X-O 1 1:500 Print Run Speculation

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: X-O 1 1:500 Print Run Speculation

Post by kjjohanson »

NM/MT became VF/NM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-O-Manowar-1-C ... SwhQhY0aTu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I seen one today displayed behind the counter at a lcs that just opened up their second store. It looked pretty damn good to me as far as condition, and they only asking for $400 :o

If they let me make two payments, I might jump on it... :?
#StayValiant

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

agent_graves wrote:I seen one today displayed behind the counter at a lcs that just opened up their second store. It looked pretty damn good to me as far as condition, and they only asking for $400 :o

I might just do the same thing! :o

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

OhioValiantNut wrote:
agent_graves wrote:I seen one today displayed behind the counter at a lcs that just opened up their second store. It looked pretty damn good to me as far as condition, and they only asking for $400 :o

I might just do the same thing! :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
#StayValiant

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I saw a slabbed 9.8 1:500 at Planet ComiCon in Kansas City, MO. The Seller was asking $1,500.00.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

There were 10 new CGC slabs added to the census this week.

Current totals:
CGC 9.8 = 11 (10 universal, 1 signature)
CGC 9.6 = 4
CGC 9.4 = 1
TOTAL = 16

Last week there were 6 total slabs.

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

I'll just chime in, as these numbers will make it look like the 9.8s are a little stacked. I submitted two of them and the ones I submitted had never been touched without gloves (since printing), were barely handled at all, no visible flaws, and were super well packaged on the way to CGC. I still think these are a hard 9.8 and just wanted to say that the two I submitted were choice copies.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

greg wrote:There were 10 new CGC slabs added to the census this week.

Current totals:
CGC 9.8 = 11 (10 universal, 1 signature)
CGC 9.6 = 4
CGC 9.4 = 1
TOTAL = 16

Last week there were 6 total slabs.

Shocking. :o

I'm on the side that believes this book will be more common in 9.8 than has been suggested.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I sent one in that was received this week. Verified only. I'm expecting a 9.8, but you never know.

I will note that a 9.8 sold on eBay yesterday at auction for $860, which is slightly less than I anticipated. I threw in the $850 bid, figuring if it would be a relatively good buy for a confirmed 9.8. I was wrong. That appears to be the perceived value, as of today (or less if you consider that only 2 people were willing to pay that much, including myself, and another person who now has one).

michael
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: none
Favorite title: EW
Favorite writer: Kirkman
Favorite artist: none

Post by michael »

nycjadie wrote:I sent one in that was received this week. Verified only. I'm expecting a 9.8, but you never know.

I will note that a 9.8 sold on eBay yesterday at auction for $860, which is slightly less than I anticipated. I threw in the $850 bid, figuring if it would be a relatively good buy for a confirmed 9.8. I was wrong. That appears to be the perceived value, as of today (or less if you consider that only 2 people were willing to pay that much, including myself, and another person who now has one).
yah, I saw that one. I was surprised it dropped almost 60% from the $1500 a few weeks ago. I was expecting closer to $1200. Maybe it's an outliner.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

I thought between 900 -1100 since u can buy 2 copies on there right now for 1150 and 1200 for the SS 9.8

Serpentor
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by Serpentor »

This book gives the appearance of being too plentiful. Either there is an initial mass dumping of books following release and the supply will disappear into collections soon, or this is going to drop in value. All IMO, of course :)

greg

Post by greg »

Serpentor wrote:This book gives the appearance of being too plentiful. Either there is an initial mass dumping of books following release and the supply will disappear into collections soon, or this is going to drop in value. All IMO, of course :)
This is actually pretty common for collectibles as they are released.

Let's be stereotypical for the sake of the argument. :D

Who owns these collectibles?

Pros = Retailers who want to sell high, but ultimately need to recover their costs
Moneybags = Gotta-have-it-now collectors who need one and view non-ownership as worse than overpaying
Whinypants = Wait-it-out collectors who need one but view overpaying as worse than non-ownership
Luckyducks = Collectors who obtain one significantly cheaper than the Moneybags
Nannybooboos = Already have one and might only buy another if they can pay less than before

So, when relatively expensive collectibles are first released, only Pros and Moneybags are involved for a while.
Pros sell to Moneybags and that lowers the numbers of Pros and Moneybags in the market.
Pros move on and Moneybags become Nannybooboos.

There might be a couple Luckyducks at first, but only because they're lucky by definition.
Whinypants are everywhere, usually still mad about the pre-order prices.

Everything that has happened so far was always going to happen. There are no surprises at first.

When there are more Pros than Moneybags, the price drops. That's where we are right now on X-O #1 1:500 Brushed Metal.

When the Pros miss finding Moneybags, they lower the price hoping to tempt the Whinypants.
As the price starts falling, some of the Whinypants hope to become Luckyducks if they wait longer.
Other Whinypants go ahead and buy so they can become Nannybooboos.

Here's where it gets fun. What happens next is hard to predict ahead of time...

When there are no more Pros, then the remaining Whinypants are stuck without one, and possibly there are even Moneybags without one. The price will rise.
As time goes by, Whinypants can also become Moneybags through frustration. At any time, new collectors can arrive and also be Moneybags or Whinypants. The price can rise higher.

However, if there are always Pros and the Moneybags are gone and all that's left are Whinypants, then many of those Whinypants are safe to try to wait longer and become Luckyducks... and the price can just keep falling.

It is actually very unusual for the price to be stable for the whole time. That would imply a perfect number were made and it would imply that Pros, Moneybags, and Whinypants all agreed on the same price. Seems unlikely.

No matter what happens, though, I think we can all agree we hate Luckyducks (unless we are one).

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

greg wrote: This is actually pretty common for collectibles as they are released.

Pros = Retailers who want to sell high, but ultimately need to recover their costs
Moneybags = Gotta-have-it-now collectors who need one and view non-ownership as worse than overpaying
Whinypants = Wait-it-out collectors who need one but view overpaying as worse than non-ownership
Nannybooboos = Already have one and might only buy another if they can pay less than before

So, when relatively expensive collectibles are first released, only Pros and Moneybags are involved for a while.
Pros sell to Moneybags and that lowers the numbers of Pros and Moneybags in the market.

There might be a couple Luckyducks at first, but only because they're lucky by definition.

Everything that has happened so far was always going to happen. There are no surprises at first.

When there are more Pros than Moneybags, the price drops. That's where we are right now on X-O #1 1:500 Brushed Metal.

When the Pros miss finding Moneybags, they lower the price hoping to tempt the Whinypants.
As the price starts falling, some of the Whinypants hope to become Luckyducks if they wait longer.

When there are no more Pros, then the remaining Whinypants are stuck without one, and possibly there are even Moneybags without one. The price will rise.
As time goes by, Whinypants can also become Moneybags through frustration. At any time, new collectors can arrive and also be Moneybags or Whinypants. The price can rise higher.

However, if there are always Pros and the Moneybags are gone and all that's left are Whinypants, then many of those Whinypants are safe to try to wait longer and become Luckyducks... and the price can just keep falling.

It is actually very unusual for the price to be stable for the whole time. That would imply a perfect number were made and it would imply that Pros, Moneybags, and Whinypants all agreed on the same price. Seems unlikely.

No matter what happens, though, I think we can all agree we hate Luckyducks (unless we are one).
This post is awesome!

Serpentor
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by Serpentor »

greg wrote:
Serpentor wrote:This book gives the appearance of being too plentiful. Either there is an initial mass dumping of books following release and the supply will disappear into collections soon, or this is going to drop in value. All IMO, of course :)
This is actually pretty common for collectibles as they are released.

Your understanding of human behavior and economics is most impressive :)

greg

Post by greg »

My personal preference is to be a silent Whinypants, waiting so long that I accidentally become a Luckyduck decades later, and then Nannybooboo my way to hoards. :thumb:
Once in a while I pretend I'm a Moneybags when I get a tax refund or something. :superstar:

It's very hard for me to imagine being a Pro, since that requires selling and selling is physically painful to me... so much so that I create websites to permanently mourn my losses. :cry:

http://www.valiantcollection.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Oh, man. So true. You could see this with the recent X-O gold which were selling at $200+. Pros were abound, and moneybags were buying. The supply of moneybags ran out, but the pros needed to move, so whinypants like me jumped in to get one at $50. Then there were a few luckyducks at $45ish. I was a nannybooboo, as I wanted one raw and one 9.8, so I bought a second (luckyduck purchase).

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
greg wrote: This is actually pretty common for collectibles as they are released.

This post is awesome!
+1 :thumb:
#StayValiant

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I am a whineypants but have decided to not play this one.
Great conversation guys.
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I was a Luckyduck that sold the book to a Moneybags. But I'm not a Pro or a NannyBooBoo.

I guess that makes me an Idiot. :lol:

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

I'm definitely a whineypants. :lol:

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by paradise »

I guess I am a Pro x3 :P
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

michael
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: none
Favorite title: EW
Favorite writer: Kirkman
Favorite artist: none

Post by michael »

jmatt wrote:I was a Luckyduck that sold the book to a Moneybags. But I'm not a Pro or a NannyBooBoo.

I guess that makes me an Idiot. :lol:
This makes you a Mastermind :thumb:

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I am a whinypants who, after inspection of my purchase, decided that if I kept it I was more a Moneybags than a Luckyduck, so I sent it back.

Also, Greg, you need to post this in the Most Valuable Modern Variants thread on the CGC boards.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

greg

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:Also, Greg, you need to post this in the Most Valuable Modern Variants thread on the CGC boards.
:hm: