Fan Project for Dinesh?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Fan Project for Dinesh?

Post by FormerReader »

What does everyone think about doing a fan signed book for Dinesh? Maybe everyone signing an X-O #1 (the first VEI) book or something else significant. I would like to do something to show him our appreciation. He on two separate occasions went out of his way to hook me up. I've never met the guy, but he still took the time to help me out, while he was running a company.

Does anyone else have any stories/instances where Dinesh went out of his way for you?

Greg, what are your thoughts? Could we get a fan made project of some sort together for Dinesh? Is this a good idea?

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Re: Fan Project for Dinesh?

Post by GammaJosh »

Who are his favorite artists? Maybe we could commission a "thank you" portrait and then have it signed by fans?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Sure - the simplest would be grabbing some paper and writing him a thank you - compiling them into a bound book. From that basic idea, surely we could get more creative.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

He once had a care package sent to me, had a A&A Gold, Unity Red (the preview), bunch of posters and flyers, and the Bloodshot by Grampa Tee I happened to be wearing today. He was the CEO and had the time to have this stuff sent to Portugal. I mean, this is another level of kindness and just all-around great dude.

I'm all for a signed book or whatever you guys come up with. The guy really deserves a big THANKS from our community.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dino’s been getting a lot of love on Twitter from a lot of people in various areas of the industry. I bet some industrious board member could get something organized.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

greg wrote:Sure - the simplest would be grabbing some paper and writing him a thank you - compiling them into a bound book. From that basic idea, surely we could get more creative.
This is a fantastic idea Greg. Either way this project goes count me in.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

FormerReader wrote:What does everyone think about doing a fan signed book for Dinesh? Maybe everyone signing an X-O #1 (the first VEI) book or something else significant. I would like to do something to show him our appreciation. He on two separate occasions went out of his way to hook me up. I've never met the guy, but he still took the time to help me out, while he was running a company.

Does anyone else have any stories/instances where Dinesh went out of his way for you?

Greg, what are your thoughts? Could we get a fan made project of some sort together for Dinesh? Is this a good idea?

Dinesh has went out of his way for me to many times to count. Like I can't even make a list.

He is one of my very best friends.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

THEWGZK wrote:
greg wrote:Sure - the simplest would be grabbing some paper and writing him a thank you - compiling them into a bound book. From that basic idea, surely we could get more creative.
This is a fantastic idea Greg. Either way this project goes count me in.
+1

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Count me in too. I'm so sorry that I never got to meet Dino at a con or something.

I'm watching the youtube recording of a live stream about all this DMG stuff today, and they brought up the possibility of Dinesh starting up his own publishing venture and starting his own shared universe of comics. I thought that would be an awesome idea, and I'd totally give some Nerd Boss comics a try!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I'd love to pitch in for any sort of fan project you guys come up with.

I have two stories. One I'm super embarrassed about.

1) I don't know if he specifically did this, but when I first got into Valiant I sent them an email that basically was just me gushing about how good their comics were, thanking them for caring and trying, and mentioned that I wished I could get my friends to read Valiant. Shortly after, I received a huge box that contained the first trades for X-O, Harbinger, A&A, and Unity. I kept Unity for myself, but I gave my friends the other three. I'll never forget coming on here to tell you guys about it, and literally everyone was like, "Oh, yea, Valiant's cool like that. We're fully aware."

2) Last year I ended up with a copy of Valiant's FCBD issue a little earlier than it was supposed to be released. I assumed that BleedingCool were going to spoil the whole thing before it came out, like they always do, so I went ahead and posted the full breakdown on here.
Dinesh private messaged me and called me out for being an *SQUEE*, while also saying everything was chill as long as I took it down.
I obviously deleted it immediately, and then Dino went on to have a short conversation with me about the recent "Future of Valiant" announcements. It was ridiculously awesome of him to care about my opinions after what I'd done. I really wish I could have met the guy at a con...
Phoenix8008 wrote:I'm watching the youtube recording of a live stream about all this DMG stuff today, and they brought up the possibility of Dinesh starting up his own publishing venture and starting his own shared universe of comics. I thought that would be an awesome idea, and I'd totally give some Nerd Boss comics a try!
I would be so down for that! Although one has to wonder if he even wants to do that. He struck me as a Valiant fan first, and comics fan second. I don't really see him wanting to follow in the footsteps of Jim Shooter, when his entire goal was to acquire Valiant and make something of it. If he wanted to jump back into the comics game, I think he'd need to do something drastically different to make him and his hypothetical company as successful as Valiant has been.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

That's the way to go.

Anyone willing to receive the thank you notes?

/Magnus

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

This is a great idea. I think he would appreciate something like that.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

magnusr wrote:
That's the way to go.

Anyone willing to receive the thank you notes?

/Magnus
If this is idea we all agree on I would be happy to be responsible for collecting all the letters and getting them bound.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

GammaJosh wrote:Who are his favorite artists? Maybe we could commission a "thank you" portrait and then have it signed by fans?
We could commission a cover and have all of the pages signed by fans in the inside. This would allow people to write what they want to say without being worried about taking up too much space.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

FormerReader wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:Who are his favorite artists? Maybe we could commission a "thank you" portrait and then have it signed by fans?
We could commission a cover and have all of the pages signed by fans in the inside. This would allow people to write what they want to say without being worried about taking up too much space.
I like that idea. Maybe we could get Latham?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I have the hardcover copy of X-O Manowar #1.

I already messaged him asking if I could donate it over to VEI for display purposes.

I would like now to donate it to him.

If I could get his address. Anyone send me a way to contact him directly?

KB
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Phoenix8008 wrote: I'm watching the youtube recording of a live stream about all this DMG stuff today, and they brought up the possibility of Dinesh starting up his own publishing venture and starting his own shared universe of comics. I thought that would be an awesome idea, and I'd totally give some Nerd Boss comics a try!
Breaking ground as a total startup with all-new characters would be quite difficult (particularly given the limited readership that VEI has in the greater comics industry). While VEI did relatively well (and recent sales figures have been decent), they were still only tapping 1-2% of the total comic book market. I can't see spinning up a new universe working out all that well unless he gets other investors to aid in the startup which could result in the same exact thing happening again.

That said, there's a thread on the Marvel/DC/Indies board that points out that Dark Horse has now lost the rights to publish Conan comics (just a couple years after losing the Star Wars rights). What Dinesh did do with VEI was take a universe of established characters and slowly cultivate and grow it over a six year period in which he put together teams that told some great stories. Although he wouldn't have ownership, perhaps a logical attempt to get back in the saddle would be to approach Dark Horse about managing an imprint that rebooted that CGC universe.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

I think I read where X-O #6 was Dinesh's first valiant comic. Maybe we could get Bob Layton to do a tribute cover with DMG knocking Dinesh out the building? (Or flip who is punching whom, but I think the hero getting punched is very appropriate in this case.)

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

possumgrease wrote:I think I read where X-O #6 was Dinesh's first valiant comic. Maybe we could get Bob Layton to do a tribute cover with DMG knocking Dinesh out the building? (Or flip who is punching whom, but I think the hero getting punched is very appropriate in this case.)

That's a really good idea. I bet Bob would like that, considering his conflicting thoughts about the whole VEI thing to begin with.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The kids at schools would do this for me after my arachnolagy work shops.
I like this idea because it is easy for everyone to mail in to the adminastrator of the project.
May I sugest we do it on different covers of our favorite extra issue. Easy to bound and it would be comic sized when completed.

Is valiant entertaiment even Valiant entertainment anymore. I seebpeople posting the spring releases and its not the same. Maybe its time we call it dmg entertaiment because tjats what it is now in its new form .
*SQUEE* this sucks balls
I Miss the good old days.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

nonplayer wrote:
The kids at schools would do this for me after my arachnolagy work shops.
I like this idea because it is easy for everyone to mail in to the adminastrator of the project.
May I sugest we do it on different covers of our favorite extra issue. Easy to bound and it would be comic sized when completed.

Is valiant entertaiment even Valiant entertainment anymore. I seebpeople posting the spring releases and its not the same. Maybe its time we call it dmg entertaiment because tjats what it is now in its new form .
*SQUEE* this sucks balls
What kind of arachnology workshops?

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

cjv wrote: What kind of arachnology workshops?
Also, what are arachnology workshops?

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

possumgrease wrote:
Also further, why are arachnology workshops?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

possumgrease wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
Maybe Ill talk about it in a different thread or privatly as this one is for Dinesh and not my workshops.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
Maybe Ill talk about it in a different thread or privatly as this one is for Dinesh and not my workshops.
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1073525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;