X-O Returns...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
X-O Returns...

Post by jaden_sai »

Valiant's 'X-O Manowar' #14 Brings an Exiled Hero Back to Earth
https://www.inverse.com/article/40234-v ... ign=buffer

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: X-O Returns...

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Fun, but it does look like it's the end of this book. Is that how you all see it?
Moose

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Fun, but it does look like it's the end of this book. Is that how you all see it?
Dinesh says no - https://twitter.com/jeremycoe/status/915351320835403776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way, I say enjoy it while it's here.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

I'm enjoying the current storyline, but I'll be glad to have him back on earth.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

jeremycoe wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Fun, but it does look like it's the end of this book. Is that how you all see it?
Dinesh says no - https://twitter.com/jeremycoe/status/915351320835403776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way, I say enjoy it while it's here.
God I hope not another reboot. And I sure hope they answer the age old question. What was the whole thing about with the torrent giving him their cosmic knowledge.
I Miss the good old days.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

YES!!!!

Finally

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

:oops: I thought this thread was about ordering, and free returns, for unsold copies facepalm .
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

WOW that art by Ariel Olivetti is amazing!! :-o :-o

Can't wait to find out why Aric left earth, .... and why he finally decided to return!

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Finally. Those guys at HQ must have read my mind. Actually looking forward to an X-O book. Haven't said that in 6 months.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I’ll be honest.

X-O was somewhat weak following Armor Hunters (until #47-50).

The 2017 series was quite good, and something very different and expansive that (in my opinion) was needed for continued character growth and series development. Returning to earth brings this all home, and reminds us again on Aric’s place in the normal Valiant Univere.

Every now and then it can be a good idea to shake it up a bit, and I think that Matt Kindt has done exactly that.

I’m exicited to see what is to come, and also, the future roles of those character that were introduced in X-O Manowar (2017) as they (if they) become part of the larger Valiant Universe.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I’ll be honest.

The 2017 series was quite good, and something very different and expansive that (in my opinion) was needed for continued character growth and series development. Returning to earth brings this all home, and reminds us again on Aric’s place in the normal Valiant Univere.

Every now and then it can be a good idea to shake it up a bit, and I think that Matt Kindt has done exactly that.

I’m exicited to see what is to come, and also, the future roles of those character that were introduced in X-O Manowar (2017) as they (if they) become part of the larger Valiant Universe.

Agreed on all points!
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Spot on assessment by DBS.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

I’m about 6 issues behind on the new series, but the interview seems to confirm my suspicions that his wife merged with the armor for some as yet unknown reason.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

possumgrease wrote:Spot on assessment by DBS.
+3

I'd began advocating for a new writer somewhere in the middle of Dead Hand. It's not that is was bad, just that it wasn't great. And the flagship title should be great.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I really really love #0 and the Annual. Those little flashback tales of young Aric are some of my favorite X-O bits. Eternal Warrior does that too, like the Prelude to Labyrinth and Days of Steel. I'd read a series of either character set in similar time periods.

Armorines is just ok.

Dead Hand has some cool ideas it just feels a bit rushed and can't quite match the greatness of Armor Hunters. The story is more epic yet doesn't feel like it is.

The Wedding issue is nice.

I quite like Exodus. It feels like the series gets back on track here, and stays focused from this point to the end. The Anniversary and Trill issues are both great origin stories and the focus on the Vine and their journey just feels like a natural progression from the pre-Armor Hunter issues. And the art is phenomenal here, Cafu, Robert Gill, Francis Portela, Clayton Henry, Rafa Sandoval!

The new series hasn't gripped me the same way as Vendetti's. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and the artwork is top notch but there's something about it that feels a little hollow.

But I agree, it's good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while to see what happens.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Wow, that interior page art is exceptionally good!!

Personally, I'll be glad to see him return to earth again. I appreciate what Matt was trying to accomplish in this story (I do think having stories with Aric elsewhere in the cosmos/universe is a good idea, and I also generally liked the introduction of a host of new characters & alien worlds as we've seen). But it hasn't been a really compelling 'next chapter' in Aric's life that I was overly interested in reading about thus far. I have just been waiting throughout the length of this storyline for the part where we get to hear what led to it, and where all the other characters from his book went to in the meantime while he was away.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Looking forward to Aric's return to Earth, and I'm very glad to hear that the series isn't ending there. I'd love to see it continue to at least 50 issues as well. Even better would be if VEI was willing to let the series continue even if Kindt wrapped up his story and another author took over the series without a reboot. As long as the continued story was up to snuff quality-wise and not only continuing for the sake of continuing.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I hope that VEI uses the characters and planets introduced in this 2017 series in future books and stories across the line so that 5-10 years from now the cohesiveness and interconnectedness is truly there and can be "felt".
***Support your local farmers!***

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The big plot point is how the past series ended with Aric receiving eons and countless civilizations worth of knowledge from the Torment.
Did that have any affect on Aric, was it just a means to an end rhe last series? will we find out what that plot point ment for our hero. I'm amazed none of you are talking about it. It's the same as God coming down and saying hey greg I'm going to tell you everything there has ever been to know. Then we jump way in the future and nothing has changed he's still running this group and hasent said peep or changed at all.
I am looking forward to seein Aric go back to earth but everything is still hanging from last year.
I suspect it won't be explained glossed over at best with no payout. Hope I'm wrong.
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

sonicdan wrote:

Agreed on all points!
Agreed on all points too.

I didn’t like to Torrent giving him all that knowledge, think it ‘over powers’ XO’s skill set which he doesn’t need. Some of Valiant characters are over powered as it is...eg you can behead Bloodshot and he’s still good to go, Armstrong seems unkillable and Archer can access any skill set he wants (thanks to FVL for the last two facepalm ).

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

nonplayer wrote:The big plot point is how the past series ended with Aric receiving eons and countless civilizations worth of knowledge from the Torment.
Did that have any affect on Aric, was it just a means to an end rhe last series? will we find out what that plot point ment for our hero. I'm amazed none of you are talking about it. It's the same as God coming down and saying hey greg I'm going to tell you everything there has ever been to know. Then we jump way in the future and nothing has changed he's still running this group and hasent said peep or changed at all.
I am looking forward to seein Aric go back to earth but everything is still hanging from last year.
I suspect it won't be explained glossed over at best with no payout. Hope I'm wrong.
You're right. We SHOULD be expecting to hear more about this. Truthfully, I had kinda forgotten about it, and I thank you for reminding me. The situation with Aric getting all that knowledge reminds me of an old Stargate SG1 episode. Col. Oneil got bunches of alien info downloaded into his brain and it slowly started messing him up. He eventually used the implanted knowledge to get somewhere he wouldn't have been able to normally, in order to get help from some other aliens who removed the extra knowledge that his human brain wasn't capable of dealing with. So he went back to normal mentally. Maybe something similar happened in between the two series. Or maybe the armor itself siphoned off all the knowledge away from Aric, and that's part of why he's *SQUEE* at it (and why it's talking in first person now)?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

If we want to theorize about The Torment knowledge, we might assume it includes knowledge of time arcs - which are naturally-occurring wormholes to the past and future. Seems like Aric's desire to go back to 400AD would be a strong one, so the question "where has Aric been?" could easily be less important than "when has Aric been?"

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

I hope he will get back to space after a short stint on Earth.

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

greg wrote:If we want to theorize about The Torment knowledge, we might assume it includes knowledge of time arcs - which are naturally-occurring wormholes to the past and future. Seems like Aric's desire to go back to 400AD would be a strong one, so the question "where has Aric been?" could easily be less important than "when has Aric been?"
That is an awesome line of thinking Greg.

However, it also assumes that Venditti’s creative vision lined up with Kindt’s creative vision, and that the Torment data dump plot point did not get overlooked/forgotten in the transition.

IF my mind (for example) suddenly acquired all the information of the known universe (to include time travel) it is a safe bet that I would not be overly concerned with simple skirmishes between waring political factions on a distant planet.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
greg wrote:If we want to theorize about The Torment knowledge, we might assume it includes knowledge of time arcs - which are naturally-occurring wormholes to the past and future. Seems like Aric's desire to go back to 400AD would be a strong one, so the question "where has Aric been?" could easily be less important than "when has Aric been?"
That is an awesome line of thinking Greg.

However, it also assumes that Venditti’s creative vision lined up with Kindt’s creative vision, and that the Torment data dump plot point did not get overlooked/forgotten in the transition.

IF my mind (for example) suddenly acquired all the information of the known universe (to include time travel) it is a safe bet that I would not be overly concerned with simple skirmishes between warring political factions on a distant planet.
Or would you...? :poke:
Possibly because you understand the interconnectedness of everything and you're trying to impact and influence a sequence of events you have foreknowledge of.
Deep. 8-)
***Support your local farmers!***