The Valiant #1 Sells Out Of 22,000 First Print Run 

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: The Valiant #1 Sells Out Of 22,000 First Print Run 

Post by leonmallett »

bygranddesign wrote:True about Unity facepalm

I think it was 70K?

But it felt more like an Event than the 1st issue of a series. It would be very difficult to ever duplicate that again.

I think for Ninjak, Rai is a good, realistic sales target to aim for.
Unity also had a stupid/ridiculous/plethora* amount of variants too, don't forget.

*delete according to perspective.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Still, good news, but still while that that self-imposed limit is in place, I wonder that VEI will struggle to make as much hay as they could of the back of these things. And a definite improvement sales-wise over other recent VEI mini series, right?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

jkingman
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Zephyr
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart and Kindt
Favorite artist: CAFU; Clayton Henry

Post by jkingman »

My LCS ordered two extra copies...and this week, there were two copies on the shelf. I am tempted to buy them, I only grabbed one copy, have a few variants ordered too. But I also want to leave them on the shelf in case a new reader checks it out. So I think I'll wait until after issue 2 is out.
I <3 Faith!!!

here are my Valiant Kindle World stories!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp ... evancerank

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jkingman wrote:My LCS ordered two extra copies...and this week, there were two copies on the shelf. I am tempted to buy them, I only grabbed one copy, have a few variants ordered too. But I also want to leave them on the shelf in case a new reader checks it out. So I think I'll wait until after issue 2 is out.
My shop generally orders *very* light on Valiant now, and usually doesn't even get shelf copies. :cry:

Someone else at my shop ordered the 1:20 Lemire/Kindt variant for #1, which thankfully put a number of extra copies on the rack. I'm thinking of doing a mini-Free View & buying up any remainders after Christmas, to give right back to the store as free hand outs. :hm:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

*I generally want to order higher ratio Valiant variants when I can (if I like the art, too) to help get more copies on the shelf, but for the most part I can't afford to anymore, especially since my shop charges as much as $35 for 1:20's to cover the loss he anticipates in not selling books. :!:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:*I generally want to order higher ratio Valiant variants when I can (if I like the art, too) to help get more copies on the shelf, but for the most part I can't afford to anymore, especially since my shop charges as much as $35 for 1:20's to cover the loss he anticipates in not selling books. :!:
Do Canadian shops pay more for books? 20 copies at $2 each (wholesale) =$40. He can't sale any of those 19 other copies? (Not to mention, you probably would bone regular copy.) That's BS.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:*I generally want to order higher ratio Valiant variants when I can (if I like the art, too) to help get more copies on the shelf, but for the most part I can't afford to anymore, especially since my shop charges as much as $35 for 1:20's to cover the loss he anticipates in not selling books. :!:
Do Canadian shops pay more for books? 20 copies at $2 each (wholesale) =$40. He can't sale any of those 19 other copies? (Not to mention, you probably would bone regular copy.) That's BS.
Yeah, I dunno. :?

Maybe someone else has already ordered a 1:20 variant, so he'd be in it for 40 copies if I get one... And yeah, I think they probably pay a little more than $2 per book.

Last week my LCS also raised the cover prices by 10% over the US price, that's the first time in many many years since it was different. So it's $4.40 per Valiant comic for me now.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Maybe someone else has already ordered a 1:20 variant, so he'd be in it for 40 copies if I get one... And yeah, I think they probably pay a little more than $2 per book.

Last week my LCS also raised the cover prices by 10% over the US price, that's the first time in many many years since it was different. So it's $4.40 per Valiant comic for me now.
That's what the local guy did around here (I still get my comics from Ed, but was in buddy's shop with a friend)

Comics are all +15% since he says he pays in USD and quite a bit for shipping too.

Then, there is 15% tax on top (our normal tax rate in Nova scotia...) so every VEI comic from him is 5.29 Canadian!

I had mentioned about Variants to him before going with Ed, and he came with very similar, about $40 for a 1:20... said he didn't have the space or the buyers for them so any variants ordered have to come close to paying for the extra comics.

Comics are a very small part of his shop, its mostly Magic cards. While we were in there, I checked out what he had, and no VEI on the shelf, and maybe 1-2 copies of top 20 marvel/dc from the last few months.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Pretty soon you should receive a $10 US Valiant for the low-low price of free. :thumb:

jkingman
Favorite character: Zephyr
Favorite writer: Dysart and Kindt
Favorite artist: CAFU; Clayton Henry

Post by jkingman »

does anyone know the print run for The Valiant #4?
I <3 Faith!!!

here are my Valiant Kindle World stories!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp ... evancerank

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

david_albuq wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Pretty soon you should receive a $10 US Valiant for the low-low price of free. :thumb:
:high-five: Can't wait to see it, I'll let ya know when it arrives dude!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

nscc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

That's what the local guy did around here (I still get my comics from Ed, but was in buddy's shop with a friend)

Comics are all +15% since he says he pays in USD and quite a bit for shipping too.

Then, there is 15% tax on top (our normal tax rate in Nova scotia...) so every VEI comic from him is 5.29 Canadian!

I had mentioned about Variants to him before going with Ed, and he came with very similar, about $40 for a 1:20... said he didn't have the space or the buyers for them so any variants ordered have to come close to paying for the extra comics.

Comics are a very small part of his shop, its mostly Magic cards. While we were in there, I checked out what he had, and no VEI on the shelf, and maybe 1-2 copies of top 20 marvel/dc from the last few months.
No wonder you go with Ed, man!!

Taxes in (13% in Ontario), I'm at $4.96 per Valiant issue now with that little recent increase.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

jkingman wrote:does anyone know the print run for The Valiant #4?
No one knows the print run for The Valiant #2.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No wonder you go with Ed, man!!

Taxes in (13% in Ontario), I'm at $4.96 per Valiant issue now with that little recent increase.
My guy charges me $4 Canadian straight up no juice! We don't have PST here yet, but I'll have my pitchfork and torch ready if they do consider it. If I go to other shops it's cover + gst (5%) + exchange rate (around 15% thanks Saudis...dicks)

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Comics in general are a luxury @ $4 an issue 5-10 mins. I'm so waiting for another humble bundle. The last one was a great deal.

24 :hm:
hawkeyeps wrote: My guy charges me $4 Canadian straight up no juice! We don't have PST here yet, but I'll have my pitchfork and torch ready if they do consider it. If I go to other shops it's cover + gst (5%) + exchange rate (around 15% thanks Saudis...dicks)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

drmirage wrote:Comics in general are a luxury @ $4 an issue 5-10 mins. I'm so waiting for another humble bundle. The last one was a great deal.

24 :hm:
hawkeyeps wrote: My guy charges me $4 Canadian straight up no juice! We don't have PST here yet, but I'll have my pitchfork and torch ready if they do consider it. If I go to other shops it's cover + gst (5%) + exchange rate (around 15% thanks Saudis...dicks)
What gives with the counting? You're not bowing out too, are you?

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

That would suck if Elery left also :(

Here is my countdown if anyone cares

97508 :hm:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

bygranddesign wrote:That would suck if Elery left also :(

Oh no!!! Not you too, BGD! I'm not looking forward to that distant day when you leave... In a couple decades... :cry:

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

grendeljd wrote:

Oh no!!! Not you too, BGD! I'm not looking forward to that distant day when you leave... In a couple decades... :cry:
Yeah, sorry for the bad news :lol:

But i figure 100K is a good time to bow out.

Although, in a couple of decades if we develop the means to upload our minds to a computer mainframe .. I might have to amend this. :hm: :D

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

bygranddesign wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Although, in a couple of decades if we develop the means to upload our minds to a computer mainframe .. I might have to amend this. :hm: :D
What do you mean if? You never got an invitation to join the LiveWire™ program from VEI? :hm:

;)
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:

No worries. You'll always have me! I'm never leaving.

drmirage
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

:funnypost: :funnypost:

23 :hm:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

nscc wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

What do you mean if? You never got an invitation to join the LiveWire™ program from VEI? :hm:

;)
Hmmm - someone made a mistake there. It's just Dunlow who isn't supposed to know about that... :P

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Just like that bad smell... :hm:

You may never leave... But one day the rest of us may not be here anymore... (Shhh, don't anybody tell him about the Livewire thing!!) :lol:

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

nscc wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

;)
:lol: it must have got lost in the mail

Damn Mailman just ruined my chance at immortality

No Christmas card for him this year :sumo: