In your opinion, most important character(s) in Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

In your opinion, most important character(s) in the Valiant universe? (up to 4)

Bloodshot
20%
Divinity
6%
Eternal Warrior
10%
Faith
3%
Ninjak
3%
Pete Stanchek
6%
Rai
6%
Shadowman
2%
Toyo Harada
19%
X-O Manowar
25%

Total votes: 124

eschnit
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
In your opinion, most important character(s) in Valiant?

Post by eschnit »

Who do you could consider the most important character(s) in the Valiant universe? This is a subjective question. I'm excluding the three non VEI properties as options in this poll. Past, Present, Future, whatever your take is.

...opinions of why this poll isn't quite right would make sense. The 10 choices were chosen for a reason, but I can see replacements. 4 options, instead of 1,2, or 3 make you think of the 4th vs 5th most important instead of most. The 3 non- VEI properties would be a different topic. Though the question is subjective, the intent is to see perception of most important, not favorite.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: In your opinion, most important character(s) in Valiant?

Post by JCP »

This is a seriously tough poll with only four selections. Great post.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I've voted For Aric and Harada, as they're currently the only two that I percieve as currently able to make meaningful large-scale change occur in the VU. Other characters on the list, whilst obscenely powerful or whatever, have yet to have really exercised their ability to make large-scale change based on the comics that I've read to date (so I'm not totally up to date on say Divinity/Stalinverse etc.).

Stancheck and Rai I think have huge potential within the VU, but to date nothing substantial has come as a result of their actions.

I just can't see that the other characters on the list are able to significantly affect the VU with world-changing events as a direct result of their actions. Bloodshot, Livewire (etc.) obviously have huge ramifications further down the line as a result of their constituents, but as that hasn't really come to pass yet I don't feel I can 'count' them as most important. Yet
:thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

IMO there are some others that should be on there?
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

eschnit

Post by eschnit »

Shadowman99 wrote:I've voted For Aric and Harada, as they're currently the only two that I percieve as currently able to make meaningful large-scale change occur in the VU. Other characters on the list, whilst obscenely powerful or whatever, have yet to have really exercised their ability to make large-scale change based on the comics that I've read to date (so I'm not totally up to date on say Divinity/Stalinverse etc.).

Stancheck and Rai I think have huge potential within the VU, but to date nothing substantial has come as a result of their actions.

I just can't see that the other characters on the list are able to significantly affect the VU with world-changing events as a direct result of their actions. Bloodshot, Livewire (etc.) obviously have huge ramifications further down the line as a result of their constituents, but as that hasn't really come to pass yet I don't feel I can 'count' them as most important. Yet
:thumb:

Depending on how VEI chooses to have impacts of minis effect future events, Divinity, and to a certain extent Rai certainly fall into the category. I suspect Rai will fail, though his actions wil have ramifications either way. It would be surprising if Divinity does not have the kind of impact you're talking about, short term, probably more than Aric. What that equates to in the long run is anybody's guess. I doubt even Matt Kindt or Dinesh have that determined.

eschnit

Post by eschnit »

myron wrote:IMO there are some others that should be on there?

Sure, squeezing Faith in there makes sense if you think of the question a certain way, otherwise not so much. Master Darque, Cronus, Livewire, Archer, Ivar, Mishka, Charlie Palmer potentially Antonius Axia, War Mother, Tama, Savage, Roku, in the future or even Erica Pierce from the past. Obviously the "Immortal Enemy", however you want to describe that character would belong on the list, and perhaps "Father".

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Xo
Bloodshot
Toyo
Petegillyaram

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

1. X-O Manowar
2. Bloodshot
3. Ninjak
4. Faith

5. Harada

eschnit

Post by eschnit »

Interesting results, makes sense. I don't think we can interpret who's ranked #1 given how the question was asked, but looks like a consensus opinion that Aric is a top 4 character of importance.

XO 1st
Bloodshot and Toyo contend for 2nd and 3rd
No consensus for 4th, a bunch of close to equal candidates

I wonder where Magnus would fall. My guess is behind Aric, Bloodshot, and Toyo and ahead of everyone else.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Regarding Faith, I was at a local convention yesterday and for some reason when Valiant came up the one that people were talking about the most is Faith. Now I'll admit that only like three people at the convention were even talking about Valiant but anyway... :P Probably due to my Bloodshot shirt, otherwise would have had only one real Valiant conversation (I walked into one organically, otherwise it was people asking me abut the shirt which is the Rafael Grampa shirt. People love this shirt!).

eschnit

Post by eschnit »

Baramos wrote:Regarding Faith, I was at a local convention yesterday and for some reason when Valiant came up the one that people were talking about the most is Faith. Now I'll admit that only like three people at the convention were even talking about Valiant but anyway... :P Probably due to my Bloodshot shirt, otherwise would have had only one real Valiant conversation (I walked into one organically, otherwise it was people asking me abut the shirt which is the Rafael Grampa shirt. People love this shirt!).

Not the least bit surprised. She's a darkhorse for the next big thing in comics I think. If Valiant breaks out to another level, not in terms of quality, but mainstream consciousness, I suspect she may be the catalyst.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

eschnit wrote:
Baramos wrote:Regarding Faith, I was at a local convention yesterday and for some reason when Valiant came up the one that people were talking about the most is Faith. Now I'll admit that only like three people at the convention were even talking about Valiant but anyway... :P Probably due to my Bloodshot shirt, otherwise would have had only one real Valiant conversation (I walked into one organically, otherwise it was people asking me abut the shirt which is the Rafael Grampa shirt. People love this shirt!).

Not the least bit surprised. She's a darkhorse for the next big thing in comics I think. If Valiant breaks out to another level, not in terms of quality, but mainstream consciousness, I suspect she may be the catalyst.
Loved her Superman spoof in the Bloodshot Annual :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t