New Deluxe Edition and Compendium...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
New Deluxe Edition and Compendium...

Post by jaden_sai »

Last edited by jaden_sai on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: New Deluxe Edition...

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Collecting FAITH (LIMITED SERIES) #1-4, FAITH (ONGOING SERIES) #1–8, HARBINGER: FAITH #0 from Joshua Dysart (Harbinger) and artist Robert Gill (Book of Death), A&A: THE ADVENTURES OF ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #5 from writer Fred Van Lente (IVAR, TIMEWALKER) and artist Mike Norton (QUANTUM AND WOODY), along with more than 20 pages of rarely seen art and extras.
Guess that means there has to be a volume 2 for the rest of her series+winterspecial+futureforce and... (only 9... hmm...another mini coming for Faith???).

While I'm not excited, the completist in me is looking forward to the upgrade to HC and I'm very happy that they are continuing with this format under the new regime.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Collecting FAITH (LIMITED SERIES) #1-4, FAITH (ONGOING SERIES) #1–8, HARBINGER: FAITH #0 from Joshua Dysart (Harbinger) and artist Robert Gill (Book of Death), A&A: THE ADVENTURES OF ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #5 from writer Fred Van Lente (IVAR, TIMEWALKER) and artist Mike Norton (QUANTUM AND WOODY), along with more than 20 pages of rarely seen art and extras.
Guess that means there has to be a volume 2 for the rest of her series+winterspecial+futureforce and... (only 9... hmm...another mini coming for Faith???).

While I'm not excited, the completist in me is looking forward to the upgrade to HC and I'm very happy that they are continuing with this format under the new regime.
Yeah, they did not include the Volume 4 TP: :?

Faith (On-going) Volume 4 TP “The Faithless” (9-12)

The Faith limited series has already been collected in a deluxe HC, so I don't know why it was included again. :? They could have 1-12 from the on-going series and a couple of extras.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: New Deluxe Edition and Compendium...

Post by BugsySig »

I don’t really get the XO Compendium. XO 1-29, Unity 1-4 and Armor Hunters 1-4...are basically the 1st 3 Deluxe Editions...It’s nice for new fans, but not much in the way of collectible (soft cover) except for completists. I’d rather have an omnibus with 1-50, Armor Hunters, and all the 0’s, Annuals and Specials.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:

If they're feeling generous they can include the FAITH WARPED TOUR: SAVE BOOBIES PSA. It's only a couple pages but should be included, IMO.

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

While it’s definately an odd way to cut it, they did this so they could do a second volume. Faith 9-12, Faith and the Future Force 1-4, plus extras gives you 10-ish issues and that way you can spread the material that should have been one book into two.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

onearmedwampa3000
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

Where's Deluxe Wrath of the Eternal Warrior?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:Where's Deluxe Wrath of the Eternal Warrior?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
It's been delayed by a few weeks but should be out in May... :hope:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

Faith should have included:
Vol. 1- #0, The United (Unity 12-14), Mini 1-4, A+A 5, and Ongoing 1-4
Vol. 2- Ongoing 5-12, Future Force, and Winter Wonderland

That's 13 issues each. Seems like an obvious choice to me. facepalm

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I want a XO Manowar Classics Omnibus Vol. 2 to collect the second half of the original series, so that I can buy both of them and read the original XO in its entirety. The second volume has been way too long coming already!
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Shadowman99 wrote:I want a XO Manowar Classics Omnibus Vol. 2 to collect the second half of the original series, so that I can buy both of them and read the original XO in its entirety. The second volume has been way too long coming already!
Agreed.

WrathOfArmstrong

Zhuge1 wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:I want a XO Manowar Classics Omnibus Vol. 2 to collect the second half of the original series, so that I can buy both of them and read the original XO in its entirety. The second volume has been way too long coming already!
Agreed.
Agreed. Agreed.

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

Any new deluxe editions announced?

rkjock1

Post by rkjock1 »

1st Among Equals wrote:Any new deluxe editions announced?
Not really. A&A just came out, and Faith is still solicited, but that's about it. There's an X-O Compendium listed as upcoming (that's a softcover Omnibus of the VEI run.) Sadly, outside of basic trades for ongoing series, there's been little to get excited about in terms of reprint material.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

rkjock1 wrote:
Not really. A&A just came out, and Faith is still solicited, but that's about it. There's an X-O Compendium listed as upcoming (that's a softcover Omnibus of the VEI run.) Sadly, outside of basic trades for ongoing series, there's been little to get excited about in terms of reprint material.
I don't want to be the guy that is always 'doom and gloom' but this looks to me like a way to conserve cash. During the Dinesh, Atom, Hunter era new formats and cool collections seemed to be part of a regular program to build excitement.

WrathOfArmstrong

syzhang28 wrote:
rkjock1 wrote:
I don't want to be the guy that is always 'doom and gloom' but this looks to me like a way to conserve cash. During the Dinesh, Atom, Hunter era new formats and cool collections seemed to be part of a regular program to build excitement.
I'm crossing my fingers, but in 2018 they released 7 or 8 deluxe (counting QW1 reprint), as they did in 2017 and 2015... I'm not sure if I'm missing anything on Amazon, but 2016 I'm only counting 5, not sure when Harbinger and XO vol 1s got reprints. So I think it's likely part of a budget.

And there's not really a lot they could put in deluxe in 2019. Long awaited Unity vol 2? Dead Drop DLX? Pak/Milligan Eternal Warrior...

I assume 2019 will have Bloodshot Salvation and the first volume of Kindt's XO... maybe HW2 warrants a deluxe? Personally, I'd rather have Generation Zero Deluxe.

I just hope they don't gauge people's interest in these deluxe editions by the last 3 releases... A+A, Q&W2, and Faith are probably the least exciting offerings--for completists only...

If this rumored RAI 2019 series is on the way, I hope they do a RAI/4001AD compendium.

Rai Deluxe Vol 1 really should get a second print.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Like others I am a little underwhelmed by this.

The Faith mini series was already collected in a deluxe format. As already pointed out by people why not do Faith ongoing 1-12, Faith and the Future Force 1-4 and Wonderland Special 1. Not sure the point of collecting X-O Manowar 2012 in a soft-cover Omnibus as opposed to a hard cover Omnibus (although as others have pointed out it really is just the first 3 deluxe X-O Manowar books).
I will pick up the Faith but skip the tpb.

What I would like to see in deluxe format would be:

1) Imperium Deluxe 1-16
2) Unity Deluxe 2 – Unity 15-25
3) Eternal Warrior 1-8, Eternal Warrior Awakening 1, EW Days of Steel 1-3
4) Generation Zero 1-9
5) Harbinger Renegades 0-8

I doubt that we will be getting any of these at is seems the days of collecting everything in deluxe editions may be over.

While dreaming I would also like to see:

1) X-0 Manowar (VH1) Valiant Masters which was solicited and only released digitally
2) Eternal Warrior (VH1) Valiant Masters which was solicited and never released
3) X-O Manowar (VH1) Omnibus reprinting the second half of the series

Unfortunately I am guessing for financial reasons we are more likely to see reprints of more of deluxe editions already released as we have seen for X-O Manowar 1, Harbinger 1 and Quantum and Woody 1 that new deluxe editions.

rkjock1

Post by rkjock1 »

magnus20009 wrote:Like others I am a little underwhelmed by this.

Not sure the point of collecting X-O Manowar 2012 in a soft-cover Omnibus as opposed to a hard cover Omnibus (although as others have pointed out it really is just the first 3 deluxe X-O Manowar books).
Because, there are many new readers who didn't get these Dlx Editions when they came out, and there are others who cannot afford the high price tag. Honestly, lots of reasons. I know I'd buy Bloodshot in SC, but didn't feel it was worth getting in HC, for example.

But I agree, that I would hate to see them switch to the Compendium format in place of Deluxe.