Thread for those that didn't like the webseries..Step inside

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Thread for those that didn't like the webseries..Step inside

Post by valiantdude »

What was the point?

It was atrociously bad, i feel bad for Dinesh... That series should never have been released.
Everything about it was total garbage, my kids love valiant, ...they were gagging.. they couldn't believe how bad it was..
What a way to make the valiant universe look terrible to newcomers..
The acting was awful, who the hell cast these people, I can't believe this is real..
What demographic are they shooting for here? the chewing on mercury crowd? knuckle dragging droolers?
This looked like POWER RANGERS with violence.. jesus.. even PR had some production values compared to this..
Can they wipe this from the net? facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm

No wonder DMG and Sony want this removed, omg. cmon guys...I know you love the characters, but this is like bad cosplay with a script and some cameras...
Last edited by valiantdude on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Re: Jeezus..that webseries is terrible...what the hell?

Post by Juki »

Wow... Sorry you feel that way! :?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

valiantdude wrote:What was the point?

It was atrociously bad, i feel bad for Dinesh... That series should never have been released.
Everything about it was total garbage, my kids love valiant, ...they were gagging.. they couldn't believe how bad it was..
The acting was awful, who the hell cast these people, I can't believe this is real..
What demographic are they shooting for here? the chewing on mercury crowd? knuckle dragging droolers?
This looked like POWER RANGERS with violence.. jesus.. even PR had some production values compared to this..
Can they wipe this from the net? facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm

No wonder DMG and Sony want this removed, omg. cmon guys...I know you love the characters, but this is like bad cosplay with a script and some cameras...

You saw nothing positive at all?

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Elveen wrote:
valiantdude wrote:What was the point?

You saw nothing positive at all?
There is always one. Maybe he should change his name from valiant dude to valiant dump.
Lets not feed this troll
I Miss the good old days.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

dude..Im a valiantdude..I want to support valiant..... no I'm sorry nothing positive at all, except some struggling actors and low budget prod people got a paycheck... I mean it contributed to the economy...
eveything about it was off the charts bad..

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

valiantdude wrote:dude..Im a valiantdude..I want to support valiant..... no I'm sorry nothing positive at all, except some struggling actors and low budget prod people got a paycheck... I mean it contributed to the economy...
eveything about it was off the charts bad..
We are all allowed opinions.

I'm surprised you can find zero good about it.

Can I ask you a question Valiantdude?

What were you expecting? How good did you expect the acting to be?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

I mean, there are big budget projects in the works..you know what this reminds me of... KUNG FURY...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anyone who hasnt seen kung fury should actually check it out..

but I'm sure you can see the parrallels when u watch it..

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

im just shocked it could be that bad...
like there are talented people out there that can make low budget cinema..where were they for this...somewhere jim shooter is choking on his cereal...haha..
this really takes the cake for gigantic waste of money for a small company..

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I thought it was pretty good.

:?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

dude the a&a was so bad...so bad...why would you cheapen these properties so bad when first introducing them to the public?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

It reminds a lot of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four movie. It's silly, cartooney, knowingly cheap, and not at all doing justice to the source material.

It's also colorful, fun, energetic, and full of love.

I'm one of the weirdos that doesn't care for comic book movies. Sure, I see some of them but they don't do anything for me. So I really only watched this out of morbid curiosity. On one hand it's exactly what I thought it would be, on the other hand I didn't think it be so much fun. I could see kids really liking this, it's like a live action Saturday morning cartoon. In the best sense.

If this is why Dinesh got the boot I can understand why, but I don't agree with it.

Sure you can cut Roku's mugging, Gilad's corny one-liners of wisdom, Neville's slow dry scenes, X-O's homemade costume, all the bad acting, all the cheap f/x, and all the questionable characterization.

Or you can just leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. A silly, live-action cartoon with a bunch of actors who seem to be having a good time with the whole thing. And you didn't even have to leave your house or pay to see it.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

valiantdude wrote:dude the a&a was so bad...so bad...why would you cheapen these properties so bad when first introducing them to the public?
Yeah, that got pretty corny. Still, it felt good to see the characters out of the comics and I felt like it was just some goofy fan fiction set to video. I understand what you're saying, though. The way I see it is this will reach two groups ... Valiant nerds who don't mind and are still looking for the real movies to come, and the Bat in the Sun crowd who are accustomed to (and enjoy) that style of storytelling.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

I can see why they're pulling it...it hurts the brand..
It makes valiant seem low budget... interesting first filmed valiant characters..there was not clear thinking involved on the go ahead on this..
whew..
when part of your companies brand is that you produce quality, and then you make this...it just doesn't make sense, it would've worked way better animated..then at least you could write it off..

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

The internet is filled with low-budget silly crap these days, and it can get millions of eyes on it despite that. It's a completely different audience, less discerning and easily distracted. I think if the comics are quality and the upcoming movies are great, then goofy stuff like this shouldn't hurt the product. To me, it was just fun and worth watching once.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

yeah for sure...it was like playing xo/ironman for the 1st time 20 yrs ago, it was cool to see xo off the page for the 1st time..
Honestly this should have been animated, it would have flowed way better,anime web series?

I really want to know how much it was to make this? 100-300k?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

valiantdude wrote:I really want to know how much it was to make this? 100-300k?
I'm thinking it had to be more than that. You can't put a dollar amount on that shot of Bloodshot in the cockpit of that fighter plane. That stuff is priceless!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

valiantdude wrote:yeah for sure...it was like playing xo/ironman for the 1st time 20 yrs ago, it was cool to see xo off the page for the 1st time..
Honestly this should have been animated, it would have flowed way better,anime web series?

I really want to know how much it was to make this? 100-300k?
You know, I still haven't played that X-O game (or the Armorines one). I should get around to that sometime.

I have no idea on the funding ... maybe Bat in the Sun is pretty involved in that if they get ad revenue from views. If that's the case then everybody (except DMG) gets burned if the series comes down.

An anime web series sounds frankly awesome!

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I hate to be "that guy," but it really does seem like you're trolling. Trying to get people to react.

That said, clearly you're in the minority (at least, amongst Valiant fans). I think we can all agree that it definitely has some problems, and definitely is exactly what I expected from Bat in the Sun, but it also has some high points.

I, for one, really, really liked the fight scenes, which is exactly what I expected. They got the guy that choreographed Luke Cage. He knows what the *SQUEE* he's doing. The physical acting was seriously top-notch, and I loved the way the characters' powers interacted.

Even so, what ended up being my favorite part was the little character bits: a couple lines of dialogue and some badass hero shots. I will never forget the first time I saw Aric pulled his sword out. They really put some work into the special effects there. You could even see the heat radiating off of it. Similarly, Armstrong just barely comprehending what Neville is trying to tell him over the phone, purposefully knocking out Archer, while making it look like an accident, and getting his head slammed into a door 30 times was classic Armstrong. Moments like that are what stuck out to me and made me realize that while the webseries is far from perfect, it was worth it just to see these characters in live action for a few minutes.

PS. The only actor I really despised was John Morrison (and even he pulled it together in the last episode), but I thought everyone else were totally competent CW-level actors that began to embody their characters better and better every episode.
PS2. I do wonder if DMG freaked out when they realized their money was going toward this. This actually may be exactly what got Dinesh canned. Man, wouldn't that be depressing? The guy that was a true believer in comics before movies, tried to pull off a movie, and it got him fired. This is all speculation, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's true.
PS3. I do get what you're saying about drawing in fans though. This was clearly just made for Valiant fans and Bat in the Sun fans. I really don't see any of my friends enjoying this. They'd probably laugh actually. And I will probably never introduce this to anyone who isn't already into Valiant, unless I can give them a whole speech about what to expect beforehand.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

kinggirlfriend wrote:It reminds a lot of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four movie. It's silly, cartooney, knowingly cheap, and not at all doing justice to the source material.
This... :?
And this... :cloud9:
Or you can just leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. A silly, live-action cartoon with a bunch of actors who seem to be having a good time with the whole thing. And you didn't even have to leave your house or pay to see it.
Trifecta... :thumb:
#StayValiant

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

I'm 50-50 with your point of view.

This is a micro-budget production. The actors were drawn in by the concept of the project and the fight scenes were decent.

One the other hand, none of these characters ring true to me and appear to be a little...underdeveloped. This comes down to the choice of writing style.

Also, the VFX was all over the place. Roku's hair and Bloodshot's healing were great pieces of CGI for a micro-budget production. Other elements (I'm looking at you airplane) were shoddy and took away from the production value of the project. Bat in the Sun did manage to produce good fight scenes, but that is what they were known for.

In a way though, with how much Dino cares about the brand and every aspect of the Valiant before leaving, I'm surprised that he allowed certain decisions to be made (American Ninjak, the lead character).

It was an enjoyable watch, but not a great intro to Valiant for the casual audience.
This is what happens when you try to work...

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

If the purpose of this web series was to draw in new investors (before DMG took control) by showing that Valiant characters could work on screen using a micro-budget. I believe it did just that successfully. Sure, it was not t.v. or big screen worthy. But, it wasn't supposed to be.

Taking this into consideration... I enjoyed it.

THEWGZK
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

As a long time Valiant fan being able to see my favorite characters on screen for the first was awesome. It was a great fun series. If you are unfamiliar with Bat in the Sun then I can see how the production value might be a validation factor. I feel that this series might have been a way to expose the Valiant brand, and universe, to the comic book masses. They chose a production team who has an enormous cult following with their super hero beat down series and posted the series to a heavily trafficked comic news site. It will be interesting to see if the sales numbers for Ninjak VS the Valiant U see an increase, over the average sales number, because of the web series. Might have been a beta test as it were to see how a movie/series themed comic would do in their line up.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

kinggirlfriend wrote:It reminds a lot of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four movie. It's silly, cartooney, knowingly cheap, and not at all doing justice to the source material.

I'm one of the weirdos that doesn't care for comic book movies. Sure, I see some of them but they don't do anything for me. So I really only watched this out of morbid curiosity. On one hand it's exactly what I thought it would be, on the other hand I didn't think it be so much fun. I could see kids really liking this, it's like a live action Saturday morning cartoon. In the best sense.

If this is why Dinesh got the boot I can understand why, but I don't agree with it.

Sure you can cut Roku's mugging, Gilad's corny one-liners of wisdom, Neville's slow dry scenes, X-O's homemade costume, all the bad acting, all the cheap f/x, and all the questionable characterization.

Dinesh got the boot because he was betrayed.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Id like to see you do any better with 600k or even a million. This was made by a long time valiant fan as a gift not some Valiantdude. Why do you feel you need to *SQUEE* all over this? Its fun and free Ya Id be upset if I paid to see it
Your sofar your the only one. Yes havd an opinion

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

sorry if I offended, but forums are about discussion, in this thread we are talking about a different perspective..
I was completely unfamiliar with bat in the Sun as a production company, and have no clue or history of what they do. So taking that into account, I came in watching a web series as if it were a TV show in a sense..
Did anyone watch that Kung Fury movie, it probably had about the same budget as the webseries.. it is only a half hour long, where the the webseries is like an hour -intros -credits.. Kung fury 632k for a 1/2 hour...vei webseries 1.2k for an hour makes sense..
It's one of those things where if you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all.
I would be super *SQUEE* if I knew a million real dollars or more went to this production, and it was my money..
It just seemed like they took the worst aspects of the vei series, and distilled them to make them 100 times more worse, I don't know.
But as a long-time Valiant fan, that would love to see these characters become successful, this Avenue is not the place.
If I want to to see a bunch of pro wrestlers I'll watch wrestling...
Imagine if you are trying to establish a brand in the live-action world, and this is your first foray, when you know you have many millions of dollars on the table with major movie studios, and it could potentially make movies that rival Marvel and DC..
You are working to build a live action brand so to speak, and this is what gets in people's face as something to establish that live action brand, it's an embarrassment..