May 2018 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
May 2018 Solicitations

Post by Keith »

https://www.newsarama.com/38713-valiant ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: May 2018 Solicitations

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Hmm, that's really disappointing. Only Q&W is tying into HW2? No Harbinger title proper?

Also I'll vent here for a sec .... :rant:

As much as I'm looking forward to HW2 I gotta say I've never been a fan of hero vs hero stories. I do wonder if Harada, Solomon, Alpha or any of the Imperium characters will make an appearance? RENEGADE #0 ended on a pretty big cliffhanger, but so far all the promo stuff we've seen from HW2 is all X-O vs Peter and Livewire vs Bloodshot. It just doesn't feel organic to the way that previous events played out. The story I want to see is what is Alpha doing next with the HARD Corps characters he has under his control. And what's Harada's next step. I really don't care about the psychic worm in Peter's brain, it's such a Matt Kindt macguffiny thing to drop in.

*end rant*

Looking forward to the June solicitations! Maybe Bloodshot at least will tie-in at that point. :?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Its garbage sorry for being a downer but this blows or sounds like it will. Wtf no harbinger renagades or anything tieing in thats whats garbage.
The armor hunters and hw1 flowed organically this feels forced for forced sakes. It was promised so its happening. No ducks are in a row so its a shooting gallery at the fair.
They better stick the landing. I speak for my self but lots is riding on this and if they *SQUEE* it up royally they are going to see people jump ship. :!: facepalm
I Miss the good old days.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Whilst I think it's great to see a Q&W tie-in I am very disappointed that we don't get a Harby monthly to coincide with this event. Hopefully something comes out of the June solicitations.

Also, interesting to read that Shadowman is only a 3 issue arc - hiatus or surprise HWII tie-in in June?

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I keep thinking HW2 is going to kick off some stuff. But if something substantial is actually occurring they can't really announce it... right? I know preorders with comics causes some spoilers... but with HW2 launching really at the end of May... it'd probably be june if Renegades or even Secret Weapons popped in... Just saying...

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Also, interesting to read that Shadowman is only a 3 issue arc - hiatus or surprise HWII tie-in in June?
I think there was an interview that mentioned them doing the Matt Kindt X-O thing, a bunch of shorter 3-issue arcs.

EDIT, Here it is:
In the wake of “FEAR OF THE DARK”’s blockbuster-level gauntlet of action and intrigue across issues #1-3, SHADOWMAN will then continue in 2018 and beyond as Andy Diggle forges ahead with a riveting, two-year roadmap that will redefine the boundaries of Valiant’s paranormal underworld…and that together will encompass the most ambitious and fearsome Shadowman tale ever told.

Diggle: I've plotted out the first two years as a series of short arcs, all building into one overarching story. I'm a structure freak, and one of the things I've loved about working at Valiant is they don't just allow, but insist on careful long-term story planning. That's a gift for a writer, knowing you won't have to wreck your story structure to make room for some sudden unplanned crossover. It's like having a safety net. You can sow seeds; set up story elements in the early issues that might not pay off until months or even years ahead - but it's all planned, it's all leading somewhere. Everything connects. That's what a shared universe should be. I love it.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:Also, interesting to read that Shadowman is only a 3 issue arc - hiatus or surprise HWII tie-in in June?
I think there was an interview that mentioned them doing the Matt Kindt X-O thing, a bunch of shorter 3-issue arcs.

EDIT, Here it is:
In the wake of “FEAR OF THE DARK”’s blockbuster-level gauntlet of action and intrigue across issues #1-3, SHADOWMAN will then continue in 2018 and beyond as Andy Diggle forges ahead with a riveting, two-year roadmap that will redefine the boundaries of Valiant’s paranormal underworld…and that together will encompass the most ambitious and fearsome Shadowman tale ever told.

Diggle: I've plotted out the first two years as a series of short arcs, all building into one overarching story. I'm a structure freak, and one of the things I've loved about working at Valiant is they don't just allow, but insist on careful long-term story planning. That's a gift for a writer, knowing you won't have to wreck your story structure to make room for some sudden unplanned crossover. It's like having a safety net. You can sow seeds; set up story elements in the early issues that might not pay off until months or even years ahead - but it's all planned, it's all leading somewhere. Everything connects. That's what a shared universe should be. I love it.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

HARBINGER WARS 2 #1 (of 4)
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by TOMÁS GIORELLO
Cover A by J.G. JONES
Cover B by MICO SUAYAN
Interlocking Variant by JUAN JOSÉ RYP
HW2 Icon Variant by FELIPE MASSAFERA
Brushed Metal Variant by LEWIS LAROSA
Blank Cover Also Available

And another Brushed Metal Variant! :!: This may put an end to my variant buying for good. :(

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

Man, we got some Negative Nancy's up in here!

I too am worried and annoyed that there aren't any other HW2 tie-ins, but I think there might be a silver-lining. HW2 #1 comes out on the last week of May. It's entirely possible that all of the fun tie-ins will come after issue 1. During Armor Hunters' first month, only X-O and Unity tied-in. It wasn't until July that the Harbinger and Bloodshot tie-ins began.

After all, both Bloodshot and Shadowman are finishing up arcs in May, The Coalition's last issue will come out in either June or July, and X-O is already sort of tying in. Maybe every series will get 2-issue arcs like Q&W. I think that would be neat. DC's Metal has been doing this perfectly. It's only tied into one issue per series, but touched many corners of the universe: Teen Titans, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Suicide Squad, Flash, Hal Jordan, and Justice League.

On the flip side, there are 8 books coming out in May! Granted, one of them is essentially a re-print, but still.
kinggirlfriend wrote:As much as I'm looking forward to HW2 I gotta say I've never been a fan of hero vs hero stories. I do wonder if Harada, Solomon, Alpha or any of the Imperium characters will make an appearance? RENEGADE #0 ended on a pretty big cliffhanger, but so far all the promo stuff we've seen from HW2 is all X-O vs Peter and Livewire vs Bloodshot. It just doesn't feel organic to the way that previous events played out. The story I want to see is what is Alpha doing next with the HARD Corps characters he has under his control. And what's Harada's next step. I really don't care about the psychic worm in Peter's brain, it's such a Matt Kindt macguffiny thing to drop in.
I've honestly blocked out the events of Renegade and HW2 #0 for the last month due to the all of the buyout drama and hype for HW2. Personally, I'm kind of a sucker for herovhero stories (can't wait for the JLvJLA arc coming up soon), but I will be really disappointed if Alpha, Solomon, Harada, and Palmer don't play a significant role. It's awesome that X-O, Ninjak, Bloodshot, and even Secret Weapons are playing a part, but they shouldn't have to overshadow everything that's been building up with the Renegades and Solomon.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

TheFerg714 wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:I do wonder if Harada, Solomon, Alpha or any of the Imperium characters will make an appearance? RENEGADE #0 ended on a pretty big cliffhanger... The story I want to see is what is Alpha doing next with the HARD Corps characters he has under his control. And what's Harada's next step.
...but I will be really disappointed if Alpha, Solomon, Harada, and Palmer don't play a significant role.
Agreed! I'd go as far to say that it would be bad writing to leave them out of a huge event like this.
***Support your local farmers!***

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

BLOODSHOT SALVATION #9
THE COMPLETE HARBINGER WARS 2 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE
NINJA-K #7
SHADOWMAN (2018) #3
X-O MANOWAR #15-#18 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE (NEW ARC! “BARBARIANS”)
#StayValiant

onearmedwampa3000
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

Harbinger Renegade was the most hated book on this forum that I've seen. Now its not where you want it, when you want it and there's more complaining. I'm just happy we still have Valiant comics. I'm afraid that won't last long.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:Harbinger Renegade was the most hated book on this forum that I've seen. Now its not where you want it, when you want it and there's more complaining. I'm just happy we still have Valiant comics. I'm afraid that won't last long.

I stopped reading VEI with Renegade and stopped reading the board around then; was it less well received/more hated than Dead Drop which was awful?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:Harbinger Renegade was the most hated book on this forum that I've seen. Now its not where you want it, when you want it and there's more complaining. I'm just happy we still have Valiant comics. I'm afraid that won't last long.

Regardless of whether anyone liked it or not, VEI made a conscious decision to go with Roberts' vision in the lead-up to HW2. It would be really lazy and stupid to abandon everything they put into that series at the eleventh hour, just because it wasn't the best received book in the world. Basically what I'm saying is that VEI made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

VEI made a decision and now must accept its consequences.

And honestly, imo, as bad as Renegade was, it still set up some very interesting concepts and characters like Solomon, the Massacre, Pete's return, HARD Corps de facto working for the government, Alpha, the Renegades v Solomon v HARD Corps conflict, and the Renegades' rounding up of young psiots.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

TheFerg714 wrote:

Regardless of whether anyone liked it or not, VEI made a conscious decision to go with Roberts' vision in the lead-up to HW2. It would be really lazy and stupid to abandon everything they put into that series at the eleventh hour, just because it wasn't the best received book in the world. Basically what I'm saying is that VEI made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

VEI made a decision and now must accept its consequences.

And honestly, imo, as bad as Renegade was, it still set up some very interesting concepts and characters like Solomon, the Massacre, Pete's return, HARD Corps de facto working for the government, Alpha, the Renegades v Solomon v HARD Corps conflict, and the Renegades' rounding up of young psiots.
I agree.

I hope Diggle's Shadowman approach is similar to Renegades HW2... they build on it... make it better by delivering on whatever it was starting to think about to sprinkle in set up to create some form of anticipation of what ever it was that was the focus of this or that issue.

But I would think VEI would be wise to rebrand Harbinger's ongoing if that comes out of HW2. A new #1! An Icons line for our Renegades!