SHADOWMAN 2018

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
SHADOWMAN 2018

Post by kinggirlfriend »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/12 ... arch-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
SHADOWMAN 2018

Post by AnarchoMambo »

That looks so awesome. To me, the lettering appears suited to an art style like that of Greg Smallwood, or Mike Allred. And it contains the classic 90’s logo, to catch the eye of readers fond of that era, while simultaneously emphasizing a fresh start from the 2012 version. I cannot wait for more news.
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
SHADOWMAN 2018

Post by BugsySig »

Honestly, they’ve royally *SQUEE* up Shadowman since 2012. More-so than any other VH1 property. It may be time to wipe the slate clean and move on from the Jack Boniface we’ve seen thus far to a new Shadowman.

Hope to see more street level horror noir stuff in this iteration. Perhaps the baseball bat wielding, “Good-evening” Shadowman that’s been teased here and there since the VEI launch?
Last edited by BugsySig on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:26:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: SHADOWMAN 2018

Post by agent_graves »

Here we go... :clap:
#StayValiant

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Cant wait for the official solicitation of this...been a long time coming.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:. Hope to see more street level horror noir stuff in this iteration. Perhaps the baseball bat wielding, “Good-evening” Shadowman that’s been teased here and there since the VEI launch?
+1 to all that!

Exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see from a new Shadowman book. And I'm partially in agreement with you about Jack Boniface. I'd actually hate to see him go, but they really have made it very difficult for him to find any worthwhile redemption.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:. Hope to see more street level horror noir stuff in this iteration. Perhaps the baseball bat wielding, “Good-evening” Shadowman that’s been teased here and there since the VEI launch?
+1 to all that!

Exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see from a new Shadowman book. And I'm partially in agreement with you about Jack Boniface. I'd actually hate to see him go, but they really have made it very difficult for him to find any worthwhile redemption.
Could Jack stay as 'The Magpie' with a new Shadowman introduced for the ongoing? I wouldn't mind that...

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Hoping that they bring back a fresh Shadowman. With the exception of the one-shot with the rappers, Shadowman has basically sucked for months on end.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

BugsySig wrote:Honestly, they’ve royally *SQUEE* up Shadowman since 2012. More-so than any other VH1 property. It may be time to wipe the slate clean and move on from the Jack Boniface we’ve seen thus far to a new Shadowman.

Hope to see more street level horror noir stuff in this iteration. Perhaps the baseball bat wielding, “Good-evening” Shadowman that’s been teased here and there since the VEI launch?
No to moving on from Jack Boniface. Yes to more street level horror.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
+1 to all that!

Could Jack stay as 'The Magpie' with a new Shadowman introduced for the ongoing? I wouldn't mind that...
:hm:

Gotta say, I like the Magpie aspects added to the mythos of Shadowman quite a bit & wouldn't want to see that entirely chucked out either. It's all the brutally weak character choices he has made along the way that is tough to get past. Some of it I well understand, as a byproduct of killing his father, which is something he should struggle with immensely. I think it would take a very skilled character writer to pluck him deftly out of the black hole he is still currently mired in.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

grendeljd wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
+1 to all that!

:hm:

Gotta say, I like the Magpie aspects added to the mythos of Shadowman quite a bit & wouldn't want to see that entirely chucked out either. It's all the brutally weak character choices he has made along the way that is tough to get past. Some of it I well understand, as a byproduct of killing his father, which is something he should struggle with immensely. I think it would take a very skilled character writer to pluck him deftly out of the black hole he is still currently mired in.
+1 :hope:
#StayValiant

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Maybe this Boniface shouldn't have redemption.

In most ways, John Constantine is a villain, but one that is often turned to because of what he can do that other's can't. But he's haunted by his decisions, too. VEI could use that kind of character.

Personally, all the bad comments on 2012 Shadowman kept me from checking out VEI earlier (He was all that original interested me), and when I finally read it, I found a lot to like. Maybe it was the lowered expectations. It's not the original Boniface, but I like that things have actually happened to his character. And I like seeing a character with temper and dark tendencies that has to try to control them. I don't see much inner conflict in the other VEI characters.

Right now, the announcement of who the team is, is probably my most anticipated Valiant event...(I just joined the cult last spring...)

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:...and when I finally read it, I found a lot to like. Maybe it was the lowered expectations. It's not the original Boniface, but I like that things have actually happened to his character. And I like seeing a character with temper and dark tendencies that has to try to control them.
I'm with you, I liked most of it. It had some gaffes but overall I seemed to like it more than most on the board.

The book needs to return to a form where Darkside and voodoo are a backdrop to Shadowman's adventures on the street, in the here and now.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:...and when I finally read it, I found a lot to like. Maybe it was the lowered expectations. It's not the original Boniface, but I like that things have actually happened to his character. And I like seeing a character with temper and dark tendencies that has to try to control them.
I'm with you, I liked most of it. It had some gaffes but overall I seemed to like it more than most on the board.

The book needs to return to a form where Darkside and voodoo are a backdrop to Shadowman's adventures on the street, in the here and now.
I'm generally in agreement with you guys too - I did really enjoy a lot of the stories we got. Especially loved the Jordan/Zircher issues the most, and issues 0 & 10.

But I found that when they let Peter Milligan have a go at the character, it felt like a new direction that was forced & ret-conned in a ham-fisted manner. It seemed to disrespect what was established before it. Definitely some cool elements & ideas (liked the expanded concepts of the loa's), just poorly handled.

And that last 3 issue mini series had weak artwork in addition to the ultimate beginning of those tough character actions that are hard to come back from.

But again, heres hoping for a solid run that can address some of those issues while also bringing back something familiar that we all love about the character. I'm not against keeping Jack Boniface around either!

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Official news:

https://www.cbr.com/valiant-shadowman-a ... -relaunch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy Diggle and Stephen Segovia... sounds good there!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Yes! Finally! We finally know.

Segovia's cool. Diggle too. Can't wait to see what they have planned!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

CBR wrote:The first issue will also feature the publisher’s first-ever glow in the dark variant cover.
Hopefully this works out better than the announced glow in the dark covers for Ninjak.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I was willing to bet money on familiar names. This is cool.

Diggle 'rebooted' Swamp Thing with some great ideas that 'made good of something bad'. Which is what most have been asking for post-Milligan. He's also had an decent run on Hellblazer (right before Milligan). I don't really recall it, but I know it was better than anything since John Constantine got sucked into the main DC line.

Looks like I've got a new artist to enjoy, Segovia's work looks great.

Gonna go home and dig out that Bad Seed trade tonight. Come on March.

Manaf82
Valiant fan since: 2010
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Manaf82 »

Keith wrote:Official news:

https://www.cbr.com/valiant-shadowman-a ... -relaunch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy Diggle?? Yay?

I mean the man is not bad,but always kinda thought he was average...I was kinda expecting Jeff Lemire...Please don't let him be another Rafaer Roberts[LOUDLY CRYING FACE][LOUDLY CRYING FACE][LOUDLY CRYING FACE]..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel my "SQUEEING SQUEE"

jeremycoe
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Manaf82 wrote:

Andy Diggle?? Yay?

I mean the man is not bad,but always kinda thought he was average...I was kinda expecting Jeff Lemire...Please don't let him be another Rafaer Roberts[LOUDLY CRYING FACE][LOUDLY CRYING FACE][LOUDLY CRYING FACE]..
I'm happy it's someone new and not Lemire. I would have been happy with Lemire or Kindt as well, but I think it's good Valiant got someone they haven't worked with before who's also a known name.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Looks like the 1:250 will be the Glow-in-the-Dark version mentioned in this write-up. Straight from Dinesh's mouth (via Twitter)
Moose

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I like what I see online of Segovia's art. Definitely hoping Diggle can resurrect the mess that is Shadowman without ignoring the chapters that Jordan and Milligan wrote.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dig the “new” throwback look. Diggle is a very good writer. Saw a couple interior pages showing Alyssa from the original VEI issues will be involved. All of those things seem very positive to me.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Time to start paying down on that Glow in the Dark 1:250 :clap: :thumb:
#StayValiant

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

BugsySig wrote:Dig the “new” throwback look. Diggle is a very good writer. Saw a couple interior pages showing Alyssa from the original VEI issues will be involved. All of those things seem very positive to me.

Good. Hopefully Diggle can repair that foolish forced romance that Milligan created. Are the pages you saw online somewhere?