14 Comic Book Movies through 2019

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
14 Comic Book Movies through 2019

Post by jmatt »

Talk about a glut.

And this doesn't even include what Valiant may have in store.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: 14 Comic Book Movies through 2019

Post by depluto »

Man, EW is a stool sample of a web site.

It's to the point now for me where I skip most of these and wait to watch them at home later. I like going to the movies, just not every week.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

That's where I'm at. I still haven't seen Black Panther. Or Wonder Woman. Or the recent Marvel Spidey. facepalm

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

jmatt wrote:That's where I'm at. I still haven't seen Black Panther. Or Wonder Woman. Or the recent Marvel Spidey. facepalm
Watch BP & Spidey: Homecoming, but don't go out of your way to see WW. It's not horrible, by any means, but it's overrated.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Savant wrote:
jmatt wrote:That's where I'm at. I still haven't seen Black Panther. Or Wonder Woman. Or the recent Marvel Spidey. facepalm
Watch BP & Spidey: Homecoming, but don't go out of your way to see WW. It's not horrible, by any means, but it's overrated.
I'd second this mostly. Black Panther comes out on DVD next week, so it'll be easy to see via Redbox soon. Homecoming was the best Spider-Man movie in years.

Out of the list from the EW website you linked to, I'm only majorly interested in Deadpool 2, Ant Man & The Wasp, Glass, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Spidey 2, New Mutants, X-Force, and Guardians of the Galaxy 3. I usually only have the funds to see one or maybe two movies in theater each year, so about half of these will likely have to wait for DVD releases to get seen. And of course, assuming Bloodshot actually films this summer, then it should be released sometime next year also. That one will have to be a theater outing for sure. At least once.

The rest of the list is DVD watching for sure, if that (I still haven't seen Suicide Squad or Justice League, if that gives you some clue of my minimum quality threshold for being interested enough in a movie). I admit to a bias for Marvel movies over DC, and by that I generally mean the MCU itself, not the X-Men franchise (which can die anytime now as long as Disney gets the rights and can reboot the mutants into the MCU properly). There are exceptions though. I LOVED Logan (and I'd love an X-23 movie probably also), and the Deadpool franchise (including X-force hopefully) is great and totally a separate thing from the rest of the X-Men films for me. I think New Mutants going horror-style will also be unique and cool enough to make a good impact (and I've got a soft spot for that team since I really grew up with them).
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Saw WW and liked it a lot, but like you, I haven't seen Spider-Man, Ragnarok and - facepalm facepalm facepalm - Black Panther. Can't get interested right now in this sort of material, even though I loved these characters all of my life. Its that "I just know how a SH movie goes, from beginning to end, save for a few twists" and also a fed up attitude from my part towards the fandom around these products. I'm tired of seeing announcements for stupid videos of momma's basement bloggers "reacting" to a trailer on youtube. I'm tired of "must read" lists for newbs that are everyday on those s*itty comic book sites like Newsarama or CBR. Some 80s music hit being used in a nostalgic way for us old timers. The fact that characters in the comics somehow are slowly turning into the mainstream media versions of them, because Reg Joe "might" one day try a comic (he won't) and he will be isomehow nterested in a book that has SLJ as a character (he won't).

I think I just "want" to see the new Valiant movies because they will be a New thing, and with that maybe a bit more of originality is on the table for these.

I'll catch up later down the road, but I'm just waaaaaaaay tired of Big Budget Superhero movies and tv shows. 2018 has been weird, in the sense that I do feel I'm getting "too old for this s*it". Over the last 20 years I've seen Wolverine snikt fools, the Avengers assembled, T'Challa kicking a** like its nobodys business, a mindblowingly great cinematic Batman and Superman fight, Diana Prince as a bad-a** Amazon, Ant-Man turning into Giant-Man, Nightcrawler teleporting, etc, etc, etc. Saw it, heard it it, know it, that whole thing.
Fatigue.
:|
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

See, I will go and see all of these, because Movie Pass still allows me to see every single movie for $10/mo. The more I see, the cheaper each movie costs me. Luckily, my wife likes the super-hero type movies, so it won't be hard getting her out to see these. They may not happen opening night, but the following week is still pretty solid!
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

ShadowTuga wrote:I'll catch up later down the road, but I'm just waaaaaaaay tired of Big Budget Superhero movies and tv shows. 2018 has been weird, in the sense that I do feel I'm getting "too old for this s*it".
It's weird. I enjoy superhero movies but since I don't go often, it's like all I ever see in a theater. I'm not tired of watching good SH movies; I'm just tired of the idea of superhero movies... if that makes any sense.

To clarify, I saw the first 30 minutes of the new Spidey, then my son texted that he'd run his car off the road and that was the end of movie night. He was fine. The car, not so much. I think that ran me $1300. Where's Spidey when ya need him? :lol:

Oh, and Ragnarok was pretty good. Lots of humor, too.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

jmatt wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I'll catch up later down the road, but I'm just waaaaaaaay tired of Big Budget Superhero movies and tv shows. 2018 has been weird, in the sense that I do feel I'm getting "too old for this s*it".
It's weird. I enjoy superhero movies but since I don't go often, it's like all I ever see in a theater. I'm not tired of watching good SH movies; I'm just tired of the idea of superhero movies... if that makes any sense.

To clarify, I saw the first 30 minutes of the new Spidey, then my son texted that he'd run his car off the road and that was the end of movie night. He was fine. The car, not so much. I think that ran me $1300. Where's Spidey when ya need him? :lol:

Oh, and Ragnarok was pretty good. Lots of humor, too.
I get what you mean by being tired by the idea. A good movie is a good movie, genre be damned, superpants or not,and I know I will HUGELY enjoy seeing the Wakandian Warrior Falls' in BP or the first Spidey movie I feel like wanting to at least watch it, actually. Never a fan of Toby Maguire's movies, not by a mile, 'cept some bits with Octopus in 2.. I am happy that these movies are way cooler and funner to watch than Blade (who da f*ck is Blade, anyway? :? ), Burton/Shumacher's Batverse, Leather Jackets X-Men or the mid 30s looking Spider-Man that cries like a b*tch, as in a female dog whimpering.

REALLY good super movies like Guardians, Logan, The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman, Winter Soldier, Civil War, First Class, Iron Man I* and a handful of others I really liked) that are good besides the coolness of seeing these characters come to life (for a millenial saying of yesterdays "dude, being in awe because Thanos is part of the MCU is sooooooo 2012" :P . I get it, movies can bring these characters to life in ways we as kid could only dream. Dream, literally, or daydreaming like me. Seeing the Avengers for the first time in a group intantly brought a little tear of joy to my eyes in the theater. I never, EVER, thought these characters could be treated this way. Since then, its like everything lacks that newness factor, cept the most B level dudes we admired all our lives like freaking T'Challa which still mindblows me that this was a character that NOBODY, NOBODY, I SAYS NOBODY outside this hobby ever heard of. And now its like the new Black Jesus ("Blackish" reference 8-) ) has arrived. It is a whole different world, 180º change in mindset of the masses. Now - its Cool to see these. With that, comes a buckload of *SQUEE** stuff like Suicide Squad, Iron Fist on TV or the first couple of Thors, because THE SUPERGENRE its so darn popular.
There was a time in recent times :| that I was excited for anything, ANYTHING. Now, with all the overload of info and leaks and discussion online and whatnot, one can not get just comic Book news, emphasis on the book part. It annoys the "purist, old fart, high-horsey Book Reader" me that the mainstream peeps are more of a temporary crowd, here while its still Cool.
But hey, once it gets "lame", maybe there will still be room for a surprise hit-quality combo movie. Maybe Shadowman will turn the table, who knows? :hope: (i'm still hoping for a real horror superhero movie, but done in a Exorcist way; the way where you almost pis* your pants or stop midway)

That part about your car sucks, indeed, but man, that's a scary situation. Glad all was well, save your wallet. :D :thumb:

*the 1st super flick that I felt was a superflick done the right way, finally! Loved Nolan's Batman but that's not comics Bats. RDJ is Tony, and the whole light feel of the movie makes it rewatchable a la Empire Strikes Back or Pulp Fiction. It's such a a strong, tight script with wonderful acting and innovative ways to approach FX stuff like the whole helmet thing. Iron Man is in many ways, THE Superhero movie that is the most faithful to its source material tone. Not jokes by jokes sake, just a "world outside Marvel's offices' window" kind of story. Like Marvel's great comics from decades ago.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Superhero/Super Bad Guy comics are one category and pother comic book movie are an another.

The public does not care if a an action movie ii based on a book or a comic book.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I'm not feeling any fatigue over the volume of superhero flicks coming down the pipe yet. I simply ignore the ones I'm not into, go to the theatre for the ones I'm really into & maybe stream anything in between when it gets released if I feel up to it.

I'm mostly pretty good at tuning out hype & buzz & commentary etc online these days. If a movie is coming that I'm keen on, I'm fairly patient about seeing it when it comes & not obsessing about it before it is released. I will watch trailers ahead of time [though its usually only when a friend or my wife insists on sharing/watching it with me, haha!], and not worry too much about any spoilers from those. Probably just 'cause I'm mellowing with age :lol:

There's quite a few of the Marvel movies on that list that I'm looking forward to. Anything from Marvel Studios especially seems to get better with each release [haven't seen BP yet]. I would love to see the X-Franchise get properly melded into the MCU, but I've heard they don't have any immediate plans to do that.

Never been a strong fan of DC so I tend to ignore those almost entirely [I did see WW & Suicide Squad though].

Hellboy & The Crow are definitely not in the superhero genre, but I'm not surprised to see all comic book adaptations get lumped together like this.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;