Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Post by cray_ws »

GammaJosh wrote:
omega_override wrote:
cray_ws wrote:Please tell me you're joking!? Reading comics is not about picking sides or cheerleading a publisher. You either enjoy comics or you don't, there's no line in the sand when it comes to brand.
You'd be surprised at the sheer amount of "brand loyalty" some people have. It's honestly the same way with video games
I am totally like that with Marvel, but to be fair it was more a matter of wanting to dive headfirst into a universe, get as absorbed into the lore and continuity as possible, and simply not being able to afford to do that for both Marvel and DC. Valiant's smaller line (and the fact that I was able to "gateway drug" into it with their modest initial launch of two titles) and the fact that they were starting from scratch is what drew me in to begin with. Of course now I am totally in and if they started published 50 titles each month I would probably do whatever it took to keep up with them!
In other words you have no restraint, and unable to distinguish the difference between quality and quantity. I fear people like you are what holds this industry back. You are the reason why Marvel and DC put out so many spin-offs of their intellectual properties. Glutting the shelves with same old crap with different paint.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Again I say, Valiant is great, give it up ! :cloud9:
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

cray_ws wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:
omega_override wrote:
cray_ws wrote:Please tell me you're joking!? Reading comics is not about picking sides or cheerleading a publisher. You either enjoy comics or you don't, there's no line in the sand when it comes to brand.
You'd be surprised at the sheer amount of "brand loyalty" some people have. It's honestly the same way with video games
I am totally like that with Marvel, but to be fair it was more a matter of wanting to dive headfirst into a universe, get as absorbed into the lore and continuity as possible, and simply not being able to afford to do that for both Marvel and DC. Valiant's smaller line (and the fact that I was able to "gateway drug" into it with their modest initial launch of two titles) and the fact that they were starting from scratch is what drew me in to begin with. Of course now I am totally in and if they started published 50 titles each month I would probably do whatever it took to keep up with them!
In other words you have no restraint, and unable to distinguish the difference between quality and quantity. I fear people like you are what holds this industry back. You are the reason why Marvel and DC put out so many spin-offs of their intellectual properties. Glutting the shelves with same old crap with different paint.
Whoa. Retract the claws, man. Just because you think the shelves are glutted with crap doesn't mean everyone does. People buy Marvel and DC because for decades, they have built the foundation of our hobby. Their IPs are what drew 90% (or more) of us into comics. I love the Marvel characters. No one else can tell stories with those characters. If I want to read about Peter Parker who is my absolute favorite character in the entirety of comics, then I have to buy Marvel. I love the X-Men. I love the characters.

I think the current Marvel books are great. I read Marvel in the 90s - that was not the best time for them. I read lots of Silver Age. I think currently, Marvel is putting out some of their better stuff.

I love VEI for what it is. Valiant created some of the most awesome characters to be introduced since Marvel and DC in their heyday. It's why I came running back to comics when I heard the characters were coming back after my 15+ yr absence. VEI has taken those awesome characters and elevated to levels they have never reached before. I'm all-in for VEI. But I'm not going to give up my favorite characters because a lot of people dislike the editorial decisions of the owner of those characters.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

cray_ws

Post by cray_ws »

lorddunlow wrote: Whoa. Retract the claws, man. Just because you think the shelves are glutted with crap doesn't mean everyone does. People buy Marvel and DC because for decades, they have built the foundation of our hobby. Their IPs are what drew 90% (or more) of us into comics. I love the Marvel characters. No one else can tell stories with those characters. If I want to read about Peter Parker who is my absolute favorite character in the entirety of comics, then I have to buy Marvel. I love the X-Men. I love the characters.

I think the current Marvel books are great. I read Marvel in the 90s - that was not the best time for them. I read lots of Silver Age. I think currently, Marvel is putting out some of their better stuff.

I love VEI for what it is. Valiant created some of the most awesome characters to be introduced since Marvel and DC in their heyday. It's why I came running back to comics when I heard the characters were coming back after my 15+ yr absence. VEI has taken those awesome characters and elevated to levels they have never reached before. I'm all-in for VEI. But I'm not going to give up my favorite characters because a lot of people dislike the editorial decisions of the owner of those characters.
The love for characters doesn't excuse brand loyalty. My favorite characters are from now defunct Wildstorm. They have integrated them into DC universe. I will tell you flat out these characters are not the same! Apollo and Midnighter, Grifter...all watered down versions. All shoe-horned to sell comics, none their characterization or plots make a lick of sense. I've watch Marvel do it with 2099 Spidey, he's not the same. They are trying desperately to shoehorn him into this spidey-verse crap which is nothing more than marketing ploy to expand the Spider-man line with more Spider-man titles. Watch Miles Morales become a shell of himself as they try to fit him in . people who support brand loyalty are gonna gobble it up and not even notice that Morales is being characterized differently.

I would love to read Batman, X-men regularly but there are so many spin-offs that the continuity is freaking joke! So I just enjoy the movies for whatever they are worth.

At this stage of my life, I just want to read really good comics, I don't want to get suckered into supporting entire line because I like one or two characters a lot. I don't buy everything Valiant puts out, but I have no trouble knowing what's going on. Anyone who thinks they need to buy every book is a fool.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

cray_ws wrote: The love for characters doesn't excuse brand loyalty. ....I don't want to get suckered into supporting entire line because I like one or two characters a lot. I don't buy everything Valiant puts out, but I have no trouble knowing what's going on. Anyone who thinks they need to buy every book is a fool.
Yes, but you're imposing your preferences onto what others should or shouldn't do. Loving characters doesn't excuse brand loyalty? I wasn't aware it needed to be justified by somebody spending their own money.

Your opinion isn't invalid, but you should couch it in "In my opinion.." or "For me...". Taking shots at what other forum members choose to do with their comic preferences is just bad form. We try not to step on each other's toes around here.

That being said, I actually agree with some of what you're saying. I just wouldn't suggest that what other people choose to do is "the problem".

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

cray_ws wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:
omega_override wrote:
yeeeesh

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

dynamite

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

cray_ws wrote:

The love for characters doesn't excuse brand loyalty. My favorite characters are from now defunct Wildstorm. They have integrated them into DC universe. I will tell you flat out these characters are not the same! Apollo and Midnighter, Grifter...all watered down versions. All shoe-horned to sell comics, none their characterization or plots make a lick of sense. I've watch Marvel do it with 2099 Spidey, he's not the same. They are trying desperately to shoehorn him into this spidey-verse crap which is nothing more than marketing ploy to expand the Spider-man line with more Spider-man titles. Watch Miles Morales become a shell of himself as they try to fit him in . people who support brand loyalty are gonna gobble it up and not even notice that Morales is being characterized differently.

[/quote]

To be fair DC has ruined everyone, not just Wildstorm. That said...trying to bring in Wildstorm was such a stupid idea. I get your trying to make Jim Lee feel better but jesus none of that stuff is even around. Look at everything DC is doing, Futures End no mention other than coopting the word Stormwatch, Multiversity nope, Convergance nope again. Wildstorm should just stay buried.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

cray_ws wrote:In other words you have no restraint, and unable to distinguish the difference between quality and quantity. I fear people like you are what holds this industry back. You are the reason why Marvel and DC put out so many spin-offs of their intellectual properties. Glutting the shelves with same old crap with different paint.
Damn dude, really? I actually (kind of) agree with what you're saying, but GammaJosh has completely valid reasons for picking Marvel over DC. It does seem silly to just ignore good books just because they're form a different publsiher, but I'm the type of person who likes all the different superhero-universes. Some people just like Marvel stories more than DC, and vice versa. There's nothing wrong with that. The industry (especially Marvel) has some serious problems and issues, but I don't think brand loyalty to one big 2 publisher, and not the other is doing anything particularly harmful to the industry. It's like Marveldrones and DCasuals cancel eachother out. :p
lorddunlow wrote: Just because you think the shelves are glutted with crap doesn't mean everyone does.

Well, I gotta disagree with you there. I don't know how you've stuck through all these constant events, cancellations, relaunches and movie pandering, but to each his own. If you're enjoying the books, more power to you. It's not like Marvel is a barren-wasteland or anything. It's making some good books right now like Ms. Marvel, Superior Iron Man, and Hawkeye (literally all I could think of).
cray_ws wrote: The love for characters doesn't excuse brand loyalty. My favorite characters are from now defunct Wildstorm. They have integrated them into DC universe. I will tell you flat out these characters are not the same! Apollo and Midnighter, Grifter...all watered down versions. All shoe-horned to sell comics, none their characterization or plots make a lick of sense. I've watch Marvel do it with 2099 Spidey, he's not the same. They are trying desperately to shoehorn him into this spidey-verse crap which is nothing more than marketing ploy to expand the Spider-man line with more Spider-man titles. Watch Miles Morales become a shell of himself as they try to fit him in . people who support brand loyalty are gonna gobble it up and not even notice that Morales is being characterized differently.
Oh, so because you don't like the different characterizations, no one else is allowed to?
I would love to read Batman, X-men regularly but there are so many spin-offs that the continuity is freaking joke! So I just enjoy the movies for whatever they are worth.
Well I can see your frustration with X-Men. Why isn't there just be 3 main X-books? One for Cyclops' team, one for Storm's team, and one for the original five. Plus.. none of it is that good. At least Bendis is leaving soon. Cross your fingers everybody, maybe we'll get a good X-line this time around. But Batman's pretty straightforward right now. There's Batman, Batman & Robin, and Detective Comics. Each has a different flavor, it's just up to you which one (or all) is the Batman you want to read about.
At this stage of my life, I just want to read really good comics, I don't want to get suckered into supporting entire line because I like one or two characters a lot. I don't buy everything Valiant puts out, but I have no trouble knowing what's going on. Anyone who thinks they need to buy every book is a fool.
I want to support Valiant comics by buying (almost) everything Valiant puts out because every single one of their books within the last year has ranged from very good to amazing. I also think, as a publisher, they're making the best creative and editorial decisions right now. So, yea, if that's brand loyalty, then brand loyalty ftw! :high-five: Is that not allowed?
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:17:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carson

Post by Carson »

I jumped all in with DC at the new 52. Once Valiant came along in 2012 and I realized my DC pile was growing out of control as I read and put away my Valiants instead, I dropped em. I miss batman, but I grab a trade now and then.

Valiant just gives me that interconnectedness that I crave in superhero comics. I want it all to feel like it's happening in a shared universe, and DC never scratched that itch.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Carson wrote:I jumped all in with DC at the new 52. Once Valiant came along in 2012 and I realized my DC pile was growing out of control as I read and put away my Valiants instead, I dropped em. I miss batman, but I grab a trade now and then.

Valiant just gives me that interconnectedness that I crave in superhero comics. I want it all to feel like it's happening in a shared universe, and DC never scratched that itch.
Pretty much a +1 to everything you said, Carson, except getting trades every now and then.

:popcorn: during this thread.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

cray_ws

Post by cray_ws »

TheFerg714 wrote:Damn dude, really? I actually (kind of) agree with what you're saying, but GammaJosh has completely valid reasons for picking Marvel over DC. It does seem silly to just ignore good books just because they're form a different publsiher, but I'm the type of person who likes all the different superhero-universes. Some people just like Marvel stories more than DC, and vice versa. There's nothing wrong with that. The industry (especially Marvel) has some serious problems and issues, but I don't think brand loyalty to one big 2 publisher, and not the other is doing anything particularly harmful to the industry. It's like Marveldrones and DCasuals cancel eachother out. :p
I'm not suggesting people can't like a company for putting out enjoyable comics, my issue is the blind assumptions that everything a publisher does is going be as good as the comic you fell in love with. There's a clear distinction of quality between your first taste and the last issue you read. Nostalgia creeps it's way in very easily because comics are about escapism and we tend to relax and enjoy what is fed to us. Yes, brand loyalty is very serious problem in the industry, many dealers are just fanboys with no business acumen. They support whatever DC and/or Marvel puts out because they are afraid they can't sell anything without their publishing logo on it. They have poor product analysis, and zero gumption to force any bargaining advantage with the establishment. They roll over for them, they eat multiple copies of crappy books for variants. Like said, they are just fanboys. They don't know a thing about running a business that has any chance of long term growth. Owning comic shop is just a freakin hobby to them.
lorddunlow wrote: Just because you think the shelves are glutted with crap doesn't mean everyone does.

Well, I gotta disagree with you there. I don't know how you've stuck through all these constant events, cancellations, relaunches and movie pandering, but to each his own. If you're enjoying the books, more power to you. It's not like Marvel is a barren-wasteland or anything. It's making some good books right now like Ms. Marvel, Superior Iron Man, and Hawkeye (literally all I could think of).
Yes there are some good books, but the vast majority of them are mediocre. Marvel needs to slim their line down. Too many Avenger titles, too many X-men titles and now they are gonna be expanding the Spider-man titles with this "Spider-verse" thing. All this has to do with marketing, and less about telling really good stories.

Oh, so because you don't like the different characterizations, no one else is allowed to?
I don't like when characters are not true to themselves. Like how I could tell Grifter was not the same character he was in his own DC series. It was like reading about someone else using his name and wearing his gear. I think a lot people don't care, they just want to be fed more of their beloved character. Many are willing to let things slide as long as it's not too much of a stretch. I think I've read like 7 different variations of Wolverine, from Loner to leader. Seriously go back and re-read Wolverine's first appearances in X-men, now can you picture him as leader and teacher? I get it that characters have some growth, but it's a huge stretch to be a hardcore loner to suddenly leading a band of teenage mutants. People accept this because they love Wolverine...they'd read about him if entire issue was about a cooking show and he SNIKTs the veggies. The lovable chef...cooking because he's the best at what he does. Seriously people on this board will say..."I'd buy that" of course you would because it's Wolverine, not because you're interested in cooking.

Well I can see your frustration with X-Men. Why isn't there just be 3 main X-books? One for Cyclops' team, one for Storm's team, and one for the original five. Plus.. none of it is that good. At least Bendis is leaving soon. Cross your fingers everybody, maybe we'll get a good X-line this time around. But Batman's pretty straightforward right now. There's Batman, Batman & Robin, and Detective Comics. Each has a different flavor, it's just up to you which one (or all) is the Batman you want to read about.
You hit the nail on the head, there's a different flavor for everyone, including Bruce Wayne the chef who uses his Batarangs to cut veggies. The problem here is that all these Bat-related books are not there for the story, they exist because it's marketing. I'm sorry but no one character or a the city of Gotham needs 7 titles to tell various stories that only converge (pun unintended) when sales are low and they spike it with an event. That's not comics...that's glorified paid advertisement brochure.
I want to support Valiant comics by buying (almost) everything Valiant puts out because every single one of their books within the last year has ranged from very good to amazing. I also think, as a publisher, they're making the best creative and editorial decisions right now. So, yea, if that's brand loyalty, then brand loyalty ftw! :high-five: Is that not allowed?
I support Valiant by not buying the stuff I don't like. I do that because I expect them to put out better stuff. I will not support crap and hold hope that they will get better. That kind of logic is why there are so many mediocre comics. I think many support their favorite company because they don't want to see them disappear, especially small publishers like Valiant. But truthfully throwing money at them is not going preserve their chances. If they want to survive the long term, they simply have to make better comics. I think X-0 MANOWAR could be so much better if they treated the art like they do with RAI. They need to raise their game if they want to compete with Marvel or DC.

All-Comic
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar / The Valiant
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by All-Comic »

...I think X-0 MANOWAR could be so much better if they treated the art like they do with RAI. They need to raise their game if they want to compete with Marvel or DC.
To each their own, sure. But X-O's art as been stellar. It's a completely different flavor than Rai, which is great. If everything looked the same, it'd be DC. Regardless, this thread took some terrible turns. My point was I was curious who left and how they're fairing. The quote below sums it up nicely, so thanks for that Carson.
I jumped all in with DC at the new 52. Once Valiant came along in 2012 and I realized my DC pile was growing out of control as I read and put away my Valiants instead, I dropped em. I miss batman, but I grab a trade now and then.

Founder/Editor-in-Chief of All-Comic.com
You can check out some of our Valiant posts and reviews right here!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

cray_ws wrote:Wolverine...they'd read about him if entire issue was about a cooking show and he SNIKTs the veggies. The lovable chef...cooking because he's the best at what he does. Seriously people on this board will say..."I'd buy that" of course you would because it's Wolverine, not because you're interested in cooking.
I don't really like Wolverine, and haven't bought a Wolverine book in 20 years, but I'd buy that book :P
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

jeremycoe wrote:
cray_ws wrote:Wolverine...they'd read about him if entire issue was about a cooking show and he SNIKTs the veggies. The lovable chef...cooking because he's the best at what he does. Seriously people on this board will say..."I'd buy that" of course you would because it's Wolverine, not because you're interested in cooking.
I don't really like Wolverine, and haven't bought a Wolverine book in 20 years, but I'd buy that book :P
+1 (except I'm a casual Wolverine fan)

This statement (of cray_ws) illustrates perfectly why his argument is riling me up.

To cray_ws - you assume that you know the reasons why people are buying books you don't like. You are wrong about it as far as my reasons (I think the books I read from Marvel are very well written and, above all, fun) and you're likely wrong about most people's reasons. I find it hard to believe that there are enough people buying the big 2 books just because who think the stories aren't good. I can totally understand how someone would be very disillusioned with some of the decisions that Marvel and DC have made for marketing reasons.

I personally don't understand why a lot of people read Saga. I've read it and enjoy it, but it is not worth $4 a month. I find a lot of it offensive for the sake of being edgy. Others disagree. Having said that, I'm sure many that read it truly love it. I would never tell someone that they shouldn't be reading it or that because they are reading it they are causing the industry to produce worse comics.

Don't make assumptions about others' motivations. You know what they say about assuming things...

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
+1 (except I'm a casual Wolverine fan)

This statement (of cray_ws) illustrates perfectly why his argument is riling me up.

To cray_ws - you assume that you know the reasons why people are buying books you don't like. You are wrong about it as far as my reasons (I think the books I read from Marvel are very well written and, above all, fun) and you're likely wrong about most people's reasons. I find it hard to believe that there are enough people buying the big 2 books just because who think the stories aren't good. I can totally understand how someone would be very disillusioned with some of the decisions that Marvel and DC have made for marketing reasons.

I personally don't understand why a lot of people read Saga. I've read it and enjoy it, but it is not worth $4 a month. I find a lot of it offensive for the sake of being edgy. Others disagree. Having said that, I'm sure many that read it truly love it. I would never tell someone that they shouldn't be reading it or that because they are reading it they are causing the industry to produce worse comics.

Don't make assumptions about others' motivations. You know what they say about assuming things...
no dumblow you're dumb. but you are right about saga. it blows *SQUEE*

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

lorddunlow wrote:I personally don't understand why a lot of people read Saga. I've read it and enjoy it, but it is not worth $4 a month. I find a lot of it offensive for the sake of being edgy. Others disagree. Having said that, I'm sure many that read it truly love it. I would never tell someone that they shouldn't be reading it or that because they are reading it they are causing the industry to produce worse comics.
I read Saga and I found it fairly uninspired. A lot of people like it I suppose because it's a fairly "progressive" comic or so I've heard, like a hard-left re interpretation of Flash Gordon (really don't get why people compare it to Star Wars because the two are nothing alike except for both being sci-fi fantasies :roll: ). But if the people who read it enjoy it, more power to them, but I won't be one of them

Carson

Post by Carson »

All-Comic wrote:My point was I was curious who left and how they're fairing. The quote below sums it up nicely, so thanks for that Carson.

Glad to help keep the thread on track :-)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

All-Comic wrote: My point was I was curious who left and how they're fairing.
Yeah, sorry about that. I derail every thread, so don't feel slighted.

I hope you do get your answers. I'd say there are plenty who ditched everything in favor of VEI. I'm not one of them. VEI brought me back into comics. Currently, none of my top 5 are VEI, unfortunately, but I still love what they bring to the table. I just long for the tight continuity and overlap of the VH1 era. (But I suppose there is a reason why they failed...)

Sir Sandrick
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: X-O/Aric
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Sir Sandrick »

omega_override wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I personally don't understand why a lot of people read Saga. I've read it and enjoy it, but it is not worth $4 a month. I find a lot of it offensive for the sake of being edgy. Others disagree. Having said that, I'm sure many that read it truly love it. I would never tell someone that they shouldn't be reading it or that because they are reading it they are causing the industry to produce worse comics.
I read Saga and I found it fairly uninspired. A lot of people like it I suppose because it's a fairly "progressive" comic or so I've heard, like a hard-left re interpretation of Flash Gordon (really don't get why people compare it to Star Wars because the two are nothing alike except for both being sci-fi fantasies :roll: ). But if the people who read it enjoy it, more power to them, but I won't be one of them
Gotta say that I look forward to Saga not only for Staples art, which I think she has taken up a notch in this book, but also BKV's writing which never fails to surprise me. It goes to some really weird places and while I enjoy that unpredictability I can see how others would find it off-putting.

Right now, other than the regular awesomeness that is Valiant, we are most excited to read Sheltered, Saga, Star Wars, Big Trouble in Little China, Nail biter, The Bunker, and Wicked+Divine. Due to the recent humble bundles for Dark horse and Image, we have a TON of a old stuff to get to as well. We love Valiant the most of course, but variety is the spice of life, right? Could you imagine how many great novels you'd be missing if you only read books by Penguin press?

We also get tons of recommendations for things to read so we have to somehow get to those as well...

I wouldn't be against reading a Marvel or DC book. Back in high school I was all in for x-men during the age of apocalypse phase. Neither company gives me any reasons (except for Star Wars that is) to read them any more. and that is ok, because really... I can't afford any more reasons lol

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Sir Sandrick wrote: We love Valiant the most of course, but variety is the spice of life, right? Could you imagine how many great novels you'd be missing if you only read books by Penguin press?
QFT Some of my favorite reads have been recent Marvel books. Most are Image. But Oni has great stuff, Dark Horse...

It is a great time to be a comic fan. I can't stick to just Valiant.

omega_override
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

lorddunlow wrote:QFT Some of my favorite reads have been recent Marvel books. Most are Image. But Oni has great stuff, Dark Horse...

I'm just waiting for "the big bang theory" geek fad to be over, the comics industry is probably going to crash and burn as hard as it did when the crash happened in the 90's when it's over

And I've honestly never read anything by Oni, they have anything good? Really not interested in Scott Pilgrim and I've heard good things about Sharknife

wwise03
Valiant fan since: Free Comic Book Day 2014
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by wwise03 »

I would not say there is nothing worth reading at Marvel or DC.

I've been reading since 2012 and generally only read Image books at first. I then dabbled in some Valiant stuff and was drawn into the entire universe. The only Valiant book I have not read is Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody because it seemed like old Valiant rather than new Valiant.

Recently, I've actually found that quite a few Marvel books have the sort of "indie flair" I look for in comic books. When I say "indie flair," I mean books that can be read on their own (no crossovers) and books that have a unique art style rather than using the same old house art style. So in Marvel's case, I am talking about books like Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Thor, Ant-Man, and the upcoming Howard the Duck and Spider-Gwen. All of those books feature unique art that is not necessarily in keeping with the same generic feel of some other books. For instance, with some of the Avengers books, it seems you could take the art from one Avengers book and put it in another and it would still make sense. I'm not knocking Avengers books because I haven't read them. They just aren't for me.

Now if I was more limited in how many books I could buy monthly, I would likely drop a few Marvel books before dropping any Valiant book. But if you can afford it, you ought to try to read some stuff from an assortment of publishers.

And for the record, Saga is only $3 rather than $4. My store offers a 10% discount. So I actually get it for $2.69. It is very worth $2.69 to me. The only thing I dislike about Valiant and Marvel are their $4 price points.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

wwise03 wrote: And for the record, Saga is only $3 rather than $4. My store offers a 10% discount. So I actually get it for $2.69. It is very worth $2.69 to me. The only thing I dislike about Valiant and Marvel are their $4 price points.
My bad. I only have read Saga because it came with the Humble Bundle.

jeremycoe
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

omega_override wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:QFT Some of my favorite reads have been recent Marvel books. Most are Image. But Oni has great stuff, Dark Horse...

I'm just waiting for "the big bang theory" geek fad to be over, the comics industry is probably going to crash and burn as hard as it did when the crash happened in the 90's when it's over

And I've honestly never read anything by Oni, they have anything good? Really not interested in Scott Pilgrim and I've heard good things about Sharknife
Oni publishes Letter 44 which is quite good. I'm sure they have other good books too, I just haven't read them.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.