New Creative Team Joins Valiant’s QUANTUM & WOODY

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
New Creative Team Joins Valiant’s QUANTUM & WOODY

Post by jaden_sai »

A World Without ‘KLANG’ As New Creative Team Joins Valiant’s QUANTUM & WOODY
https://www.newsarama.com/38588-a-world ... woody.html

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
Re: New Creative Team Joins Valiant’s QUANTUM & WOODY

Post by sonicdan »

Nice tidbit on HW2. Cool that it's going to affect them without being a mandatory chapter. Brings them in to the VU a bit more at least in premise of the story. Kind of reminds me of the original Chaos Effect in a way.
Rahal seems like an enthusiastic writer and fan of the characters. I don't have any complaints about his work even if it doesn't necessary blow me away.
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

This looks like it'll be a good deal of fun!
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Hmm alarm bells slightky ringing on this change. Not sure why Valiant launch with one team then switch so soon. Reminds of the previous series when Fowler left after 4 issues and the art dropped off a cliff. I’ve enjoyed Kibbkesmith’s first couplee of issues, he doesn’t try too hard to be funny. I know from twitter kibblesmith said his other tv commitments are the reason but I feel VEI should have tied him into a 12 issue run when he signed on.

As for the art change, I find Portella’s art to be bland and I do think it’s a good fit for the visual humour Q&W relies upon.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

The idea sounds neat but I agree it's questionable to switch writers so soon. I was just telling some folks on another board that recent Valiant has been more consistent than the earlier runs and hasn't switched writers midway through runs the way say BLOODSHOT and SHADOWMAN did.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

kinggirlfriend wrote:The idea sounds neat but I agree it's questionable to switch writers so soon. I was just telling some folks on another board that recent Valiant has been more consistent than the earlier runs and hasn't switched writers midway through runs the way say BLOODSHOT and SHADOWMAN did.
:hm:
Shadowman (seriously needed a kick in the a**) & Bloodshot (Dwayne Straczinskykovskylievsky did not care for the book besides the first 5 issues or so, IMHO) were the only books that changed writers from the first year. X-O did 50+, Dysart's Harbinger and FVL's A&A all went to 25+.
For 2013, Quantum & Woody and Eternal Warrior changed artists, not writers. In a case (Q&W) it was jarring to watch (them potato cars!!!! :lol: ) but the inconsistent tone of Gilad's first solo on VEI was Pak made, all by his damn self. It does feel like another writer came in midway and took a crap on the previous arc. To this day, I still have a bad taste in my mouth because of that series. Nothing mattered, when it was over.

Kinda respectful disagreement here. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Hmm alarm bells slightky ringing on this change. Not sure why Valiant launch with one team then switch so soon. Reminds of the previous series when Fowler left after 4 issues and the art dropped off a cliff. I’ve enjoyed Kibbkesmith’s first couplee of issues, he doesn’t try too hard to be funny. I know from twitter kibblesmith said his other tv commitments are the reason but I feel VEI should have tied him into a 12 issue run when he signed on.

As for the art change, I find Portella’s art to be bland and I do think it’s a good fit for the visual humour Q&W relies upon.
I actually feel this is a positive step from Valiant. I could easily have seen this title be cancelled (in Valiant speak 'go on hiatus') in years gone by only to then start up anew months down the track with a new number. I'm happy with it (provided the stories continue to be as good as the issues already published) :thumb:

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

ShadowTuga wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:The idea sounds neat but I agree it's questionable to switch writers so soon. I was just telling some folks on another board that recent Valiant has been more consistent than the earlier runs and hasn't switched writers midway through runs the way say BLOODSHOT and SHADOWMAN did.
:hm:
Shadowman (seriously needed a kick in the a**) & Bloodshot (Dwayne Straczinskykovskylievsky did not care for the book besides the first 5 issues or so, IMHO) were the only books that changed writers from the first year. X-O did 50+, Dysart's Harbinger and FVL's A&A all went to 25+.
For 2013, Quantum & Woody and Eternal Warrior changed artists, not writers. In a case (Q&W) it was jarring to watch (them potato cars!!!! :lol: ) but the inconsistent tone of Gilad's first solo on VEI was Pak made, all by his damn self. It does feel like another writer came in midway and took a crap on the previous arc. To this day, I still have a bad taste in my mouth because of that series. Nothing mattered, when it was over.

Kinda respectful disagreement here. :thumb:
I expect them to switch artists every arc, except for a handful of titles, that's Valiant's thing they do. I even expect them to switch up artists for flashbacks and whatnot. I even look forward to their choices of who does what.

Except for a small handful of times they haven't changed writers. Bloodshot, Shadowman, the last couple issues of Unity. It made each title feel like one person's vision. None of those three title got any better after the writer change, IMO. I did like the HARD Corps issues and the Harbinger stuff but Bloodshot felt like the a guest star in his own book. I thought the Duane Swierczynski issues were great!

I guess I thought they put that stuff behind them. Except for specials and annuals, each title for a while now has been the product of one writer.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

On Twitter, Daniel Kibblesmith basically just said that he's a full-time writer for The Tonight Show and therefore doesn't have much time on his hands. Hopefully that's the actual reason, and he didn't just get booted for a cheaper writer.

Regardless, I loved Escape from Gulag 396, really liked Bloodshot's Day Off, and was pleasantly surprised by Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd. I definitely want to see more from Rahal, so it's really nice to see him getting a full arc.

One thing I'm worried about is his sense of humor... Q&W can very easily drift into 'too silly' territory.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

TheFerg714 wrote:On Twitter, Daniel Kibblesmith basically just said that he's a full-time writer for The Tonight Show and therefore doesn't have much time on his hands. Hopefully that's the actual reason, and he didn't just get booted for a cheaper writer.

Regardless, I loved Escape from Gulag 396, really liked Bloodshot's Day Off, and was pleasantly surprised by Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd. I definitely want to see more from Rahal, so it's really nice to see him getting a full arc.

One thing I'm worried about is his sense of humor... Q&W can very easily drift into 'too silly' territory.
Agreed. What made the original (Priest & Bright) series work was that most of the comedy arose from the clash of two very different personalities. Ausmus's run felt like a gag book. I prefer character-based comedy.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.