Divinity III #1 vs Komandar Bloodshot #1 for best Red Legend

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

onearmedwampa3000
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan
Divinity III #1 vs Komandar Bloodshot #1 for best Red Legend

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

Hello all! Merry New Year! Just wondering what the general feeling was about the Red Legend. Dinesh hyped her kind of late so I wonder what her impact will actually be. Cool concept. As for her appearances, her "first" was in Divinity III #1 from last week in a Darkseid-esque video screen group shot where she's in the back of the group. Very small appearance and no character insight. Then her origin was in this week's back up story in Komandar Bloodshot #1. Thin but a complete origin and first full shot of her in costume. Obviously Divinity IIi #1 is harder to find as a 1:50 but has very little of her in it. The Komandar Bloodshot #1 is a 1:20, not as rare, but has a lot more of her. This happens in Marvel and DC a lot where there isn't a definitive first appearance book leaving it constantly up for debate, even decades later (i.e. Darkseid, Taskmaster, Damian Wayne, Venom). I feel like this is the first time I've seen something like this in the Valiant Universe, at least current, and I find that very interesting and pretty cool. I am a nerd.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Divinity III #1 vs Komandar Bloodshot #1 for best Red Le

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Valiant has seemed to be pretty consistent regarding first appearances. Warmother is rumored to have her first appearance in Book of Death (although I call foul there, that book wasn't written regarding the year 4001, or any time near then). Ninjak's first, appearance, Bloodshot's first appearance, etc all revolve around a glimpse of the character, and in Bloodshot's situation, just one single panel.

Her first will always be Divinity III #1
Moose

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Divinity III #1 was released first, with the Red Legend depicted in full costume.

The creators also support the call that Divinity III #1 is the book.

onearmedwampa3000

DirtbagSailor wrote:Divinity III #1 was released first, with the Red Legend depicted in full costume.

Right. I'm not debating where she first appeared. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on the actual appearance and the character.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:Divinity III #1 was released first, with the Red Legend depicted in full costume.

Right. I'm not debating where she first appeared. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on the actual appearance and the character.
Red Legend has been in the works for sometime. It was announced in late 2015 / early 2016 that a ***NEW*** MAJOR female character along the lines of a Valiant Wonder Woman was in the works, and there was a LOT of speculation as to who that might be?

Myshka? :hm:

War Mother? :hm:

Would Savage be a woman? :?

Now we know that Red Legend is the character they were referring to, and if comparisons to Thor and Wonder Woman are being tossed around, I suspect it is an indication of a massive impact in the future of the Valiant Universe.

The origin story was very well crafted, and ties in nicely with the story of Divinity III as it appears to be unfolding. For a comic book universe to work, characters must exist with power levels up and down the spectrum. Personally, I'm looking forward to further revealing of her powers and abilities, and to the role that she plays in this larger (and expanding) Valiant Universe.

onearmedwampa3000

DirtbagSailor wrote:
onearmedwampa3000 wrote:

Red Legend has been in the works for sometime. It was announced in late 2015 / early 2016 that a ***NEW*** MAJOR female character along the lines of a Valiant Wonder Woman was in the works, and there was a LOT of speculation as to who that might be?

Myshka? :hm:

War Mother? :hm:

Would Savage be a woman? :?

Now we know that Red Legend is the character they were referring to, and if comparisons to Thor and Wonder Woman are being tossed around, I suspect it is an indication of a massive impact in the future of the Valiant Universe.

The origin story was very well crafted, and ties in nicely with the story of Divinity III as it appears to be unfolding. For a comic book universe to work, characters must exist with power levels up and down the spectrum. Personally, I'm looking forward to further revealing of her powers and abilities, and to the role that she plays in this larger (and expanding) Valiant Universe.
I'm glad you thought the origin story was well crafted. I thought it was good, maybe a bit too vague. I remember when they first started talking about this mystery female. I love the 3 characters we're talking about (Myshka, War Mother, Red Legend), I just hope they follow through with all of them. I was a huge fan of the War Monger character from Unity, but she has kind of been forgotten. Thought she was a great villain.

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

I'm very curious about the direction for Red Legend. Her mission seems to be to protect her people, i.e. the residents of her labor camp. Once she's removed from the context of the Stalinverse, who will she be driven to protect? Will she be aligned with some of the established powers, like MI-6 or G.A.T.E., or will she operate independently for a while?
I'm also curious how soon they will introduce a Red Legend title (I would assume a mini to start). I hope that it happens soon after the end of Divinity III to capitalize on the momentum from that series.

onearmedwampa3000

Thegreatmagnet wrote:I'm very curious about the direction for Red Legend. Her mission seems to be to protect her people, i.e. the residents of her labor camp. Once she's removed from the context of the Stalinverse, who will she be driven to protect? Will she be aligned with some of the established powers, like MI-6 or G.A.T.E., or will she operate independently for a while?
I'm also curious how soon they will introduce a Red Legend title (I would assume a mini to start). I hope that it happens soon after the end of Divinity III to capitalize on the momentum from that series.
Great questions. I've noticed one thing Valiant can sometimes loose sight of is character momentum, i.e. War Mother, Harbinger's absence for so long, Shadowman coming out of the Ninjak arc (that one still burns). Looking forward to seeing how Divinity III unfolds, the first issue was a great set up!

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Maybe when she emerges from Stalinverse she will seek out the versions of her mother and tribe that exist in the main continuity. Then she'll have to decide whether to watch over them, even if they're not technically the same people and retain no memory of her.

ironherc
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:I'm very curious about the direction for Red Legend. Her mission seems to be to protect her people, i.e. the residents of her labor camp. Once she's removed from the context of the Stalinverse, who will she be driven to protect? Will she be aligned with some of the established powers, like MI-6 or G.A.T.E., or will she operate independently for a while?

That's what I'm wondering a lot, either she will jump directly to the regular universe or use a version of her that's very similar but slightly different since she wasn't raised in a communist ruled world, but that wouldn't be good since there would be no point of introducing her here and then just use a different version. We will have to wait and see.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Anybody have an extra Divinity III 1:50 Gorham?
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

What is considered a first appearance is sometimes rather weak. If a book like Book Of Death 1 is War Mother's first or D3 is Red Legends...there's not enough to know who those characters are. I feel like War Mother's true first is her one-shot from 4001 A.D. and yes, I know Valiant said what they said. But, there's nothing really there in BoD to go off of. Same with Red Legend, one panel with nothing to go off of versus a back-up in Kommander Bloodshot. Just my opinion.

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Not to mention that Red Legend'a first appearance was a whopping 1 week before her much more substantive origin in Kommandar Bloodshot. She didn't even speak in Divinity III #1, right?

onearmedwampa3000

Joshua wrote:What is considered a first appearance is sometimes rather weak. If a book like Book Of Death 1 is War Mother's first or D3 is Red Legends...there's not enough to know who those characters are. I feel like War Mother's true first is her one-shot from 4001 A.D. and yes, I know Valiant said what they said. But, there's nothing really there in BoD to go off of. Same with Red Legend, one panel with nothing to go off of versus a back-up in Kommander Bloodshot. Just my opinion.
Right on, I agree. That's kind of why I posed this question in the first place. Your War Mother example is perfect, that's why I loaded up on those books, but like I said, Valiant has the habit of loosing momentum on things people really dig. People loved that WM book.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

JCP wrote:Anybody have an extra Divinity III 1:50 Gorham?

Give it time and more will be made available and much cheaper on ebay.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I'm hopeful that war mother becomes a ongoing even for a year.
I Miss the good old days.

JCP
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

FormerReader wrote:

That's what I was thinking.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

onearmedwampa3000

JCP wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

I disagree. They are still selling at $100 or better, another one just last night. If any of the characters that had first appearances in this book catch, or if Red Legend becomes what Valiant has promoted her as, then this could be a pretty big book.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:
JCP wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

I disagree. They are still selling at $100 or better, another one just last night. If any of the characters that had first appearances in this book catch, or if Red Legend becomes what Valiant has promoted her as, then this could be a pretty big book.

You may be right, I may be wrong. We'll have to wait and see. How many "key" characters has Valiant put out that were supposed to be huge that we haven't heard from and whose 1st appearances have little value. Bleeding Monk, War Mother, Roku to name a few. Just because some people have bought into the hype game doesn't mean it to be true. Keep in mind this book is not "rare"

Then again, Shadowman #5 and #13 variants are $100 plus books for smaller characters so I could be wrong.

My thought is until a character is actually shown to be a critical new character, then the value is not justified.

onearmedwampa3000

FormerReader wrote:
onearmedwampa3000 wrote:
JCP wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

You may be right, I may be wrong. We'll have to wait and see. How many "key" characters has Valiant put out that were supposed to be huge that we haven't heard from and whose 1st appearances have little value. Bleeding Monk, War Mother, Roku to name a few. Just because some people have bought into the hype game doesn't mean it to be true. Keep in mind this book is not "rare"

Then again, Shadowman #5 and #13 variants are $100 plus books for smaller characters so I could be wrong.

My thought is until a character is actually shown to be a critical new character, then the value is not justified.
All valid points. However, considering that Valiant is still in it's infancy, especially when compared to Marvel and DC, I'd say at least Bleeding Monk and Roku are pretty important characters in the story space that they occupy. Not everything can be Divinity. Mirage got her own ongoing, but the concept was a carry-over from VH1, so it wasn't as risky as giving Punk Mambo or War Mother their own titles. You're right, we'll just have to wait, but personally I don't mind investing in these characters as long as the story is compelling and I can afford to (which I can't but do anyway).

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Wouldn't it be interesting if valiant had plans to keep the Stalinverse universe going by doing a red legend ongoing after the Divinity series ends. That would be a great way to introduce a new universe and a whole bunch of adventures with a all woman's team in a brand new epic universe. It would only work if it was a seamless transition right after Divinity #4
With not long wait time.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Wouldn't it be interesting if valiant had plans to keep the Stalinverse universe going by doing a red legend ongoing after the Divinity series ends. That would be a great way to introduce a new universe and a whole bunch of adventures with a all woman's team in a brand new epic universe. It would only work if it was a seamless transition right after Divinity #4
With not long wait time.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:Not to mention that Red Legend'a first appearance was a whopping 1 week before her much more substantive origin in Kommandar Bloodshot. She didn't even speak in Divinity III #1, right?
Where did she appear in Divinity III #1? I missed that.

onearmedwampa3000

jmatt wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:Not to mention that Red Legend'a first appearance was a whopping 1 week before her much more substantive origin in Kommandar Bloodshot. She didn't even speak in Divinity III #1, right?
Midway through the book in a blink-and-you-miss panel of a tv screen with 4 other characters. Very Superman's Pal-esque.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Midway through the book in a blink-and-you-miss panel of a tv screen with 4 other characters. Very Superman's Pal-esque.
The second to last page of the main story... behind Myshka and Kostiy.