What is it worth? (Vote Here)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: What is it worth? (Vote Here)

Post by Ramses818 »

That's a nice start!congrats on a very fair sale. :thumb:

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Well, a second of these questions has been answered:

I posted 1x copy of Eternal Warrior #4 CGC 9.8 SS yesterday in my for sale thread, and it sold for $450 today.

I honestly had considered posting to eBay for an auction, and estimated that it would pull $500-$600 in the current market. HOWEVER, $450 with ZERO eBay fees isn't bad at all. :thumb:
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:48:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Consider the speed of these sales. This can mean two things (to me)

1. That the prices were reasonable enough to pull the trigger without much hesitation.

2. That there does exist a demand for such books.

In the case of the Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat CGC 9.8 SS, I stand by my belief that some books have only existed as a "possibility" in the past (as in they did not exist, but it was speculated that if they did it would be quite awesome :cloud9: ); and these books will have a hidden demand once brought to life and made real.

An example of this might be a 9.8 Shadowman #16 Gold-in-the-Dark, a CGC/CBCS 9.9 Harbinger #1 , or a CGC/CBCS 9.8 SS Archer & Armstrong #0 Gold signed by BWS. Such books DO NOT exist (presently) and may NEVER exist. But it is safe to say that if they DID exist the demand would be ridiculous. A goal then might be to find a way to make these books real, which cannot always be done, but CAN be sometimes done. :wink:

Rai #0 CGC 10 is a good example of what was imagined, and now is real.

I have looked at the sales history in-depth for the past 10+ years as best I can, and there is really no debate in my mind (as records show time and time again) that (with FEW exceptions due to unknown circumstances) these books simply are desired and sell quite well. The market has been small for several years, most of us can agree to this, but there are MORE THAN A FEW dedicated / hard core collectors out there that (much like myself) find such books both highly interesting and desirable.

There are books that several of us would pull the trigger on at the right financial time of the year, but we simply are not able to responsibly do so 365 days a year. I wanted to buy the CBCS 9.9 Divinity #1 LaRosa 1:40 last month, but could not justify it (at the time). This month I certainly could, and of course it is now sold (not to me regretfully). We saw this with Harby #1 CGC 9.8 SS this past month as it sold for $1,550 after being listed for a few months. It's not that the demand isn't there, I am positive that many collectors would love to own a copy. It just that it takes time for many Valiant enthusiasts/collectors to get the funds together and pull the trigger on a purchase like that.

Let's not forget that we are in a market where $1,000-$5,000 slabs are sold frequently; just not Valiant.

Yet.

Opinions will vary, but I can't believe that a Rai #1 CGC 9.8 sells for less than $100 today. That is the price of 4 gourmet pizzas and a coke! Valiant books are incredibly undervalued, and it is refreshing to see the growth we have recently seen; and will continue to see as both the fan-base and the market expand.

valiantking
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by valiantking »

Has anyone had any experience with CGC in terms of having a 9.8. Let's say harbinger 1 9.8 and cracking it open in front of cgc at on site grading show and having it authenticated by CGc signature authenticated on site and retaining the 9.8 grade?

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

valiantking wrote:Has anyone had any experience with CGC in terms of having a 9.8. Let's say harbinger 1 9.8 and cracking it open in front of cgc at on site grading show and having it authenticated by CGc signature authenticated on site and retaining the 9.8 grade?
Sadly, it does not work that way.

I had to buy a CGC 9.8 book for $550, and then inspect it myself very closely BEFORE cracking-it-out (since, well, sometimes it just doesn't work out), and then have it signed and re-graded.

FYI: I cracked out 3x Shadowman #1 CGC 9.8's, and only got back 1x Shadowman #1 CGC 9.8 SS. They others graded 9.4 & 9.6. I was CONVINCED that these 3x books would all return as 9.8 SS slabs, and that I could sell them to cover expenses while maintaining one for my own collection.

Interestingly enough, I have also had experience with cracking out a CGC 9.6 and getting a CGC 9.8 SS back! :o

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Well, a the last of these questions has been answered:

I posted 1x copy of Solar Man of the Atom #10 CGC 9.8 SS for sale and it sold for $1,000 a few moments ago.

So, in the past two days we have seen the following;
  • Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat CGC 9.8 SS sold for $1,000
    Eternal Warrior #4 CGC 9.8 SS sold for $450
    Solar Man of the Atom #10 CGC 9.8 SS sold for $1,000
...and ALL sold quickly without much debate.

Again, opinions will vary, and Signatures Series books might or might not be your thing, but I believe that these books were each sold for 2/3 of their value, and that given enough time on eBay, they would fetch greater prices. That said, these were sold to WELL-KNOWN Valiant Fans and collectors who are also board members.

DBS'S COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE AND OPINION-BASED TRUE-MARKET VALUE ESTIMATE:
  • Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat CGC 9.8 SS $1,500
    Eternal Warrior #4 CGC 9.8 SS$600
    Solar Man of the Atom #10 CGC 9.8 SS$1,500
Some will disagree with my estimate. Hell, I've seen people say that Harbinger #1 is only worth $25. We each have our opinions, but IMO there must exist a balance between over-pricing, under-pricing, time, scarcity, demand, significance, social value, market value, precedence, trends, history, age, and desire that will indicate what an object is worth. :thumb:

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Well, a the last of these questions has been answered:

I posted 1x copy of Solar Man of the Atom #10 CGC 9.8 SS for sale and it sold for $1,000 a few moments ago.

So, in the past two days we have seen the following;
  • Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat CGC 9.8 SS sold for $1,000
    Eternal Warrior #4 CGC 9.8 SS sold for $450
    Solar Man of the Atom #10 CGC 9.8 SS sold for $1,000
...and ALL sold quickly without much debate.

Again, opinions will vary, and Signatures Series books might or might not be your thing, but I believe that these books were each sold for 2/3 of their value, and that given enough time on eBay, they would fetch greater prices. That said, these were sold to WELL-KNOWN Valiant Fans and collectors who are also board members.

DBS'S COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE AND OPINION-BASED TRUE-MARKET VALUE ESTIMATE:
  • Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat CGC 9.8 SS $1,500
    Eternal Warrior #4 CGC 9.8 SS$600
    Solar Man of the Atom #10 CGC 9.8 SS$1,500
Some will disagree with my estimate. Hell, I've seen people say that Harbinger #1 is only worth $25. We each have our opinions, but IMO there must exist a balance between over-pricing, under-pricing, time, scarcity, demand, significance, social value, market value, precedence, trends, history, age, and desire that will indicate what an object is worth. :thumb:
Open market ebay, I grudgingly agree with the estimates on solar and ew flat. Ew4.. maybe, but I think anyone would likely be uninformed about it's print run and availability in 9.8 condition in order to pay that much for that book unless it was signed by BWS.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.