Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons Resigns

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mero19
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: BWS Solar and A&A
Favorite character: Rai / A&A
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Shooter/Venditti
Re: Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons Resigns

Post by mero19 »

Change is going to happen. Like everyone else here that has loved everything VEI up to now ( except one mini series about people running around that shall not be named ), and fearful of the change in quality, we need to at least give them a chance. :rant: :rant: Actually you all can do whatever you want... but until i'm not happy with the product, Im gonna keep trucking. Oddly i used to come to this board for the fun and love of valiant, not for all the doom and gloom... In the past few days there has been plenty of hw2, shadowman , Q&W articles, Atom!'s promotion( how could this NOT get a post ) , few other promotions and hiring. But the Doom posts are on the site in minutes. I used to like coming to this site to revel in Valiant , laugh at the bad , communally enjoy the good. To be honest , I'm not feeling it right now. The books im still enjoying , reading all the doom and gloom here on this site.... not so much :? :rant: off Either way , viva la valiant , until i don't

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I’m super thankful for ALL Warren did for Valiant.

Honestly, and it can probably seem like “nanny-nanny-boo-booing”,
But right now I don’t care.....

My personal times with Warren will always be cherished.

At the poker game I ALWASY found myself with Warren outside, him smoking a cigar and and possibly a bit in his cups, just hanging out and talking.

We would talk about: being a dad, loving our kids and regretting the time NOT Spent with them, how much we loved our wives. The joy of loving each day.

We would talk Valiant and he would love to show me preview pages and things. He had so much PRIDE. He was so proud of what they were doing. But to be honest, the life topic talks always meant so much more.

Warren. A man among men.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

onearmedwampa3000
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

I was literally sitting in the Valiant HWII panel today at C2E2 listening to Matt Kindt talk when one of the Valiant artists that I'm friends with texted me and told me about Warren. It was a bit surreal and the irony was palpable. During the Q&A at the end everyone was asking garbage like "When are Bloodhound and the goat gonna meet?" Finally someone asked a real question: "How will the DMG buyout effect the publishing arm of Valiant going forward?" Fred, Atom, and the new guy from DMG were thankful that someone finally addressed the "elephant in the room". They didn't just dismiss or glaze over it. Fred talked about how supportive DMG has been in offering whatever funding they needed for publishing. The new guy (who is a DMG guy) really appreciated the question and was totally genuine in assuring the fans that he would not have come on board if he didn't believe in the books. And Atom, who is usually a jokester, was very sincere and talked about the relashionships at the company.

We also saw 2 scenes from Ninjak VS, and they announced the release date of April 21. The acting and humor was extremely wooden (especially Archer and Armstrong), but the action was pretty dynamic.

As for Warren, he did great. A big thanks to him. But this is the way it goes. It's happening. If you love the characters, buy the books.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:I was literally sitting in the Valiant HWII panel today at C2E2 listening to Matt Kindt talk when one of the Valiant artists that I'm friends with texted me and told me about Warren. It was a bit surreal and the irony was palpable. During the Q&A at the end everyone was asking garbage like "When are Bloodhound and the goat gonna meet?" Finally someone asked a real question: "How will the DMG buyout effect the publishing arm of Valiant going forward?" Fred, Atom, and the new guy from DMG were thankful that someone finally addressed the "elephant in the room". They didn't just dismiss or glaze over it. Fred talked about how supportive DMG has been in offering whatever funding they needed for publishing. The new guy (who is a DMG guy) really appreciated the question and was totally genuine in assuring the fans that he would not have come on board if he didn't believe in the books. And Atom, who is usually a jokester, was very sincere and talked about the relashionships at the company.

We also saw 2 scenes from Ninjak VS, and they announced the release date of April 21. The acting and humor was extremely wooden (especially Archer and Armstrong), but the action was pretty dynamic.

As for Warren, he did great. A big thanks to him. But this is the way it goes. It's happening. If you love the characters, buy the books.

Well, at least they are sticking to releasing Ninjak VS The Valiant Universe this month. That is a grain of good news.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:As for Warren, he did great. A big thanks to him.
This is it in a nutshell.

:clap:

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Let’s get some perspective here. Whilst Warren undoubtedly did a great job in bringing great talent to VEI (Venditti, Dysart, Larosa, Kindt etc) let’s not kid ourselves that he hasn’t also brought some duds too. Under his reign there’s been great books but also average and below par ones also, Shadowman (take your pick), Adventures of A&A, Gen Zero, Faith and the FF, Dead Drop and so on. With such a small publishing line we can’t afford to have inconsistent books being released.

In addition, let’s remember how many errors the books have consistently had, be it spelling errors or artistic errors. Again, with 6-8 books per month how hard can it be to check detail on books?

For me the key thing is who they bring in to replace Warren as that will indicate how serious they are about the publishing side. If it’s another Fabian Nicieza type then we’re in trouble and Acclaim 2.0 could be upon us. However, it could be someone with a fresh approach who can retain the Larosa’s and the Lemire’s etc whilst bringing in more A level talent and not the B and C level we sometimes get :?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:Welp. It was a good run, guys.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
Quite true. No matter who quits, who gets fired or who buys out what, I will always still have Harbinger 6.

Who knows - maybe these new people will make some good comics?

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons Resigns

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Any concerns I had for the wellbeing of Valiant's publishing arm has been completely assuaged for me at C2E2. Atom is staying, and his promotion is proof. And there has been mention of the heartfelt replies to the important question during Q&A after the HW2 panel. But get this: Valiant always has expensive (and prominently visible) display space at C2E2. But this year, they cordoned off a section to individually address fan concerns about the fate of the company. Now this is not, mind you, something that 99.99% of those in attendance at the con would need. In fact, this discussion space is somewhat an image liability for the casual comic fan. Two-thirds of the space is handsomely-displayed VEI books and merchandise, but this one-third has a couple of high chairs and tables that are there just for dedicated fans like us to air our fears or grievances. Of course it will double as a signature/sketch spot for Stephen Segovia briefly this afternoon, but the fact that Atom and Kevin have set up this space just "to talk" sort of blows my mind, and hints at just how much this new VEI/DMG will care about us dedicated fans equal to the previous VEI. I am going nowhere, and this company still has that special greatness, Warren or no.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

tell

Post by tell »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/07 ... -sullivan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

Eric Sullivan is a great businessman who I had the fortune of meeting at a work event a few years ago.

He is a massive professional, who in general likes to get involved in the projects he works in. By get involved, I mean that he works with people that he trusts to get the job done.

As much as I like him as a professional, and think that he has the business acumen to create a successful VEI, I am not sure who he knows and trusts to push Valiant forward.

I wish him luck and hope that he makes the most of VEI with his new hires.
This is what happens when you try to work...

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Was bound to happen given the other changes. That's just how the business world works.
I agree, once Dinesh left I figured it was only a matter of time. They obviously want a shake-up.

But I'm not doom and gloom. While I like Warren and he did a great job, it's not like he's the only guy out there that can do the job well.

The proof is in the product. I am content to see how things look moving forward.
I agree completely. I saw this as an inevitability when Dinesh left. Let's see what happens in VEI v2.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

jxm640 wrote:
Eric Sullivan is a great businessman who I had the fortune of meeting at a work event a few years ago.

He is a massive professional, who in general likes to get involved in the projects he works in. By get involved, I mean that he works with people that he trusts to get the job done.

As much as I like him as a professional, and think that he has the business acumen to create a successful VEI, I am not sure who he knows and trusts to push Valiant forward.

I wish him luck and hope that he makes the most of VEI with his new hires.
I don't normally post. Mostly lurk. But I feel have to comment on this. I'm sure Eric Sullivan is a nice person and a smart businessman but the history of Valiant (and comic books...and really all of entertainment) is filled with nice people who are smart businessman destroying comic book companies because they don't understand the business. Valiant doesn't need another businessman who is going to learn on the job and have to unlearn his MBA training so he can learn how to be a smart comic book businessman. Dinesh spent years learning the business, making contacts, building his team and his plan while everyone here was asking for new books right away. He didn't listen to the conventional wisdom, he focused on what he knew was a good plan (even if no one had ever tried it before) and he succeeded wildly. His Valiant, along with Warren, Hunter and the rest of the 2012 gang, is the most successful launch in decades. No question about it. Anyone saying that Warren has a mixed history of delivering good books is focused on one tree and not the forrest. The Valiant for instance is a book that's so good it would be a feather in the cap of any publisher and it's one we Valiant fans often don't even put in our top ten best VEI books. Any fan who thinks that after what those guys did it makes any sense to get rid of them because something better is going to come along is fooling themselves. All the signs since DMG took over are bad. They let go of the one person whose vision took Valiant from a dead universe to one of the most exciting and full of potential universes in the world. They had a first announcement that was a public relations disaster for the record books. They let their head of marketing and editor in chief walk out the door. They've also, by my count, lost editors Charlotte Greenbaum and Danny Khazem, marketing executives Josh Johns and Shanyce Lora and executives Peter Cuneo and Gavin Cuneo...that we know of so far. It seems they've also lost creators Eric Heisserer (who left what was about to be his biggest comic book opportunity the day he heard Dinesh was gone), Daniel Kibblesmith (who left a brand new hit ongoing), Trevor Hairsine (who is doing his first non Valiant work since Valiant started using him), David Baron and Ryan Winn (who are going to DC for at least one book with Mr. Hairsine and have tweeted that the Eternity/Divinity sequel that Dinesh teased is not happening but they would like it to) and just this week Lewis Larosa posted that he is done with X-O Manowar because he's moving to a new project...again, these are just the ones we know of so far. Yes, there have been promotions internally but they were announced (probably on purpose) right before Valiant told us Warren was leaving and they were of mostly junior staff. Yes, Harbinger Wars 2 is coming and looks great but Warren, Dinesh and Eric Heisserer worked on that with Matt Kindt and now three of them are gone. And where is the marketing for Harbinger Wars 2? Valiant has clearly pulled back on one of the things they are famous for. But perhaps the most telling sign is that no one who has left is talking. Dinesh, Warren, Hunter, Josh etc were all very active on social media and unlike past Valiant staff who left but continued to post about Valiant they have all decided to stay very quiet. I think Fred and Atom are great but you don't lose your three best players, six great utility players and win a championship again even if two great utility players stick around.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I feel trapped in a loop.

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

Luckily I'm only emotionally invested in VH1.

If DMG does good by the Valiant name, great. If not, well ... then I will await a rebirth.
"Dear Universe, you will deliver unto me a Bloodshot Platinum Error for under $1000!!!"

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

depluto wrote:
I feel trapped in a loop.
Me too.... :lol:
#StayValiant

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:I was literally sitting in the Valiant HWII panel today at C2E2 listening to Matt Kindt talk when one of the Valiant artists that I'm friends with texted me and told me about Warren. It was a bit surreal and the irony was palpable. During the Q&A at the end everyone was asking garbage like "When are Bloodhound and the goat gonna meet?" Finally someone asked a real question: "How will the DMG buyout effect the publishing arm of Valiant going forward?" Fred, Atom, and the new guy from DMG were thankful that someone finally addressed the "elephant in the room". They didn't just dismiss or glaze over it. Fred talked about how supportive DMG has been in offering whatever funding they needed for publishing. The new guy (who is a DMG guy) really appreciated the question and was totally genuine in assuring the fans that he would not have come on board if he didn't believe in the books. And Atom, who is usually a jokester, was very sincere and talked about the relashionships at the company.

Who is this DMG Guy you speak of? Does he have a name? Could you be referring to Mel Caylo? If so he isn't a DMG guy, he was hired by DMG to replace Hunter. Th reason I am pointing this out it is I am very curious to here or see a DMG executive speak publicly about Valiant. By this I mean someone who was with DMG before they acquired Valiant, might be able to get a sense f their plan. I feel like anyone they have brought in since the buyout is going to say positive things, because what else would they say? You just hired me so let me be honest even if that honesty is negative? Yeah, probably not going to happen.