Shadowman End Times GN?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Wodwulf Seaxaning
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Shadowman End Times GN?

Post by Wodwulf Seaxaning »

I was wondering if Shadowman End Times would be a worth while purchase? The two amazon reviews for it was negative, I don't want to continue the series if it ends poorly I might just skip Shadowman & wait for the reboot. I am not looking for spoilers beyond those listed in the the write up on the Valiant site.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Shadowman End Times GN?

Post by Jrosen »

It flows well with the second half (11 - 16, plus Punk Mango) of the ongoing series. Of you didn't like those story arc, then you probably won't enjoy End Times. Personally, I liked the change in tones and character behavior, but I totally understand why many people really disliked these stories.

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

I pretty much hated it (story and art), but you almost have to read it to know what happens with Shadowman leading into the stories in Ninjak and then Rapture. If you liked Volume 4, when Peter Milligan takes over, then you may like it.

If you do buy it and read it, post what you think of it (and maybe consider writing a review on Amazon since it only has 20 total reviews on the site).

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

Tonally, it’s jarring. Although it does fit in, to some extent, with the rest of the Milligan run. The art isn’t great either, BUT it’s a big point of continuity that leads the character directly into his appearances in Ninjak. Beyond that, it explains events at the end of Rapture. So if you’re a Shadowman fan, and I am, I would recommend reading it.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

I've only read the first GN, but I actually liked the darker art from what I've seen in the other trades. I am still up in the air on it, I do want to get to know Punk Mambo better since I am liking what I've read of her so far in her Ninjak appearance. I like the concept behind Shadowman, as I like the darker supernatural books & if End Times & the Rapture lays the foundation for the Shadowman reboot I'll likely get them.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:I've only read the first GN, but I actually liked the darker art from what I've seen in the other trades. I am still up in the air on it, I do want to get to know Punk Mambo better since I am liking what I've read of her so far in her Ninjak appearance. I like the concept behind Shadowman, as I like the darker supernatural books & if End Times & the Rapture lays the foundation for the Shadowman reboot I'll likely get them.
I would say you'd want to read volumes 2-4 before taking on End Times for it to make sense.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

Oh I know - I think I should've explained my request better.

Is the 2012 Shadowman series worth reading to the end to justify ordering End Times & Rapture to finish up the series in advance of the upcoming Shadowman reboot?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:Oh I know - I think I should've explained my request better.

Is the 2012 Shadowman series worth reading to the end to justify ordering End Times & Rapture to finish up the series in advance of the upcoming Shadowman reboot?
IMO, yes. But it depends on the level of continuity you seek as a reader and fan.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:Oh I know - I think I should've explained my request better.

Good question, but definitely a difficult one to answer without seeing how the new series will be handled. If it's a restart similar to the X-O restart, you may not need the background to enjoy it. But, you might be in a situation where you're wondering what happened beforehand. In my opinion, the first two volumes of Shadowman were okay. I think Justin Jordan started the series off decently and opened up a ton of plot threads that could have really been explored later on. Much of his focus, though, in those first two arcs was really more on Master Darque than on Shadowman. The third arc is a mixed bag -- you get more of the backstory of Darque and more of the history of the Shadowman loa, but then you also get two filler issues. One of those is terrible (a Halloween issue with Dr. Mirage), and the other contains three short stories (which I thought were good). Peter Milligan takes over in the fourth arc and begins to explore Jack's history. In my opinion, his run started off with a lot of promise, but ultimately fell apart and the main title ended. They wrapped things up with End Times, and I mentioned my opinion of it. Overall, Jordan opens the storyline with Jack Boniface -- a guy with some baggage due to his parents, but who ultimately begins to find his way through the help of the abettors (particularly Dox, who somewhat served as the father-figure Jack needed). Milligan took the character and tried to explore the difficulties that one may have coming up in a foster care environment without real parents. While it was an interesting take, it somewhat ignored some of what Jordan established in the first couple of arcs. And, it really took a couple of characters (particularly Alyssa) and rewrote them in a very odd way. It also left Jack in a very strange place (figuratively and literally).

Wodwulf Seaxaning

Thanks everyone, I'll just pass on it for now. If after the reboot I feel the need to fill the holes I can go back, order & read the GNs I need. Right now I'd rather focus on Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, Rai, Ninjak & Harbinger (especially since I heard great things about this title here & on youtube). Again thank you for your assistance.