Let’s quantify our views on the sale of Valiant

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Is the sale of Valiant to DMG a good thing?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23:51 pm

No! Worst....news....ever
13%
Yes! This is great news, roll on Valiant movies!
4%
No! This is Acclaim 2.0, and I’m out!!
13%
Yes! I loved Acclaim, let’s get the real Ninjak back! (The goofy kid)
No votes
No! DMG is not my Valiant, no Dinesh, no me!
7%
Yes! A Jim Shooter/Bob Layton combo can take over!
3%
Not fussed, I’m sticking with the books either way!
7%
Hmmm...not sure yet, need time to process!
39%
It’s too soon to do polls, I’m not participating!
14%

Total votes: 76

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Let’s quantify our views on the sale of Valiant

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Have your say on the big news...

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Let’s quantify our views on the sale of Valiant

Post by possumgrease »

It sucks.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I hope this isn't as bad as what happened with Acclaim, I wasn't a reader then (only since Bloodshot #1 (2012)) but have read plenty about how it ended. The DMG CEO's comments about not expanding the publishing line are very concerning as a reader heavily invested in the current crop of titles.

What's also interesting is that Jeff Lemire's twitter profile does not mention Bloodshot, a book he has worked on/planned issues for 4years...

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I went with Not Sure Yet, though I don’t know if that really captures my feelings on this. Just feel demoralized. I can’t imagine being done with the books, especially knowing that some have been already planned out for multi-year arcs, but right now I’m less inclined to purchase right away.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

I'm a half-full kind of guy. I'm sticking with the books either way.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

As always, I will stick with purchasing & reading the comics that I enjoy. I do not blind-buy anything from any publisher just because I'm a fan of a particular publisher anymore, and that includes Valiant - I stopped trying to purchase everything from them 'just because' a couple years ago now.

This DMG news simply makes me a little more wary of what will be published in the future by VEI. If the books are still good and continue to appeal to my tastes, I will still be here as a fan of 'the new stuff'.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:As always, I will stick with purchasing & reading the comics that I enjoy. I do not blind-buy anything from any publisher just because I'm a fan of a particular publisher anymore, and that includes Valiant - I stopped trying to purchase everything from them 'just because' a couple years ago now.

This DMG news simply makes me a little more wary of what will be published in the future by VEI. If the books are still good and continue to appeal to my tastes, I will still be here as a fan of 'the new stuff'.
I should also add that forcing Dinesh out does make me very angry and tempts me to drop the line on that grounds alone.

And also that I anticipate that a shift in the publishing agenda will come in time that will have an apparent slant in a more mass marketing direction that will likely not appeal to me.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

grendeljd wrote:
grendeljd wrote:As always, I will stick with purchasing & reading the comics that I enjoy. I do not blind-buy anything from any publisher just because I'm a fan of a particular publisher anymore, and that includes Valiant - I stopped trying to purchase everything from them 'just because' a couple years ago now.

I should also add that forcing Dinesh out does make me very angry and tempts me to drop the line on that grounds alone.

And also that I anticipate that a shift in the publishing agenda will come in time that will have an apparent slant in a more mass marketing direction that will likely not appeal to me.
makes me want to do a Dead Drop of the line.

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

I'll keep an open mind. I think it's unfortunate Dinesh was forced out, but unfortunately, that's the risk they took when they needed additional funding and partnered with DMG. There's been a lot of great stuff to come from VEI so far: Venditt's run on XO, particularly the first half; Divinity; Harbinger; etc.). There's also been some misfires: Dead Drop; Shadowman (especially the stuff from Milligan); the "Sword of the Wild" first arc of Eternal Warrior (doesn't seem to fit); etc. I suspect the DMG Valiant run will potentially be similar -- some good stuff, and some wrong turns. I'm hoping that, as with VEI, there will be more good than bad. I'm also hopeful that the additional funding behind DMG may help in some ways. For example, I know expanding publishing wasn't a focus, but perhaps they'll re-print some of the deluxe editions that have been out of stock. :?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:

+1 I’m watching for DMG’s next move closely, the first sign of Acclaim 2.0 and I’m out. Dinesh was the heart of the books and it felt like the books were in safe hands....but now.... facepalm

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Zhuge1 wrote:I'll keep an open mind. I think it's unfortunate Dinesh was forced out, but unfortunately, that's the risk they took when they needed additional funding and partnered with DMG. There's been a lot of great stuff to come from VEI so far: Venditt's run on XO, particularly the first half; Divinity; Harbinger; etc.). There's also been some misfires: Dead Drop; Shadowman (especially the stuff from Milligan); the "Sword of the Wild" first arc of Eternal Warrior (doesn't seem to fit); etc. I suspect the DMG Valiant run will potentially be similar -- some good stuff, and some wrong turns. I'm hoping that, as with VEI, there will be more good than bad. I'm also hopeful that the additional funding behind DMG may help in some ways. For example, I know expanding publishing wasn't a focus, but perhaps they'll re-print some of the deluxe editions that have been out of stock. :?
Was forced out. I had no idea they could do that. I was sure he worded to contract in a way that he can maintian full control of least the comics side. Heck i espected him to have a veto on the movie creative decisions.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:+1 I’m watching for DMG’s next move closely, the first sign of Acclaim 2.0 and I’m out. Dinesh was the heart of the books and it felt like the books were in safe hands....but now.... facepalm
I'm happily reading everything up until Harbinger Wars II is over, but after that, DMG has one chance to get it right.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:+1 I’m watching for DMG’s next move closely, the first sign of Acclaim 2.0 and I’m out. Dinesh was the heart of the books and it felt like the books were in safe hands....but now.... facepalm
I'm happily reading everything up until Harbinger Wars II is over, but after that, DMG has one chance to get it right.
I'm with you. One chance. Especially if they change the spines on the trades/hardcovers... (my VEI shelf is so pretty right now...)

It was a hostile takeover the way I see it. On one hand DMG sees the potential and that could give us things like the movies, but canning Dino is what makes me uncomfortable. If anything, they need to renegotiate a contract with him to retain our faith. But clearly they want to go another way.

But if the writers stay... I'd have a hard time walking away. For all Dino does, Venditti, Dysart, Kindt, Lemire are just as if not moreso responsible for what I've loved about VEI.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

not again

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Honestly, I hate it.. I’ve met Dinesh on more than one occasion, he’s signed most of my Gold books, just an all around good guy. I love these characters, so I’ll be sticking around, but this sh!t sucks... :censored:
#StayValiant

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

This blows goats.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

David_Cody
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I don't think we should view Dinesh staying on as a consultant to be overly negative. I have a friend whose wine distribution start-up got bought out and he stayed on a consultant. It was a very amicable agreement and he was able to help them quite a bit.

Lots of times the contract has stipulations that you won't start another similar business in x-amount of years.

Let's give it time and see where things go.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

David_Cody wrote:I don't think we should view Dinesh staying on as a consultant to be overly negative.
It was the tweet.
Last edited by possumgrease on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

where is the ice cream?
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I'll wait and see ... still a lot of good people over there. Smells kind of like Three Commas and Pied Piper.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

depluto wrote:Smells kind of like Three Commas and Pied Piper.
YES!!!!!

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

myron wrote:where is the ice cream?
There's no ice cream without Dinesh. Sorry.
***Support your local farmers!***

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

I'm just going to post a train of thought, feel free to ignore, I'm not going to make any grand insights...

I'm conflicted, I knew it couldn't last but I'm sad it's happened. I've known for a long time that monthly comic books is a dying business model. There is no profit to be made, every year there are more publishers pushing more titles to shrinking audiences, all while business costs keep going up. Collectors are their own creature, but they can't support an industry with 15 or so publishers putting out hundreds of books a month at an average price of what, $3.99? And nobody can compete with DC and Marvel who are (probably intentionally) flooding the market with insane numbers of books, making it impossible to find the little publishers amongst the crowded shelves. The whole Diamond and comic book shop business is terribly flawed and can't possibly last, so of course a publisher getting less than 1% is just biding time.

While it's easy to look at things through rose tinted glasses, I agree with people saying things have been downhill. I'd say VEI had 3 amazing years, somewhere after Book Of Death things just spiraled off into their own less-connected directions. The books were still good, but to me that something special was missing. There were more and more continuity and editing problems that we had to just ignore and the stories all stopped feeling like part of a larger story. I have continually been recommending the relaunch books to friends, but I don't hold anything from the last few years up to that same standard. I still read everything, but more because I'm personally invested. I don't mean to sound like some crybaby about continuity, I see a continuity vs storytelling debate occasionally, but to me they are the same, trying to ignore continuity is poor storytelling, strong storytelling is working within the in-story "reality" you have. It seems like it's been hype-train after hype-train for a few years, pushing some upcoming story then immediately switching gears for the next thing instead of capitalizing on the books (4001, Savage, etc..). I haven't had the feeling I got from Harbinger Wars and Armor Hunters since those events, those stories were perfect, and then there was aftermath, and consequences and follow through... why did this slip away? Then there is the shrinking publishing line, down to 6 books a month, all while pushing who knows how much money and time into Ninjak Vs... I think I've been slowly accepting for a while now that the clock was ticking on VEI.

I'm happy for Dinesh to have made such a good product that he really cared about, and to know he must have made a good sum of money if 57% of the company was valued at $110 million. I think it's likely that Dinesh was too idealistic, and maybe not a great CEO if you're looking to turn a profit. It worked great in our favor as far as quality books go, but probably bad for business. Even simple things like merch never really happened. I started reading at Planet Death and since then I've wanted to waste my money on Valiant non-book merch, and the only thing I've seen I liked was those pins from a few months ago, but they were too difficult to buy. The Valiant store is just a handful of shirts that are frankly ugly, a mug and a weird looking XO plushy. Why not some nice collectable action figures or something by now?

I like Dinesh's style, I'm here for comic books. I'm a fan of storytelling and a graphic medium, I don't care about movies or TV shows. He was a CEO for people like me, but his whole "when the time is right" / "when the story is right" attitude towards movies and things was obviously a financial misstep, I guess he thought they could make it happen before this contractual clause could be enacted, but he waited too long.

I'm positive that Valiant is over for me. I'm going to keep reading, but I know. The current good books will wain, I'll eventually lose interest, and the company itself will evolve into a IP mill, and probably hobble along for another 5+ years of declining quality until they find someone else to sell to. I don't see any realistic way for this to work out in the fans favor. I guess we'll get some movies, but I didn't want them in the first place, and I bet they kind of suck.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

geocarr wrote:
myron wrote:where is the ice cream?
There's no ice cream without Dinesh. Sorry.
No ice cream in my polls sorry, but I love the fact that some people click the ‘I’m not participating option’ :clap: :thumb:

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan

Post by cray_ws »

Acclaim...enough said :|