Imperium #1 (1:40) vs Divinity #1 (1:40)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Which VEI Key Comic will hold the most market value in 9.8 condition 5 years from now?

Imperium #1 (Braithwaite 1:40)
10%
Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40)
90%

Total votes: 20

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Imperium #1 (1:40) vs Divinity #1 (1:40)

Post by DirtbagSailor »

FACT 1: There are LESS THAN 350 copies of Divinity #1 (1:40)

FACT 2: 16.2% of the estimated print run for Divinity #1 (1:40) has been CGC graded.
  • Universal Avg Grade: 9.72 (53 in Census)
    Signature Seires Avg Grade: 9.8 (2 in Census)
    Qualified Avg Grade: 9.8 (2 in Census)
FACT 3: Imperium #1 (1:40) has an unknown print run; likely 400 printed copies. Based on this estimated print run for Imperium #1 (1:40), 2% has been CGC graded.
  • Universal Avg Grade: 9.58 (9 in Census)
    Signature Seires Avg Grade: N/A (0 in Census)
    Qualified Avg Grade: N/A (0 in Census)
FACT 4: Divinity #1 (1:40) is the 1st appearance of Abram Adams (aka Divinity) who appears prominently on the cover.

FACT 5: Imperium #1 (1:40) is the 1st appearance of Mech Major (aka Sunlight on Snow).

FACT 6: Imperium #1 (1:40) appears significantly more prone to cover defects than Divinity #1 (1:40) due to the latter having thick cover stock (Prestige Format).
  • imperium #1 (1:40) has a 33% grade rate in 9.8 (highest in census)
    Divinity #1 (1:40) has a 75% grade rate in 9.8 or higher (plus 1 CGC 9.9; plus 1 CBCS 9.9)
FACT 7: Both variants sell for more than $400 in CGC 9.8.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Imperium #1 (1:40) vs Divinity #1 (1:40)

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Presumably it’ll come down to key first appearances? What does Imperium #1 have, from memory Sunlight on Snow is the main one, any other biggies?

I vote£ for Divinity based on him being more of a key character.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

while both are visually appealing, Divinity I has a first appearance of Abram Adams, a central cog to the book series and Valiant and has ventured between a few different books. Sunlight on Snow is important to this book, but that's about it
Moose

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Divinity will hold more value over time in my opinion. I have both books in high grade CGC. I would give away my divinity before I would the imperium. Imperium is probably my favorite VEI cover. Definitely top 2. I have a comic wall in my house and stare at it while I am getting ready for work. I always stare at the Imperium book the most.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I voted for Imperium even though I just sold my CBCS 9.8 copy. I do have a high grade raw copy at CGC as we speak. :hope: If Valiant ever makes it to the big screen, they don't have a lot of bad guys. Harada is the key bad guy in the Valiant Universe, so I think this book will be most coveted, along with Solar #3. Divinity is less likely to ever make it to the big screen, in my opinion.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I see Divinity as having a larger collector demand with a wider audience that is aware of its unique combination of significance and scarcity. There are (and likely will be) more 9.8 Divinity #1 (1:40)s than there are (or will be) 9.8 Imperium #1 (1:40)s to meet this demand.

I see Imperium #1 (1:40) as having a more niche collector appeal with a narrow, but very intense demand due to its unique combination of significance and scarcity coupled with its condition sensitive nature. For anyone collecting Imperium (such as myself) it is FAR more difficult to obtain a 9.8 copy of Imperium #1 (1:40) than it is Divinity #1 (1:40) despite the common belief that Divinity #1 (1:40) is more rare.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

DirtbagSailor wrote:FACT 1: There are LESS THAN 350 copies of Divinity #1 (1:40)

FACT 2: 16.2% of the estimated print run for Divinity #1 (1:40) has been CGC graded.
  • Universal Avg Grade: 9.72 (53 in Census)
    Signature Seires Avg Grade: 9.8 (2 in Census)
    Qualified Avg Grade: 9.8 (2 in Census)
FACT 3: Imperium #1 (1:40) has an unknown print run; likely 400 printed copies. Based on this estimated print run for Imperium #1 (1:40), 2% has been CGC graded.
  • Universal Avg Grade: 9.58 (9 in Census)
    Signature Seires Avg Grade: N/A (0 in Census)
    Qualified Avg Grade: N/A (0 in Census)
FACT 4: Divinity #1 (1:40) is the 1st appearance of Abram Adams (aka Divinity) who appears prominently on the cover.

FACT 5: Imperium #1 (1:40) is the 1st appearance of Mech Major (aka Sunlight on Snow).

FACT 6: Imperium #1 (1:40) appears significantly more prone to cover defects than Divinity #1 (1:40) due to the latter having thick cover stock (Prestige Format).
  • imperium #1 (1:40) has a 33% grade rate in 9.8 (highest in census)
    Divinity #1 (1:40) has a 75% grade rate in 9.8 or higher (plus 1 CGC 9.9; plus 1 CBCS 9.9)
FACT 7: Both variants sell for more than $400 in CGC 9.8.

Jesse...

There is something very important to add to this.

Someone here posted an interview with Dinesh from a con towards the end of 2017. What got MY attention was the question to Dinesh about variants and how that worked. For the 1st time I have ever seen, DINESH VERIFIED that VEI destroys (except a few copies) the variants that are not met by their requirements.

This is HUGE!

How many retailers really order 50 copies of something? Very few... I usually only see 2-5 copies on shelves.(if that) People wondering why it's so hard to find some of these variants... Well... There you go.

Man... I wish I could find the link in one of these threads... But I read it a few times to make sure I was reading it right.

So, Basically, just because 350-400 copies of variants were printed doesn't mean that there are that many now. I would love to have a talk with Dino about this.

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Ricomortis wrote:Someone here posted an interview with Dinesh from a con towards the end of 2017. What got MY attention was the question to Dinesh about variants and how that worked. For the 1st time I have ever seen, DINESH VERIFIED that VEI destroys (except a few copies) the variants that are not met by their requirements.

This is HUGE!
November 21, 2017 - John DeMayo posted the article where he talked to Dinesh: https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/11/21/ ... -universe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...[ratio variant] copies would be printed and available to stores who met the requirement. After the release, Diamond and Valiant would hold the excess copies to cover damages, mostly handled through Diamond but sometimes handled directly through Valiant in some cases. Once a few months have passed and no copies are needed for replacements, the remaining copies are destroyed minus a few, maybe a copy or two, which are kept vaulted by Valiant.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

I give Divinity 9.8 the slight edge in 5 years simply because I don't think there will be any movie (or any major media push) involving Sunlight on Snow or Divinity in that time. Any movies in the next 5 years (I am guessing) will just involve and build on core long established comic characters that were around during VH1 (I am counting the new Livewire in this group). However, I hope I am wrong and many newer VEI characters are brought to light early.

Long term, If the initial movies are flops... They stay about equal in statis since Divinity is the more major Character but Imperium CGC 9.8 is more rare. However, if the first movies are very successful and these VEl Characters are later developed for film...then the first appearance of the most popular movie Character wins out.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

My vote is Divinity simply because he stands a much greater chance of a film appearance than does the Imperium content.

And DMG has gotta be looking at all the hoopla surrounding Black Panther right now...

chadpdodge
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Valiant 2014/Acclaim 1999
Favorite character: Ninjak/Shadowman
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Cullen Bunn
Favorite artist: Ben Templesmith/Joseph Schmalk

Post by chadpdodge »

Imperium #1 1:40 is my vote

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Divinity got my vote. If the movies hit, but no Sunlight appearance, only Solar #3 gets a bump.
#StayValiant