A theme I noticed for some of the upcoming relaunches

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
A theme I noticed for some of the upcoming relaunches

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

So watching the Valiant summit, I noticed that many of the new relaunches have a similar narrative device: they've skipped ahead some amount of time and start the book from the middle of the story, and will reveal over time how the characters got there. They did it for XO, and it sounds like the same will happen with Bloodshot Salvation, Quantum & Woody and maybe Eternity.

I wonder if this is at least partly a reaction to people who have complained about series that started slow, like Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, or Generation Zero. Maybe they've decided that skipping ahead to more action-y bits are more likely to grab the readers' attention...

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm
Re: A theme I noticed for some of the upcoming relaunches

Post by apacseller »

Plus they can create super-complicated 1st appearance debates!

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

One of the concerns I've got about Bloodshot Salvation (as with BOD) is the danger of boxing themselves in from a continuity point of view in the future or increasing continuity errors.

For example, from BOD we know that Vine Commander Trill survives into the future and becomes a kind of 'converted' good guy, so now every time he shows up we know he won't die which for me takes away possibilities. Not sure the XO BOD one shot was worth it for the restrictions it gave. Similarly with Bloodshot Salvation, having a storyline set 8 years in the future could prove problematic down the line?

That said, I'm keeping an open mind and hoping to enjoy a good story from Lemire.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:One of the concerns I've got about Bloodshot Salvation (as with BOD) is the danger of boxing themselves in from a continuity point of view in the future or increasing continuity errors.

For example, from BOD we know that Vine Commander Trill survives into the future and becomes a kind of 'converted' good guy, so now every time he shows up we know he won't die which for me takes away possibilities. Not sure the XO BOD one shot was worth it for the restrictions it gave. Similarly with Bloodshot Salvation, having a storyline set 8 years in the future could prove problematic down the line?

That said, I'm keeping an open mind and hoping to enjoy a good story from Lemire.
I understand what you're saying, but for me at least, there's not really any decrease in tension in the scenario you painted (about Commander Trill). Because I wouldn't have been assuming that Commander Trill was going to die in the first place. It's not often that comic companies kill off heroes or villains (beyond low level fodder), so I don't see that I would have been reading some story next year and thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh, could this be the end of Commander Trill!?!?" before realizing that he was shown in that one-shot as alive in the future and having my conjecture fade away to nothing. I probably wouldn't notice or worry about it unless they seemed to violate canon of what has been shown before. There's plenty of ways besides death that a villain could be removed from the playing field for a time and still be able to return later.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:One of the concerns I've got about Bloodshot Salvation (as with BOD) is the danger of boxing themselves in from a continuity point of view in the future or increasing continuity errors.

I understand what you're saying, but for me at least, there's not really any decrease in tension in the scenario you painted (about Commander Trill). Because I wouldn't have been assuming that Commander Trill was going to die in the first place. It's not often that comic companies kill off heroes or villains (beyond low level fodder), so I don't see that I would have been reading some story next year and thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh, could this be the end of Commander Trill!?!?" before realizing that he was shown in that one-shot as alive in the future and having my conjecture fade away to nothing. I probably wouldn't notice or worry about it unless they seemed to violate canon of what has been shown before. There's plenty of ways besides death that a villain could be removed from the playing field for a time and still be able to return later.

One word...'Phoenix'

Two words...Director Kozol (PRS)

:kidaround: just kidding :P

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

One word...'Phoenix'

Personally I don't think that BoD should be taken as gospel by any means. I think it's pretty clear that *anything* that's written in the BoD is ambiguous at very best; when one considers what was prophesised in it during the event there are equal chances that the future events in it will/won't transpire. Because chances of prophecies occurring/not occurring are equal I'd argue that it's pointless to place any stock in them until we get definite answers further down the (real-time) line.

Imo BoD is a classic case of the old 'Illusion of Change' comic-writing tool: the title foretold of future events but there's really no reason that any of them should ever even occur unless VEI age their characters real-time
:twocents:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

One word...'Phoenix'

Personally I don't think that BoD should be taken as gospel by any means. I think it's pretty clear that *anything* that's written in the BoD is ambiguous at very best; when one considers what was prophesised in it during the event there are equal chances that the future events in it will/won't transpire. Because chances of prophecies occurring/not occurring are equal I'd argue that it's pointless to place any stock in them until we get definite answers further down the (real-time) line.

Imo BoD is a classic case of the old 'Illusion of Change' comic-writing tool: the title foretold of future events but there's really no reason that any of them should ever even occur unless VEI age their characters real-time
In one way I hope the events in BOD aren't gospel, however on the other hand I don't want too many 'imaginary' stories eg the Bloodshot Reborn 'future' story arc.

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

One word...'Phoenix'

At the very least, the events of Fall of Bloodshot are essentially confirmed by 4001: Bloodshot.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that the other BOD tie-ins are also canon. Ivar, Timewalker states that the past cannot be changed due to chronological protection, so Tama being sent to the past would not change the course of events.

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

One word...'Phoenix'

At the very least, the events of Fall of Bloodshot are essentially confirmed by 4001: Bloodshot.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that the other BOD tie-ins are also canon. Ivar, Timewalker states that the past cannot be changed due to chronological protection, so Tama being sent to the past would not change the course of events.
That's a really interesting point... That potentially makes the entire rationale behind future Gilad sending Tama back through time completely and utterly pointless... :|
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

One word...'Phoenix'

That's a really interesting point... That potentially makes the entire rationale behind future Gilad sending Tama back through time completely and utterly pointless... :|
It's not pointless actually. Gilad managed to save Tama in the future, which may have also averted a dark age when she came from. We see a Geomancer get killed in Archer & Armstrong without disastrous consequences, so ny thinking is that the dark ages are caused by the Immortal Enemy killing geomancers and deriving special power therefrom. It may even be specific geomancers that draw the a immortal Enemy out for some reason.