Long Term Collectability of modern comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Long Term Collectability of modern comics

Post by nycjadie »

I see lots of young folks at shows. I was in line this year next to a 22 year old woman who bought a Vol 1 Defenders 1 to get signed. Very cool. However, most of the books she consume are digital and trades. I think young people are there. Their consumption is just different, and time will tell if floppies are what they get nostalgic about, or whether TPBs and digital is what they will prefer 20 years from now.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I could see in the future floppies getting released to signify a digital comic or movie but ya main stream comics may go. But it's not really logical because with out comics how exciting would cons be. Isn't that the point. If you elimate comics then what's left. I won't buy digital I don't like paying for nothing and I don't see digital as getting something when I know pulse could freak out somewhere and send the world into darkness and all digital would be gone.
I Miss the good old days.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

nonplayer wrote:I could see in the future floppies getting released to signify a digital comic or movie but ya main stream comics may go. But it's not really logical because with out comics how exciting would cons be. Isn't that the point. If you elimate comics then what's left. I won't buy digital I don't like paying for nothing and I don't see digital as getting something when I know pulse could freak out somewhere and send the world into darkness and all digital would be gone.
If something happened to send the world into darkness I don't think we'll be worried about digital OR physical comics at that point :)
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

jeremycoe wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I could see in the future floppies getting released to signify a digital comic or movie but ya main stream comics may go. But it's not really logical because with out comics how exciting would cons be. Isn't that the point. If you elimate comics then what's left. I won't buy digital I don't like paying for nothing and I don't see digital as getting something when I know pulse could freak out somewhere and send the world into darkness and all digital would be gone.
If something happened to send the world into darkness I don't think we'll be worried about digital OR physical comics at that point :)
Speak for yourself. I'll grab my copies of TWD before I leave the house. Think of them as survival manuals!

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Curious no one has mentioned Bone yet. I'm not a huge fan of it, but the fact that it's been reprinted so many times and now Scholastic is behind the book means kids will grow up reading it. Could they one day be interested in tracking down a copy of Bone #1?
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

chriskay99 wrote:Curious no one has mentioned Bone yet. I'm not a huge fan of it, but the fact that it's been reprinted so many times and now Scholastic is behind the book means kids will grow up reading it. Could they one day be interested in tracking down a copy of Bone #1?

I'e never had 1 person ask for one issue of Bone. I've read the 1st like 6 TPBs with my kids and really liked the story.

But I see no demand for the singles.

But that could change in like 10 yrs or so.

Intrepidxc

Post by Intrepidxc »

Elveen wrote:
chriskay99 wrote:Curious no one has mentioned Bone yet. I'm not a huge fan of it, but the fact that it's been reprinted so many times and now Scholastic is behind the book means kids will grow up reading it. Could they one day be interested in tracking down a copy of Bone #1?

I'e never had 1 person ask for one issue of Bone. I've read the 1st like 6 TPBs with my kids and really liked the story.

I agree, I don't see the appeal of Bone, but then I've never read an issue. It's not a book i'm chasing for sure.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Intrepidxc wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I agree, I don't see the appeal of Bone, but then I've never read an issue. It's not a book i'm chasing for sure.
If any of you come across ANY copies of ANY Bone issues in CGC 9.8.... Hook me up. I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Ricomortis wrote:
Intrepidxc wrote:
Elveen wrote:

If any of you come across ANY copies of ANY Bone issues in CGC 9.8.... Hook me up. I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

There are some great indie books that very few people likely ask for. Cerebus 1 or Love and Rockets come to mind. Eightball.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Intrepidxc wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
Speak for yourself. I'll grab my copies of TWD before I leave the house. Think of them as survival manuals!

:funnypost:
Couldn't have said it better my self. I don't think I'd pack up all my comics but for sure a few if not a short box will come with me. If anything fire starter.

eschnit
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by eschnit »

In my opinion Greg's explanation is pretty spot on. Collectability is about supply and demand. TMNT #1 is that perfect storm of both very short supply and high demand, both sides matter.

Now, where to spend 100k say on modern vs copper vs bronze vs silver vs gold in today's valuations, that's another question. I think if you're investing in comics, you need to be lucky and good, and very targeted to have a chance, long term anyway.

Intrepidxc

Post by Intrepidxc »

eschnit wrote:In my opinion Greg's explanation is pretty spot on. Collectability is about supply and demand. TMNT #1 is that perfect storm of both very short supply and high demand, both sides matter.

Now, where to spend 100k say on modern vs copper vs bronze vs silver vs gold in today's valuations, that's another question. I think if you're investing in comics, you need to be lucky and good, and very targeted to have a chance, long term anyway.
I agree for the most part, but I suspect there are some foolproof investments such as AF 15, Tec 27, Action 1. I don't have the money for those foolproof investments, but I think they are available.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

One more quick thought...
Think of which comics you feel "personally connected to"... books that you loved as a child or books that you WISHED you could own as a teenager.
As an adult, you might have all of those... or still have some on your wish list. You still "feel something" for those books.

Now, how many people "feel something" for coins? Stamps? Remember your favorite Saturday morning cartoon about coins? Your stamp collection action figure? Coin lunchbox? No? Me neither.
No billion dollar movies about coins. No binge-watching TV series about stamps. Those two hobbies have zero "nostalgia" and pretty much all the reasons that those hobbies should have died by now.

Are those hobbies dead? Will they die soon? Unlikely. Ebay.com shows 3.9MILLION auctions for stamps. A million auctions for U.S. coins.
The comic hobby falls in between these two as far the number of as auctions go... with the added bonus of billions of dollars of movies and millions of people who now recognize characters as obscure as Enchantress, Amanda Waller, and Ajax (Francis!).

Yes, all "antiquated hobbies" are in danger of having their collectors die out... but until stamps and coins go the way of pogs and tulip bulbs... I think comics are safe as a hobby which will have lots of followers.

I don't think "rare" variants of 21st century Spider-man comics where nothing happens are a good investment at $2,000+, but I do think that first appearances of characters who people CARE about are worth collecting as long as you care about them, too.

Ladakh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by Ladakh »

I personally think that commissions and original art is the way to go as far as collectible. Unique pieces numbered to less than 1,000 are worth their weight in gold.

As far as reprint TPBs go- I have a nearly complete set of Sandman. But I won't read them... I'll read the TPBs instead and not damage the book from another reading.

What's missing and what's important is that the other half is not there... there's no one hoarding any VEI books apart from Greg and Sonic!!!

These days, $4.00 is not pocket change; it's an investment. And I don't want my investments to ruin. I was lucky enough to grow up with 50 cent comics and I had a $5.00 allowance!

All I see is a dragon eating it's tail... I suggest everyone invest in unique items that are numbered from honest people who just want to see it happen! People like me!!!

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Knob Row wrote:I personally think that commissions and original art is the way to go as far as collectible. Unique pieces numbered to less than 1,000 are worth their weight in gold.

As far as reprint TPBs go- I have a nearly complete set of Sandman. But I won't read them... I'll read the TPBs instead and not damage the book from another reading.

What's missing and what's important is that the other half is not there... there's no one hoarding any VEI books apart from Greg and Sonic!!!

These days, $4.00 is not pocket change; it's an investment. And I don't want my investments to ruin. I was lucky enough to grow up with 50 cent comics and I had a $5.00 allowance!

All I see is a dragon eating it's tail... I suggest everyone invest in unique items that are numbered from honest people who just want to see it happen! People like me!!!
Because your the only trustful person right. All other projects are scams.

Intrepidxc

Post by Intrepidxc »

:popcorn:

Intrepidxc

Post by Intrepidxc »

I appreciate everyone's input, it's great to see the varying thoughts on the hobby.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

My basic basic thoughts on "modern" comics are ....

Everything will get old. There will , of course be collectible and valuable comics from this time period.
But tread carefully.

"Flipping" modern comics is a totally different game and there is TONS of cash in that game. Stacks

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Intrepidxc wrote:Great discussion guys. I'm enjoying seeing your thoughts.

Here is another question. Will key issues remain key issues in the future? Here are a couple books for discussion:

Batman #232 - First Ra's al Guhl
House of Secrets #92 - First Swamp Thing

Thoughts?
Both undervalued, as are many similar books still from that era. The interest and prices grow when the grouping underneath them become unaffordable, or something perks them up tv film wise. Ras app in Batman begins was a few years back now so another app would certainly help. ST tv shows of days gone didnt help lol, but with Wrightson and Moore attached to St the HOS 92 and run in general will always have its followers. HOS 92 thouh should be a gem much higher due its rarity in higher grades. My copy is good at best :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Draco

Post by Draco »

Knob Row wrote:I personally think that commissions and original art is the way to go as far as collectible. Unique pieces numbered to less than 1,000 are worth their weight in gold.

Not sure anything thats made in a quantity of less than 1000 is automatically worth anything, too many variables still.
I know plenty of people both sides of the pond who hoard VEI :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Until the announcement of the end of the series, I thought Invincible was just one, well-crafted animated series away from being the next big thing.

Like Greg pointed out, the Big Keys from this era will have to come from books that changed pop culture and, as of now, it seems TWD is the only candidate from the list. Of course, that doesn't mean that there won't other books that still hold significant value, but they will never have ASM 15 type value.

Unfortunately, most of what we buy ends up like this this abomination I saw on Craigslist today:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/clt/5969388149.html

Draco

Post by Draco »

possumgrease wrote:Until the announcement of the end of the series, I thought Invincible was just one, well-crafted animated series away from being the next big thing.

Like Greg pointed out, the Big Keys from this era will have to come from books that changed pop culture and, as of now, it seems TWD is the only candidate from the list. Of course, that doesn't mean that there won't other books that still hold significant value, but they will never have ASM 15 type value.

Unfortunately, most of what we buy ends up like this this abomination I saw on Craigslist today:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/clt/5969388149.html

lol its not pretty is it, but in the UK people treat comics altogether differently, I should take pictures of the boxes and scrunched up bags im offered week after week :)

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

nycjadie wrote:I agree. I think it's a " graying" hobby, as other hobbies have been labeled. I try and make my collection as net zero as possible by selling because I figure most of it will be worthless. And hey, I enjoy it immensely and perhaps to those books Ive always wanted will be that much more attainable

I just bought GA Hit Comics 4th appearance of Kid Eternity (can't recall the number) for $40 in F. Where did I get it? At a store! I haven't seen those kind of deals in a long time.
I think that tablets are where monthly comics will move to in the end, rather than paper publishing. But I'd bet that the good ol' TPB will stick around for a good time longer.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

out of sight out of mind right? twd and other modern comics need to stay in the public interest if they will gain and or retain value.

sure TWD has made great waves but i don't see any lasting power. 50 years from now it will be easier to remember a god character in red and blue tights and a giant "S" than it will be to remember that show about zombies with the guy that was a sherif who had a kid and that one character with a hat and the girl with the gun.

it is entirely possible TWD could last the test of 50 years. That's all up to the skill of the IP owners.

:twocents:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I can't help but feel that calling monthlies "floppies" has a slightly negative context to it that contributes in a small sum to the diminishing monthly sales in favor of things like Trades. Almost as if the trade crowd has a collecting arrogance about them when saying it. I remember I worked with this one guy at the college I used to work at who would talk like that as if it was the newest and coolest catch phrase... "I'm thinking about making the switch to trades (stabs finger like someone out of Office Space)..... that way I won't be buying the floppies anymore (while moving head left and right in a plane along his shoulder line as if he just said something jivey and sharp).

Weird story, I know but I'm a master at reading the micro expressions of the foolish.