Shadowman returns in 2018 (CBR article)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Shadowman returns in 2018 (CBR article)

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Valiant Teases Shadowman’s Return in 2018

http://www.cbr.com/shadowman-returns-2018-valiant/

Teaser by Greg Smallwood

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: Shadowman returns in 2018 (CBR article)

Post by jaden_sai »

Now that we know Shadowman is coming back in a big way, are there other significant Valiant characters that you see as due for a similar return or reinvention?

Simons: We can’t reveal too much right now, but we can say that we have big news coming up for Unity… and Rai… soon.
:hm:

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Valiant Teases Shadowman’s Return in 2018

http://www.cbr.com/shadowman-returns-2018-valiant/

Teaser by Greg Smallwood

3/28/18.... facepalm All my favorites, it's excruciating. In hindsight though, if he's getting the X-O treatment, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait....
#StayValiant

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Hopefully they go back to the character design from the first few story arcs....

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

It is a long wait. This book won't be out for almost a year. :|
I :hope: that they got something cool cooking. And that somehow, it doesn't mean that they are getting rid of what came before, like they did with EW.
Best news of the summit for me, but again, one year from now. Still beats not having nothing in the horizon, though, so...
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Sunlight on Snow

agent_graves wrote:3/28/18.... facepalm All my favorites, it's excruciating. In hindsight though, if he's getting the X-O treatment, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait....
Yup. I think the X-O treatment is the most important detail of the announcement. I couldn't be happier for Jack!

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I'm really really glad to finally get some concrete evidence of Shadowman's return to the VU in his own title, but I'm still a little disappointed that it's looking as though this 'Magpie' image is here to stay. Nowhere near as iconic as the Zircher/DLT designs.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:I'm really really glad to finally get some concrete evidence of Shadowman's return to the VU in his own title, but I'm still a little disappointed that it's looking as though this 'Magpie' image is here to stay. Nowhere near as iconic as the Zircher/DLT designs.
I'd like to see something in the middle. Sleeker than the Magpie, but more intimidating than the body suit.

WhoDoo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: XO 90's Zero issue
Favorite character: Pete
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa and Mico

Post by WhoDoo »

I would love this book earlier, but I'm excited for the timing as this will be right around ECCC.

This year was pretty fun there with all the X-O promotions going on. I think Shadowman deserves that same build up and marketing.

At the least I am happy that they gave it a specific date, as Valiant prides themselves on not missing any release dates.

Sunlight on Snow

BugsySig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:I'm really really glad to finally get some concrete evidence of Shadowman's return to the VU in his own title, but I'm still a little disappointed that it's looking as though this 'Magpie' image is here to stay. Nowhere near as iconic as the Zircher/DLT designs.
I'd like to see something in the middle. Sleeker than the Magpie, but more intimidating than the body suit.
I don't mind the Magpie's look except for the glow-in-the-dark ropes.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Those were the bindings Master Darque put on him to force him into servitude. I don't imagine the ropes will be there still when we see him next. But I didn't mind the overall look of the Magpie myself. The plain jumpsuit seemed a little weak to me.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I'm hoping this eventually gets him over to the trench coat/lucha libre type mask that we saw in Book of Death... assuming that is actually Shadowman. I recall Bugsy had made the connection from some early Shadowman designs, so we assume it's him.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I really hate the Magpie look and actually liked the Zircher design.

But then, the character went off the rails with the Milligan arcs and hasn't come back near the tracks for me :|

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

BugsySig wrote:
I thought it was a bit Lululemon.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Those were the bindings Master Darque put on him to force him into servitude. I don't imagine the ropes will be there still when we see him next. But I didn't mind the overall look of the Magpie myself. The plain jumpsuit seemed a little weak to me.
One would think, but it's there in the preview art for Rapture.

Sunlight on Snow

BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Exactly. These binding were only temporarily removed when Jack was taken to the Lifeside but as stated by Ninjak in the narrative towards the end of the Operation Deadside arc those evil forces usually come back to haunt you. That's why Jack needs to find a way to redeem himself before he can become Shadowman again by the end of Rapture.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
It seems like the Magpie look is here to stay, unless they're planning to revert back to the Zircher/DLT design by the end of Rapture. I like the Magpie look, I think it's more intimidating, but either way they go, I'm good.

#Shadowman 3/28/18
#StayValiant

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

agent_graves wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
It seems like the Magpie look is here to stay, unless they're planning to revert back to the Zircher/DLT design by the end of Rapture. I like the Magpie look, I think it's more intimidating, but either way they go, I'm good.

#Shadowman 3/28/18
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens (or doesn't!) with the character design come the end of Rapture, hopefully we'll get some sort of definitive indication on this question, but I guess for now it's looking as though the current look is here until at least the new series in 2018.

I can dig the head element of the Magpie image, but honestly I think the rest of the outfit is really boring. If he didn't have the magic ropes he'd basically just be going around in a grey sack, slacks and boots. Not very exciting imo.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Shadowman99 wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote: I'd like to see something in the middle. Sleeker than the Magpie, but more intimidating than the body suit.

#Shadowman 3/28/18
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens (or doesn't!) with the character design come the end of Rapture, hopefully we'll get some sort of definitive indication on this question, but I guess for now it's looking as though the current look is here until at least the new series in 2018.

I can dig the head element of the Magpie image, but honestly I think the rest of the outfit is really boring. If he didn't have the magic ropes he'd basically just be going around in a grey sack, slacks and boots. Not very exciting imo.
The head element and magic ropes, are what stands out in the Magpie design. I know the ropes have in story reasons for being present, but they stand out to the point that getting rid of them wouldn't make sense, design-wise. Like you mentioned, without them, his look is kind of dull...

#Shadowman 3/28/18
#StayValiant