Valiant Sunday - Hear directly from Joe and Mel

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
Valiant Sunday - Hear directly from Joe and Mel

Post by Jace »

Hey everyone. Obviously there has been a ton of change lately at Valiant. Beloved friends and founders like Dinesh have left and there is worry that the DMG buyout is Acclaim 2.0. There are seceal threads filled with emotional responses from many people with their thoughts and reactions. Also what has a lot of people worried is that we are used to getting so much info and access from Valiant. DBS and I have talked about how we as fans have really been spoiled in that way, and Valiant seems to have gone form the most accessible and transparent publisher to the least.

Well I wanted to give Executive Editor Joe Illidge and Director of Marketing Mel Caylo the opportunity to speak directly to the fans and try to bring back some of that transparency. They both were excited to come on the podcast and try to ease some of the fears that many fans have. We also talk a bit about their backgrounds and experiences in the comic industry.

I hope you will all give it a listen and reach out to Joe and Mel through social media with your thoughts on what they have to say.

Personally, I still have my worries and doubts about the future of Valiant, but they have been lessened drastically. I know Joe personally and having met Mel recently, I can say they have a lot of passion for Valiant and the characters. If the Valiant we love does somehow end, it won't be because these guys didn't give it their all to see Valiant succeed.

https://lrmonline.com/news/episode-294/

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Valiant Sunday - Hear directly from Joe and Mel

Post by jxm640 »

This is awesome guys.

ps. It is great that Joe has retweeted this.
This is what happens when you try to work...

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

:clap: Seriously great interview! :clap:

This makes me feel much, MUCH better about the future of Valiant. I'm still not fully in, but now more than ever, I can myself continuing my potentially unhealthy obsession with Valiant.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I just finished to the interview. Great work on getting Joe and Mel to be interviewed and reassure fans that it is business as usual. I feel a lot more reassured that Valiant will continue to thrive, and that these guys are more than capable of continuing the great job started by Dinesh and Warren.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

Hey,

Can you clarify something for me?

Mel stated that Valiant is focused on the comics. In regards to them working with the film department, they said they will do promotional issues as opposed to new jumping on points (I think). Does this mean that there will be a line of comics that relates to the film universe or that series will be renumered (renamed, whatever) to coincide with the release fo the films and other such media?
This is what happens when you try to work...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I've only just had time to listen to the portion with Joe Illidge's interview, but that was great stuff! I have said it before, but gotta say again that you're really good at interviewing, Jace! Great series of questions. Glad to hear Joe's passion & enthusiasm for the Valiant Universe, and that he really wants to pick up where Warren & Dinsesh have left off in terms of growing the VU.

One little nugget that really stood out - Joe pondered the notion of reintroducing a team book in the wake of Harby Wars 2, and whether or not they should/would do that. I hope the answer is yes!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

grendeljd wrote:I've only just had time to listen to the portion with Joe Illidge's interview, but that was great stuff! I have said it before, but gotta say again that you're really good at interviewing, Jace! Great series of questions. Glad to hear Joe's passion & enthusiasm for the Valiant Universe, and that he really wants to pick up where Warren & Dinsesh have left off in terms of growing the VU.

One little nugget that really stood out - Joe pondered the notion of reintroducing a team book in the wake of Harby Wars 2, and whether or not they should/would do that. I hope the answer is yes!!

Thanks for the kind words Josh. Now if I could only get Chris Hardwick to hire me to do comic coverage full time for Nerdist!

I am sure that more specific questions will be in order regarding the future of Valiant after HW2 once we get a little further down the path. Joe and Mel are both open to coming on again in the future so I will be sure to keep you guys informed!

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

jxm640 wrote:Hey,

Can you clarify something for me?

Mel stated that Valiant is focused on the comics. In regards to them working with the film department, they said they will do promotional issues as opposed to new jumping on points (I think). Does this mean that there will be a line of comics that relates to the film universe or that series will be renumered (renamed, whatever) to coincide with the release fo the films and other such media?

I don't think they are far enough down the path to say one way or the other for certain. But I expect that the current Bloodshot title/character/storyline coming out at the time of the film would be unaffected. There would be a separate title more closely tied into the film property. I would give the recent Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe as an example. It is the characters we know but clearly takes place outside of the current Valiant comic book continuity.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Refreshing, thanks.