Gold Key Series during 1990's Craze

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Gold Key Series during 1990's Craze

Post by FormerReader »

We all know what happened to early Valiant issues after Unity. I never collected the Gold Key issues until just recently. How did the market react to the early appearances of the Gold Key characters i.e. Magnus #1 (1963), Dr. Solar #1 and Four Color #596? Did these issues ever see any renewed interest by readers or collectors?

battlepark
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!
Re: Gold Key Series during 1990's Craze

Post by battlepark »

It was a different time because there was no internet comic sites or ebay. I remember with my local store never had the old stuff like that, but I remember some of the price guides saying those books went up in price. But to be honest I had no interest in reading the old stuff back then... :?
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

You know what's funny, I can't recall seeing many in the marketplace. I used to sell at shows then too, as a teenager. There weren't many in circulation in Seattle at the time, but the guide prices did go up. Honestly, I question a lot of pricing pre-Internet. We all relied on Overstreet so much, and they relied upon a small handful of large dealers to report prices. I have witnessed SEVERAL instances at shows where dealers recorded sale prices for Overstreet that were higher than the actual sale. For example, book was priced at $50 and sold for $40, the dealer would record the sale at $50 for price guide purposes. One time, I saw an employee argue with the dealer about how that would skew the results and was dishonest. The dealer said, fine, I'll do it myself.

I've seen a lot of interest in my key V1 slabs. All of the key VEI character books in 9.8 seemed to have at least doubled in price. In some cases, they have tripled. EW 4 has quadrupled.

I don't see the same for GK books this time around, but I'm always looking for high grade copies. Those seem to be the hardest. I bought a low grade GK Magnus 5 last week for.......$1.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:You know what's funny, I can't recall seeing many in the marketplace. I used to sell at shows then too, as a teenager. There weren't many in circulation in Seattle at the time, but the guide prices did go up. Honestly, I question a lot of pricing pre-Internet. We all relied on Overstreet so much, and they relied upon a small handful of large dealers to report prices. I have witnessed SEVERAL instances at shows where dealers recorded sale prices for Overstreet that were higher than the actual sale. For example, book was priced at $50 and sold for $40, the dealer would record the sale at $50 for price guide purposes. One time, I saw an employee argue with the dealer about how that would skew the results and was dishonest. The dealer said, fine, I'll do it myself.

I've seen a lot of interest in my key V1 slabs. All of the key VEI character books in 9.8 seemed to have at least doubled in price. In some cases, they have tripled. EW 4 has quadrupled.

I don't see the same for GK books this time around, but I'm always looking for high grade copies. Those seem to be the hardest. I bought a low grade GK Magnus 5 last week for.......$1.
I bought a 3.0ish Solar #1 for about $20 a few years ago.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.