Valiant Reading Order?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant Reading Order?

Post by Jrosen »

I'm new to Valiant. My local comic book store recommended that I try Generation Zero went it came out, and I thought it was enjoyable. I then picked up Harbinger Renegades, and I really got into with the cross-over connection between Generation Zero and Renegades in number 5. The store also recommended X-O Manowar when that was released a few months ago, and I'm caught up on the most current story arcs.

Now I'm at a quandary. I want to get ready for Harbinger Wars 2, so I want to go back and read the essential series so that I can fully understand the current storylines. My confusion is knowing which other series I should read.

I've gone through the reading order posted here: https://sothatyoumayfollow.wordpress.co ... ing-order/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is what I thought was a good start. However, the reading order from that site hasn't been updated since the middle of 2016.

From what I gather, if I'm interested in Manowar and Harbinger, I should also read Unity and Bloodshot. The other series don't seem to interconnect as closely. Is that right?

Is it essential that I read Archer and Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, and Shadowman? Or should I consider those series more tangential to the Valiant Universe.

I'm preparing for Faith and Secret Weapons, as they seem to be very connected to the Harbinger storylines.

What else am I missing?
Last edited by Jrosen on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:26:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Valiant Reading Order?

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Well, go back and read Harbinger Wars, if you haven't already. Imperium fits in there too. Those other books are great, and while they may not be a huge part of HW2, they are fantastic reads

More importantly, welcome to the site! This is a great group, hope you stick around and contribute to the boards. These people here are core amazing fans of Valiant, old (VH1) and new (VEI)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

I should probably add that I went out and bought two large lots of Harbinger and Bloodshot back issues. I've read Harbinger 0-14 and Bloodshot 1-13, plus the 4-part Harbinger Wars miniseries. I own all of the Harbinger series through 25, which include Blood Monk 0, and the 3-part Harbinger Omega Wars. I also own the rest of Bloodshot through 25, including Bloodshot 0 and H.A.R.D. Corps 0.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

This page is a summary for "release order" and it is color-coded (somewhat) for titles/characters. If you wanted to read the books in the order they were released, this would help.

http://valiant101.com/valiant2012to2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Greg, lemme just say again that I love that release chart.

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Sounds like you have things pretty well in hand with Harbinger and Bloodshot. Nice work on securing all those issues!

Archer & Armstrong is pretty self-contained, aside from the crossover with Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps. It is worth mentioning that the 12 issue Ivar, Timewalker series spins out of Archer & Armstrong.

Unity, of course, spins out of X-O. Likewise, the Armor Hunters event is rooted in X-O. I mention that because Armor Hunters is probably the most impactful "event" that has occurred in the Valiant Universe, and Bloodshot plays a role in it. It also positions him for his part in The Valiant mini-series, which has a profound impact on the character and leads into the recent Bloodshot Reborn series.

Hope this all helps!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

What is The Valiant miniseries?

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Jrosen wrote:What is The Valiant miniseries?
An ancient villain returns to kill the geomancer, as it has several times before. Eternal Warrior has always fought to protect the geomancer, and lost, every time. This time, he has help from others in the Valiant Universe, particularly Bloodshot, who can also survive being killed.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

greg wrote:
Jrosen wrote:What is The Valiant miniseries?
An ancient villain returns to kill the geomancer, as it has several times before. Eternal Warrior has always fought to protect the geomancer, and lost, every time. This time, he has help from others in the Valiant Universe, particularly Bloodshot, who can also survive being killed.
"The Valiant" is the starting point for these 2 characters' story lines as follows....

Eternal Warrior: (written by Venditti) -> Book of Death -> Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Bloodshot: (written by Jeff Lemire) -> Bloodshot Reborn / Bloodshot USA -> Bloodshot Salvation (starting this Sept.)

Sunlight on Snow

Jrosen wrote:From what I gather, if I'm interested in Manowar and Harbinger, I should also read Unity and Bloodshot. The other series don't seem to interconnect as closely. Is that right?

Is it essential that I read Archer and Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, and Shadowman? Or should I consider those series more tangential to the Valiant Universe.

I'm preparing for Faith and Secret Weapons, as they seem to be very connected to the Harbinger storylines.
Welcome to ValiantFans.com! Here's a quick overview:

Venditti's XO MANOWAR is awesome... you don't need to read all 56 issues though unless you want to and you probably will anyway. The most important volumes are 1-7, 9, and 12. Along with 4 and 5 you should also read Unity Vol. 1. Along with 6 and 7 you should read Unity Vol. 3 and the Armor Hunters minis. X-O's Vol. 9 is a continuation of sorts of the Armor Hunters story.

The most important of XO's one-shot is the XO 25th Anniversary Special as it tells the Origin of Shanhara.

UNITY (the series) isn't bad but only the first 3 volumes (#1-11) are essential; plus maybe Vol. 4 (Armor Hunters aftermath). After that the story line is fragmented into (flashbacks of various) previous UNITY teams and UNITY-like formations and there is little story regarding the present of the Valiant Universe.... except for issues 23 and 24 which feature more Armor Hunters related stuff.

ETERNAL WARRIOR - see previous post. The first EW mini-series (2013) gives you an idea of who he is and his connection to the Geomancer (especially issues #1-4).

SHADOWMAN - the series starts okay-ish but never really gets going. The best SM issues are #0 and #10 (which don't focus on Jack) and the first 2 arcs. The misery starts at issue #11. Do yourself a favor and read all the other series and recommendations first.

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG Vol. 1 -> Ivar, Timewalker Vol. 1

Fred Van Lente at his very best. It's super funny with dinosaurs, the weirdest villains, even weirder places, time travel, and lots of aliens (literally) that love to give you a good anal probing. Seriously, they really do! You'll see! :) -- Ivar, Timewalker is also quite useful to better understand Faith and the Future Force.

FAITH - You're okay with reading Harbinger Vol. 1 + Omegas + Imperium... and then continue with the current Harbinger Renegade series. No real need to catch up on her solo mini and solo ongoing... unless you really really like her... it's focusing on her life and adventures when not being with the Renegades.

SECRET WEAPONS - same thing... read Harbinger Vol. 1 + Omegas + Imperium.

Jrosen wrote:What else am I missing?
RAI - focusing on New Japan in the 41st Century of the Valiant Universe. The Rai-related series and stories have little connection to the rest of the Valiant Universe set in the present day.

War Mother - set on Earth in the 41st Century. 1 one-shot thus far. Mini-series coming up. Fred Van Lente.

DIVINITY Vol. 1, 2, 3 (Stalinverse) to be continued in the Kirby-esque "Eternity" this October. DIVINITY is a series of epic mini-series about an African American (Abram Adams) who's raised by the Soviets and send to space in the 1960s where he makes contact with (no spoiler!) something unknown that grants him God-like powers. He eventually returns to Earth in 2015 and everything's changed, will change, and will be changed. You may want to read DIV Vol. 1 before reading the 2nd arc of Imperium.

NINJAK by Matt Kindt. Ninjak first appears in X-O Manowar and Unity. If you like him you may want to check out his solo series. Issues 10-13 are essential to better understand Shadowman in the current Rapture mini-series.

Hope it helps.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Thanks for all of the help. One more question, what's imperium? Is that another miniseries or an ongoing book?

Keith

Post by Keith »

Imperium went for 16 issues, and picks up an aspect of the Harbinger story after Harbinger Omegas. Don't want to spoil anything... Harbinger Renegade makes a reference or two about what's going on in Imperium.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Sunlight on Snow

Keith wrote:Imperium went for 16 issues, and picks up an aspect of the Harbinger story after Harbinger Omegas. Don't want to spoil anything... Harbinger Renegade makes a reference or two about what's going on in Imperium.
It's worth mentioning that it's all one continued story line written by Joshua Dysart...

Harbinger #1-10 + #0
Harbinger #11-14 + Harbinger Wars #1-4
Harbinger #15-25
Bleeding Monk #0
Omegas #1-3
Imperium #1-16

plus the Armor Hunters tie-in AH: Harbinger (#1-3) focusing on the GenZero kids, and the Faith #0 one-shot.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Thanks. I've seen these lists, but I was looking for more information on which series crossed over the other. I am concerned that I'll miss something by not reading them in the right order, book-by-book.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Keith wrote:Imperium went for 16 issues, and picks up an aspect of the Harbinger story after Harbinger Omegas. Don't want to spoil anything... Harbinger Renegade makes a reference or two about what's going on in Imperium.
It's worth mentioning that it's all one continued story line written by Joshua Dysart...

Harbinger #1-10 + #0
Harbinger #15-25
Bleeding Monk #0
Omegas #1-3
Imperium #1-16

plus the Armor Hunters tie-in AH: Harbinger (#1-3) focusing on the GenZero kids, and the Faith #0 one-shot.
That really helps. Is Dysart still involved with Harbinger or other Valiant books?

Keith

Post by Keith »

Jrosen wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Harbinger #1-10 + #0
Harbinger #15-25
Bleeding Monk #0
Omegas #1-3
Imperium #1-16

That really helps. Is Dysart still involved with Harbinger or other Valiant books?
It's been confirmed that he is working on a mystery project, but not much more is known beyond that. Some of the gang here have been clued in, but are understandably keeping quiet until it gets announced.

Sunlight on Snow

Keith wrote:
Jrosen wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Harbinger #1-10 + #0
Harbinger #15-25
Bleeding Monk #0
Omegas #1-3
Imperium #1-16

It's been confirmed that he is working on a mystery project, but not much more is known beyond that. Some of the gang here have been clued in, but are understandably keeping quiet until it gets announced.
It started with Joshua Dysart's AMA on reddit (~ Sept. 2016):
https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/com ... r/d6mu7l8/

Then we didn't hear anything about it until Dinesh posted this "proof of work" on Twitter (Jan. 2017):
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/821011632985935872

That's it.

Sunlight on Snow

Jrosen wrote:
Thanks. I've seen these lists, but I was looking for more information on which series crossed over the other. I am concerned that I'll miss something by not reading them in the right order, book-by-book.
There haven't been many crossovers yet. Here's the ultimate guide to Valiant crossovers and reading orders (in addition to the previous post about continued story lines across multiple series):

HARBINGER WARS
-----------------
Harbinger Wars #1
Harbinger #11
Bloodshot #10
Harbinger Wars #2
Harbinger #12
Bloodshot #11
Harbinger Wars #3
Bloodshot #12
Harbinger #13
Harbinger Wars #4
Harbinger #14
Bloodshot #13

EDIT: The Bloodshot tie-ins are the least needed one but they're adding another perspective.

MISSION IMPROBABLE
--------------------
Archer & Armstrong #18
Bloodshot #20
Archer & Armstrong #19
Bloodshot #21

UNITY
--------
X-O Manowar #15-18 "Homecoming" (setup/prelude)

Unity #1
X-O Manowar #19
Unity #2
X-O Manowar #20
Unity #3
X-O Manowar #21
Unity #4
X-O Manowar #22

ARMOR HUNTERS
----------------
X-O Manowar #22-25 "Prelude to Armor Hunters"

Armor Hunters #1
Unity #8
X-O Manowar #26
Armor Hunters #2
Unity #9
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #1
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #1
X-O Manowar #27
Armor Hunters #3
Unity #10
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #2
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #2
X-O Manowar #28
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #3
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #3
Unity #11
Armor Hunters #4
X-O Manowar #29
Armor Hunters: Aftermath

EDIT: The main story takes place in the core mini. In XO the origin of the Armor Hunters is told - you want to read this.

BOOK OF DEATH
----------------
BOD is just an event with a core mini-series that has no real tie-ins. The 4 one-shots are self-concluded and the exclusive "Legends of the Geomancer" series (no spoiler) tells the origin of the (first) Geomancer. This series has never been collected and is only available in floppies (retailer incentives). Note: Read "The Valiant" before BOD.... see Eternal Warrior in previous post.)

4001 AD
---------
...is another event with no real crossover. If you plan to read it all

Rai #1-12

4001 AD #1
4001 AD: XO #1
4001 AD #2-4
Rai #13-16
No need to alternate between 4001 AD #1-4 & Rai #13-16. You'll see.

It doesn't matter when and if you read the other 3 one-shots as they are all self-contained. 4001 AD: Bloodshot #1 as well as BOOK OF DEATH: The Fall of Bloodshot #1 tie-in to the Bloodshot Reborn series though.

Rai and The History of the Valiant Universe #1 (not needed, but loosely continued from 4001 AD #4)

HARBINGER Reading Order:
------------------------
updated form previous post

Harbinger #1-10 + #0
Harbinger #15-25
Bleeding Monk #0
**Armor Hunters event tie-in** (optional as it mainly focuses on GenZero)
Omegas #1-3
Imperium #1-16

BLOODSHOT Reading Order:
--------------------------

1) Bloodshot (2012-2014)

Bloodshot #1-9
Bloodshot #10-13 + Harbinger Wars (see above)
Bloodshot #0
Bloodshot & HARD Corps #14-19 + HARD Corps #0
Bloodshot & HARD Corps #20-21 + Mission Improbable
Bloodshot & HARD Corps #22-23
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #1-3 + Armor Hunters #1-4 + Aftermath (see event info, above)
Bloodshot #24-25

2) Bloodshot (2015-2017)
Lemire's BS REBORN cycle (continuation but also new beginning):

The Valiant #1-4 (prelude) (READ THIS FIRST!)

FCBD 2015: Valiant 25th Anniversary Special: "The Dream" (exclusive short story)
Bloodshot Reborn #1-5 "Colorado"
Book of Death: The Fall of Bloodshot #1 *
Bloodshot Reborn #6-9 "The Hunt"
Bloodshot Reborn #10-13 "Analog Man"
Bloodshot Reborn Annual 2016 #1 **
Bloodshot Reborn #14-18 "Bloodshot Island"
4001 A.D.: Bloodshot #1 *
Bloodshot U.S.A. #1-4
Bloodshot Reborn #0
Bloodshot's Day Off #1 (not needed but cool)

* Read them in release order (the BOD one-shot before the 4001 AD one-shot), and read them before reading anything BS Salvation related... starting in September.

** NOT NEEDED at all. This is an old-school like annual with unrelated short stories, homages, and parodies.

DIVINITY reading order:
---------------------

Divinity #1-4 (2015)
**Divinity appears in Imperium #5-8 "Broken Angels" (not needed, however, great demo of his powers)**
Divinity II #1-4 (2016)
Divinity III: Stalinverse #1
Divinity III: Komandar Bloodshot #1 *
Divinity III: Stalinverse #2
Divinity III: Aric, Son of the Revolution #1 *
Divinity III: Stalinverse #3
Divinity III: Shadowman and the Battle for New Stalingrad #1 *
Divinity III: Stalinverse #4
Divinity III: Escape from Gulag 396 #1 (featuring Archer & Armstrong) *
Divinity #0

*not needed but cool if you like the idea of Stalinverse anyway. If you want to skip these one-shots, no problem. Just in case you do skip them but really dig Jeff Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn, then you may still want to check out Komandar Bloodshot though.

Eternity #1-4 (this October)

GEN ZERO reading order
---------------------
Bloodshot #5-9 "The Rise and the Fall" (not needed, not called Gen Zero yet)
Harbinger Wars event (see above)
Harbinger #20-24 (mostly Ax and Animalia related)
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #1-3 (mainly featuring GenZero)
Generation Zero #1-9
Harbinger Renegade #5 ...

That's it... and a lot to digest and read! :P
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:53:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Nice work, SOS!!

Curious how you would feel about adding references to Armor Hunters for the Bloodshot path. Basing that suggestion on how AH does pretty much pick up where the character is at after end of his series, his participation in AH, and then sets up the explanation for how he is working with Neville/UNITY as we see in The Valiant:

Armor Hunters #1
Armor Hunters:Bloodshot #1 - #3
Armor Hunters #4

Just a thought. Again, great job on compiling all that info!

Sunlight on Snow

Keith wrote:Nice work, SOS!!

Curious how you would feel about adding references to Armor Hunters for the Bloodshot path. Basing that suggestion on how AH does pretty much pick up where the character is at after end of his series, his participation in AH, and then sets up the explanation for how he is working with Neville/UNITY as we see in The Valiant:

Armor Hunters #1
Armor Hunters #4

Excellent recommendation! :high-five:

I've added the Armor Hunters event info to both Harbinger and Bloodshot. Aftermath? Is it really necessary in case of Bloodshot? I don't have the issue at hand right now. IIRC it's mostly about MERO/GATE, Livewire, GIN-GR, and Aric?

Keith

Post by Keith »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Armor Hunters #1
Armor Hunters #4

I've added the Armor Hunters event info to both Harbinger and Bloodshot. Aftermath? Is it really necessary in case of Bloodshot? I don't have the issue at hand right now. IIRC it's mostly about MERO/GATE, Livewire, GIN-GR, and Aric?
You're right about that. I was thinking of the scene where they show Bloodshot kind of standing guard duty over Quartz. Granted, it's pretty much a one panel scene, but it does show that he is working with GATE at that point, and makes it reasonable that Neville sends him out to retrieve the mystery box in The Valiant #1.

Sunlight on Snow

Keith wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Armor Hunters #1
Armor Hunters #4

You're right about that. I was thinking of the scene where they show Bloodshot kind of standing guard duty over Quartz. Granted, it's pretty much a one panel scene, but it does show that he is working with GATE at that point, and makes it reasonable that Neville sends him out to retrieve the mystery box in The Valiant #1.
Hmm, I guess you're right. After reading the main event it doesn't hurt to know what happens next anyway... not only to Bloodshot. Added.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Thank you so much, SOS. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

What about the Delinquents? I saw an issue or two in the $1 box at the local store.