) I have zero problems with the story of 'Ivar, Timewalker.'
3) I really like Neela a lot.
4) I want more Immortal Bros adventures! They don't have to be together, but it helps. As much as I loved Timewalker, I really would rather Ivar have a more open-ended story in which he could pop into any story.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

TheFerg714 wrote:The events in the comics that we see make it look like Ivar doesn't really have much off-time.
In issue #1 when Ivar first meets Neela, he has 75th century anti-gravity tech that he seems very comfortable using. When did he get it?
When he and Neela jump through so many different time periods quickly, he acted like he had been to them before (and possibly stayed in each a long time). When did he do that?

If we don't know, then we might not know centuries of Ivar stories.

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:The events in the comics that we see make it look like Ivar doesn't really have much off-time.
In issue #1 when Ivar first meets Neela, he has 75th century anti-gravity tech that he seems very comfortable using. When did he get it?
When he and Neela jump through so many different time periods quickly, he acted like he had been to them before (and possibly stayed in each a long time). When did he do that?

If we don't know, then we might not know centuries of Ivar stories.
I believe he has a lot of that knowledge from his time in the prison, where he could observe but not interact with events from throughout time.

I still maintain he could have done any number of things prior to going to save Neela, though.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:I still maintain he could have done any number of things prior to going to save Neela, though.
Same here. I can't see anything that would prevent him from having accessed time arcs in the gaps between those events that would allow for additional Ivar tales.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I still maintain he could have done any number of things prior to going to save Neela, though.
Same here. I can't see anything that would prevent him from having accessed time arcs in the gaps between those events that would allow for additional Ivar tales.
Idk, he seemed pretty hell bent on getting straight to Neela after the #TimeCrawl. :?