Bloodshot casts Axe

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Bloodshot casts Axe

Post by BugsySig »

https://www.newsarama.com/40571-bloodsh ... eport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says he’s the villain, but then shows an image of the VEI @xe. So could be a villain or a techno path working with Rising Spirit or even with Bloodshot himself.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
Re: Bloodshot casts Axe

Post by sonicdan »

I think that's just Newsarama adding the 1st pic they find without any context.
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

i got excited when this popped up on my apple news feed!!

here is an article from Variety
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/toby ... 202858855/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sonicdan

Post by sonicdan »

Article from The Wrap:
https://www.thewrap.com/toby-kebbell-vi ... bloodshot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

I like that the Variety article's synopsis on the Bloodshot character seems like the VEI version (which is good news IMO)
“Bloodshot,” first published in 1992, centers on a mortally wounded soldier with powers of regeneration and meta-morphing made possible through nano-machines in his bloodstream. “Bloodshot” was created by Kevin Van Hook, Don Perlin, and Bob Layton for Valiant. Over its comic-book run, “Bloodshot” totaled 110 issues with more than 7.5 million copies sold.
If Axe is the main villain ... then he must be more like the original version which I actually prefer
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

bygranddesign wrote:I like that the Variety article's synopsis on the Bloodshot character seems like the VEI version (which is good news IMO)

How does the synopsis sound more like the VEI version? I don't see how you can come to any conclusion from this article.

hailxo520
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan

Post by hailxo520 »

Is Ax a psiot in V1?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

hailxo520 wrote:Is Ax a psiot in V1?
Harbinger, not called a psiot, yes. He is one of the first ones that Pete pops in Harbinger and he ended up not being a good guy. He gets ahold of a lesser X-O armor and tried to take on Aric but Aric climbs out of his armor, fights him naked and makes Ax pee his pants. That more or less sums up VH1 Ax.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I could see them using Ax as VEI used him. Bloodshot with his nanities and Ax (or @x) as a hacker could really give this a different spin than other superhero movies out now.

Maybe this has been said before but really Bloodshot as super solider is a cross between Punisher and Captain America. Bloodshot's origin is in some ways a more modern take on Captain America. Captain America got power from good old fashion "pharmaceuticals" and Bloodshot's come from nano super computers.
Multum In Parvo

hailxo520

Post by hailxo520 »

Chiclo wrote:
Harbinger, not called a psiot, yes. He is one of the first ones that Pete pops in Harbinger and he ended up not being a good guy. He gets ahold of a lesser X-O armor and tried to take on Aric but Aric climbs out of his armor, fights him naked and makes Ax pee his pants. That more or less sums up VH1 Ax.
Sorry, I am not familiar with V1. What do you mean "Harbinger, not called a psiot?" Does it mean Ax is not a psiot but a Harbinger???

So psiot and Harbinger are not the same (in V1)?

SlyTrooper
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite artist: Paolo Rivera

Post by SlyTrooper »

I'm hoping this isn't the VH1 version purely because I haven't read any of the older stuff and will be more confused. Although this could motivate me to get reading so... :?

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

hailxo520 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Sorry, I am not familiar with V1. What do you mean "Harbinger, not called a psiot?" Does it mean Ax is not a psiot but a Harbinger???

Psiot was not a term used in VH1. Psiot was first used in Dysart's run on Harbinger. In VH1, they were only referred to as Harbingers. Harbinger & Psiot is sort of Valiant's version of a mutant.
Multum In Parvo

sonicdan

Post by sonicdan »

SlyTrooper wrote:I'm hoping this isn't the VH1 version purely because I haven't read any of the older stuff and will be more confused. Although this could motivate me to get reading so... :?
Except for the last couple issues of Bloodshot V1 you can pick up back issues pretty cheap. I've been re-reading them on Comixology Unlimited lately.
https://www.comixology.com/Bloodshot-19 ... eries/8160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hailxo520

Post by hailxo520 »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
hailxo520 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Psiot was not a term used in VH1. Psiot was first used in Dysart's run on Harbinger. In VH1, they were only referred to as Harbingers. Harbinger & Psiot is sort of Valiant's version of a mutant.
Thx a lot :high-five:

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

sonicdan wrote:
SlyTrooper wrote:I'm hoping this isn't the VH1 version purely because I haven't read any of the older stuff and will be more confused. Although this could motivate me to get reading so... :?
Except for the last couple issues of Bloodshot V1 you can pick up back issues pretty cheap. I've been re-reading them on Comixology Unlimited lately.
https://www.comixology.com/Bloodshot-19 ... eries/8160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most VH1 issues can be purchased fairly cheap, $1-$2 per issue. The only ones that are exceptions in any of the original VH1 comics are the pre-unity issues, and the last 1 or 2 issues of each run, as they were fairly low print. The only other exception I can think of is Eternal Warrior 4 because of Bloodshot's introduction, and Rai # 0. Otherwise, pretty much every issue post-Unity in VH1 is fairly inexpensive...

Which for that reason, if you believe the movies will lead to more and be successful, there are some key issues maybe worth picking up from VH1 while they are fairly cheaper that came post-Unity:

-Bloodshot 6 & 7: First appearance Ninjak. These go about $5-$8 a piece
-Shadowman 8: First appearance Master Darque. About $6-$10
-Harbinger 10: First HARD Corps. I forget, but it's fairly cheap, like $5-$10
-Harbinger 15: First Livewire. Like #10, a couple bucks...And honestly not sure if this one increases much or not, depends on if you consider this the 1st appearance of Livewire as she exists in VEI, or if Harbinger 3 in VEI is her first appearance, as they are very different characters aside from name and rudimentary ability
-Shadowman 16: First Dr Mirage, a couple bucks. Like Harbinger 15, I consider VEI Mirage 1st appearance as Shadowman 5. In fact, aside from codename of Mirage, the VEI one isn't the same at all...Different name, different ethnicity, different abilities...Basically different everything aside from husband is a "ghost" that she can see and talk with.
-Rai 0: Ungraded, you can probably get a decent copy around $10-$20
-Eternal Warrior 4: 1st Bloodshot, all over the place ungraded, like $25-$60 depending on seller. For a 9.8, be prepared to pay $200+ at this point
-Ninjak #1: First appearance Dr. Silk (he was actually first mentioned in Bloodshot 9, but this was the first time he actually appears). $5

Not sure if I missed any other key first appearances, but I would say these are the key post-Unity appearances

SlyTrooper
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite artist: Paolo Rivera

Post by SlyTrooper »

sonicdan wrote:
I tend to not read digital or single issues, so that's a bit of a problem. I plan on getting the Valiant Masters hardcover in the future, but unless they print an omnibus I likely won't read more than that. But hey, with the film coming up I could actually see that happening.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
hailxo520 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Beat me to it. :thumb:

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

Ax was one of my favorite VH1 villains. He was so ground level but shown to grow into a real threat in the future. I thought it was neat how he was able to enhance his Commando class armor to be larger, and how he becomes a cyborg and steals the Blood of Heroes in the future from Bloodshot. I always wish they would have explained more what he did with the blood, or shown him get hurt by XO or someone in the later issues causing him to replace parts of his body with machine.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

1st Among Equals wrote:Ax was one of my favorite VH1 villains. He was so ground level but shown to grow into a real threat in the future. I thought it was neat how he was able to enhance his Commando class armor to be larger, and how he becomes a cyborg and steals the Blood of Heroes in the future from Bloodshot. I always wish they would have explained more what he did with the blood, or shown him get hurt by XO or someone in the later issues causing him to replace parts of his body with machine.
I too wish we had got more details on things shown in Rai # 0 and actually see them come to pass...

In VEI, this could be easily done through the use of limited series or one shot books, but those were fairly unheard of VH1 where everything was on-going series with a tight continuity.

Likewise in VEI, there was a lot of stuff shown in Book of Death 1 that takes place between current time period and the 4001 AD Valiant era that would be awesome to see more on.

The biggest problem in both scenarios is the more you explore these items in one shots, limited books, etc, the more you lock yourself into a specific scenario that at some point has to happen, and creates a more constrictive universe where writers will not be able to deter too far away from a set scenario. There's a lot of risk for broken continuity. Book of Death handled this well though because in that story line, I read it as the events were not automatic or guaranteed to occur, but a possible outcome if Darque was not stopped. It means they don't have to overly explore that story since there's no guarantee it will ever happen.