April Sales Estimates

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: April Sales Estimates

Post by jeremycoe »

nycjadie wrote:The numbers are low. Lower than when Acclaim folded. I know the industry is different now, but investors want money and I would be highly surprised if they were in the black. I think the feeling is that the future movies and merch would subsidize the issues, and with added mass-audience interest, the publishing arm could be in the black. Valiant is nothing without its fanboys, and we want issues. We can preach the gospel of Valiant, but at the end of the day, these numbers are low.
I hear what you're saying, but look at some of the other "small" companies. Dynamite released 35 comic books in April and sold less than twice the number of comic books as Valiant. And most of their stuff seems to be licensed. I think Valiant is doing ok comparatively.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

agent_graves wrote:
Donovan wrote:Out of curiosity, is the Flash comic selling like hotcakes thanks to the increased talk of the television show?

48. Flash 40* $3.99 DC 38,382.

*March 2015
I went and did the math from a year prior, where it sold 33,241.

It increased 15%.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

agent_graves wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
agent_graves wrote: As far as shelf space, certain big shops I've been to, have a Valiant section, but at times the selection is scarce. A lot times the problem I'm seeing, I'll use Imperium #4 as a recent example, my lcs didn't even have any shelf copies, on the day it was released, that's a serious problem, shops are not even ordering past what they need for pulls. We all know how great Imperium has been, but the guys in marketing, have to figure out how to bring in new readers, because unfortunately, having great product, isn't enough. It's easier said than done, but with Secret Wars and Convergence taking up so much shelf space, something has to be done to grab those readers attention. What exactly, I'm not sure .
Maybe a promotion where shops are forced to order more copies of a book than they would (say, 25 returnable copies) in order to get a limited comic for those that want it? :hm:
That's a start :lol:

But in all seriousness, they're trying new things, like this..

http://www.newsarama.com/24568-valiant- ... ath-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is kind of what I was getting at earlier, they gotta try new things to attract new readers.
It seems to me that a lot of the push is around gimmicks etc. The gap around that level still seems to be predicated on a lack of breadth to the line, with the rigid 8-9 books versus publishers in the next few 'slots' above VEI each month publishing more books each month.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

leonmallett wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
agent_graves wrote: As far as shelf space, certain big shops I've been to, have a Valiant section, but at times the selection is scarce. A lot times the problem I'm seeing, I'll use Imperium #4 as a recent example, my lcs didn't even have any shelf copies, on the day it was released, that's a serious problem, shops are not even ordering past what they need for pulls. We all know how great Imperium has been, but the guys in marketing, have to figure out how to bring in new readers, because unfortunately, having great product, isn't enough. It's easier said than done, but with Secret Wars and Convergence taking up so much shelf space, something has to be done to grab those readers attention. What exactly, I'm not sure .
Maybe a promotion where shops are forced to order more copies of a book than they would (say, 25 returnable copies) in order to get a limited comic for those that want it? :hm:

http://www.newsarama.com/24568-valiant- ... ath-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is kind of what I was getting at earlier, they gotta try new things to attract new readers.
It seems to me that a lot of the push is around gimmicks etc. The gap around that level still seems to be predicated on a lack of breadth to the line, with the rigid 8-9 books versus publishers in the next few 'slots' above VEI each month publishing more books each month.
To be fair, when disliked, it's a gimmick, when liked, it's a great idea. These incentives, and special covers are all marketing tools, to attract new readers*, and expand the brand. All publishers do it, can't fault Valiant for trying.

*Special Covers, $1 First Issue's, Cheap Trades ($9.99), Prestige Format Mini's, Book of Death Preview insert with interview, bio's, art, etc, in select Valiant titles shipping in June.
#StayValiant

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

There are a lot of great books. Good stories aren't necessarily enough. Gimmicks, variants, hot artists, etc. are often necessary to sell books.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

lorddunlow wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:It would be NICE if millions of people were to wake up and jump into Valiant one morning.

Unfortunately, people tend to only either follow what is massively popular, what they are comfortable with, or what they see in their face regulatory.

"Hey John, did you see last week's episode of The Flash?"

"Yes I did, and now we can talk about it together and make a small social connection due to the common interest we now share..."

Vs

"Hey John, did you read Imperium #4 last week? SO damn good! Dysart is killing it!"

"No actually I didn't, because I don't stray too far from the path I know. I'm going to change the topic now, because you and I do not share a common social interest."

See, IN-TIME people will know who/what/why Valiant is. But it will take some time. For now, we can continue to enjoy the outstanding artwork and stories, and share them with those we know as best we can.

People are sheepish, and NEED to see it to believe. They won't see it until everyone sees it, then, and perhaps only then, will things change.

But for now, it is like Valiant is a quality restaurant, and just happens to also serve amazing deserts. Not everyone will order the desert (comics), which is perhaps their loss, but the restaurant will not fold due to this. They make their money with many other things, and desert (comics) is only one or two items on the larger menu.

We enjoy the full experience, but should not get tunnel vision to believe DOOM & GLOOM are imminent. To date, what Valiant has told us publicly has ALL COME TO PASS each and every time.

Well said, DBS!!

I have never understood the sheepishness of 90% of the population. I've always been the salmon swimming against the current in every situation. I've been like that since birth sometimes to my detriment, but usually to my benefit.
Me three! I've been into the Walking dead since the beginning. I actually won a registry award for the Walking Dead back in 2006 when very few knew how good it was. Then a few years later it began to explode to the phenom it currently is.

We have good instincts and the balls to try new things when others frown apawn it. That is why we will continue to be rewarded. :D It's worked for me in the stock market. :thumb:

Rico

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CongoBill
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CongoBill »

Ricomortis wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:It would be NICE if millions of people were to wake up and jump into Valiant one morning.

Unfortunately, people tend to only either follow what is massively popular, what they are comfortable with, or what they see in their face regulatory.

"Yes I did, and now we can talk about it together and make a small social connection due to the common interest we now share..."

Vs

"Hey John, did you read Imperium #4 last week? SO damn good! Dysart is killing it!"

"No actually I didn't, because I don't stray too far from the path I know. I'm going to change the topic now, because you and I do not share a common social interest."

See, IN-TIME people will know who/what/why Valiant is. But it will take some time. For now, we can continue to enjoy the outstanding artwork and stories, and share them with those we know as best we can.

People are sheepish, and NEED to see it to believe. They won't see it until everyone sees it, then, and perhaps only then, will things change.

But for now, it is like Valiant is a quality restaurant, and just happens to also serve amazing deserts. Not everyone will order the desert (comics), which is perhaps their loss, but the restaurant will not fold due to this. They make their money with many other things, and desert (comics) is only one or two items on the larger menu.

We enjoy the full experience, but should not get tunnel vision to believe DOOM & GLOOM are imminent. To date, what Valiant has told us publicly has ALL COME TO PASS each and every time.

Well said, DBS!!

I have never understood the sheepishness of 90% of the population. I've always been the salmon swimming against the current in every situation. I've been like that since birth sometimes to my detriment, but usually to my benefit.
Me three! I've been into the Walking dead since the beginning. I actually won a registry award for the Walking Dead back in 2006 when very few knew how good it was. Then a few years later it began to explode to the phenom it currently is.

We have good instincts and the balls to try new things when others frown apawn it. That is why we will continue to be rewarded. :D It's worked for me in the stock market. :thumb:

Rico
Got any good stock tips? :D

Ricomortis
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

CongoBill wrote:
Ricomortis wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Vs

Well said, DBS!!

Rico
Got any good stock tips? :D
I like NM here at 3.50

APA is a high candidate for a buyout. :wink: Been a lot of things happening that lead to that.... And I think it's going to be Exxon/Mobil. :thumb:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by krylox »

people, stop wasting your time thinking/arguing/whining about numbers. vei just got injected with nine-figure-dollars from china. they will make movies. publishing's a hobby (that, and developing rough plot ideas for the movies).

if you just wanna enjoy some valiant comics, this is the time. while vei is making big deals and finally hit their objectives, which they most probably had from the start, we're getting some nice reading material. remember those first years without publishing, where they tried to sell film rights solely based on dusty, old 90s comics? and how they failed? turns out, the best thing you can do if you wanna sell movies based on comics is just releasing really good NEW comics. creating some buzz. that's what they're trying to do, and - imho - are succeeding at right now, more than ever.

so, they will be around for at least another five years. what comes then, nobody knows, but this is as viable for comic book companies as it is for me and you.

having said that, i stopped buying singles and will focus on tpb's and hc's.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

krylox wrote:people, stop wasting your time thinking/arguing/whining about numbers. vei just got injected with nine-figure-dollars from china. they will make movies. publishing's a hobby (that, and developing rough plot ideas for the movies).

if you just wanna enjoy some valiant comics, this is the time. while vei is making big deals and finally hit their objectives, which they most probably had from the start, we're getting some nice reading material. remember those first years without publishing, where they tried to sell film rights solely based on dusty, old 90s comics? and how they failed? turns out, the best thing you can do if you wanna sell movies based on comics is just releasing really good NEW comics. creating some buzz. that's what they're trying to do, and - imho - are succeeding at right now, more than ever.

so, they will be around for at least another five years. what comes then, nobody knows, but this is as viable for comic book companies as it is for me and you.

having said that, i stopped buying singles and will focus on tpb's and hc's.
I think you're completely right. However, what the sales numbers can tell us is whether or not some of those good new comics will be continuing or be replaced by something else. The bottom line is there is still a break even point for the publishing cost of a book that needs to be met.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Not Dooom, Krylox? Did I miss a memo? :P

Glad to see that you're enjoying the line again. :thumb:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jmatt wrote:Not Dooom, Krylox? Did I miss a memo? :P

Glad to see that you're enjoying the line again. :thumb:
Positive krylox posts are as rare as unicorn poop.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

krylox
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by krylox »

:D :D :D

in fact, i do. since they're doing new and original content and introducing new concepts (imperium, divinity) and stopped just managing old ips and rehashing stories from the 90s.

i think they're on the right way. originality is king nowadays. that's why, when jeff lemire is rehashing the (supposedly) valuable ip "bloodshot" with massive promotion and cover gimmicks and all you sell around 40k. whereas the completely new and untested ip "descender" sells over 60k.

this is a good time for bold concepts and vei (finally!!!!) understood. divinity may be their first "breakout hit". and, surprise, it's a wholly new character, no re-imagination, no tweaked blahblah, just a great creative who runs wild with his idea. and people dig that. numbers are climbing!!! which other vailant title has managed to do that since the relaunch? this is a very encouraging sign, no matter the actual numbers, which are good, but of course not through the roof. still, this is what gets you the buzz, not the multiple cover mania and 1000 pr-interviews.

also, since we all know they got new investors on board the discussion about rentability of their publishing arm (which now makes for a very very VERY small percentage of their income) is pretty much done.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

agent_graves wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:

To be fair, when disliked, it's a gimmick, when liked, it's a great idea. These incentives, and special covers are all marketing tools, to attract new readers*, and expand the brand. All publishers do it, can't fault Valiant for trying.

*Special Covers, $1 First Issue's, Cheap Trades ($9.99), Prestige Format Mini's, Book of Death Preview insert with interview, bio's, art, etc, in select Valiant titles shipping in June.
Incentives, gimmicks, however we choose to describe them, all focus on pushing sales of particular issues, with seemingly no sustained growth of sales. That is why I call for more books each month; a bigger offering = more opportunities on the shelves, and greater breadth of visibility, figuratively and literally.

The publishers ranked just above VEI are also using their own gimmicks/incentives, but many are publishing more books each month and have greater visibility as a consequence.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

leonmallett wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:

Incentives, gimmicks, however we choose to describe them, all focus on pushing sales of particular issues, with seemingly no sustained growth of sales. That is why I call for more books each month; a bigger offering = more opportunities on the shelves, and greater breadth of visibility, figuratively and literally.

The publishers ranked just above VEI are also using their own gimmicks/incentives, but many are publishing more books each month and have greater visibility as a consequence.
I believe the line will continue to grow over time, a bigger offering is good, but it means nothing if the fanbase doesn't grow as well. The BOD incentive is designed to put more product on the shelf, which is crucial because a lot of times, you can't find a shelf copy of a Valiant title, day of release. So, greater visibility is the whole point of the incentive, shelf space for their summer event, add to that the Ultra Coated Covers, the gimmicks are aimed to attract new and existing readers, that hopefully stick around, and sample other books in their publishing line.

We both agree, the line needs to expand pass the 9-10 books a month, and most of us here believe that Valiant puts out a pretty good product, even great in most cases, but that alone hasn't help them sustain any growth in sales either, so, it's only been 3yrs, they gotta keep pushing, continue to be innovative, and create new IP's, (Divinity) by that 5yr mark, I think we will see the growth in product, and sales, it's just gonna take time.
#StayValiant

ValiantCentral
Valiant fan since: July 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by ValiantCentral »

As an FYI i have started adding sales numbers from comichron from the database...by issue here http://www.valiantdatabase.com/sales/vei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and by title over the past 12 months here http://www.valiantdatabase.com/sales/veibytitle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Valiant Database, up to date information on all VEI books and titles
Ivar's Longbox - a look back at books from VH1 and Acclaim
Valiant Central Podcast - a weekly discussion of the Valiant universe