Matt Kindt and the new XO Manowar

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Matt Kindt and the new XO Manowar

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:Wooo another book by Matt Kindt. [amount of sarcasm to be interpreted by the reader]
:funnypost:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

lorddunlow wrote:I like Kindt a lot, but I guess this means we'll discover a really stupid meaning to X-O letters... (Seriously, dude has some weird alphabet pun fetish).
I had this discussion with a board member, who couldn't wait for
B-O Manowar (which sounds like a great Rafer Roberts commission!) :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Donovan wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I like Kindt a lot, but I guess this means we'll discover a really stupid meaning to X-O letters... (Seriously, dude has some weird alphabet pun fetish).
I had this discussion with a board member, who couldn't wait for
B-O Manowar (which sounds like a great Rafer Roberts commission!) :lol:
That dude really stinks with his armor on. :wink: :P
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Wooo another book by Matt Kindt. [amount of sarcasm to be interpreted by the reader]
I like Kindt but I was hoping for new blood. This was chance for a complete change. Valiant just keeps recycling the same writers.

That said, I hope for all the best.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

jmatt wrote:
I like Kindt but I was hoping for new blood. This was chance for a complete change. Valiant just keeps recycling the same writers.

Who do you dislike among the recycled?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:

I dont dislike Kindt. Ive enjoyed some of the things he's done, but his style overall isn't my favorite. I think he has a lot of great ideas but doesn't always execute them to their fullest potential.

I much prefer Dysart, FVL or Jen Van Meter from the VALIANT stable of writers, and I'm sad/frustrated that JD and Robert Venditti have yet to be announced on any other books.

I think the art looks fantastic, and VEI has done a great job bringing in different artists over time, but I think they've been less successful at bringing in new writers to their "core" group. Lemire might be done and guys like Justin Jordan have never come back.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

jeremycoe wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
MATT KINDT: The thing I love about the character is he’s sort of like a caveman in a high-tech suit of armor. That was always what appealed to me about the character, and something we haven’t tapped into a lot. That’s how I approach all my stories: What would it be like if this really happened? If this guy’s in a suit of armor, what would be the psychology of that? You have this guy who’s never seen a cell phone, let alone armor that can fly into space. I wanted to approach it that way and see what that does to a guy, sort of reboot him and bring back his roots in terms of making him a barbarian again, throwing him on an alien planet that’s more low-tech, more like the time he came from.
So Venditti spent 50+ issues evolving this character, developing an awareness of a modern mindset in Aric that he realised he needed to exhibit himself in order to fit in to the new world.

Now Kindt is putting the character right back on square *SQUEE* one again by reverting him to a primitive, barbaric mindset?

*SQUEE* -ing Kindt. "Who cares what anyone else has done with a character, as long as I get to play with the toys the way I want to play with them that's all that matters". Just take what Vendetti spent two years building and
:bricks:
But if you pay attention to the part of the quote after what you bolded, "throwing him on an alien planet that's more low-tech, more like the time he came from", it sounds like Kindt is honoring what Venditti has done. Aric's situation has just changed. He has to adjust to his surroundings again. A big part of Venditti's run was about Aric adjusting to his new surroundings, it would not make sense for Aric to not adjust to a new surrounding just because it forces him to be more barbaric.
I absolutely understand what you're saying, and it most certainly does make sense - to me, what would be more interesting now the Venditti's built an 'Intelligent Aric' for us would be to put him on this 'barbarian planet' and have him relate to the problems there using his new maturity and proven leadership skills to solve the problems via non-/less violent means, rather than resorting to the 'Cave Skulls In Aric' that Venditti gave us at the start of his run. That'd be the mature way to handle this situation (even if he just starts out that way and realises, after a time, that that approach simply won't work and he has no other choice than to handle the situation using an intentionally-applied 'barbarian mentality'). Right now it seems to me that Kindt's just ignoring that and is more or less saying "I want to write Barbarian Aric [right from the get-go] so that's what I'm going to do, regardless of Venditti's character development". I guess time will tell once the book hits the shelves and we'll see if I've got the wrong impression or not.

Also, where is this 'antagonistic armour' idea coming from? To date the armour's done nothing but preserve Aric's health and we saw in the BoD Aric One-Shot that he maintains a good relationship with the armour well into the future. I'm sure this interim period can be put out there if well-written, but frankly it seems like a bizarre idea to me :?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I dont dislike Kindt. Ive enjoyed some of the things he's done, but his style overall isn't my favorite. I think he has a lot of great ideas but doesn't always execute them to their fullest potential.

I much prefer Dysart, FVL or Jen Van Meter from the VALIANT stable of writers, and I'm sad/frustrated that JD and Robert Venditti have yet to be announced on any other books.

I think the art looks fantastic, and VEI has done a great job bringing in different artists over time, but I think they've been less successful at bringing in new writers to their "core" group. Lemire might be done and guys like Justin Jordan have never come back.
For what it's worth I tweeted Jordan a few months ago about the idea of hypothetically working on a Shadowman title in the future and he was pretty easy about the idea of working with VEI again in the future. I don't think, in his case at least, there's any bad blood and I'd imagine that's probably the same for other writers in most cases - perhaps some writers just aren't pitching VEI stories with these characters for whatever reason :?

I'm with you on "another Kindt title though". Like you I get on well enough with most of his VEI work but it just feels to me like the VU is quickly turning into the KU.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I'm a bit behind on X-O, but in Unity, we saw a pretty simple Aric. He sees things in black and white, generally. I'm not sure this is a departure, per se.

Awesome Kindt Valiant book:
Rai
Divinity
Ninjak
The Valiant

I loved Kindt pre-Valiant. Quirky, intelligent, and thoughtful stories, out of the mainstream. That's where he came from - out of the mainstream, and his writing shows the same. Unity had some very cool Kindt moments. I really liked the flashback Unity teams. The 1930's was my favorite. Of course, there were some low lights for that series (issue 25 anyone?),

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
MATT KINDT: The thing I love about the character is he’s sort of like a caveman in a high-tech suit of armor. That was always what appealed to me about the character, and something we haven’t tapped into a lot. That’s how I approach all my stories: What would it be like if this really happened? If this guy’s in a suit of armor, what would be the psychology of that? You have this guy who’s never seen a cell phone, let alone armor that can fly into space. I wanted to approach it that way and see what that does to a guy, sort of reboot him and bring back his roots in terms of making him a barbarian again, throwing him on an alien planet that’s more low-tech, more like the time he came from.
So Venditti spent 50+ issues evolving this character, developing an awareness of a modern mindset in Aric that he realised he needed to exhibit himself in order to fit in to the new world.

Now Kindt is putting the character right back on square *SQUEE* one again by reverting him to a primitive, barbaric mindset?

*SQUEE* -ing Kindt. "Who cares what anyone else has done with a character, as long as I get to play with the toys the way I want to play with them that's all that matters". Just take what Vendetti spent two years building and
I noticed this as well. I have a problem with it. Totally ignoring growth of a character is a very Bendis thing to do.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

I noticed this as well. I have a problem with it. Totally ignoring growth of a character is a very Bendis thing to do.

I hear where you all are coming from, I really do. But I offer this up for thought knowing you guys know a shyt ton more about comics than I do.

Think Superman. Think how far Superman went before DC started exploring different chinks in his armor/psychy? Seems like eternity from when Superman started until the bad guys got the upper hand/beat him, let alone KILL him. Now think of today's comic reader, would they go so long without any REAL turmoil? No major conflict? Today's reader is a far quicker study of these characters than there ever has been. How long would they hold onto a Superman like figure in today's world? My guess, it wouldn't barely last a year.

He's evolved now since the end of VDitty's run, would you want 50 issues of talking through conflict versus a rebirth? I can see it now, XO arrives on planet whatever, oh no, they are violent! XO talks them down and they all avoid war. Issue #4, XO arrives on planet Same Damn Thing, Oh no, they don't like the armor! XO talks them down and they avoid war! Issue #7 CONFLICT! XO arrives on planet.... I think you get the point, there just isn't anymore evolution to that character. Maybe I am wrong, and maybe that would sell, or something like that would sell.

Is this what you are comfortable with? No, but maybe that is needed. 50 issues is a massive run for this small company, if they want another 50 issues, you have to create conflict, have your characters be flawed, show growth. Change sucks sometimes, but sometimes it's needed.
Moose

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

I hear where you all are coming from, I really do. But I offer this up for thought knowing you guys know a shyt ton more about comics than I do.

Think Superman. Think how far Superman went before DC started exploring different chinks in his armor/psychy? Seems like eternity from when Superman started until the bad guys got the upper hand/beat him, let alone KILL him. Now think of today's comic reader, would they go so long without any REAL turmoil? No major conflict? Today's reader is a far quicker study of these characters than there ever has been. How long would they hold onto a Superman like figure in today's world? My guess, it wouldn't barely last a year.

He's evolved now since the end of VDitty's run, would you want 50 issues of talking through conflict versus a rebirth? I can see it now, XO arrives on planet whatever, oh no, they are violent! XO talks them down and they all avoid war. Issue #4, XO arrives on planet Same Damn Thing, Oh no, they don't like the armor! XO talks them down and they avoid war! Issue #7 CONFLICT! XO arrives on planet.... I think you get the point, there just isn't anymore evolution to that character. Maybe I am wrong, and maybe that would sell, or something like that would sell.

Is this what you are comfortable with? No, but maybe that is needed. 50 issues is a massive run for this small company, if they want another 50 issues, you have to create conflict, have your characters be flawed, show growth. Change sucks sometimes, but sometimes it's needed.
We've only just revealed the first glimpses at what's to come in X-O Manowar (2017). Lots more to be unveiled! What we're doing with the new series couldn't have been done without having first taken Aric on the journey he went through in X-O Manowar (2012). We're building on top of that. It will, as are all our #1 issues, be a starting place for new readers. But don't mistake that to mean the journey from barbarian to leader wasn't essential in Aric becoming a Solider, a General, an Emperor and a Visigoth once more. We wanted to tell this story when we launched but we needed to lay the foundation of the character first and use that growth to bring him here. I can very confidently say that the best X-O Manowar stories are still to come.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

dino wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

We've only just revealed the first glimpses at what's to come in X-O Manowar (2017). Lots more to be unveiled! What we're doing with the new series couldn't have been done without having first taken Aric on the journey he went through in X-O Manowar (2012). We're building on top of that. It will, as are all our #1 issues, be a starting place for new readers. But don't mistake that to mean the journey from barbarian to leader wasn't essential in Aric becoming a Solider, a General, an Emperor and a Visigoth once more. We wanted to tell this story when we launched but we needed to lay the foundation of the character first and use that growth to bring him here. I can very confidently say that the best X-O Manowar stories are still to come.
Fits time i saw the board superstar.

dino wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

Will i be surprised if some sort of Valiant Space Atlas thing will be presented in the relative near future?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

dino wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

Dino, however you throw it down, I'm gonna give it a fair shake. It's your roller coaster, I'm just riding the damn thing :thumb: :headbang:
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Sven the Returned wrote:Who do you dislike among the recycled?
It's not that I dislike any of them. I just thought it was a good opportunity to throw a new flavor into the Valiant stew.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:

Lemire might be done and guys like Justin Jordan have never come back.
This bothers me more than anything. I know things have to change, but it really feels like VEI is missing something without these guys.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

jmatt wrote:
It's not that I dislike any of them. I just thought it was a good opportunity to throw a new flavor into the Valiant stew.
Like who?

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

dino wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

Thanks for responding Dino! I'm going to buy it, I'm one who frankly wishes it were issue #51 as start/stop annoys me. Slapping a #1 on there just to trick retailers is pretty lame. Market the book as a starting point for any newbie...but I digress.

I'm not saying I think the book would work longterm with "Aric as diplomat" as another suggested. It just feels from the sample we've been given that a regression of the character is going to happen and that bums me somewhat. Like many here I'm a long time VALIANT reader since the 90's and respect what you and your investors did to bring these characters back. So understand when I say I am thankful, I'm just a bit tunnel visioned on this one topic for the moment....till I get to the Gen Zero announcemt! :wink:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Sven the Returned wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Like who?
Use your imagination. Pick any great comic writer. Alan Moore. How about that?

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

jmatt wrote:
Sven the Returned wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Like who?
Use your imagination. Pick any great comic writer. Alan Moore. How about that?
Could you see him as a long term company guy or just a fly by wizard?

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Just because someone wants someone new, doesn't mean he needs to have a replacement lined up. Especially when he has zero control over who that person would be.

Joshua
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

This bothers me more than anything. I know things have to change, but it really feels like VEI is missing something without these guys.

I had made a comment sometime back to Justin Jordan about coming back, one of those fan comments we all make about how much I liked his work and he made it sound like he likes these characters. I don't know everything that goes into getting anyone to work for Valiant but I do really like his work.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Joshua wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

I had made a comment sometime back to Justin Jordan about coming back, one of those fan comments we all make about how much I liked his work and he made it sound like he likes these characters. I don't know everything that goes into getting anyone to work for Valiant but I do really like his work.
+1 to all the above. I know we can't expect to keep all the same creative teams or individuals for all time, but I miss a bunch of these guys who haven't been on a Valiant title in a while. Would love to see anyone mentioned above come back to write again.

And I'm also onboard with jmatts thoughts - I'd like to see them pull in someone else new anytime as well. I'm already liking what B. Clay Moore is doing just one issue into Savage, would be great if he gets more work following that series.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Captain Craig wrote:
dino wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

Thanks for responding Dino! I'm going to buy it, I'm one who frankly wishes it were issue #51 as start/stop annoys me. Slapping a #1 on there just to trick retailers is pretty lame. Market the book as a starting point for any newbie...but I digress.

I'm not saying I think the book would work longterm with "Aric as diplomat" as another suggested. It just feels from the sample we've been given that a regression of the character is going to happen and that bums me somewhat. Like many here I'm a long time VALIANT reader since the 90's and respect what you and your investors did to bring these characters back. So understand when I say I am thankful, I'm just a bit tunnel visioned on this one topic for the moment....till I get to the Gen Zero announcemt! :wink:
Whilst I respect that Moose's suggestion is purely hypothetical for the sake of example, I think that it's very much an extreme representation of what I was suggesting, and because of that I absolutely agree that 'XO Diplomat' :lol: would undoubtedly be a comic that could achieve no other outcome besides digging its own grave. What we're discussing here is clearly a range between 'XO Barbarian' and 'XO Diplomat' and my suggestion is that the character needs to effectively be balanced between the two extremes: however, the aspect of this that will make the comic work, fundamentally, is Aric's fluidity between the extremes according to the extent to which circumstance enables Aric to exert his influence on a conflict situation. This may very well be why we'll see 'XO Barbarian' in this upcoming Kindt story and so long as that's contextualised credibly then Aric handling the situation as a 'barbarian' will be justified (although personally I don't think it'd be right for Aric to immediately discard his newly-developed 'civilised' diplomatic skills without having tried to apply them to the situation first), but the impression that I've got from reading Kindt's comments in the latest articles about the upcoming series suggest to me that Kindt isn't paying too much attention to Venditti's character development and is more interested in doing what he wants to do with the character.

This is why Dinesh's comments about this story building on Venditti's previous work are somewhat reassuring. Despite my impressions of Kindt's apparent approach to the character I can't imagine that such complete disregard for previous character development, not to mention how recently the former series ended in relation to the start of work on the new series, would be accepted by VEI editorial. If Venditti's work is truly the foundation to the next series of XO Manowar as Dinesh claims then that can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, I'd love to be wrong about the way I currently feel Kindt seems to be handling his approach to the character because above all else I'm hoping that Kindt's run is going to be every bit as great as Venditti's, so here's hoping
:hope:

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
Joshua wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

+1 to all the above. I know we can't expect to keep all the same creative teams or individuals for all time, but I miss a bunch of these guys who haven't been on a Valiant title in a while. Would love to see anyone mentioned above come back to write again.

And I'm also onboard with jmatts thoughts - I'd like to see them pull in someone else new anytime as well. I'm already liking what B. Clay Moore is doing just one issue into Savage, would be great if he gets more work following that series.
We all know VEI's motto is "best story wins", so perhaps it's simply the case that new writers simply aren't successfully pitching stories to VEI for whatever reason :?