VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2017 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2017 Solicitations

Post by jeremycoe »

http://www.newsarama.com/33674-valiant- ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

jeremycoe
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2017 Solicitations

Post by jeremycoe »

Faith ends with issue #12. Just in time for Harbinger: Renegade to start back up in July.

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Anyone else think the X-O trade being labeled "Volume 1" could be confusing to potential new readers?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Zhuge1 wrote:Anyone else think the X-O trade being labeled "Volume 1" could be confusing to potential new readers?
That is a strange choice considering the last series only ended in 2016...it's not like there's been 5-10 years between them.

Also, what's with the Shadowman look with the enchanted ropes? I thought the whole point of the Ninjak Deadside arc was that Jack wound up free of the bindings? Still, I like this supernatural team. Add in EW and Dr. Mirage and you'd have a real solid team of "Deadsiders."
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

jeremycoe wrote:Faith ends with issue #12. Just in time for Harbinger: Renegade to start back up in July.
I really thought Faith would last longer. At least this wasn't because of sales, it had more to do with the mega war coming up
Moose

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

BugsySig wrote: Also, what's with the Shadowman look with the enchanted ropes? I thought the whole point of the Ninjak Deadside arc was that Jack wound up free of the bindings? Still, I like this supernatural team. Add in EW and Dr. Mirage and you'd have a real solid team of "Deadsiders."
Good point. What is up with the ropes? I hope the story explains. Possibly anytime he enters the Deadside, the ropes reappear.

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:Faith ends with issue #12. Just in time for Harbinger: Renegade to start back up in July.
I really thought Faith would last longer. At least this wasn't because of sales, it had more to do with the mega war coming up
I don't think we honestly know what it was because of, just speculation all of it. :D

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

possumgrease wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Also, what's with the Shadowman look with the enchanted ropes? I thought the whole point of the Ninjak Deadside arc was that Jack wound up free of the bindings? Still, I like this supernatural team. Add in EW and Dr. Mirage and you'd have a real solid team of "Deadsiders."
Good point. What is up with the ropes? I hope the story explains. Possibly anytime he enters the Deadside, the ropes reappear.
Would be nice to see this book resolve some of the issues with Shadowman. I really hate what they've done with the character after the second Shadowman story arc.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Really sticking hard to that 6 book limit again here...

I'll be getting the Secret Weapons 1-4 pre-order bundle for sure! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Does it say for sure that Faith is ending? It might just be the final battle with the Faithless. I don't think Valiant should be cancelling any books when their line is only 6-7 strong...plus she is pictured in the Icons art.

Also, what happened to Ninjak? They didn't say anything about #27 being the final issue in the May solicits.

Also, seriously, another 6 book month? What is up with that? How are we supposed to be excited about only six books? I thought we were getting "all the toys" back this year, but through June, all we have is XO. I really hope they do that summit soon!

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:Does it say for sure that Faith is ending? It might just be the final battle with the Faithless. I don't think Valiant should be cancelling any books when their line is only 6-7 strong...plus she is pictured in the Icons art.

Also, what happened to Ninjak? They didn't say anything about #27 being the final issue in the May solicits.

Also, seriously, another 6 book month? What is up with that? How are we supposed to be excited about only six books? I thought we were getting "all the toys" back this year, but through June, all we have is XO. I really hope they do that summit soon!
The article at the top there specifically states "Final Issue" for Faith#12. With Harbinger resuming again the following month it seems a pretty reliable indicator that vol.2 of Faith is ending.

Although "Final Issue" hasn't been stated specifically for Ninjak#27, Rapture#1 is out in the same month so it seems as though Rapture is more or less a direct continuation of the Ninjak comic, albeit under a different title. It'll be most interesting to see what happens to Ninjak the month following Rapture#4 - I think it's pretty much out there in the open as far as the public is concerned right now.

These upcoming months where VEI are currently only putting out a few comics is fine with me. Quality over quantity :thumb: Having said that, like Magnet said above VEI told the public that they'd be getting all their 'big toys' out again this month and sure, XO's burst back on to the scene in a big way but I don't think Rapture was quite the reappearance of Shadowman that most were expecting/hoping for (although there are hints that this book is a starting point for Shadowman's return to the forefront of the VU afterwards, so we'll see...) and Harbinger's already on the table. Bloodshot is returning late in the year in Salvation. A+A is finished up and Divinity's had its run for the year.

To recap then, by the end of this year we'll have seen:

Shadowman
Ninjak
XO Manowar
Harbinger
Faith
Divinity
Bloodshot
Archer and Armstrong

When you look at it that way it does look as though VEI has kept their promise of getting all their big characters out again this year, but at the moment it doesn't feel to me as though the 'game with all the big toys' is going to be quite as exciting as we'd all hoped, given what we've already seen/know of some of the titles.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:Does it say for sure that Faith is ending? It might just be the final battle with the Faithless. I don't think Valiant should be cancelling any books when their line is only 6-7 strong...plus she is pictured in the Icons art.

Rapture is still going on, so maybe the Ninjak solo is on hold while he's part of that event.

As for Faith, I'm guessing the solo title will be back after the Harbinger event. Houser has been writing it since the original miniseries. They may use the downtime to either let her recharge or to get ready to introduce a new writer.

This 6 book month might be the new norm for a while. Valiant did say their new focus isn't on expansion but core characters. I can't wait until Dysart's Imperium finale hits. Also eager to see Rai and War Mother. I'm glad they've got Tama back in action with the Rapture mini. Kindt says she's one of his new favorites, so hopefully we'll have more Geomancer appearances going forward.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Shadowman99 wrote:

The article at the top there specifically states "Final Issue" for Faith#12. With Harbinger resuming again the following month it seems a pretty reliable indicator that vol.2 of Faith is ending.

Although "Final Issue" hasn't been stated specifically for Ninjak#27, Rapture#1 is out in the same month so it seems as though Rapture is more or less a direct continuation of the Ninjak comic, albeit under a different title. It'll be most interesting to see what happens to Ninjak the month following Rapture#4 - I think it's pretty much out there in the open as far as the public is concerned right now.

These upcoming months where VEI are currently only putting out a few comics is fine with me. Quality over quantity :thumb: Having said that, like Magnet said above VEI told the public that they'd be getting all their 'big toys' out again this month and sure, XO's burst back on to the scene in a big way but I don't think Rapture was quite the reappearance of Shadowman that most were expecting/hoping for (although there are hints that this book is a starting point for Shadowman's return to the forefront of the VU afterwards, so we'll see...) and Harbinger's already on the table. Bloodshot is returning late in the year in Salvation. A+A is finished up and Divinity's had its run for the year.

To recap then, by the end of this year we'll have seen:

Shadowman
Ninjak
XO Manowar
Harbinger
Faith
Divinity
Bloodshot
Archer and Armstrong

When you look at it that way it does look as though VEI has kept their promise of getting all their big characters out again this year, but at the moment it doesn't feel to me as though the 'game with all the big toys' is going to be quite as exciting as we'd all hoped, given what we've already seen/know of some of the titles.
I would be SHOCKED if SM has his own title before years end...SHOCKED

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

pixierosa wrote:

Rapture is still going on, so maybe the Ninjak solo is on hold while he's part of that event.

As for Faith, I'm guessing the solo title will be back after the Harbinger event. Houser has been writing it since the original miniseries. They may use the downtime to either let her recharge or to get ready to introduce a new writer.

This 6 book month might be the new norm for a while. Valiant did say their new focus isn't on expansion but core characters. I can't wait until Dysart's Imperium finale hits. Also eager to see Rai and War Mother. I'm glad they've got Tama back in action with the Rapture mini. Kindt says she's one of his new favorites, so hopefully we'll have more Geomancer appearances going forward.
Pixierosa:

I am anxiously waiting for this too. Is there something in the works currently or is this just wishful thinking? :hope:

Thanks,

Mkb28

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Ninjak 27 is being released in May alongside Rapture #1, but there is no explanation about whether it's a standalone issue or the start of an arc. It also doesn't make any mention about being a final issue. If it's going on hiatus, why not say so? I think the vagueries in their messaging are getting frustrating (imo), especially when some people are clearly nervous about their future.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

mkb28 wrote:
pixierosa wrote:

Pixierosa:

I am anxiously waiting for this too. Is there something in the works currently or is this just wishful thinking? :hope:

Thanks,

Mkb28
There's been some twitter comments about the story not being done and just wait and things like that from both Dino and Dysart. Dinesh has also teased War Mother returning eventually.
Thegreatmagnet wrote:Ninjak 27 is being released in May alongside Rapture #1, but there is no explanation about whether it's a standalone issue or the start of an arc. It also doesn't make any mention about being a final issue. If it's going on hiatus, why not say so? I think the vagueries in their messaging are getting frustrating (imo), especially when some people are clearly nervous about their future.
Do you mean the future of the title or the future of the company? At this point if anyone is worried about the company, they're pretty dumb. VEI has film and tv in development and are consistently making as much money off of their 6-10 titles/month as companies who publish 2-3 times that amount. They've never shipped a book late and employ several of the industry's top talents in both writing and art. They sell VALIANT titles in foreign countries and in foreign language editions. Their TPBs are starting to pop up in Barnes & Noble (I've personally seen Faith, Divinity and The Valiant at my local stores). And let's not forget Comixology sales, Amazon sales, convention sales, licensed merchandise sales (y'know like those POP! Vinyls and their t-shirts at Hot Topic)...They're not going anywhere anytime soon.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

In Dysart's AMA last year, he indicated that he would be returning to finish Imperium or finish where that story was leading.

"To that end, if you felt unsatisfied by the ending of Imperium, it's because it's not over yet. Satisfaction is coming. It's cooking now. Thanks for reading it!"

It seemed clear that he wouldn't be completing his envisioned redemption arc for Pete. He also indicated a desire to write Shadowman.

Interesting read through if you have the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/com ... h=993b96bf

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Thanks Bugsy and Possum. :thumb:

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

On the Facebook groups and on r/valiant (reddit), people are asking "is Valiant in trouble" right now. This includes some who are Podcasters, not just random fans.

As for film and TV, those projects are in development. on the latest OTV episode, they make a point to say that those projects are not in the bank until they actually start Production. We've been hearing about films for years, but there's not a lot of concrete news. For example, Harbinger is slated for a 2018 release, but so far no cast or director. Not a lot of time until 2018...

I'm not saying they are in trouble, but why let people speculate?

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=38849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=42431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:On the Facebook groups and on r/valiant (reddit), people are asking "is Valiant in trouble" right now. This includes some who are Podcasters, not just random fans.

As for film and TV, those projects are in development. on the latest OTV episode, they make a point to say that those projects are not in the bank until they actually start Production. We've been hearing about films for years, but there's not a lot of concrete news. For example, Harbinger is slated for a 2018 release, but so far no cast or director. Not a lot of time until 2018...

I'm not saying they are in trouble, but why let people speculate?
I would add that those people don't understand the film industry. I had heard about a Ryan Reynolds Deadpool movie for what seems like a decade before it actually happened (it was out there before Green Lantern was ever made). And even then it took Reynolds producing his own trailer in order to get enough interest to get it made!

It's easy to look at Marvel or DC, who are literally owned by movie production studios and can turn a film around in 1-2 years from announcement to theaters, and forget that it often takes years for movies to get made...if ever.

Even if those films never do get made, however, VEI is more than viable as a small comic book publisher in today's market. They're not a public company, so we may never know their costs, profits, debts, credits, etc...But simply by comparison to Dynamite, Boom!, IDW, Titan, etc, they appear to be just as competitive in publishing, with more licensing/merchandising agreements of their own, and without the added cost of IP licensing and creator-owned pay-outs.

If people are worried because their current strategy includes rotating in mini and maxi series, renumbering series, and not carrying ongoings past 25 or 50 issues...no one seems to think Marvel or DC is going under for doing that :?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

BugsySig wrote:If people are worried because their current strategy includes rotating in mini and maxi series, renumbering series, and not carrying ongoings past 25 or 50 issues...no one seems to think Marvel or DC is going under for doing that :?
To be fair... it's entirely possible that Marvel and DC publishing is not profitable. The movies are profitable, and the comics are a necessary component, but those parent companies may see comic publishing as "marketing" for the movies, rather than caring if the publishing arm is actually profitable.

The comparisons to smaller publishers, particularly those with licensing or creator-owned royalties are better examples... and Valiant is doing better "per book" than any of those.

Bkbboy
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite artist: Patrick Zircher

Post by Bkbboy »

So is Rapture or Secret Weapons Valiant's summer event this year? Or are they just minis and Valiant is foregoing an event this year?
Life, uh, finds a way.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Bkbboy wrote:So is Rapture or Secret Weapons Valiant's summer event this year? Or are they just minis and Valiant is foregoing an event this year?
No "Event" this year according to Dino. Just really heavy pushes for their new series like XO, Secret Weapons, Bloodshot: Salvation, and Rapture.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
BugsySig wrote:If people are worried because their current strategy includes rotating in mini and maxi series, renumbering series, and not carrying ongoings past 25 or 50 issues...no one seems to think Marvel or DC is going under for doing that :?
To be fair... it's entirely possible that Marvel and DC publishing is not profitable. The movies are profitable, and the comics are a necessary component, but those parent companies may see comic publishing as "marketing" for the movies, rather than caring if the publishing arm is actually profitable.

The comparisons to smaller publishers, particularly those with licensing or creator-owned royalties are better examples... and Valiant is doing better "per book" than any of those.
That's fair, re: Marvel/DC, but it's not like they weren't around for a long time before the recent film success--of Marvel at least...not sure what you'd call DC's movies, but their TV and direct to DVD movies are pretty successful.

I'm not saying movies/TV wouldn't help, but I do think their publishing is sustainable without them.