NEW BRITANNIA

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
NEW BRITANNIA

Post by jaden_sai »

Newsarama
‏ @Newsarama
4m4 minutes ago

Valiant announces a new series, BRITANNIA: LOST EAGLES OF ROME by Peter Milligan and Robert Gill. Cover by Cary Nord, scheduled to launch in July 2018

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: NEW BRITANNIA

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

See folks, that's how you do it... JULY 2018. Not January-ish 2019! Very happy to see this return and that I only have a few months to get through to get there...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I still don't quite know what to make of Britannia minis except that I thoroughly enjoy them.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I'm pretty disappointed that Juan Jose Ryp isn't back for interiors. :? It's cool that Brittania is coming back, but Ryp was a large part of my snjoyment of the series. And why Robert Gill? I mean, he's not bad, but he ain't got s*** on Ryp.

Kind of feels like the same thing that happened when Gill replaced Raul Allen on Wrath.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I think it's great we're getting a third arc so quickly.

Hopefully we'll see more Savage soon.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

depluto wrote:I still don't quite know what to make of Britannia minis except that I thoroughly enjoy them.
Me too. Not sure of the books overall place in the Valiant universe, but I've enjoyed the books so far. Glad to see another series.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

:thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

FormerReader wrote:
depluto wrote:I still don't quite know what to make of Britannia minis except that I thoroughly enjoy them.
Me too. Not sure of the books overall place in the Valiant universe, but I've enjoyed the books so far. Glad to see another series.
It's kind of like WAR MOTHER, I found myself expecting some greater connection at the end. I'd be okay if they keep releasing these minis... and then have one amazing giant connection/event that finally pays it all off... I can't see either Timewalker dropping in to this tone, but Aram and Gilad should be available to say hi... right?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Yes! This great news! But I will miss Ryp. :(

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Glad to see ancillary titles are still in the mix after the DMG takeover. Ryp was a big draw for me. Hopefully, the Eagles are lost in Britannia.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Yes! This great news! But I will miss Ryp. :(
+1 :thumb:
#StayValiant

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

jmatt wrote:Glad to see ancillary titles are still in the mix after the DMG takeover. Ryp was a big draw for me. Hopefully, the Eagles are lost in Britannia.
:lol:

Hey, this might make my pull. Ryp not in, yeah, it is a big loss- nobody draws pure, savage carnage like that dude around these parts. From EW to Britannia, I have enjoyed a lot of hack and slash done by the gentleman.
This book was perfect for him.

I like Gill, but Britannia had that Ryp look and that was a big draw.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:See folks, that's how you do it... JULY 2018. Not January-ish 2019! Very happy to see this return and that I only have a few months to get through to get there...
Agreed! I like this.

Now where's the next SAVAGE arc?!

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

Valiant Comics' smash-hit Britannia returns in Lost Eagles in Rome this summer
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/valiant-co ... his-summer

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

ShadowTuga wrote:
jmatt wrote:Glad to see ancillary titles are still in the mix after the DMG takeover. Ryp was a big draw for me. Hopefully, the Eagles are lost in Britannia.
My original post was a bit snarkier but I backed off. But it's idiotic to continue to call this Britannia if it doesn't actually take place there.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

jmatt wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
My original post was a bit snarkier but I backed off. But it's idiotic to continue to call this Britannia if it doesn't actually take place there.
I was really imagining a pro football team and a southern rock outfit bumping into each other under Britannia's foggy weather.
But I will assume it has something to do with the Roman Empire (Eagle banner) being drawn to Britannia and get lost under its foggy weather.

Its the Python fan in me, can't help it.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

jmatt wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
I agree, but if they didn't continue to call it Brittania, no one would order it. The attention span of comics readers is not what it once was in days past.

Thanks to all for posting this, pretty cool to read an article about a comic on SyFy's website.

Looking forward to reading this series.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Maybe it was just a timing issue with Ryp - they have him doing a Ninja-K story arc right now plus he's been doing a number of individual issues on other titles. I guess they didn't want to schedule this series around his schedule?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

tarheelmarine wrote:
jmatt wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
I agree, but if they didn't continue to call it Brittania, no one would order it. The attention span of comics readers is not what it once was in days past.

Thanks to all for posting this, pretty cool to read an article about a comic on SyFy's website.

Looking forward to reading this series.
I tend to agree with jmatt's sentiment about the title. Maybe they could tweak it to "Antonius of Britannia", with it still listed primarily as Britannia in solicits or something. Kind of like Uncanny XMen over just XMen. That could have worked from the beginning...

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

VEI wrote:A BLOODSTAINED JUMPING-ON POINT from legendary comics master Peter Milligan and Harvey Award-nominated artist Robert Gill as “detectioner” Antonius Axius launches into an otherworldly mystery of monsters, magic, and conspiracy at the boundaries of human understanding…
Maybe it will tie into the Shadowman arc exploring the history of the loa...? :hm:
I think that would be a cool way to connect and intertwine Antonius into the VEI shared universe. I think it would also be good to maybe introduce some supernatural stuff that maybe could resurface in future Dr. Mirage stories.
***Support your local farmers!***

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

geocarr wrote:
VEI wrote:A BLOODSTAINED JUMPING-ON POINT from legendary comics master Peter Milligan and Harvey Award-nominated artist Robert Gill as “detectioner” Antonius Axius launches into an otherworldly mystery of monsters, magic, and conspiracy at the boundaries of human understanding…
Maybe it will tie into the Shadowman arc exploring the history of the loa...? :hm:
I think that would be a cool way to connect and intertwine Antonius into the VEI shared universe. I think it would also be good to maybe introduce some supernatural stuff that maybe could resurface in future Dr. Mirage stories.
Agreed, that would be cool! :thumb:

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

geocarr wrote:
Personally, I'd rather not see Milligan do anything in relation to Shadowman again. His work on Britannia is good; his work on Shadowman was ... not good. I don't know that there HAS to be a connection between Axius and the rest of the VEI universe for this title to remain interesting and good.

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I hope they leave it separate from the rest of the Valiant Universe too. I don't mind the Nergal and the Cuth being behind the magical happenings but I'd hate for it to go full Deadside with Loa and whatnot.

Milligan's DAYS OF STEEL mini was very good, IMO.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Zhuge1 wrote:
geocarr wrote:
Personally, I'd rather not see Milligan do anything in relation to Shadowman again. His work on Britannia is good; his work on Shadowman was ... not good. I don't know that there HAS to be a connection between Axius and the rest of the VEI universe for this title to remain interesting and good.
I also agree that there doesn't *have* to be a connection with other V U characters in order for this to be a good sereis - it stands very well on its own as is. But I am not opposed to seeing something tie in that we're familiar with, like geocarr's suggestion.

I think the cross over I'd like to see most would be with Gilad. The chances of Antonius encountering Gilad while 'investigating' very strange & supernatural occurrences in that era seems very likely and I don't think it would feel forced to have him involved.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:I think the cross over I'd like to see most would be with Gilad. The chances of Antonius encountering Gilad while 'investigating' very strange & supernatural occurrences in that era seems very likely and I don't think it would feel forced to have him involved.
I think they'd make a pretty good team for an arc or two.