Help with one shots, trades and what's missing

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shadow5555
My posts can all fit in a short box
Help with one shots, trades and what's missing

Post by shadow5555 »

Hey guys, popped in since you all keep a pulse on these things more than I do these days. Been collecting the TPB's when they come out (when I see them on Amazon).

However, I was looking at Lone Star to possibly get some singles of VH1 books I only have in TPB form from back then and stumbled across Eternal Warrior: Awakening? I was first like wth is this? Did some looking saw that is was a one-shot and that there were others.

Went looking to see if any of those had been collected, and saw none (as far as I can tell) have been collected in any trades at the moment. I do see A&A: The Adventures Archer and Armstrong Deluxe Edition contains IMMORTAL BROTHERS: TALE OF THE GREEN KNIGHT #1, and ARMSTRONG AND THE VAULT OF SPIRITS #1. While not super happy about that because that means re-buying issues I already have, it might be the only way to get those issues in collected form.

A bit disappointed that they are (if they are) shoehorning these stand alone issues into more expensive collections considering I've been pretty loyal with my TPB buying since the beginning, but not much to do about that I guess. =/

----

So to my question are these the only one-shots & Zero issues released since the Valiant: Zeroes & Origins Volume 1 collection in 2015?

Is there a list of all of these oddities somewhere that someone can point me too? (this is getting confusing to me)

Also is there a list of all of the currently released TPB's and what issues they contain? This would be really awesome.

Have any of these been collected? (if yes)

Then where?

Also what were the FOUR anniversary One-Shot books solicited? (I can only find three of them in the news I've looked through, see - anniversary One-Shot? below)

Eternal Warrior: Awakening #1 - anniversary One-Shot?
Rai: The History of the Valiant Universe #1 - anniversary One-Shot?
BLOODSHOT’S DAY OFF #1 - anniversary One-Shot?
X-O Manowar: Commander Trill #0
Book of Death: Legends of the Geomancer #1-4 (I know they swore this wouldn't be reprinted in a TPB....was it?)
SECRET WEAPONS: OWEN’S STORY #0

I know about these in the new A&A Deluxe Collection (but were they collected in anything else?)
Armstrong and the Vault of Spirits #1
IMMORTAL BROTHERS: TALE OF THE GREEN KNIGHT #1 - anniversary One-Shot?

Collected
-------------
Harbinger: Bleeding Monk #0 (Harbinger Deluxe Volume 2 and Omegas TPB)
Shadowman #13X (Shadowman Deluxe 2)
Ninjak #0 (Deluxe Edition 2 the only place to get this collected?)
VALIANT-SIZED QUANTUM AND WOODY #1 (collected only in Quantum and Woody Deluxe Edition Book 2?)
DIVINITY #0 (only in Divinity: The Complete Trilogy Deluxe Edition)

Did I miss anything? They aren't making this easy to keep up.

A Zero issues Vol. 2 TPB would've been nice to collect these oddities.

Might just have to buy the singles pricing these deluxe editions in addition to what I already bought in TPB is getting crazy.

Cest la vie.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.
I AM The Night!!!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Help with one shots, trades and what's missing

Post by greg »

shadow5555 wrote:Is there a list of all of these oddities somewhere that someone can point me too? (this is getting confusing to me)
Here's a list of every individual issue published in order on one page: http://valiant101.com/valiant2012to2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have info on the trades.

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

greg wrote:
shadow5555 wrote:Is there a list of all of these oddities somewhere that someone can point me too? (this is getting confusing to me)
Here's a list of every individual issue published in order on one page: http://valiant101.com/valiant2012to2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have info on the trades.
Thanks Greg, I saw that in another topic (I still wasn't sure which were the anniversary books looking at that).

I'll give it a once over again and see if I can correlate about the books I asked about above.

If anyone else has any info, I would appreciate it. :wink:
I AM The Night!!!

greg

Post by greg »

Anything on the list that isn't obviously a continuation of a series is something that might be easily overlooked. Regular issues have #6-#9, #10-#13, etc., but one-shot titles like E.W. Awakening and Rai History should stand out, both in May-Aug 2017.

I don't think "anniversary" is the right word. They're just one-shots, possibly not celebrating anything about the title (like #1-#12 then an Annual)... unless they're just generic Valiant 25th Anniversary marketing.

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

greg wrote:Anything on the list that isn't obviously a continuation of a series is something that might be easily overlooked. Regular issues have #6-#9, #10-#13, etc., but one-shot titles like E.W. Awakening and Rai History should stand out, both in May-Aug 2017.

I don't think "anniversary" is the right word. They're just one-shots, possibly not celebrating anything about the title (like #1-#12 then an Annual)... unless they're just generic Valiant 25th Anniversary marketing.
In all of the news articles I found that's what they were touting them up as, so I ran with that (for lack of a better name to call those four issues).

I was looking for Harbinger Faith #0 and found out that they put it into Unity TPB 4 along with UNITY #0 :|

That's the reason I thought to ask over here, you all are closer to the pulse of the month to month than I am. I also mistakenly believed that Valiant would carry on as they had been in the past by including issues that didn't fit in anywhere in related trades (or not like the Unity one shows) but as I've noticed with the 2016 & on releases, they've not been very good with keeping up with those odd issues.

(I noted 13 issues at the moment that haven't been collected outside of the Deluxe editions that contain some of the ones listed above) Also noticed Bloodshot Reborn D.C. issues haven't been collected at all as far as I can tell.

Especially in the later half of 2017 the editorial crew has been sleeping at the wheel (otherwise I wouldn't have noticed about a dozen issues missing like I noted).

Anyway I'll wait to see if any of the other members chime in and can offer any additional answers to my questions. Thanks again.
I AM The Night!!!

greg

Post by greg »

Right, there are a few guys who have switched to trades (or always done trades) on the board. Maybe they will have more details on the missing issues. :)

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

X-O Volume 11 TP has the Commander Trill #0 issue inside:

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Valian ... /APR162080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might check Instocktrades.com and you can click on each book to get the contents.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Is A&A: The One Percent collected in a trade? If not, then that, EW Awakening, the Immortal Brothers, and the Vault of Spirits would make a decent trade.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

kjjohanson wrote:Is A&A: The One Percent collected in a trade? If not, then that, EW Awakening, the Immortal Brothers, and the Vault of Spirits would make a decent trade.
Yes! It's in the last volume of Fred's A&A.

I made a thread about this a while back when they first started skipping issues, since I mostly trade wait. It's been a pain having to keep track and make special trips or orders to get certain single issues. Although in typical Valiant fashion I guess it's helped me get back into floppies and going to comic book stores?! I even went out and picked up Faith's: Save Boobies PSA and Rafer's A+A mini comics. This is my Vietnam.

I think these are all the issues that haven't been collected in trades, correct me if I am wrong:

Rai: The History of the Valiant Universe #1
Armstrong and the Vault of Spirits #1
Bloodshot's Day Off #1
Eternal Warrior Awakening #1
Immortal Brothers: The Tale of the Green Knight #1
Divinity #0
Ninjak #0
Shadowman: Rae Sremmurd #1
Faith: Winter Wonderland Special
Secret Weapons #0
Secret Weapons: Owen's Story

Valiant sized Q&W is in the Quantum and Woody Must Die trade.
Bloodshot Reborn #0 - Is actually collected in BLOODSHOT USA, as an epilogue, right where it belongs. I got this wrong last time. I apologize if I hurt anyone.

Book of Death: Legends of the Geomancer - I don't care, I'm going to keep bringing this up. DMGV can earn a lot of goodwill by collecting this and releasing it.

I'm really happy VALIANT HIGH is finally being collected!

I'm a little worried about NINJAK VS, haven't seen it turn up on Amazon yet.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Slightly off topic, but what were the A+A mini comics?

greg

Post by greg »

Jrosen wrote:Slightly off topic, but what were the A+A mini comics?
They were authorized "bootlegs", basically like underground comics printed on a regular copier. Just a marketing tool, but kind of fun because they were mostly just weird (like Rafer's A&A). :D

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

shadow5555 wrote:Also what were the FOUR anniversary One-Shot books solicited? (I can only find three of them in the news I've looked through, see - anniversary One-Shot? below)
Not entirely sure what you're asking here, but the other "Anniversary" one-shot was the Immortal Bros. story.
Eternal Warrior: Awakening #1 - anniversary One-Shot?
This is collected in the Wrath of the Eternal Warrior Deluxe Ed.
Rai: The History of the Valiant Universe #1 - anniversary One-Shot?
This has not been collected yet.
BLOODSHOT’S DAY OFF #1 - anniversary One-Shot?
This is in Bloodshot Reborn Deluxe Ed. Vol. 2.
X-O Manowar: Commander Trill #0
This one's in Vol. 11- The Kill List, or X-O Deluxe Vol. 5.
Book of Death: Legends of the Geomancer #1-4 (I know they swore this wouldn't be reprinted in a TPB....was it?)
Never.
No idea yet. There's also a #0: Nikki's Story issue btw. I REALLY wish Valiant had the foresight to wait and put these two #0's in the Secret Weapons Deluxe Ed.

Damn, I never thought about how much of a *SQUEE* it would be to collect all these one-shots in trade format. That sucks bro. Here's everything else I can think of, that you might have missed:
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd
Boodshot Reborn 0 (only included in Deluxe Vol. 2)
Ninjak 0 (only included in Deluxe Vol. 2)
Faith's Winter Wonderland (hasn't been collected)
Harbinger: Renegade 0 (included in TPB Vol. 2)
Harbinger Wars 0 (pretty sure this will never be included in anything, but I suppose there's always a chance that it'll show up in the deluxe ed)

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

Thank you for all of the help everyone (especially kinggirlfriend :thumb: ) I appreciate the help. I didn't even know about that Shadowman x-over book. :oops:
kinggirlfriend wrote: I made a thread about this a while back when they first started skipping issues, since I mostly trade wait. It's been a pain having to keep track and make special trips or orders to get certain single issues. Although in typical Valiant fashion I guess it's helped me get back into floppies and going to comic book stores?! I even went out and picked up Faith's: Save Boobies PSA and Rafer's A+A mini comics. This is my Vietnam.
Sorry I didn't see that thread, I looked, trust me, I didn't know what the thread title was....

I picked the Faith book up (not even Lonestar had a listing for it) at a price I wasn't too thrilled with considering none of that money goes to that charity, but then again that won't be the last time for something like that.

I'm just going to pretend I don't know anything about those mini comics (again I couldn't find any information on them either).

Thank you for the clarification on the other books I listed above, but wasn't sure about.

I agree about the BoD: Legend of the Geomancer, but thankfully a few years ago one of the sites had a deal (or I bought them off of Ebay, don't remember now) for less then $40 (still crazy prices for books w/that much story heft to them)

Bloodshot Reborn #0 isn't even listed on the Amazon listing as being in the Bloodshot U.S.A. TPB, appreciate the clarification on that one.

One thing I noticed AFTER posting was Bloodshot Reborn, the two Director's Cut issues (The Analog Man & Bloodshot Island) don't look to be collected either (unless I missed something)

Don't know if you noticed, but I did mention that some of the ones I asked about are being put into Deluxe Editions (though omitted from the TPB's for whatever reason) those being....

Divinity #0 (Divinity: The Complete Trilogy Deluxe Edition)
Ninjak #0 (Deluxe Edition #2)
Armstrong and the Vault of Spirits #1 (A&A Deluxe Collection)
IMMORTAL BROTHERS: TALE OF THE GREEN KNIGHT #1 (A&A Deluxe Collection)

-----------------
I'm not looking forward to possibly doing this again in the future (also with the corporate buyout, I'm more than a little concerned as well, but that's not a discussion for here).

These missing books cost me around ~$40+ to get. The deluxe editions w/some of the missing issues ~$200+ and I'd still have to get the missing issues not collected. So I took the cheaper route (if you want to call it that...)

This almost feels like when I was trying to finish off my VH1 collection trying to get those missing Turok & Eternal Warrior issues or when I was buying those anomalies like Secrets of the Valiant Universe #2 or the Bloodshot, Turok & Eternal Warrior one-shots.

At least back then I had previews to fall back on as research, but nowadays I don't haunt the LCS as much as I used too. So this feels like an unnecessary expenditure of time to collect the stories from this line.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :P

Thank you again to everyone who provided me with information, it was a big help and I am really grateful too. :clap:

Now to wait for my books to arrive and the email about those Ultraverse lots I asked about from a seller on Ebay. It never ends does it...? :lol:
I AM The Night!!!

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
shadow5555 wrote:Also what were the FOUR anniversary One-Shot books solicited? (I can only find three of them in the news I've looked through, see - anniversary One-Shot? below)
Not entirely sure what you're asking here, but the other "Anniversary" one-shot was the Immortal Bros. story.
Sorry, apparently that confused Greg as well. That's how Valiant was marketing them, so I wasn't sure what to call them exactly. But thanks for the clarification, I picked that one up with the rest.
No idea yet. There's also a #0: Nikki's Story issue btw. I REALLY wish Valiant had the foresight to wait and put these two #0's in the Secret Weapons Deluxe Ed.
For a minute there, I misread what you said I was like :censored: I missed one, yeah when I was on Lone Star I saw a Zero issue that I knew wasn't in the Secret Weapons trade listed, so that's good now, I picked it up with the others.
Damn, I never thought about how much of a *SQUEE* it would be to collect all these one-shots in trade format. That sucks bro. Here's everything else I can think of, that you might have missed:
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd
Bloodshot Reborn 0 (only included in Deluxe Vol. 2)
Ninjak 0 (only included in Deluxe Vol. 2)
Faith's Winter Wonderland (hasn't been collected)
Harbinger: Renegade 0 (included in TPB Vol. 2)
Harbinger Wars 0 (pretty sure this will never be included in anything, but I suppose there's always a chance that it'll show up in the deluxe ed)
It never used to be this hard, the 1st few years after the relaunch they collected EVERYTHING eventually. (unless they explicitly said so like the Geomancer books) Like I mentioned it wasn't until the middle of 2016 and thru 2017 they started putting ONLY certain issues in the Deluxe Editions (which makes sense, unless you collect the TPB's with the same content minus those issues, then it gets price prohibitive to collect 1 or 2 missing issues for an additional $50 for the HC) that got a little ridiculous and annoying as it was not the normal practice before then.

I hadn't been paying overly close attention until I noticed what I call the 'anniversary issues' and dug further only to find I was pretty deep in and had missed quite a lot of books in my TPB-only quest. And not by my fault, only because their editorial or whomever collects those decided they wanted people to buy the more expensive editions, even if they already bought the TPB's, which is what burns me the worst.

Actually Bloodshot Reborn 0 IS IN the Bloodshot USA TPB (as kinggirlfriend mentioned) it's just not listed in any of the solicitations nor on Amazon. A tad annoying that....

If you're referring to Harbinger Wars II #0, then I guess I'm missing that one too. facepalm So yeah, hopefully that get a release at some point too, not shelling out the $40-50 going rate on Ebay right now for a copy.

I'm having serious flashbacks to the 90's when Wizard used to do these crazy LE books (thankfully many, if not ALL of the VH1 mail-aways were not too expensive to pick up after the market crashed and no one was collecting it since it was for a dead universe)

I'm getting long in the tooth, but I appreciate your help as well.
I AM The Night!!!