VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT May 2017 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

http://www.newsarama.com/33244-valiant- ... tions.html

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT May 2017 Solicitations

Post by agent_graves »

BRITANNIA: WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE #2 (of 4)
ETERNAL WARRIOR: AWAKENING #1
NINJAK #27
RAPTURE #1 (of 4)
X-O MANOWAR #3
#StayValiant

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

To answer my own question, Ninjak is continuing. And it has a new writer, Kevin Maurer. It looks like he has very little previously published work. I am cautiously optimistic.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

That's a small lineup. I hope VEI can capitalize on the draining Marvel fan base.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

umm, wasn't the events of Stalinverse meant to change the Valiant landscape? There is nothing in these solicitations which picks up that continuity thread. I loved the earlier Valiant where Bloodshot was linked to Harbinger, Shadowman had an interesting cast of characters, Archer and Armstrong were heavy hitters and interacted with loads of characters across many titles. Even Unity (in some issues) brought other characters into the fold. XO too for that matter.

Now, we don't have that.

Rapture caters for this somewhat but it's only a mini and has been marketed as a self contained story.

I'll be getting:
Ninjak #27 - very happy this is continuing. I thought with Rapture coming out that this would be the end of the series.
Rapture #1

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

jaden_sai wrote:VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT May 2017 Solicitations
Looks like a good month but umm... Where's Renegade #5? Didn't Marchs solicitations say it was coming out in May?

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Looks like a good month but umm... Where's Renegade #5? Didn't Marchs solicitations say it was coming out in May?
HARBINGER RENEGADE #5
RETURNING THIS JULY!
RAFER ROBERTS | DARICK ROBERTSON
“MASSACRE” PART ONE | AN ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT!

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer

Post by TheFerg714 »

jaden_sai wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
HARBINGER RENEGADE #5
RETURNING THIS JULY!
RAFER ROBERTS | DARICK ROBERTSON
“MASSACRE” PART ONE | AN ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT!
... oh. Oops facepalm

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jeremycoe wrote:To answer my own question, Ninjak is continuing. And it has a new writer, Kevin Maurer. It looks like he has very little previously published work. I am cautiously optimistic.
I'm cautiously optimistic that VEI is actually continuing a series with a new writer mid-stream instead of ending it and starting with a new #1!! I'm hopeful that this strategy pans out and the series continues well and for some time, so that VEI may consider doing this again when possible (i.e. when there is someone there interested in doing more stories with the character in question, not just forcing a title to continue without a good plan or story in mind). We'll see whether this is long term with this writer staying on the title, or if it's only for one four issue arc while Kindt is busy doing Rapture, followed by Kindt returning to the title after that.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:To answer my own question, Ninjak is continuing. And it has a new writer, Kevin Maurer. It looks like he has very little previously published work. I am cautiously optimistic.
I'm cautiously optimistic that VEI is actually continuing a series with a new writer mid-stream instead of ending it and starting with a new #1!! I'm hopeful that this strategy pans out and the series continues well and for some time, so that VEI may consider doing this again when possible (i.e. when there is someone there interested in doing more stories with the character in question, not just forcing a title to continue without a good plan or story in mind). We'll see whether this is long term with this writer staying on the title, or if it's only for one four issue arc while Kindt is busy doing Rapture, followed by Kindt returning to the title after that.
I'm sorry, because maybe I missed something, but why are we calling this the new writer? Or Snakebite a 4-issue arc? I don't see any of those things reflected in the solicitation.

I'm far more apt to see this as a fill-in issue before the series wraps. VEI did that with the first A&A run, then again with Unity. (Arguably with Bloodshot V.1 also.) So it would make sense to do here as well.

Any thoughts?
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Phoenix8008 »

rkjock1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
I'm sorry, because maybe I missed something, but why are we calling this the new writer? Or Snakebite a 4-issue arc? I don't see any of those things reflected in the solicitation.

I'm far more apt to see this as a fill-in issue before the series wraps. VEI did that with the first A&A run, then again with Unity. (Arguably with Bloodshot V.1 also.) So it would make sense to do here as well.

Any thoughts?
The solicitation does list the writer for this issue as Kevin Maurer. It does not specify that it is the start of a new arc as opposed to a one-shot. That was my assumption. We'll have to wait and see what next months solicitations show to be sure. With the upcoming 'Ninjak Vs. The Valiant Universe' stuff though, I suspect they'll keep this series ongoing for awhile. I could be wrong though.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
rkjock1 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

Any thoughts?
The solicitation does list the writer for this issue as Kevin Maurer. It does not specify that it is the start of a new arc as opposed to a one-shot. That was my assumption. We'll have to wait and see what next months solicitations show to be sure. With the upcoming 'Ninjak Vs. The Valiant Universe' stuff though, I suspect they'll keep this series ongoing for awhile. I could be wrong though.
I, for one, am happy they decided to pass Ninjak along to someone else, especially if Matt Kindt is getting wrapped up in other items in the VU and can't keep writing for Ninjak. This keeps everything ongoing, and while the story line might have ended, it can still continue (and maybe still circle back around?).

If this guy writes a single issue, OK. Maybe he adds something cool. IF he writes an arc, chances of something different/cool are more likely to emerge. IF he writes several arcs, this could take Ninjak to a whole different area, which would be exactly what we would want. I think we are all on the same page, we don't want this book to start over, we want continuation. Say Maurer takes over for 3 arcs (9-12 issues), then hands it back. That would give Kindt the ability to look at what Maurer has done, add, subtract, twist, you name it.

I don't know, maybe a little far fetched. I just want continued goodness
Moose

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

I was hoping to see a Deluxe HC, but hopefully next month :hope:

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

Mostly excited about the Eternal Warrior one shot. I wish that series was still going I loved it.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

I hate to always be asking "what about X", but I really would like to see another book or two. I miss when VEI first started and there were 5+ ongoing books running for over a year. Now we have 3 ongoings, 2 minis, and a one-shot.

jeremycoe
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

mateo107 wrote:I hate to always be asking "what about X", but I really would like to see another book or two. I miss when VEI first started and there were 5+ ongoing books running for over a year. Now we have 3 ongoings, 2 minis, and a one-shot.
Not that it makes a huge difference, but there will be 3 minis with issues released in May. Valiant High #4 comes out in May.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I allotted 35.00 towards comics. That's atleast five ongoing titles a month or a few variants a month. Other than Divinity no other comics are on the board for me. I won't buy what I don't like I won't be suckered into one shot or 4001 companion oneshots. I like continuity and continuity in my long boxes. I won't buy what I don't like to just support Valiant. I had to except that fact a wile ago. I won't get suckered into extra flork for flork sakes.
It is very sad to me that I've had wendsdays with out comics this is the first year that's happened and a few times already. And supposedly next wendsday too.
Valiant your personally losing money from me. I may not matter but it sounds like I'm not the only one.
This May list sucks balls. Xo will be the only thing I get.
All this makes me feel very sick
I Miss the good old days.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Can't wait for Awakening and Rapture and everything they'll be teasing in the FCBD Special.

I'm also glad to see Ninjak's going to be continued.

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

I find another 6-issue month a little disappointing to be honest. Is the small line because they cancelled Wrath, A&A, and Gen Zero without having anything ready to replace them?

Regarding Ninjak, I'm interested but I really hope they do something to explain that the events of Snakebite take place before or after Rapture. Having a character appear to be in two places at once is a big problem for a universe built on tight continuity. It's something that Marvel gets criticized for constantly.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Can't wait for Awakening and Rapture and everything they'll be teasing in the FCBD Special.

I agree seems like the cancelled all the good stuff facepalm
I will be very up set if Ninjak goes passed Xo ManOwar.
March I get three Valiant comics. Bloodshot 0 xo and Divinity #4
New titles or icon can't come fast enough. And cohesion amongst the universe is a must.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

nonplayer wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:Can't wait for Awakening and Rapture and everything they'll be teasing in the FCBD Special.

New titles or icon can't come fast enough. And cohesion amongst the universe is a must.
Why would you be upset if Ninjak continues ? It's got a long way to go to exceed XO at this point.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Zhuge1 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:

Why would you be upset if Ninjak continues ? It's got a long way to go to exceed XO at this point.
Valiants flag ship title should go longer than the non flag ship title.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

If Ninjak runs longer than X-O, wouldn't that then make it the flagship title?

Nairbe

Post by Nairbe »

:offtopic:

Who is the flagship character now?

I've always felt X-O.
I know others feel that Valiant has been pushing Bloodshot.
Ninjak is EVERYWHERE and has a web series named after him coming out.
Harbinger will be the first movie.
Some even say Faith (this is wrong).

What say you?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Flagship title? Flagship character? I don't care!

My love for Valiant is unconditional....but it's time to MAKE SHADOWMAN GREAT AGAIN!