Top 100 Rarest Valiant books 2012-present? Maybe...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Top 100 Rarest Valiant books 2012-present? Maybe...

Post by greg »

apacseller wrote:
greg wrote:
magnus20009 wrote:Where would the 1:500 and 1:250 Metal covers rank on this list?
There were supposedly only 200 copies of the X-O #1 1:500 Brushed Metal. The ones that followed were 1:250, so I would assume there are at least 400 to 500 of those.
I won't argue that, but I will say that there seemed to be a TON less raws in the market for Ninjak, Bloodshot, etc than X-O. I think the X-O attracted a lot of non-valiant buyers (shops, etc), moreso than the others (just think of how many store variants there were, and each of those stores got at least 2). Plus, in the last year or so, I know a few Valiant retailers that have backed off of Valiant big time (at least till we see where this ship is headed).

CGC graded registry:
X-O Metal: 48
Ninjak- 34
Bloodshot: 29
HW1: 11
Shadowman: 23

You might be totally right, and my thoughts might be totally anecdotal, but there does seem to be less supply of the later ones, but maybe people are just holding on to them instead of the quick flip of X-O.
It's entirely possible that the brushed metal books didn't get the orders necessary to earn them. Because they were a special creation process, there's a chance that extras weren't made at all or, more likely, that the extras are still in Valiant's hands to do with as they please.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

greg wrote:
apacseller wrote:
greg wrote:
magnus20009 wrote:Where would the 1:500 and 1:250 Metal covers rank on this list?
There were supposedly only 200 copies of the X-O #1 1:500 Brushed Metal. The ones that followed were 1:250, so I would assume there are at least 400 to 500 of those.
I won't argue that, but I will say that there seemed to be a TON less raws in the market for Ninjak, Bloodshot, etc than X-O. I think the X-O attracted a lot of non-valiant buyers (shops, etc), moreso than the others (just think of how many store variants there were, and each of those stores got at least 2). Plus, in the last year or so, I know a few Valiant retailers that have backed off of Valiant big time (at least till we see where this ship is headed).

CGC graded registry:
Ninjak- 34

You might be totally right, and my thoughts might be totally anecdotal, but there does seem to be less supply of the later ones, but maybe people are just holding on to them instead of the quick flip of X-O.
It's entirely possible that the brushed metal books didn't get the orders necessary to earn them. Because they were a special creation process, there's a chance that extras weren't made at all or, more likely, that the extras are still in Valiant's hands to do with as they please.
They did just give four metals away at an auction here in Seattle (all but XO), so they have a storage of these. No clue what they went for...
Moose

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Where was the auction? I missed it!

Anecdotally, here is how I've found the rarity of metal books (plus Q&W) based on availability. I have all slabbed at 9.8, and a few extras (rarest to most plentiful):

Harbinger Wars II
X-O
Bloodshot
Shadowman
Q&W
Ninjak

Totally subjective, but just based on my experience.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nycjadie wrote:Where was the auction? I missed it!.
Comics Dungeon in Seattle (near UW campus) sponsors an organization (C4C3) that puts books in classrooms. Valiant has always been a big focus in there, as Valiant usually has it's ECCC/last years Warped Tour stuff shipped there for safekeeping. Just this last weekend, Valiant gave C4C3 four metal covers for auction as well as some other stuff. From what I can figure out, no Valiant fan that I know of made it to that auction, so they ended up in strangers hands... It happened this last weekend

Last year, Hooser and I split a Valiant package that housed a Shadowman (2013) gold, some of those shot glasses I traded you for, and some other swag. This year was much bigger, and I am hoping next year will be even bigger!!
Moose

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

greg wrote:
apacseller wrote:
greg wrote:

CGC graded registry:
Ninjak- 34

If there were 400-500 copies of the 1:250 that would imply print runs of 100,000 to 125,000 (which I think is too high and each store ordering exactly in 250 copy lots). I do not doubt that there might be that many copies out there but it seems rather disingenuous if there were as the program was based upon a store needing to order 250 copies to get a book.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

magnus20009 wrote:
greg wrote:
apacseller wrote:
greg wrote:

CGC graded registry:
Ninjak- 34

If there were 400-500 copies of the 1:250 that would imply print runs of 100,000 to 125,000 (which I think is too high and each store ordering exactly in 250 copy lots). I do not doubt that there might be that many copies out there but it seems rather disingenuous if there were as the program was based upon a store needing to order 250 copies to get a book.

Were they for orders across the whole line though, or just for that particular issue? I know they've released Line Wide variants in the past. Across the whole Valiant line there could be around the 70k (off the top of my head), and with a few extra printed, 400 isn't that unrealistic.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

greg

Post by greg »

magnus20009 wrote:
greg wrote:
apacseller wrote:
greg wrote:

CGC graded registry:
Ninjak- 34

This is a debated topic across all publishers, but there are many examples.

The retailer ratios required are only for the retailer. It's just assumed (incorrectly) that publishers aren't printing extras. The publisher can print as many as they want.

If a publisher said that a book would only be printed to the exact amount needed for dealers who ordered at least 250 copies, and that there would be no extras printed, they would still need to print extras to replace damaged copies. Publishers always print extra for damages. Publishers usually print the full 1:250 quantity for total orders. They usually throw in another 100 to 200 copies for themselves, the creators, employees, prizes, better printing quantity discounts, etc. If there are supposed to be 2,000 and a publisher prints 2,200 it's not a big difference from the retailer ratio. If there are "supposed to be" (from the retailer ratio calculation) 100 and a publisher prints 300, they've done the same amount of extras... but it's a very different result comparing the retailer ratio to the actual number printed.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

greg wrote:
magnus20009 wrote:
greg wrote:
apacseller wrote:
greg wrote:

CGC graded registry:
Ninjak- 34

This is a debated topic across all publishers, but there are many examples.

The retailer ratios required are only for the retailer. It's just assumed (incorrectly) that publishers aren't printing extras. The publisher can print as many as they want.

If a publisher said that a book would only be printed to the exact amount needed for dealers who ordered at least 250 copies, and that there would be no extras printed, they would still need to print extras to replace damaged copies. Publishers always print extra for damages. Publishers usually print the full 1:250 quantity for total orders. They usually throw in another 100 to 200 copies for themselves, the creators, employees, prizes, better printing quantity discounts, etc. If there are supposed to be 2,000 and a publisher prints 2,200 it's not a big difference from the retailer ratio. If there are "supposed to be" (from the retailer ratio calculation) 100 and a publisher prints 300, they've done the same amount of extras... but it's a very different result comparing the retailer ratio to the actual number printed.
That is my point that it is a little disingenuous if that is that case. I am a big sports card collector and I like if a card is numbered out of /10 /20 /100 or whatever then that is generally about what is printed (with maybe some a minor amount of extras for damages - or none if the cards are 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10) so that it can be factored into what one pays for a card.

greg

Post by greg »

magnus20009 wrote:That is my point that it is a little disingenuous if that is that case. I am a big sports card collector and I like if a card is numbered out of /10 /20 /100 or whatever then that is generally about what is printed (with maybe some a minor amount of extras for damages - or none if the cards are 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10) so that it can be factored into what one pays for a card.
I agree. It's in the best interest of the retailers to push the idea that the ONLY way to get a book is to do it through the ratio program, but the reality is that most of the Valiant (VEI) gold books were retailer incentives at 1:125 or 1:175 and we all know that the best way to get a Valiant gold book was to show up to a convention and attend a panel or mention the secret word at the booth. Getting one for free beats whatever the retailers buying 100+ books had to do. There are other stories of ratio books that showed up at retailers who didn't qualify. There are stories of retailers qualifying for a particular variant and getting two or three. Bonus! That's just promotion and marketing on behalf of Valiant and the distributor, but it looks like a "violation of some kind of trust" to a collector who paid extra to ensure they got a 1:10 or a 1:500, whatever the case may be.

The special process books, such as these brushed metal covers, are the kind of thing that would be as close to "handmade" as possible so the number being ordered is probably decided well before the books are solicited, and way before the orders come in. If a publisher is happy with the deal they've worked out with the brushed metal company, or glass, or even chromium, then they hope the orders are great, but if they're not... that's more freebies around the office... which goes back to promotion and marketing on behalf of Valiant and the distributor.

Publishers aren't in the business of limiting their own sales. They're always marketing and promoting. It's easiest to promote comics with comics... and it's more exciting to promote comics with limited edition comics. "Thanks for stopping by the offices and hearing our ideas... grab a couple special editions on your way out!" While publishers often produce limited items like retailer ratio books, those limits are only imposed on retailers. It's all done for the marketing and promotion for greater future sales... and as mentioned, sometimes retailers also get those same freebies or extras.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

Was texted and asked to weigh in here on the metal cover print runs. Have only read this page, not the whole thread, but also wanted to tackle two quotes below.

The metal covers were indeed printed to the approximate numbers we promoted (as were all the covers while I was there). If memory serves the X-O Manowar metal was within 50 copies of the print run we messaged. We always print a little extra for damages, replacements, comps and a few gifts etc but we were fiercely protective of the numbers we stated publicly, the perceived print run a ratio we assigned a cover would suggest to fans buying the books and ultimately the after market value. There is no warehouse of VEI variants (at least from 2012 - early 2018) waiting to be discovered and tank prices.
greg wrote:Publishers aren't in the business of limiting their own sales.
Agreed but the best way to do not limit your own sales in the long term is actually to occasionally limit sales in the short term. Messaging a print run and then over printing a cover is a great way to teach retailers and fans that either Valiant books aren't going to maintain value in the after market or Valiant can't be trusted to protect fans who shell out big bucks for a high end cover. Conversely, if retailers and fans buy in to a high end cover and find that it holds or grows in value they are more likely to buy in again and again. We would happily forgo the retailers who wanted to buy more shelf copies than they could actually sell to readers in order to get an extra high end for slow and steady growth. It's one of the reasons our sales went up every year.
greg wrote: "Thanks for stopping by the offices and hearing our ideas... grab a couple special editions on your way out!"
This was something I paid close attention to. Other publishers would do this regularly and with good reason. It can be very valuable in fostering business relationships and building fans. But it can have a high cost if you're giving away books retailers and fans had to pay dearly for. The last thing a publisher should want is high end books flooding the market. When people stopped by the offices and we sent them away with goodies they'd leave with a ton of trades, some hardcovers, a few bits of merch and a gold book or two. That's what the gold books were for. They're giveaways. Any extra high end covers lived hidden in my office or occasionally Atom's office. No where else. On the rare occasion where we would gift a high end cover I always approved it personally. If I wasn't in the office Atom, Hunter or Warren (the only people trusted with knowledge of where the high ends were hidden would call me to approve the gift). That's why so many of the high end covers are still commanding big prices today.

Hope that helps! Gotta run back to set, the next shot is set up :P :cloud9:
Last edited by dino on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:57:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Happy to look up specific print runs if you guys a curious about any of the variants :thumb:

greg

Post by greg »

dino wrote:Happy to look up specific print runs if you guys a curious about any of the variants :thumb:
Very cool of you to post on this Dinesh! :clap: I'm sure everyone would love to know the print runs for everything, but I'm curious how your comments about not overprinting (by much) align with books like:
A&A #25 1:50 Walsh - about 110 copies predicted... was it 150? 200? More?
4001 A.D. #4 1:100 variant - about 118 copies predicted
Rapture #4 1:50 variant - about 125 copies predicted
Wrath of Eternal Warrior #4 1:50 - about 160 copies predicted
A&A: Adventures of A&A #5 1:50 - about 170 copies predicted

Don't stop filming for us. We can wait. :thumb:

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

greg wrote:
dino wrote:Happy to look up specific print runs if you guys a curious about any of the variants :thumb:
Very cool of you to post on this Dinesh! :clap: I'm sure everyone would love to know the print runs for everything, but I'm curious how your comments about not overprinting (by much) align with books like:

Posting quickly in between set ups (we're shooing a big action set piece this week...one I think will go down in Valiant lore!) and pulling info from my phone. 4001 AD #4 1:100 had a print run of 525. Remember, those reported monthly sales numbers are always incredibly low. More so as we grew because we got better at working outside the system. Will try and look the rest up soon.

greg

Post by greg »

dino wrote:
greg wrote:

Posting quickly in between set ups (we're shooing a big action set piece this week...one I think will go down in Valiant lore!) and pulling info from my phone. 4001 AD #4 1:100 had a print run of 525. Remember, those reported monthly sales numbers are always incredibly low. More so as we grew because we got better at working outside the system. Will try and look the rest up soon.
Thank you again! "Incredibly low" is an understatement if 4001 AD #4 sold closer to 52,500 copies but only 11,857 were estimated by Comichron. :o

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Hi Dino,

Thanks for checking the boards and posting. I think we are all very excited about your involvement with the Bloodshot production. Kudos! Very happy you are part of the first Valiant movie!

I too would like to know how many issues were printed of the metal books. The thought of them being "hand put together " just seems like they should be very limited:

1) X-O 1:500 metal
2) Bloodshot 1:250 metal
3) Ninjak 1:250 metal
4) Shadowman 1:250 metal
5) HWII 1:250 metal

I also wonder about these key rare variants:

6) Harbinger #3 1:20 (first Livewire)
7) Imperium #1 1:40 (Sunlight on Snow)
8) Harbinger #25 1:50 (Could this be the rarest Harbinger book?)
9) Shadowman #13 1:50 (first Punk Mambo)
10) Eternal Warrior #5 1:50 (first 4001)
11) X-O #15 1:50 (first Capshaw)
Were there more errors or regular printings?
12) Did Savage #1 1:50 truly have the smallest print run of any 1:50 (and possibly all the1:40) variants?

....and how about the 2012 Harbinger and X-O QR variants?

13) Harbinger #1 2012 1:50 QR
14) X-O #1 QR

....and how about the first Roku on a cover?

15) Ninjak 2015 #1 Sauvage (first Roku and the only #1 issue with Roku actually on the cover)
Last edited by Juki on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Well, we do know that:

Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40) had 350 printed copies.
Savage #1 (LaRosa 1:50) had 300 printed copies.
4001 A.D. (1:100) had 525 printed copies.
Britannia #2 (Johnson 1:50) approx. 600 printed copies.
Britannia #3 (Johnson 1:50) approx. 450 printed copies.

I certainly am interested in learning more and increasing the accuracy of our knowledge on this sort of topic, and know that the VF members GREATLY appreciate it Dino!
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:31:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaspersk
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by jaspersk »

I remember there being a bloodshot variant
For north or south carolina comiccon
It may have been a store variant
Ultimate comics had one for sale
They were supposed to be pretty much
All damaged so from a run of 500?
How many are out there?

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

greg wrote:

Rapture #4 1:50 variant - 275 copies
Wrath of Eternal Warrior #4 1:50 - 400 copies
A&A: Adventures of A&A #5 1:50 - 675 copies

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Juki wrote:Hi Dino,

Thanks for checking the boards and posting. I think we are all very excited about your involvement with the Bloodshot production. Kudos! Very happy you are part of the first Valiant movie!

I too would like to know how many issues were printed of the metal books. The thought of them being "hand put together " just seems like they should be very limited:

1) X-O 1:500 metal
2) Bloodshot 1:250 metal
3) Ninjak 1:250 metal
4) Shadowman 1:250 metal
5) HWII 1:250 metal

I also wonder about these key rare variants:

6) Harbinger #3 1:20 (first Livewire)
7) Imperium #1 1:40 (Sunlight on Snow)
8) Harbinger #25 1:50 (Could this be the rarest Harbinger book?)
9) Shadowman #13 1:50 (first Punk Mambo)
10) Eternal Warrior #5 1:50 (first 4001)
11) X-O #15 1:50 (first Capshaw)
Were there more errors or regular printings?
12) Did Savage #1 1:50 truly have the smallest print run of any 1:50 (and possibly all the1:40) variants?

....and how about the 2012 Harbinger and X-O QR variants?

13) Harbinger #1 2012 1:50 QR
14) X-O #1 QR

....and how about the first Roku on a cover?

15) Ninjak 2015 #1 Sauvage (first Roku and the only #1 issue with Roku actually on the cover)
7) Imperium #1 1:40 (Sunlight on Snow) - 350 copies
8) Harbinger #25 1:50 (Could this be the rarest Harbinger book?) - 250 copies (might be...)
9) Shadowman #13 1:50 (first Punk Mambo) - 400 copies
10) Eternal Warrior #5 1:50 (first 4001) - 400 copies
11) X-O #15 1:50 (first Capshaw) - 400 copies
Were there more errors or regular printings? The errors were supposed to all have been caught and destroyed before they went out to stores. Since copies have only been found from Midtown Comics I would wager the Midtown shipment somehow pulled variants from the pile of books that were scheduled to be destroyed. Should be far fewer errors than regular printings.
12) Did Savage #1 1:50 truly have the smallest print run of any 1:50 (and possibly all the1:40) variants? - 300 copies.
Among the smallest and smaller than Divnity #1 1:40's 350 copies.
15) Ninjak 2015 #1 Sauvage (first Roku and the only #1 issue with Roku actually on the cover)[/quote] - 2,800 copies

I'll get back to you re: the metals and QR's. I can't say on the Shadowman and HWII metals since I was not there (nor would have allowed them)

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

:breakingnews:

This threat just got a LOT more awesome! :thumb:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

DirtbagSailor wrote::breakingnews:

This threat just got a LOT more awesome! :thumb:
Yes it did... this thread is officially awesome! :high-five:

....and I have to say that I am officially "impressed" by the low numbers so far. Dino, you really did a great job of keeping a close eye on the number of variants needed for each issue and making sure they were not heavily over printed. It would have been so easy to print several hundred more of each issue just to "be safe."

Don't forget about the Harbinger #3 1:20 (first Livewire)! I think everybody wants to know about that one.

I would also love to know the numbers of the Harbinger Wars issues 1-4 1:20s and 1:50s! A great Bloodshot movie is just the ticket to get us to an eventual Harbinger Wars movie! Hopefully it will be heavily based on these comics.

If Savage #1 1:50 only had 300 printed... Did that number stay the same for issues 2-4 1:50s (300 printed)?

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Never mind me, just over here organizing data... :thumb:

250 copies - Harbinger #25 (Kitson 1:50)
275 copies - Rapture #4 (Suayan 1:50)
275 copies - Savage #4 (LaRosa 1:50)
300 copies - Savage #1 (LaRosa 1:50)
350 copies - Imperium #1 (Braithwaite 1:40)
350 copies - Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40)
350 copies - Savage #2 (LaRosa 1:50)
400 copies - Shadowman #13 (Davis 1:50)
400 copies - Eternal Warrior #5 (Mack 1:50)
400 copies - X-O Manowar #15 (Kotaki 1:50)
------------ X-O Manowar #15 (Kotaki 1:50 Error) = small percentage of the 400 copies.
400 copies - Wrath of Eternal Warrior #4 (Lafuente 1:50)
450 copies - Savage #3 (LaRosa 1:50)
450 copies - Britannia #3 (Johnson 1:50)
500 copies - Harbinger Wars #3 (Zircher 1:50)
525 copies - 4001 A.D. (Sook 1:100)
600 copies - Britannia #2 (Johnson 1:50)
675 copies - A&A: Adventures of Archer & Armstrong #5 (Lafuente 1:50)
800 copies - Harbinger Wars #1 (Zircher 1:50)
2,800 copies - Ninjak 2015 #1 (Sauvage cover D)
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:30:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Britannia #2 (Johnson 1:50) had about 2x the printed copies of Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40) -- approx. 700 printed copies.
DirtbagSailor wrote: Britannia #3 (Johnson 1:50) had about 2x the printed copies of Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40) -- approx. 700 printed copies.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Juki wrote:
Yes it did... this thread is officially awesome! :high-five:

....and I have to say that I am officially "impressed" by the low numbers so far. Dino, you really did a great job of keeping a close eye on the number of variants needed for each issue and making sure they were not heavily over printed. It would have been so easy to print several hundred more of each issue just to "be safe."
Thanks man. We worked ourselves to the bone to do the right thing in every department. Tricky making sure there were enough copies ordered to produce a market, not over printing for damages and comps etc to such an extent that we softened the market and still keeping the numbers low enough that it accurately represented retailer perceived demand. Not to mention making the higher end covers cool enough to be sought after.
Juki wrote: Don't forget about the Harbinger #3 1:20 (first Livewire)! I think everybody wants to know about that one.

I would also love to know the numbers of the Harbinger Wars issues 1-4 1:20s and 1:50s! A great Bloodshot movie is just the ticket to get us to an eventual Harbinger Wars movie! Hopefully it will be heavily based on these comics.

If Savage #1 1:50 only had 300 printed... Did that number stay the same for issues 2-4 1:50s (300 printed)?
Harbinger Wars #1 1:50 - 800 copies
Harbinger Wars #3 1:50 - 500 copies
Savage #2 1:50 - 350 copies
Savage #3 1:50 - 450 copies
Savage #4 1:50 - 275 copies

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Is it true that all the gold issues had about 1,000 printed?

Really curious about the metal covers and the Q&W Most Variant.

And thanks for doing this Dino. It is really awesome.