JOE ILLIDGE Becomes VALIANT's Executive Editor

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
JOE ILLIDGE Becomes VALIANT's Executive Editor

Post by SuperMage »

https://www.newsarama.com/39415-joe-ill ... ditor.html

Another new hire! I like how he highlighted that Armor Hunters, the Valiant, and Harbinger Wars represent the best that Valiant has to offer. Adds fuel to my theory that we're going to see a return to an emphasis on the pillar characters. It also sounds like Warren isn't leaving immediately, and that he's going to work with Joe through the transition. As far as first impressions go, Joe makes a positive one.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: JOE ILLIDGE Becomes VALIANT's Executive Editor

Post by Keith »

Interesting that this story seemingly contradicts the news of Warren leaving Valiant. I wonder if the truth is somewhere in the middle... Illidge being groomed to ultimately replace Warren who will be leaving in 3 - 6 months, or something along those lines.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

He sounds like a good guy to have on Valiant's team. At least he seems to love the Valiant characters.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Keith wrote:Interesting that this story seemingly contradicts the news of Warren leaving Valiant. I wonder if the truth is somewhere in the middle... Illidge being groomed to ultimately replace Warren who will be leaving in 3 - 6 months, or something along those lines.
I believe this was written before Warren decided to move away. From the articles I've ready, he was hired and interviewed by many of these bloggers by Thursday, Warren decided to step down on Friday...
Moose

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Joe Illidge names new Exec Editor at VALIANT

Post by BugsySig »

https://www.cbr.com/joe-illidge-valiant ... ve-editor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
Re: Joe Illidge names new Exec Editor at VALIANT

Post by Jace »

This is exactly what I suspected when it was announced at C2E2 that his role at LionForge had been taking over by the LionForge Founders. Did I mention him in the Valiant Sunday podcast? Can't remember.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I like Joe, he’s done a phenomenal job with the Catalyst Prime line over at Lion Forge. He’s also real open to fans on social media, (Twitter) it’ll be interesting to see what he does with Valiant... :thumb:
#StayValiant

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

agent_graves wrote:
I like Joe, he’s done a phenomenal job with the Catalyst Prime line over at Lion Forge. He’s also real open to fans on social media, (Twitter) it’ll be interesting to see what he does with Valiant... :thumb:
This is awesome news.

Was reading the article on Bleeding Cool https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/09 ... ive-editor and Warren Simons stated: “Joe is a fantastic addition to the editorial staff and will help us continue to be one of the best publishers in comics today. I can’t wait until we announce some of the titles and projects we are working on together.”

My query is twofold and as follows:
1) Was he appointed before Warren Simons left?
2) If not, does anyone know where Warren Simons is going next? Could he become the general Valiant architect across the IP as opposed to solely in comics (a Geoff Johns/Kevin Feige)?
This is what happens when you try to work...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

This hire sounds good ... nice to see he's a fan, knows the books and Warren thinks he's a good choice.

Paul Nolan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Paul Nolan »

Things like this....Image

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Identical topics were merged... some posts may look weird in sequence, but that's from the separated topic timestamps.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote:Identical topics were merged... some posts may look weird in sequence, but that's from the separated topic timestamps.
Weird in sequence? Perhaps somewhat loop-like? :o :lol: :?

BugsySig
Joe Illidge names new Exec Editor at VALIANT

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:Identical topics were merged... some posts may look weird in sequence, but that's from the separated topic timestamps.
I was 1st darn it! That other thread should have been deleted!

Chiclo is right, this is down right communism! Greg, you pinko *SQUEE*! You won’t get away with this!

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

BugsySig wrote:

Chiclo is right, this is down right communism! Greg, you pinko *SQUEE*! You won’t get away with this!
Use your Delorean and go back in time so you can post first. Then you'll be not only the creator of this topic, you'll be the guy who wasted a trip back in time. :thumb:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Use your Delorean and go back in time so you can post first. Then you'll be not only the creator of this topic, you'll be the guy who wasted a trip back in time. :thumb:
Delorean? I’m sorry, I don’t speak Russian.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Excited to see where this goes.

But knowing nothing about HW2, this caught my eye: "...Harbinger Wars 2 is going to take science fiction in comics to a new level...". Sci Fi? Wasn't expecting that. Unless he was using the term loosely.

SuperMage

Post by SuperMage »

jmatt wrote:Excited to see where this goes.

But knowing nothing about HW2, this caught my eye: "...Harbinger Wars 2 is going to take science fiction in comics to a new level...". Sci Fi? Wasn't expecting that. Unless he was using the term loosely.
Valiant has been making it their purpose to try to attach each book to a specific genre. Britannia is a historical/mystery series. Matt Kindt's X-O Manowar is a straight up planetary romance story. Archer & Armstrong is at times a historical/conspiracy adventure series when written properly. H.A.R.D. Corps is military/science fiction. Savage is an adventure/lost world comic.Bloodshot is definitely in the action/adventure genre. The parallels between Predator, Terminator, and Mad Max in Jeff Lemire's run are a good example. Generation Zero tried to be a teen drama/mystery series. Dead Drop was a mistake.

To me, Harbinger is a science-fiction thriller. You've got hacktivists, a government conspiracy, terrorists, government/corporate experiments that give people psychic powers, etc.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Okay, so despite my somewhat gloomy post I just made in the Warren resignation thread, this news feels like a big positive step. Hope this guy can bring good things to the table!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I'm pleasantly surprised and confident that this is a step in the right direction. Although this was announced pretty much at the same time as Warren leaving. So does that means he will take over Warren's position, or they are still looking to fill the EIC role?
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Anyone read the Lion Forge stuff? They had some good talent attached so it will be interesting to see who Illidge brings to VEI.
Multum In Parvo

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The Dirt Gang wrote:Anyone read the Lion Forge stuff? They had some good talent attached so it will be interesting to see who Illidge brings to VEI.
I’ve found it to be very hit or miss. Good talent attached for sure, but only 2 or 3 of the series really seemed to offer anything new or interesting enough to keep me hooked. Noble and Superb for sure are good. Accell looked great but was a rehash if every teen superhero book I’ve ever read. Incidentals and Astonisher were a mess visually and story-wise. Now they’ve already cancelled Noble (to be resolicited later) and they’re moving Superb to their all ages line. I’m still hopeful for Illidge to be successful, and I like the hire, but I don’t know if Catalyst Prime is a good measure to use. Maybe with a bigger budget he can do even better.

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

The Dirt Gang wrote:Anyone read the Lion Forge stuff? They had some good talent attached so it will be interesting to see who Illidge brings to VEI.
It's interesting to note that he is specifically being given the title of executive editor. It could be a place-holder title until Warren leaves, at which point they would most likely appoint him as the new EIC.

I have seen this manouver pulled once before at a magazine publisher. A friend of mine was the EIC of said magazine & was let go. His replacement was named as Executive Editor, and was offered less pay for the job. The replacement was doing the exact same job as an EIC, but with the title technically different they didn't have to offer the same pay rate. It was done for budgetary reasons - one of many side effects of the print industry really struggling - at least in the magazine & newpaper branches.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SuperMage

Post by SuperMage »

http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-val ... -universe/

An interview Joe recently did for comicsbeat. A lot of interesting stuff in there. Thought this little tidbit was worth pointing out.
Well, here’s the thing, when you’re talking about diversity what you’re actually talking about is variety and Valiant has always had variety with its characters and actually with its creators. So what I’m looking to do is do what Valiant has always been doing. We’ve always helped nuture new voices, or relatively new voices. So what we can do as a company is maintain that philosophy and find new voices to be nurtured as well as allow the existing relationships with creators to flourish. We appreciate their loyalty. Sometimes creators have to move on different paths, but we went them to know we’re going to be here.
THE BEAT: Okay two questions just for me. I was looking over some stuff and remembering The Valiant which was so beautiful. Can’t we get Paolo Rivera to do more comics? He was just saying never does comics anymore.

ILLIDGE: He has an open door here to come back. The Valiant is one of my favorite storyline
The future output of Valiant will be determined by stories. Basically we’re talking about organic movement whether that’s organic growth whether that’s organic stabilization with some different voices. That will be revealed. It will be story and character facing. What’s most important is how do we grow this mythology; how do we take this mythology to the next stage. And that’s both a nerve wracking and exciting question to ask. I’m really blessed to have the trust of the people here, Fred Pierce and Warren who put his heart and soul into this. You know the entire company has really been very welcoming and I think there’s a level of trust.
So there you go. Joe has an open door policy. People can leave and come back whenever they please for whatever reason. They're still welcome back if things change. On top of that they're still looking for new homegrown talent. Sounds good for Elliot Rahl.

EDIT:
BugsySig wrote:

Dasvidaniya comrade. Now nothing can stop me from stealing the nuclear launch codes. :mad:

nwoslave
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

Ugh Joe illedge the cbr contributer that constantly bemoaned about how racist the comic industry was in every single piece? Less than thrilled with this hire.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

SuperMage wrote:Dasvidaniya comrade. Now nothing can stop me from stealing the nuclear launch codes. :mad:
:gossip: do svidaniya is two words. :gossip:

The spelling used here is the title of a film that is not a consistent transliteration with the Russian phrase.

Also, the Russian word for comrade is komloyskey.