Dmg boycott?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Dmg boycott?

Post by nonplayer »

Is this an actuel thing are people really going to boycott dmg.
I Miss the good old days.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
Re: Dmg boycott?

Post by Captain Craig »

I'd wager it's an initial emotional reaction to the extent they intend such a boycott to be real.

I'm firmly in the wait and see camp while being bummed about the recent news.
I need to see some books quality under the new regime before making decisions and that will be some months away if not fully into 2019.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Several things would have to happen for me to boycott. If the writers leave/complain or we start getting mini-series and such that don't connect to the universe or start retconning everything.

I don't think DMG is going to try to run Valiant into the ground. They might--but I don't think they plan to. And if we turn away, they don't need to care about appeasing us because they'll be targeting a new audience.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

This is ridiculous.

Yes, we all would prefer Dinesh remain in charge; however, that is simply not in the cards that have been dealt.

Dinesh built this universe, and the LAST thing we should do is decide to abandon Valiant.

What about all of the OTHER friends and staff at Valiant? The creative teams of writer, artists, inkers, colorists, letterers, and the sales team?

Are we also supposed to abandon them?

Be frustrated. Be angry. But give it time, and do not turn so damn fast.

We are Valiant Fans; some of us for 26+ years, spanning multiple owners.

Let's not be so fast to act out with raw emotion. Give it this some time and lets see how things play out...
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:This is ridiculous.

Yes, we all would prefer Dinesh remain in charge; however, that is simply not in the card that have been dealt.

Let's not be so fast to act out with raw emotion. Give it this some time and lets see how things play out...
QFT.

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

I'm waiting to hear what happened, and how Dinesh feels about it.

Candidly, if it was a strong-arm *SQUEE*-show and he's heartbroken and wants to burn VEI down, I'd do my part by cancelling all pulls.

Sure, that's an emotional response and maybe it'll pass.... but that's how I *feel* today. I just picked up four Valiant trades this morning and felt conflicted doing so. That sucks to have *any* negative emotions while shelling out hard earned money for comics I currently don't even have time to read.

Knowing Dinesh though, he'll take the high road and encourage all of us to continue to support these characters and the writers+artists creating their stories, if not the new CCO.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

jmatt wrote:

Yes, we all would prefer Dinesh remain in charge; however, that is simply not in the card that have been dealt.

QFT.
+1
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I don't think a boycott would be warranted. DMG should at least be given a chance. There's always the possibility the new management team will do a good job and/or possibly address some of the gripes people have had in the past (not enough titles per month; no reprints of deluxe editions that are out of stock; no traction on film/tv; etc.).

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

Yes, we all would prefer Dinesh remain in charge; however, that is simply not in the cards that have been dealt.

Dinesh built this universe, and the LAST thing we should do is decide to abandon Valiant.

What about all of the OTHER friends and staff at Valiant? The creative teams of writer, artists, inkers, colorists, letterers, and the sales team?

Are we also supposed to abandon them?

Be frustrated. Be angry. But give it time, and do not turn so damn fast.

We are Valiant Fans; some of us for 26+ years, spanning multiple owners.

Pretty much this. I've tried to be realistic about this. It's not the end of the world. It's not the end of Valiant. It's just the end of this era of Valiant. Deep down we all knew sooner or later Valiant would be bought out by a larger company. It happened sooner. Oh well. It's too soon to judge DMG/Valiant. It's literally only existed for a day.

We're getting movies, sooner, we're getting t.v. shows, sooner, and we're keeping the comics. The majority of the staff is staying on board, and there's no indication that any of the books will be cancelled. All of the current ongoings are all part of DMG's transmedia plans. If any thing we might be a new Harbinger ongoing published monthly because of this. Probably with Eric Heisserer as the writer. Let's try giving DMG a chance first. By boycotting Valiant, you're killing Dinesh's dream. His dream of Valiant characters becoming household names.
Eric Heisserer wrote:A year ago I began work on Secret Weapons -- a passion project I wouldn't have gotten to write were it not for Valiant Comics' Dinesh Shamdasani. He took a risk on me, and on a team of new characters. What must have sounded like an absurd idea soon became a vibrant work of art brimming with emotion thanks to the mad scientists: @allenraul & @carlotazanahori. Livewire and the kids lived and breathed. Seeing that first issue, it was a lightning bolt to my imagination. Suddenly I had a hundred stories to tell with these characters. But I never lost sight of the truth that Dinesh and editor Warren Simons took some crazy chances on the book and, by extension, me. I've worked with people who treat the job as a job. But these guys love what they do. With pride. It's hard to overstate how that attitude spreads to everyone working on books for them. Running into another Valiant creative was like making an instant friend. We all love that we get to live in that world. I'm not going anywhere with this, I'm just being publicly grateful for the people who sweat the details to make things better.
- January 27, 2018

I feel like he tweeted this for a reason. Everyone breathe. Look at the bigger picture. Be patient. It's too soon to do anything rash. We've had a day to process our emotions on this. And in another day we'll be reading new comics from Valiant. Because Valiant isn't going anywhere. A DMG boycott would be completely pointless, and benefit literally no one. Especially not us, and especially not Dinesh.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

myron wrote:
jmatt wrote:

QFT.
+1
+2 :cry: :censored:
#StayValiant

SuperMage
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:Is this an actuel thing are people really going to boycott dmg.
I don't know what it means but I hadn't heard anyone mention a boycott until you started a thread with that as the title. Are you encouraging such a thing? Because if not, it kinda seems like you are.

Know what I mean? I can't start a thread asking "Boycott the NFL?" without in some way making people think about boycotting the NFL.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:
I don't know what it means but I hadn't heard anyone mention a boycott until you started a thread with that as the title. Are you encouraging such a thing? Because if not, it kinda seems like you are.

Know what I mean? I can't start a thread asking "Boycott the NFL?" without in some way making people think about boycotting the NFL.
Well the nfl is *SQUEE* so lets boycott that for sure.

It was mentioned last night on the live youtube thing. But thanks for putting it out there that I was trying to start a riot.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

nonplayer wrote:
jmatt wrote:

It was mentioned last night on the live youtube thing. But thanks for putting it out there that I was trying to start a riot.
I got you covered, nonplayer. jmatt boycott on the way. See the appropriate thread.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

nonplayer wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I watched that last night. Emotionally heavy... :cry:
#StayValiant

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

agent_graves wrote:
nonplayer wrote:It was mentioned last night on the live youtube thing. But thanks for putting it out there that I was trying to start a riot.
I watched it too. It felt like an hour long eulogy for Dinesh. I hate this.
***Support your local farmers!***

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

geocarr wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
nonplayer wrote:It was mentioned last night on the live youtube thing. But thanks for putting it out there that I was trying to start a riot.
I watched it too. It felt like an hour long eulogy for Dinesh. I hate this.
I felt that way too.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I'm not boycotting, but like others have said, DMG cannot f*** up whatever comes after HW2. Any noise about retcons, creators leaving, or other higher-ups leaving, I'm out.