Valiant Vice-President Hunter Gorinson Exits Publisher

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
Re: Valiant Vice-President Hunter Gorinson Exits Publisher

Post by wrunow »

Sorry to hear this, great guy! Hunter will be on to bigger and better things I'm sure, lot's of talent there.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

wrunow wrote:Sorry to hear this, great guy! Hunter will be on to bigger and better things I'm sure, lot's of talent there.
+1 for sure

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Part of me is pretty happy that I can't quite grasp just what has been Hunter's contribution--cause it's already been a bad day without more VEI-Doom&Gloom.

Does anyone here know much about Hunter's contributions?

And I'm with the Ferg--I'm staying positive until talent and quality of the books flee.

I'm not worried about Heisserer--he was a 'get'--but keep in mind his real money will come from film studios, he doesn't have to slum in the pay-per-page comic book world. Secret Weapons is absolutely fantastic, but it still lives in the shadow of the contributions of Dysart/Kindt/Lemire/Van Lente/Venditti --Lemire/Venditti must be enjoying that DC money right now...since i'm sure Lemire's scripts have been complete for a year now... he's already on issue 11 of The Terrifics according to his twitter.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:Part of me is pretty happy that I can't quite grasp just what has been Hunter's contribution--cause it's already been a bad day without more VEI-Doom&Gloom.

Does anyone here know much about Hunter's contributions?

And I'm with the Ferg--I'm staying positive until talent and quality of the books flee.

I'm not worried about Heisserer--he was a 'get'--but keep in mind his real money will come from film studios, he doesn't have to slum in the pay-per-page comic book world. Secret Weapons is absolutely fantastic, but it still lives in the shadow of the contributions of Dysart/Kindt/Lemire/Van Lente/Venditti --Lemire/Venditti must be enjoying that DC money right now...since i'm sure Lemire's scripts have been complete for a year now... he's already on issue 11 of The Terrifics according to his twitter.
:hm: I think it was Hunter who hooked me up - via hawkeyeps - with the Minimates figures. For that, the man has my eternal thanks! :D He was great with the fans, but like you, I have not much of a good grasp of what he did. My bad.

It sucks to see Venditti on DC, even though I like DC. Lemire was already a rock star when he came aboard, but V-Ditty's first ongoing comic was "our" X-O. It was a challenge for him and we all were applauding as he went, marathon style.
You guys remember how he handled Ninjak's debut? People were like "man, here we go - comics and stuff. Hope it doesn't sucks! :hope: ".
And what we got was a book that imho is now a classic- VEI's X-O #5.
He surprised us and he went on to grow at lightspeed as a writer. I miss the guy. To me, X-O is so much of his creation, that I have/had a hard time getting into Kindt's book, vol. 2, or whatever it is called. But Lemire kicked a lot of a**, also. I like everything he did for VEI. Bloodshot was/is the best when he's the one writing it.
I'm not a Heisserer super-fan (I just really liked Secret Weapons just like everyone else), so I don't see what is the big deal if he's not writing anything else. My 2 c€nts.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I spent time with Hunter, Warren and Dinesh a few times, and talked with Hunter at cons. Really sad the band is breaking up. Fingers crossed they can get back together one day.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I agree with the sentiment that Valiant should be more transparent on what fans can expect under the new structure. Dinesh was able to create a buzz about the books with his online presence but now there’s a void with only the Valiant twitter account churning out ‘blurbs’. Warren occasionally shows up but he doesn’t have the interaction skills with the fans. In terms of Valiant’s growth and the company still being in its relative infancy I think it would be a smart move to bring in a ‘personality ‘ to interact with the fans on social media.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I think it would be a smart move to bring in a ‘personality ‘ to interact with the fans on social media.
I thought they hired someone specifically for social media? Maybe a a few months ago?
***Support your local farmers!***

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

geocarr wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I think it would be a smart move to bring in a ‘personality ‘ to interact with the fans on social media.
I thought they hired someone specifically for social media? Maybe a a few months ago?
The fact we can’t name who that is says it all I guess? :? Unless it’s someone behind the scenes? I’m saying we need a new front man. :P

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

ShadowTuga wrote:It sucks to see Venditti on DC, even though I like DC. Lemire was already a rock star when he came aboard, but V-Ditty's first ongoing comic was "our" X-O. It was a challenge for him and we all were applauding as he went, marathon style.
You guys remember how he handled Ninjak's debut? People were like "man, here we go - comics and stuff. Hope it doesn't sucks! :hope: ".
And what we got was a book that imho is now a classic- VEI's X-O #5.
Totally agree. It's unfortunate that he's not working at Valiant anymore, but it's so cool to see him (and Rafa Sandoval) getting consistent, high profile work. It'd be one thing if he went to Marvel, but DC is killing it right now. He deserves to be on one of their top books.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hunter was a MASSIVE part of what Valiant did.

The OG group at Valiant was: Dino, Warren, Fred, Hunter, and Atom.

Dude is a great homie.

I'm sure he will be great at whatever he does next.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Elveen wrote:Hunter was a MASSIVE part of what Valiant did.

Dude is a great homie.

QFT

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

agent_graves wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Juki wrote:The article says Hunter Gorinson "elected to leave." For me, that begs the question "Why?" Was he not happy with the future of his personal position? Was he not happy with the direction DMG is planning on taking things? Was he not happy with the way Dinesh was treated and just figured he had to leave for a fresh start? Was he gonna be forced out as well?

I hope this does not become a trend causing more staff and talent to abandon ship.
I was thinking the same thing - hope this isn't the start of a domino effect.
IMO, Dinesh was the start.... :(
I think there was always the possibility that after Dinesh departed, other staff within the company, senior management included, would either be forced out or elect to leave of their own volition. I'm not in the least surprised to hear someone else is on the way out now, and I doubt it'll be the last.

I think it would be wise for us all to recognise the possibility that this time next year Valiant might not even be close to being the same Valiant that it is today, and to brace for that.

I think Agent Graves asks good questions as to the 'whys' of Gorinson's departure, and I wonder not whether any of his guesses are correct, but how many.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Elveen wrote:Hunter was a MASSIVE part of what Valiant did.

Dude is a great homie.

The simple fact is Valiant would not be where is is today without Hunter. His contributions from the marketing side and drumming up excitement were immeasurable. Plus he was "the" guy from a press perspective. He always had my back with press releases, upcoming announcements and the like. I am going to miss the hell out of that guy at Valiant. It is a big loss for DMG. Hunter is super-talented and I know he will land on his feet. Whatever company gets him it will be a big feather in their cap.